Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Out of Season 2020

• 07-01-2020 10:21am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cheap Christmas Treats in January?
    Someone with their tree still up in February?
    A Christmas film on TV in the middle of March?
    Fairy lights for sale in April?

If so, this is the thread for you! Come in and let us know if you've seen something magical and festive at any random time of the year.
    And photos of anything festive are always very welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is anyone else disappointed by the discounted chocolate in the supermarkets? Dunnes didn’t have anything really. If anything it’s now I need the chocolate more than Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Is anyone else disappointed by the discounted chocolate in the supermarkets? Dunnes didn’t have anything really. If anything it’s now I need the chocolate more than Christmas :(

More than happy to stay away from all things chocolate until Easter myself... ate way too much of it over Christmas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Still have an unopened tin of biscuits, Celebrations sweets & a box of Dairy Milk as well as various leftover Heroes, Milk Tray & Lindt so i’m going to be engulfed in chocolate heaven for a little while longer though I’m being good & I’ve been increasing my fruit intake since returning to work on Monday & it will be my first day back in the gym on Saturday (God help me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

The silver lining here (where there is a 100% sin tax on pork) is that pork products are massively discounted, though their use by date is in the next day or two. I plan on hitting the one shop near me that sells pork this weekend and stocking up.

Driving around to the train station this morning & one house in our estate still had their full regalia of external lights up blinking away... having seen that I had a look out for the one apartment that for the last few years has kept their external lights on until near the end of January (I'd normally see it in the evenings when out running) but the entire block was in darkness & decoration free this morning, must check it tonight when I'm out for a run.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Driving around to the train station this morning & one house in our estate still had their full regalia of external lights up blinking away... having seen that I had a look out for the one apartment that for the last few years has kept their external lights on until near the end of January (I'd normally see it in the evenings when out running) but the entire block was in darkness & decoration free this morning, must check it tonight when I'm out for a run.

I noticed a good few last night in my estate when out walking the dog all with the external lights still on and shining, I think a few places will leave them up until this weekend. I know I wouldn't have the energy or time to take them down after work during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Only saw one house with full compliment of lights blazing away on way home last night. A few with one outside decoration still up but not light. Estate looks so dark now :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Jude13 wrote: »
    The silver lining here (where there is a 100% sin tax on pork) is that pork products are massively discounted, though their use by date is in the next day or two. I plan on hitting the one shop near me that sells pork this weekend and stocking up.
    Fill your freezer with all the pork!

We still have all our decorations up, we'll probably take most of them down this weekend but I'm tempted to leave the outdoor lights up. They look very pretty in the snow and nobody else around here seems to have taken down their outdoor lights yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Next year, the first day of 'Not Christmas', the 7th January, is on a Thursday. I'm definitely leaving everything up until the Saturday 9th then!

I have all my decorations down now, garlands, wreath, crib etc... the main sitting room tree is turned off (haven't the time or energy to put it away after work) but my hall tree and kitchen trees are still shining brightly, and will do so until the weekend.

I seen a few wreaths still on doors when walking the dog yesterday evening, which was cheery. :)

I counted 11 houses with decorations still up tonight when out for my walk. Very festive. :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Next year, the first day of 'Not Christmas', the 7th January, is on a Thursday. I'm definitely leaving everything up until the Saturday 9th

I seen a few wreaths still on doors when walking the dog yesterday evening, which was cheery. :)

Also fantastic idea. I’ll be doing the same myself!!

I counted 11 houses with decorations still up tonight when out for my walk. Very festive. :)

Not one left out our way. Driving home from my inlaws at 8.30 and didnt see a single house decorated on the way and that was from D13 to D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Two houses near me still have everthing up and lights turned on ...a number of years ago one particular house had everything still in place and lights on till beginning of February. Maybe the occupants had a good reason or maybe they just love Christmas but mid November till February is a bit much.
    One thing I will be doing this year is saving a regular amount each week from this week to off set the cost. Kids are getting older now and we found this year particularly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

picked up a set of 300 net fairy lights in Woodies for €21, meh 'deal'

Just seen ads for Christmas2u on virgin media.

Just seen ads for Christmas2u on virgin media.

Will be paying for the Christmas just gone for another couple of months :o

Donaghmede shopping centre still has it’s Christmas decorations up inside. Like all of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Observing Orthodox here; Christmas was January 7th and New Year is January 14th.

Donaghmede shopping centre still has it’s Christmas decorations up inside. Like all of them :D

To be fair that shopping centre is still in the 1970's :D

To be fair that shopping centre is still in the 1970's :D

Oldest shopping centre n Dublin... or so I'm led to believe :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd well believe it.
    I know it was the site of the first Kays kitchen too!

Showing my age however when I was in short pants, this and Northside where the only shopping centres going. Getting to go upstairs to the toyshop was a rare treat.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Showing my age however when I was in short pants, this and Northside where the only shopping centres going. Getting to go upstairs to the toyshop was a rare treat.

Remember it well. We had relatives living in Baldoyle & we used to pop in there occasionally, remember getting some die cast metal battleships in that upstairs toy shop (convinced its moved unit though, always remember it being were the upper floor of Dunnes is now) when i was about 7 or 8... its one of my earliest memories now. Amazing how much you forget as you get older.

Never liked Northside SC.

Remember it well. We had relatives living in Baldoyle & we used to pop in there occasionally, remember getting some die cast metal battleships in that upstairs toy shop (convinced its moved unit though, always remember it being were the upper floor of Dunnes is now) when i was about 7 or 8... its one of my earliest memories now. Amazing how much you forget as you get older.

Never liked Northside SC.

Haven't been inside in years. I have a vague memory of it being in front of the steps when you went upstairs.

Have reconnected with a couple of friends from school who haven't seen in 20+ years. When we chat about 'the old days' its amazing how we all remember different things!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The Northside has had a refurbishment and makeover in the last couple of years.

It's caught up to 1992 now. :)

Posy wrote: »
    The Northside has had a refurbishment and makeover in the last couple of years.

It's caught up to 1992 now. :)

This is true :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

So, I decided to plug the tree back in tonight. It's been a mental week so was planning to take it down tomorrow but had plugged it out.

Had a crap day in work today, was supposed to be off as it's my birthday but had to go in. So I'm being nice to me tonight and I wanted to plug the tree in, so I did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Tesco in Cabra tonight:

Celebrations tub €1.50 (dated February)
    Elite teacakes tin €3
    Tubes sweets (jelly tots, buttons etc) 57c
    225g Butler's chocolates €2.12 (dated September so great presents)

Had other stuff too but didn't purchase those so not sure of the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Happy birthday Caranica

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

Only 349 days or so to go until next Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement