Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Earphones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

As always I preface my question with an admission that I am a complete non-techie.

Son hoping to get a 2nd hand iphone at Christmas but we may not have it for Christmas Day. Can Apple Earbuds be used in every type of device, not just Apple?

Many thanks from a demented Mrs Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

As always I preface my question with an admission that I am a complete non-techie.

Son hoping to get a 2nd hand iphone at Christmas but we may not have it for Christmas Day. Can Apple Earbuds be used in every type of device, not just Apple?

Many thanks from a demented Mrs Santa.

Fairly sure you can. Once you pair up bluetooth it doesn't matter if it's apple or Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

THanks very much, mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

Xiaomi Mikey <<< Possible, Offline FM Radio with Bluetooth Devices!

I got a pair of QCY Q29 Pro from the aliexpress 11/11 sale and they have been working well for me.

Also have a cheap S530 earbud, that i use occasionally for mono sound when I want to hear backgrounds.

Also used below in the past (bought 2015) and they still work

High quality Andoer Digital 4 in 1 Stereo Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR Headphones Wireless Headset

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Suckit wrote: »
    They are a nice earbud, i bought them to try out and they are surprisingly well fitting (when you use the correct ear-cup), no chance of them falling out.
    The box is the charger so the whole unit is quite handy to have.
    When they arrived i could not charge them :o and found that there is a small bit of tape protecting the contacts. Needs to be removed first :D. But after that with a small bit of fiddling to get them into the correct positions, they charged no problem. The charger LED on the box turns white when they are fully charged, but will not change white it the contacts are not sitting properly in the box (another thing that took me a little while to figure out).
    You also have to remove the right one first from the charger otherwise they will misconnect. If you remove the left earpiece first, it can take up to a minute to reseat them properly and then remove them in the correct order.
    The sound from them is very clear, there is no background noise, and not a great deal of bass. They are very decent for the price. Neither amazing nor bad, and are comfortable.

I tried them in headset mode once very briefly. When a call comes in, the voice (female) calls out the phone number that is ringing you can tap the button to stop it. There are other button commands (redial etc) but i never planned to use them as a headset, so did not.
    I had to charge them with normal use after roughly 4-5 hours, even though it says in the packaging that it is 12 hours.
    As soon as you place them in the charger, they disconnect, and reconnect as soon a you take them out. Also, if you place them in the box to charge, and the box is nearly out of charge, instead of disconnecting or charging, they will connect and drain themselves, so you must be careful that the box is fully charged.
    They were up above $50 at one stage, which is the main reason i bought them at the $35 price. I have since given them away to a younger relative (by coercion, not choice :))

Cheaper here €19.40 https://www.joybuy.com/3298199.html
    The last thing i bought from these, took less than 2 weeks if i remember correctly.
    They look the business, tnx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

just ordered.. thanks

trev44 wrote: »

just ordered.. thanks
    Yeah going to do the same for the small fella, great price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I know a little more expensive. I bought these six months ago - brilliant

AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Sports Headphones with Microphone, Grey, Normal size headphones https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018XNGQOE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dcMZAbY87T2F4

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Interesting.

I'm holding out until someone makes an android version of the airpods.

Like the Pixel Buds....except not crap.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Interesting.

God didn't read it properly, thought they worked for Android aswell

• Advertisement

Since I resurfaced this thread with a post, some notes!

I repeat I got QCY Q29 Pro from an aliexpress 11/11 sale for @ €21.44, they may be a better version than @Suckit linked and not plagued by the bugs he reported.

I have linked a seller below.

Interesting.

God didn't read it properly, thought they worked for Android aswell

If your looking for an Airpod clone? Maybe not fully featured as them.

New Upgraded i7S Bluetooth 4.2 Earbuds Headphones with Charge Dock Twins Earpieces
    €8.25 €41.29

For actual official Apple Airpods someone mentioned an app that make them work on android! If i can find the post/app, i will link it.
    Found it: - Headset Button ControllerTrial, thanks to this post.

Back to the start of my post!

QCY Q29 Pro

QCY Q29 Pro TWS Bluetooth Headsets Stereo Earbuds with Charging Box - English Version
    €20.64 €37.98 <<<< Price around they probably can get got cheaper

Alternative cloned version of the above.

TWS-320 Bluetooth 4.1 Earbuds Headsets with Mic & Charge Dock
    €19.81 €40.46

Note/Disclaimer: -Free delivery for Zapals can take anything from 6 to 12 weeks <<< Order from there at your own risk.
    Just checked and postage for higher priced items:- Registered with tracking (7-30 days) €3.68

Another earbud that I use regularly as mentioned in my previous post: -

Briame Mini S530 Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Stereo Headset with MIC

€2.85 / piece

^^^ Originally paid €4.47 for one ordered in 2016, currently waiting on another delivery of one for €1.63 (seller no longer offering it), need it because the charge cable is showing wires on my old one. Price around for it.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interesting.

Why they sound and look crap.

Jaybirds ruin them in sound appearance and battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

listermint wrote: »
    Why they sound and look crap.

Jaybirds ruin them in sound appearance and battery life.

I don't really care about sound. I only listen to audiobooks and podcasts....but I listen to a lot of those. And I'd disagree that they look crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fully signed up Apple hater. I'll never enter their ecosystem....but damnit it looks like they got the airpods pretty much perfect first time.

The big sellers for me would be:

1. Assistant integration. Can anyone match the Airpods feature that detects vibrations when you speek? Yeah Google assistant is streets ahead of Siri, and the real time translation feature they debuted with the Pixel Buds sounded interesting (even if it didn't work), so whilst nobody's close to Apple yet, when Google catch up it should be pretty cool. (I quite liked the dystopian future imagined in the movie Her)

2. Hardware and design. Like I said, I don't think the airpods are ugly. I think they look far more discreete and comfortable than some of the big black lumps that stick out horizontally. And the case looks just right. (Even though I presume I'd need one of those Apple chargers...so no. Just no.)

3. Features. Apple can integrate their products in a way that more generic manufacturers probably never can, but I'm very jealous of the pairing feature that activates as soon as you open the case. Has any non-apple manufacturer anything similar to the feature that detects when they're in your ear?

Seriously. I hate the fact that I like the airpods. Hope the Pixel Buds 2 are a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

I ordered the original QCY earphones based on Suckits post.

They took ages to arrive - think I finally got them in late Jan.

His review is spot on, a little bug at time, not great battery life but sound quality very good for that price. The case is also very neat and tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Was looking for a reasonable pair of headphones to listen to podcasts while jogging & have finally found a pair that work well for me. For once they just connect to my phone without having to go through the pain of unpair/repair as a few cheaper pairs always made me do. The over ear ones suit me better vs the ones with the little wings as I was forever having to push them back into my obviously elephant like ears :)

https://www.tomtop.com/p-da104.html

447990.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

corkie wrote: »
    For actual official Apple Airpods someone mentioned an app that make them work on android! If i can find the post/app, i will link it.
    Found it: - Headset Button ControllerTrial, thanks to this post.

Wow thanks for the link. But it doesn't work for me (Airpods + Samsung Galaxy S7).

The Airpods do work with Android as in:
    - Simple enough pairing (open case, press button, scan, there you go)
    - Double Tap to pause/unpause
    - Battery levels of both pods and case visible through extra app (AirBattery, free, with ads, works flawlessly)
    - Removing the airpods from the case connects them to the phone (if bluetooth is on, obviously)
    - Returning them to the case disconnects them from the phone

The reason I got AirPods is because they're the only truly wireless earpods on the market (there are in ear ones, but in ears make me feel really weird). And I knew they'd fit me perfectly because I used the wired ones before (I had iphones until a few years ago). They fit me perfectly and the airpods are so light you forget they're there.

It's the opposite of a bargain though :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

opus wrote: »
    Was looking for a reasonable pair of headphones to listen to podcasts while jogging & have finally found a pair that work well for me. For once they just connect to my phone without having to go through the pain of unpair/repair as a few cheaper pairs always made me do. The over ear ones suit me better vs the ones with the little wings as I was forever having to push them back into my obviously elephant like ears :)

https://www.tomtop.com/p-da104.html

447990.png

I have that issue with earbuds also. One fits perfectly, the other keeps falling loose. I've changed the buds to all different shapes but it's annoying.

Might give these a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

....... wrote: »
    I use buds shaped like this now and all good.

10x-grey-Ear-tips-buds-earbud-eartip-for-all-beats-tour-sony-headphone-Tr-LargeFree-shipping.jpg

Ordered thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I got these last week, very reliable, pair instantly and great sound and intuitive controls. I highly recommend.

I have had 2 other bluetooth earphones that were worse than useless.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CTSYHH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B075CTSYHH&pd_rd_wg=fcJmU&pd_rd_r=59P63FAYZRWBV77D54A9&pd_rd_w=3rxTB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't really care about sound. I only listen to audiobooks and podcasts....but I listen to a lot of those. And I'd disagree that they look crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fully signed up Apple hater. I'll never enter their ecosystem....but damnit it looks like they got the airpods pretty much perfect first time.

The big sellers for me would be:

1. Assistant integration. Can anyone match the Airpods feature that detects vibrations when you speek? Yeah Google assistant is streets ahead of Siri, and the real time translation feature they debuted with the Pixel Buds sounded interesting (even if it didn't work), so whilst nobody's close to Apple yet, when Google catch up it should be pretty cool. (I quite liked the dystopian future imagined in the movie Her)

2. Hardware and design. Like I said, I don't think the airpods are ugly. I think they look far more discreete and comfortable than some of the big black lumps that stick out horizontally. And the case looks just right. (Even though I presume I'd need one of those Apple chargers...so no. Just no.)

3. Features. Apple can integrate their products in a way that more generic manufacturers probably never can, but I'm very jealous of the pairing feature that activates as soon as you open the case. Has any non-apple manufacturer anything similar to the feature that detects when they're in your ear?

Seriously. I hate the fact that I like the airpods. Hope the Pixel Buds 2 are a big step up.

They look hilarious the design is stunted it only looks like that because they kept falling out.

When an earbud looks like someone chopped the cable off it you know it's half arsed.

Nobody thinks they look good .

They got the function right that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Looking for a pair of Bluetooth over ear headphones. Can anyone recommend a good pair for 30euro or less

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can anyone reccomend a Bluetooth set with good range? How far can i realistically expect to go before earphones begin to crackle?im sure i had a pair before that i got a good 40 feet from, while any set I've tried since struggle at 15 feet.

I generally only use them for podcasts too.

X9 Magnetic Bluetooth 4.1 Headset Noise Canceling Sports Headphones
    €2.47 €9.90

x9_bluetooth_4.1_headset_magnetic_sports_stereo_earphones_zp3020910601114_1_.jpg

^^^ Do not know if there any good but someone might like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

mjp wrote: »
    Looking for a pair of Bluetooth over ear headphones. Can anyone recommend a good pair for 30euro or less
    Guffy wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend a Bluetooth set with good range? How far can i realistically expect to go before earphones begin to crackle?im sure i had a pair before that i got a good 40 feet from, while any set I've tried since struggle at 15 feet.

I generally only use them for podcasts too.

Just over €30 but only by €2 - The JBL T450BT (White) are on sale in Argos for €31.99 (Black pair are €49.99)
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6259862/Trail/searchtext%3EJBL+T450.htm

I like them in white, but if you don't, it's Argos so you can bring them back for a refund within 7 days. (Black on Amazon)
    I could not say the distance, but in the comments on amazon a few people mention that the wireless range is quite good.
    https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bluetooth-T450BT-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B01NAGJ9Z4#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Lightweight-Foldable-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B01M6WNWR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523666319&sr=8-1&keywords=JBL+t450BT#customerReviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭the corpo

I have the earlier iteration of these, Anker Soundbud Slims, and think they're absolutely fantastic. Bought a few as presents, and people are amazed how good they are.

Tempted to upgrade to this new version, but the current pair have served me so well, I'd feel disloyal.

http://amzn.eu/iD3o9km

Have an Anker bluetooth speaker as well, that's also brilliant, it's kind of baffling how good the stuff is for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

[androidpolice] TicPods Free are affordable true wireless earbuds with touch controls from Mobvoi <<< Indiegogo

[Indiegogo] TicPods Free: most interactive wireless earbuds
    Designed for life on the move, TicPods Free ensures your audio is clear and under your control.

$79 USD+ Shipping $129 (38% Off) TicPods Free Early-Bird
    1109 out of 2000 claimed

myv4qhd41bq5xtwgnnqh.jpg

^^^ In ear airbuds with Apple Airpods wing and look.

• Advertisement

Air TWS T03 Bluetooth 4.1 Earbuds with Mic and Charging Box

2017-NEW-Air-TWS-T03-Genuine-Wireless-Bluetooth-4-1-Earphones-Mini-Stereo-Headset-with-Style.jpg_640x640.jpg

Zapals €16.51 + Free shipping at present.

Aliexpress € 17,21 + €1.59 cheapest shipping option.

Amazon.co.uk £24.17 (~~EUR 35,71 incl P&P)

Can not find any reviews of the product, QCY Q29 Pro which is dearer might be a better option. Someone might like the style of the above version.

@Evil_g The TicPods Free, look like something you would like? Did you order?

Advertisement