Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2 years to the day since Lawler v Condit at UFC 195. What a cracking fight that was.

Duffy lost to Poirier that night too.

Can’t believe that was 2 years ago already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Paully D wrote: »
    2 years to the day since Lawler v Condit at UFC 195. What a cracking fight that was.

Duffy lost to Poirier that night too.

Can’t believe that was 2 years ago already!

Potentially the last hurrah for both of them in hindsight. One win out of five combined fights since and Lawler just about scraped by Cowboy to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be fair there is proof that she has used PEDs in the past and her body type does look insane if natural.

I am not arguing if she is using PEDs right now or if she isn't (cause we can't speculate here) but I do think her career has been helped by her use in the past.
    The insults he posted (publically) had nothing to do with PED use. That's bullshït deflection from JW.
    Michelle Smith was a laughing stock due to her drug test history. But I've never once heard anyone say she has a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sort of losing interest in UFC now. People exciting about Cris Cyborg headlining and giving her a huge pass in the process too. Drugs are ruining the sport. Credibility on WWE levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The Nal wrote: »
    Sort of losing interest in UFC now. People exciting about Cris Cyborg headlining and giving her a huge pass in the process too. Drugs are ruining the sport. Credibility on WWE levels.

Same bud. It's like any sport though. The initial nostalgia has worn off for sure and the people you first enjoyed watching have all retired/are not near the top anymore.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Same bud. It's like any sport though. The initial nostalgia has worn off for sure and the people you first enjoyed watching have all retired/are not near the top anymore.

I remember watching UFC 1 in 1994, some VHS tape that was been passed about that was fun to watch, and Ive been enjoying its increase in popularity but its failing badly now as a legit sport.

Anderson Silva (all the Silvas actually), Jon Jones, Vitor, Overeem, Lesnar, Cyborg and so on all juiced up to the tits. Its becoming a bit of a freak show the moire USADA get involved.

I remember watching UFC 1 in 1994, some VHS tape that was been passed about that was fun to watch, and Ive been enjoying its increase in popularity but its failing badly now as a legit sport.

Anderson Silva (all the Silvas actually), Jon Jones, Vitor, Overeem, Lesnar, Cyborg and so on all juiced up to the tits. Its becoming a bit of a freak show the moire USADA get involved.
    You think the fighters back in the day weren't up to their eyeballs in muscle sauce? That's a little naive tbh.
    Vitor popped a decade before USADA got involved.

Mellor wrote: »
    You think the fighters back in the day weren't up to their eyeballs in muscle sauce? That's a little naive tbh.
    Vitor popped a decade before USADA got involved.

They were all off their chops aswell yep. But it was a sort exhibition thing back then. A sideshow. Its now a 4 billion dollar business and they're giving out about it not being a legit sport in places.

For years I thought it should be a legit sport here but I'm not so sure now - meaning they'll get some of my tax money - if the culture in the top organisation in the world is so toxic with juiceheads. Do we want to promote this sport to children? I've no issue with the violence side of it. Its the drugs that are the issue.

Dana's "oh yeah sure what can you do" attitude to doping is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What are you on about here. It's more of a freak show since usada got involved? You prefer it when everyone was a freak and not getting tested?
    Think you just lost a few quid on Holm yeah?

You never mentioned this before, but now the last 2 days you won't shut up about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So you liked the sport before regulation, when it was all just a bit of a freak show, a spectacle if you will. But now, with regulation and testing (that can ALWAYS be better) you think it's more comparable to WWE? I'm not sure you know your arse from your elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They were all off their chops aswell yep. But it was a sort exhibition thing back then. A sideshow. Its now a 4 billion dollar business and they're giving out about it not being a legit sport in places.

For years I thought it should be a legit sport here but I'm not so sure now - meaning they'll get some of my tax money - if the culture in the top organisation in the world is so toxic with juiceheads. Do we want to promote this sport to children? I've no issue with the violence side of it. Its the drugs that are the issue.

So because of drugs, it's not a legit sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yeah, pretty embarrassing. Although on these boards, it's not uncommon for some of our highly intelligent posters to find it hilarious to insult Cyborg and her appearance so we shouldn't get high and mighty.

I think that same as lesnar, cris justino were ridiculous drug cheats.

Their bodies have been massively altered due to this and despite being "clean" now, they still are reaping the benefit of years of cheating.

Nobody is picking at her because she's a buff woman, it's not a gender thing.

Much like lesnar it's because she is a dirty cheat.

double post

What are you on about here. It's more of a freak show since usada got involved? You prefer it when everyone was a freak and not getting tested?
    Think you just lost a few quid on Holm yeah?

You never mentioned this before, but now the last 2 days you won't shut up about it

Relax there Dana. I don't gamble.

Dunno, just looking back over the last year in UFC. Im losing track of the amount of people getting done. Its like cycling now when it should be going in the other direction. Its difficult to get invested in an event or a fight or a fighter when they're juicing.

The big end of year celebration event headlined by a woman who has been drastically altered by growth hormone and testosterone and the like was a bit of a bummer.

Still looking forward to 2018 in UFC but every year it dies a little.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    So because of drugs, it's not a legit sport?

No its a sport clearly but its credibility is in the bin.

Anderson Silva, greatest ever, drugs cheat.

Jon Jones, new greatest ever, drugs cheat.

Brock Lesnar, biggest draw ever, drugs cheat.

Loads of the top guys are drug cheats. It happened in cycling and (rightly) ruined the sport. Yet when its called out in MMA a load of newbie fanboys get butthurt about it.

No its a sport clearly but its credibility is in the bin.

Anderson Silva, greatest ever, drugs cheat.

Jon Jones, new greatest ever, drugs cheat.

Brock Lesnar, biggest draw ever, drugs cheat.

Etc.

By that logic, so are most professional sports.
    Pretty much all sports have some level of doping in them, it's just trying to catch them as they figure out new ways to avoid detection.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    By that logic, so are most professional sports.
    Pretty much all sports have some level of doping in them, it's just trying to catch them as they figure out new ways to avoid detection.

"Some level" is very very different from "most of the top guys".

Lance Armstrong, Justin Gatlin etc are vilified yet people can't wait for Bones or Lesnar to come back once they've served their bans. Multiple offenders. Career long drugs cheats.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I think that same as lesnar, cris justino were ridiculous drug cheats.

Their bodies have been massively altered due to this and despite being "clean" now, they still are reaping the benefit of years of cheating.

Nobody is picking at her because she's a buff woman, it's not a gender thing.

Much like lesnar it's because she is a dirty cheat.
    When the insult is mocking her gender, and only mocking her gender, with no reference to the PEDs - it's very much a gender thing. Bizzare to suggest otherwise.

I've no problem with having a go over PEDs btw. I've no time for drug cheats, and have had a go myself in the past.

"Some level" is very very different from "most of the top guys".
    I was being vague on purpose there with "some level"

Drug cheating is drug cheating, no matter if you're one of the top athletes, there's not really levels of drug cheating that are ok.

So you had no issue with drugs when it was untested. But now they are testing, the drugs are the issue?
    That's a special kinda of hypocrisy tbh.

As for the UFC attitude to drugs/testing. Who do you think brought in USADA testing, and is footing the bill for the testing.
    If you think drugs are rife in promotions not testing you're insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I don’t understand this logic TBH, @ The Nal.

Surely if you enjoy the actual sport, and hate the cheats, you should be happy that the cheats are being weeded out? At the moment at the top of the sport are people like Mighty Mouse, Holloway etc who (in my opinion) are clean as a whistle. That can only be a good thing, especially seeing as you despite the cheating so much?

The UFC have been unbelievably proactive in weeding out the cheats, and have no problem scuppering their own events (for the most part) should someone get caught – ie Jon Jones a couple of days before UFC 200. I don’t know if you follow soccer but in my eyes, the powers that be do literally nothing to even scratch the surface of potential doping.

Doping is prevalent in the top level of every sport in the world IMO – UFC should be commended for being one of the few top sports leagues that do anything about it.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    So you had no issue with drugs when it was untested. But now they are testing, the drugs are the issue?
    That's a special kinda of hypocrisy tbh.

It was a sideshow then, not a serious sport. Morbidly obese guys against BJJ blackbelts and the like.
    dulux99 wrote: »
    I don’t understand this logic TBH, @ The Nal.

Surely if you enjoy the actual sport, and hate the cheats, you should be happy that the cheats are being weeded out? At the moment at the top of the sport are people like Mighty Mouse, Holloway etc who (in my opinion) are clean as a whistle. That can only be a good thing, especially seeing as you despite the cheating so much?

Oh of course. But UFCs attitude to the people getting caught is poor. Its just very offputting. I'm still and always will be a fan but when the top guys are all getting done it spoils it a bit.

No biggie but its getting to the stage that I'm nearly assuming all the top guys are juicing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mighty Mouse and Holloway done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I think the Nal finally found out that Santa wasn't real this Christmas.

The UFC have been unbelievably proactive in weeding out the cheats, and have no problem scuppering their own events (for the most part) should someone get caught – ie Jon Jones a couple of days before UFC 200.

That was USADA who removed Jones before 200. Dana has no problem putting Jones in the main event for a title shot as soon as he serves his ban though right? Thats the bit I don't like. And then he gets done again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The UFC have been unbelievably proactive in weeding out the cheats, and have no problem scuppering their own events (for the most part) should someone get caught – ie Jon Jones a couple of days before UFC 200.

That was USADA who removed Jones before 200. Dana has no problem putting Jones in the main event for a title shot as soon as he serves his ban though right? Thats the bit I don't like. And then he gets done again!!
    So did you prefer it back in the days where they didn't bother catching anyone?

It was a sideshow then, not a serious sport. Morbidly obese guys against BJJ blackbelts and the like.
    The sideshow ended over a decade before USADA stepped it. It was a sideshow for the early events. But since the late 90s there's been weight classes, rules, gloves etc.
    Some of the fighters that you had no problem with using PEDs back then, are the same fighters you can calling out for Ped use now. Surely you see how that's weird?

So did you prefer it back in the days where they didn't bother catching anyone?

No. But it was an unregulated underground thing then. I didn't watch it a whole lot. Bits here and there. I'd just expect UFC to take a harder line with repeat offenders now they're a global brand.

Jon Jones failing a test and then being given a title shot two weeks after his ban was up is crazy. Should've had to go through 2 or 3 fights clean before he got the shot.

They're also going to be involved in constant law suits forever. Starting with people like Mark Hunt very shortly. Much like WWE are involved in at the moment.

Its still the best growing sport in the world don't get me wrong but I've no real interest in watching fights where one fighter is juiced up and the other isn't.

JacksonWink are apparently on a 20 fight losing streak in the UFC. :eek:

Miesha is pegnant with Johnny Nunez’s baby. He’s the guy who has lost 3 fights on 2 seasons of TUF (TUF 22 and 25) :pac:

He is/was at Xtreme Couture so I’d bet that was all fairly messy.

Poor auld Caraway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just about Cyborg, I found this picture online showing how she has changed.

DSkLJbmW0AckNdM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Just about Cyborg, I found this picture online showing how she has changed.

DSkLJbmW0AckNdM.jpg

Is this real? Middle picture looks like 2 different people altogether

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement