Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Can this stick play movies stored on a networked pc? Do it have Kodi? Thanks.

I use Kodi mainly for streaming live tv from my Saorview/DVBt TVHeadend Server in the attic and I find that for some reason the 4k Firestick, while being more responsive, quicker to switch through apps and having the very handy volume button is not as good as the older model at streaming DVBt saorview streams over my home LAN. I'm surprised at this as its a very nice and well spec's device.

Occasionally I get a greenscreen with just audio or nothing at all, but can still access the GUI. I often get audio lag on live tv, decoding pixelation and occasionally the stick freezes completely requiring restart - I didn't have these issues on the older firestick although it wasn't as responsive and remote lacked the volume button / mic. kodi, Hardware acceleration settings are the same as the previous version. Would be curious if anyone else come across the similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

I use the "Dream Player" app on the firestick to stream Saorview/satellite channels from an enigma 2 box. Works well. Can watch recordings from the box also through the Dream Player app.
    I was using raspberry pi 3's with kodi installed for this but I find Dream Player on the 4K firestick way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Thanks msmx5 but I meant can the stick play movie files stored on a network pc? I'd be curious to know if you've any experience of this. (I gather Plex can do it but Plex won't work on my pc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

Thanks msmx5 but I meant can the stick play movie files stored on a network pc? I'd be curious to know if you've any experience of this. (I gather Plex can do it but Plex won't work on my pc.)
    It can. I use Kodi for that

Yes . Ive got Kodi installed on my 4k firestick and I can stream movies from my NAS. Works great. It has replaced my old WDTV media player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Are the firesticks wifi only or can you get a network cable to work with them? If you have high quality broadband I know this is not an issue, but for some who need to stretch the best from their broadband, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Are the firesticks wifi only or can you get a network cable to work with them? If you have high quality broadband I know this is not an issue, but for some who need to stretch the best from their broadband, it is.

You can:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=fire+stick+network+adapter&crid=2H2F7RMS2OTCM&sprefix=firestick+net%2Caps%2C140&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_13

Thanks for that. They kinda all look a bit different which in itself is confusing. I have no idea what is the difference between them and which to buy!

Thanks for that. They kinda all look a bit different which in itself is confusing. I have no idea what is the difference between them and which to buy!

I use these ones. Ive got 3 and they work perfect.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LXP5TXI/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said where are these on amazon for £35 ?

• Advertisement

That said where are these on amazon for £35 ?

That was a month ago . No deals on firesticks at the moment.

Darn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

The sticks seem to be reduced to £34.99. It may be just a Prime offer, I'm not sure.

Finally took the plunge after reading the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fire sticks are back down in price on Amazon. £30 for the standard version and £35 for the 4k one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

muffler wrote:
    Fire sticks are back down in price on Amazon. £30 for the standard version and £35 for the 4k one.

I don't understand anyone buying the regular one & only saving 5 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't understand anyone buying the regular one & only saving 5 pounds.
    Dont know a pile about them myself but I have read and heard lots of people saying the 4k stick is the bees knees. So you are right in saying it would be stupid not to pay the £5 extra for a better product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

msmx5 wrote: »
    I use Kodi mainly for streaming live tv from my Saorview/DVBt TVHeadend Server in the attic and I find that for some reason the 4k Firestick, while being more responsive, quicker to switch through apps and having the very handy volume button is not as good as the older model at streaming DVBt saorview streams over my home LAN. I'm surprised at this as its a very nice and well spec's device.

Occasionally I get a greenscreen with just audio or nothing at all, but can still access the GUI. I often get audio lag on live tv, decoding pixelation and occasionally the stick freezes completely requiring restart - I didn't have these issues on the older firestick although it wasn't as responsive and remote lacked the volume button / mic. kodi, Hardware acceleration settings are the same as the previous version. Would be curious if anyone else come across the similar issues?

There's a issue with interlaced video on the 4k sticks.

Plenty of comments on github about it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

muffler wrote:
    Dont know a pile about them myself but I have read and heard lots of people saying the 4k stick is the bees knees. So you are right in saying it would be stupid not to pay the £5 extra for a better product.

It's the latest generation stick. Apart from it probably having faster memory etc it will have a longer life. They will update the software for longer with this model. They no longer support the early versions. All of this & it is 4k. If you don't have a 4k tv now, you might have one next year or the year after. The difference between the two sticks is well worth the extra 5 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Go for the 4k, it's amazing compared to the older one (have both), the old one's good too.

No video issues on mine, have viewed 4k movie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got a 4k stick at Christmas to replace one of the original sticks and it is infinitely better to use! Really fast and no issue with streaming 4k content over my wifi.

Really easy to sideload apps not available on the Amazon store too.

I've just bought a second one at this price to replace a Mi Box that I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Has anyone here replaced the standard launcher on a 4k firestick?

The amount of bloat on there is nuts if you just want to use 2 or 3 apps such as plex, dreamplayer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Danmj

Use DISCOUNT5 for extra £5 pound off

Danmj wrote: »
    Use DISCOUNT5 for extra £5 pound off

Doesn't seem to work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

discount didn't work for me either. forgot this needed addresspal too. you'd think at this stage they'd ship direct to ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Danmj

Sorry its MYDISCOUNT5, worked for me

nope still doesn't work for me :(
    must be account specific

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Danmj wrote: »
    Sorry its MYDISCOUNT5, worked for me

Thanks for code, worked perfect

Back down to £34.99
    Use code MYDISCOUNT5
    Select free postage

Works out at €34.92 + €3.99 AddressPal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

lukeeman wrote: »
    Thanks for code, worked perfect

Code worked for me too. €35 for the 4k stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

ITV PLayer works for OnDemand content without a VPN for me (no live streams).
    Channel 4 Player and 5 player the same.

Prime Video works for all Amazon-own content.
    Likewise with Netflix. You get the Irish version.

BBC iPlayer generally is Geo-blocked.

A VPN isn't really needed unless you're desperate for BBC or the live streams from ITV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement