Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Here you go.

Hair looks good but they really messed up your eyebrows mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AmirPelavin01

did they say how long will the entire process take? I hope it will be effective for you. wishing dgoodluck for you on that brother. I know there are lots of successful transplants before, I hope you are a success as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

Hair looks good but they really messed up your eyebrows mate.

I thought the eyebrows looked natural

did they say how long will the entire process take? I hope it will be effective for you. wishing dgoodluck for you on that brother. I know there are lots of successful transplants before, I hope you are a success as well.

Will take a full year for everything to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Desmond Full Conduit

Here you go.

This looks way better than a super low straight-edge hairline discussed earlier in the thread. It looks like you have good density and will be able to maintain that hairline. A conservative approach is better than overharvesting and it wouldn't take much to bring in the temples and contour them in to your new hairline.

• Advertisement

This looks way better than a super low straight-edge hairline discussed earlier in the thread. It looks like you have good density and will be able to maintain that hairline. A conservative approach is better than overharvesting and it wouldn't take much to bring in the temples and contour them in to your new hairline.

Yeah it's made a massive improvement already. So tempted to just fill int he temples though.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Yeah it's made a massive improvement already. So tempted to just fill int he temples though.

Your case sounds quite bizarre. I’ve never seen or heard of someone having a hair transplant and only getting the middle of their hairline done. When they outlined the hairline to you did you not feel you could speak up then to say something? May I ask have your temples receded much more than when you were a teenager? Would you say that you’re only looking to restore them to as near to what they were? I see a lot of people nowadays bringing hairline lower than it ever was and it looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Been following this thread for quite some time, I had an FUT procedure carried out about 6 years ago with c.2500 grafts implanted mainly on the front, at the time I knew I would most likely need a second round as I my crown was thinning and I didn't get anything done in that area at the time, flash forward to tomorrow and I'm off to Turkey to hopefully get it sorted once and for all.

Mainly looking for the crown area to be filled and increasing the density in the mid and frontal areas as I can really see the difference with the density of my natural hair which has continued to recede and the remaining transplanted hair from the previous surgery.

Feeling extremely nervous about this trip but reading about others experiences here with the same clinic i've booked gives me some reassurance. I will keep you posted on how it goes for anyone interested.

Wish me luck!

Your case sounds quite bizarre. I’ve never seen or heard of someone having a hair transplant and only getting the middle of their hairline done. When they outlined the hairline to you did you not feel you could speak up then to say something? May I ask have your temples receded much more than when you were a teenager? Would you say that you’re only looking to restore them to as near to what they were? I see a lot of people nowadays bringing hairline lower than it ever was and it looks ridiculous.

I did challenge them but they refused saying it would not look natural and I could recede further. My temples receded rapidly when I was 16 and have only moved back very slightly ever since. It's the forlock that got smaller and smaller over the years. I trusted them but now I'm not so sure. Feel like they could have improved the temples even a little bit.

I did challenge them but they refused saying it would not look natural and I could recede further. My temples receded rapidly when I was 16 and have only moved back very slightly ever since. It's the forlock that got smaller and smaller over the years. I trusted them but now I'm not so sure. Feel like they could have improved the temples even a little bit.

I would complain. Tell them it’s not what you asked for. You’ve been very polite having not named them so far. If they had done that to a lot of other people they might not be so lucky. They might even offer to do the temples at a reduced price / for free (doubtful but worth a try). If you were happy with the grafts they did place then this might be a runner.

• Advertisement

anonafue wrote: »
    Been following this thread for quite some time, I had an FUT procedure carried out about 6 years ago with c.2500 grafts implanted mainly on the front, at the time I knew I would most likely need a second round as I my crown was thinning and I didn't get anything done in that area at the time, flash forward to tomorrow and I'm off to Turkey to hopefully get it sorted once and for all.

Mainly looking for the crown area to be filled and increasing the density in the mid and frontal areas as I can really see the difference with the density of my natural hair which has continued to recede and the remaining transplanted hair from the previous surgery.

Feeling extremely nervous about this trip but reading about others experiences here with the same clinic i've booked gives me some reassurance. I will keep you posted on how it goes for anyone interested.

Wish me luck!

Were you using finasteride after that first transplant?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Do I definitely need a visa for entering Turkey? It seems we're excempt in Ireland entering as tourist but have seen different reports online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I didn't have a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Were you using finasteride after that first transplant?

Yeah I had been taking it for a couple of years before and a solid 1-2 after then I got inconsistent and took the HT results for granted and of course saw further miniaturisation of the hair I had originally held onto, was not hugely noticeable but I could tell the difference.

Anyways quick update I’ve just returned from
    Istanbul today in total they ended up doing 4132 grafts with a very high number having multiple follicles they also took some donor hair from my beard to not over harvest the donor area. To be fair to the guys who’ve previously posted about the day of the surgery it’s pretty spot on, it was like a conveyor belt these lads have it to a science. In terms of the op itself I went for the DHI method and the surgery took about 9 hours to say I was wrecked and in a lot of discomfort would be an understatement I literally went straight to bed when they got me back to the hotel I managed to get a bit of sleep the first night but night 2 (last night was pretty bad) awake now about 28 hours but the thoughts of an early flights from Turkey didn’t help things. Home now and just did my first self wash, the clinic did it yesterday.

Right now I have quite a bit of swelling which I’m hoping will die down over the next days but expect it to be a little worse when I take off my head band tomorrow and the blood / remaining liquid they pumped into me has somewhere to flow. The implant area has scabbed over and these should also clear up over the next week or so.. overall I’m feeling quite good. I’m looking a bit Frankenstein ish at the minute but fingers crossed it’s all up hill from here. Being honest I think this surgery was far tougher than my FUT a couple of years back but the copious amount of alcohol over the years may have blocked the real memories out 😂

Will keep ye posted of any developments with the healing process and share some pics too

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Doing some research as I want to get HT done around October next year. Found a blog for the top 5 clinics in Istanbul.

I’m looking for quality over the cheapest option, so I don’t mind paying in the upper bracket. Has anyone here got any experience with the below clinics?

https://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2020/03/24/top-five-hair-transplant-clinics-in-turkey/

Doing some research as I want to get HT done around October next year. Found a blog for the top 5 clinics in Istanbul.

I’m looking for quality over the cheapest option, so I don’t mind paying in the upper bracket. Has anyone here got any experience with the below clinics?

https://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2020/03/24/top-five-hair-transplant-clinics-in-turkey/

I would take that article with a pinch of salt - very little in the way of objectivity. E.g. no mention of it the surgeon performs the procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

Hey mate,

I have done a bunch of research on clinics in Turkey, using hairloss conquerers Facebook group (you should join) and i have never heard of any of them so as mentioned be careful with articles, very easy to pay someone to give you good publicity. I have booked in with FueCap in March as I believe they are a good bang for your buck. I am paying 4k for 4k grafts. There are cheaper clinics but I really like the results they have put out. HLC are regarded as one of the best in Istanbul but I think they are like 2.5 euro a graft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Hey mate,

I have done a bunch of research on clinics in Turkey, using hairloss conquerers Facebook group (you should join) and i have never heard of any of them so as mentioned be careful with articles, very easy to pay someone to give you good publicity. I have booked in with FueCap in March as I believe they are a good bang for your buck. I am paying 4k for 4k grafts. There are cheaper clinics but I really like the results they have put out. HLC are regarded as one of the best in Istanbul but I think they are like 2.5 euro a graft

Hair loss conquerors is a great Research tool. What I notice about the group is that the vast majority of posts appear to be positive and many of the posters have had surgery done in Istanbul.
    The posters usually post before and after photos as well as progress updates for the first year. What you don’t see enough of is what the patients head looks like after year 4,5,6.
    This is what we need to consider long term. Long term maintenance is key.

Hey mate,

Seen some quality hair transplants from HLC on that FB group you mentioned. Just to note they are actually in Ankara rather than Istanbul. Just saying this in case anyone was considering it and looking at flights. At €2.50 I would also consider Dr Bruno Ferreira in Portugal. I guess at this price range you’re not saving that much (depending on number of grafts) when you have Dr. Nel at €4 in Ireland and not having to pay for flights/hotel etc.

Anybody ever use webdoctor to get a prescription for finasteride?

This is the link
    https://www.webdoctor.ie/pages/hair-loss-finasteride

• Advertisement

Seen some quality hair transplants from HLC on that FB group you mentioned. Just to note they are actually in Ankara rather than Istanbul. Just saying this in case anyone was considering it and looking at flights. At €2.50 I would also consider Dr Bruno Ferreira in Portugal. I guess at this price range you’re not saving that much (depending on number of grafts) when you have Dr. Nel at €4 in Ireland and not having to pay for flights/hotel etc.

Ah ok, did not know that they weren't in Istanbul.

Also Dr Bruno Ferreira is excellent but has quite a long waiting list I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Anybody ever use webdoctor to get a prescription for finasteride?

yes I used it got what I wanted and pharmacy didnt blink an eye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ah ok, did not know that they weren't in Istanbul.

Also Dr Bruno Ferreira is excellent but has quite a long waiting list I believe.

You wont get Ferreira at that price as his wairing list is so long and his prices are going up (i know that from chatting to a few of his patients)

HBC08 wrote: »
    You wont get Ferreira at that price as his wairing list is so long and his prices are going up (i know that from chatting to a few of his patients)

Makes sense he is getting more expensive. Supply & demand and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hey mate,

Fuecapilar in my opinion are the best budget clinic in Europe/Turkey .Really solid results from both Turan and Gur,you're in safe hands I think,best of luck!
    I've seen some questionable results from HLC although they are highly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coady2020

Anyone know can you travel to Turkey from London? No direct flight to turkey on the day I’m going so have to fly to London first from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

spegnor87 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with MHR on Grafton Street? They have offered me a transplant of 3000 hairs for €3000 with a shaven donor area or €3900 with a non-shaven donor area. They can carry out the procedure in early February too, apparently.

I had an online consult with them, but someone on here I was DMing put me off them. They offered very little evidence in terms of before and after shots etc. I opted for Ailesbury in the end. No complaints or regrets. Just shy of 4 weeks and at the dreaded shed phase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mel123

1922 wrote: »
    I had an online consult with them, but someone on here I was DMing put me off them. They offered very little evidence in terms of before and after shots etc. I opted for Ailesbury in the end. No complaints or regrets. Just shy of 4 weeks and at the dreaded shed phase!

Currently doing research for the OH who’s really thinking about biting the bullet. Do you mind me asking how much Ailesbury was? Currently waiting on a quote back from Portugal, have one from Cinik too. So hard trying to choose.

mel123 wrote: »
    Currently doing research for the OH who’s really thinking about biting the bullet. Do you mind me asking how much Ailesbury was? Currently waiting on a quote back from Portugal, have one from Cinik too. So hard trying to choose.

Just one thing to watch out for Ailesbury charge by the hair rather than the graft. You could have 4 hairs in one graft but depending on where the hair is going, you need singles on the hairline.

Be careful also when comparing what one person paid versus what you might need to pay. It all depends on your hair caliber and the amount of hair you have. If you have low hair caliber (typically called “thin hair”) then you will need double or even treble the number of grafts. The difference is exponential versus someone with high caliber hair (think of Turkish or Spanish hair). The best results come from high caliber hair and therefore, a lot of the doctors will provide examples of photos of these as being their best work, it‘a a no brainer because they can show a thicker head of hair with minimal grafts, but don’t fall into the trap here. A lot of Irish guys have thin / low caliber hair. Case in point, understand your hair caliber and don’t make price comparison with people who might have thick hair! :) Some of the Turkish doctors are taking way to much donor hair also and over harvesting (google this), so you want to be sure that you actually have enough hair. Consider future hair loss and any further work which might need to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mel123

Just one thing to watch out for Ailesbury charge by the hair rather than the graft. You could have 4 hairs in one graft but depending on where the hair is going, you need singles on the hairline.

Be careful also when comparing what one person paid versus what you might need to pay. It all depends on your hair caliber and the amount of hair you have. If you have low hair caliber (typically called “thin hair”) then you will need double or even treble the number of grafts. The difference is exponential versus someone with high caliber hair (think of Turkish or Spanish hair). The best results come from high caliber hair and therefore, a lot of the doctors will provide examples of photos of these as being their best work, it‘a a no brainer because they can show a thicker head of hair with minimal grafts, but don’t fall into the trap here. A lot of Irish guys have thin / low caliber hair. Case in point, understand your hair caliber and don’t make price comparison with people who might have thick hair! :) Some of the Turkish doctors are taking way to much donor hair also and over harvesting (google this), so you want to be sure that you actually have enough hair. Consider future hair loss and any further work which might need to be done.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest cost isn’t the main factor although it def helps of course. Personally (for him) I’d rather someone in Ireland that will give a proper consultation and explain everything in full detail pro’s con’s different options etc. These consults via WhatsApp basing it on a few photos To me is a bit of a risk. But I’ve read most of the thread and there’s people who have successfully gone abroad no issues.

Advertisement