Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

We beat Monaghan and then we need Galway not to win in Tyrone and we in the final, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'd like us to reach a league final. Don't see any negatives in getting there. If nothing else, it's another game in Croke Park which have been few and far between since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

We beat Monaghan and then we need Galway not to win in Tyrone and we in the final, right?

Yes
    Or Kerry to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Nothing against Schlingermann, but I don't see the point playing him next week. We should be using the Monaghan game to decide what players are going to start come championship. Clarke and Hennelly will be our 2 goalies for summer so no point playing anyone else.

I think Plunkett, Ruane and McDonagh will hold on to their starting position for the rest of the year. We don't look to have found anyone new in the full back/forward lines yet so that is where I'd experiment a bit next week.

Would like to see 2 of Drake/Crowe/O'Donoghue start. We all know what the full back line from yesterday can do at this stage. Try Diskin/Reape/Coen in the full forward line. Doherty has played every game so far.

I wouldn't make many other changes to the team.

Is Akram completely out of the picture at this stage? I suppose half-back is the line we are best covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jr86 wrote: »
    Clifford and geaney to obviously come in up front and Donoghue already looked sharp again

When asked at HT, Spillane reckons all three will come into the starting 15 come Championship. He also said that all their backs were half-backs (or play like half backs).
    Despite their abudance of quality, therein lies Kerry's weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is Akram completely out of the picture at this stage? I suppose half-back is the line we are best covered...

Don't think he has been in since the trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I'd like us to reach a league final. Don't see any negatives in getting there. If nothing else, it's another game in Croke Park which have been few and far between since 2017.

Can't see why we wouldn't be wanting a crack at it. We all know we've to be better earlier in the year this year. Also don't see the point in trying out a 3rd keeper at this stage unless he'll take no.1, what exactly can he do to take that spot would be my question. I would be hoping and expecting Horan to finish strong and start play near championship teams, with a deserved rest for Doc, DO'C and a couple others thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Even if we win next weekend I doubt we will be needed for a league final anyway. Personally think Monaghan will beat us next week as they need the win to definitely not be relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I can see Mayo playing a few marginal players next week.

They are safe in Div 1
    They need other results to get them to the final
    They have tried a lot of players
    The league work is for the most part done.

Don't be surprised if Monaghan avoid relegation.

Mayo were more or less safe since the 6 points was secured in round 3. Its the opposite with Monaghan now, it would be a surprise if they got relegated as they are point ahead of Roscommon and how likely are the rossie to get a result against table toppers Kerry off the back of three straight defeats?

The championship is many months off. Right now Mayo have the opportunity to play in and win NFL title (first for 18 years) and with no Dublin to play i see no reason why Horan and co won't go for it. And yes i know Galway could sneak into the final before Mayo but they have to beat a inform Tyrone in Omagh which is harder to do than beating Monaghan at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo were more or less safe since the 6 points was secured in round 3. Its the opposite with Monaghan now, it would be a surprise if they got relegated as they are point ahead of Roscommon and how likely are the rossie to get a result against table toppers Kerry off the back of three straight defeats?

The championship is many months off. Right now Mayo have the opportunity to play in and win NFL title (first for 18 years) and with no Dublin to play i see no reason why Horan and co won't go for it. And yes i know Galway could sneak into the final before Mayo but they have to beat a inform Tyrone in Omagh which is harder to do than beating Monaghan at home.

My feeling is that I'm not going to be too put out if they miss out on a league final.

I'd like to see them beat Monaghan thus finishing off the league with two good wins, but if Galway also get a win and are in a final instead of Mayo so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Is it just me but id be quite happy without making a league final and all the hype an ****e that would bring etc. The target is a Connacht final win and the super 8's, i dont think a league final does anything to help that.

I referenced this in the Galway thread but it makes more sense to have a the discussion here.

I simply can't fathom the idea that Mayo might be better off not making a league final because of hype and ****e.

Like Galway it's nearly twenty years since Mayo won a national senior football title of any description. A league isn't a substitute for All-Ireland success but at this stage it has to has rate at least as important as a provincial title for Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone and Galway. Most players in those squads have experienced provincial success but only Kerry have achieved national success this decade.

Winning the league can only give a team added belief and confidence going into the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

My feeling is that I'm not going to be too put out if they miss out on a league final.

I'd like to see them beat Monaghan thus finishing off the league with two good wins, but if Galway also get a win and are in a final instead of Mayo so be it.

I’d agree to this to some extent. I won’t be too bothered if we didn’t make a league final and it does depend on whether Horan plans to have a look at anyone else vs Monaghan before trimming the panel. That said, giving it a good crack against Monaghan and then a League final vs Kerry would do the squad no harm.

Monaghan won’t be just there for the fun of it next Sunday either as they need points to guarantee survival too.

Now that I say it, I’d actually love a league final. Get another game in Croke Park for some of the newer lads before the championship, as well as the chance of a National title. I can’t see that as being any hindrance to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Beat Monaghan and win the league.

Get some form of a winning mentality going ffs, when we've won nothing in years.

If nothing else, a days experience in CP for the nww faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

The more games the bigger the chance of injury we can’t afford to loose any big players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about getting to a league final or winning it. Let's face facts, they could win the league and a Connacht title but if they come up short in the summer again, nobody will care about either title and the year will be regarded as a failure and quickly forgotten about. The reality is that it's Sam or bust. Nothing else matters.

naughto wrote: »
    The more games the bigger the chance of injury we can’t afford to loose any big players

Injuries can happen in training so that's no excuse. If we don't reach the league final, players will be playing a club league game anyway.

BandMember wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't give a toss about getting to a league final or winning it. Let's face facts, they could win the league and a Connacht title but if they come up short in the summer again, nobody will care about either title and the year will be regarded as a failure and quickly forgotten about. The reality is that it's Sam or bust. Nothing else matters.

FFS, if we won the league and Connacht Championship that would be an excellent season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Winning is a great habit to breed. I hope they go all out to win every game they play between now and 1 September.

Can anyone here honestly say they think a league final win against Galway in Croke Park would be anything other than a huge boost going into Connacht, given recent history? Or putting a hotly tipped Kerry team to the sword again?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

BandMember wrote: »

A National League and Connacht title double would make 2019 Mayo's most successful season since 1951. That's an indisputable fact when you look at Mayo's list of honours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Win the league and its a huge conference boost.

Lets not win something attitude of some fans amazes me.

Winning is a great habit to breed. I hope they go all out to win every game they play between now and 1 September.

Can anyone here honestly say they think a league final win against Galway in Croke Park would be anything other than a huge boost going into Connacht, given recent history? Or putting a hotly tipped Kerry team to the sword again?

We have really struggled to beat Galway recently, especially with their defensive system.
    So I'd not be too confident of winning.
    Another game v them may help in trying to solve that.

I watched the match v Kerry back after being at it on Saturday.
    Should have won by much more.
    Wasted a lot of opportunities in the second half.
    I'd say Mayo would have the beating of them again in a final.

Cora Staunton has officially hung up her boots.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Cora Staunton has officially hung up her boots.
    Pity she finished the way she finished.
    No one's fault but her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’d expect Monaghan to beat us, they have something to play for where we have the chance to make the final, no matter how you try and get your head around it they have something tangible to play for and I think we’ll see that.

However, I’d be delighted if we did go to the final, a game in CP that’s not Dublin and a good chance at winning it, especially if it was Kerry in the final, beating them again would be a real boost for the summer, good to have them young lads used to seeing the green and red as a superior team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The fear factor of losing another final in Croke Park is evident in a lot of posts here.
    Beating Kerry in a league final in Croke Park would give Mayo huge confidence going into the summer. No training session will ever give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

BENDYBINN wrote:
    The fear factor of losing another final in Croke Park is evident in a lot of posts here. Beating Kerry in a league final in Croke Park would give Mayo huge confidence going into the summer. No training session will ever give them that.

A new team will walk away this year with a league title and a large step taken in terms of progress. Anyone who cannot see that is fooling themselves. These opportunities don't come too often and there is no guarantee teams will always be in the top flight to win a title.

Arragh feck it

I'm all on for a league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Is the game on Sunday on TG4?

• Advertisement

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Is the game on Sunday on TG4?

No.

Games for this weekend.Two hurling semi finals live and one football game deferred.

Dublin v Limerick Nowlan Park 1.30pm

TG4 Galway v Waterford Nowlan Park 3.30pm

Tyrone v Galway Healy Park Deferred

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement