Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

I think I have my Maplins weather station settings wrong.
    Im getting the wrong forecast.
    Should I have the pressure set as MB, HPA or IN ?
    I currently have a dew point of -6.4
    temp of 2.6
    pressure 1006.4 (hpa)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I've got mine set as HPA. HPA and MB as far as I'm aware are the same thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I've got mine set as HPA. HPA and MB as far as I'm aware are the same thing..

Not sure if I am in the right thread, but the weather here (aberdeen) has got very rough, snow snow snow, and I think it is heading your way, it was to be soft but it is hard and fast, 3 inches in the last 3 hours,

they did not call the artic flow, which has hit here now and is to be present for the next 2 days, batten down the hatches.

Move this to the latest weather warning thread, it is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

on the radio, people (humans) are being told not to drive tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

The special price on the unit of £59.99 expires on 19/03 if anyone else was considering.
    I also found a code AWINDIS8 online which gave me £5 off , so with home delivery it worked out at £65.38 , I probably could have saved more if i used Parcel Motel ,but went with Maplins delivery charge.
    The exchange rate for GBP is the best it has been in a long time i think , so about €76-€77 delivery ,thanks again to OP of the Maplin offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Deank

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Deank wrote: »
    That looks very like the Maplins one I bought, the display looks identical.

Fuh Q wrote: »
    That looks very like the Maplins one I bought, the display looks identical.

Is it a good deal and is the tech any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭jirafa

Deank, thats the same one,as i have.I got mine from ...http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/W-8681_Wireless_Weather_Station.html You can also buy any accessories for it here.http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Weather_Station_Accessories.html .Here is a link with more info, http://www.digitalham.co.uk/weather/equipment/watson-w8681/ Hope that is of some help to you,Deank

jirafa wrote: »

Deank, thats the same one,as i have.I got mine from ...http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/W-8681_Wireless_Weather_Station.html You can also buy any accessories for it here.http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Weather_Station_Accessories.html .Here is a link with more info, http://www.digitalham.co.uk/weather/equipment/watson-w8681/ Hope that is of some help to you,Deank
    Thanks for that J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭jirafa

I would go for it, a good weather station, for a handy price,without breaking the bank, and good backup service,if any parts need replacing ever.

Just bought one of these from Maplins, at that price I don't think you can go wrong €65ish delivered.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/b-grade-usb-touchscreen-wireless-weather-forecaster-682792
    N96GY.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just bought one of these from Maplins, at that price I don't think you can go wrong €65ish delivered.

For initial weather observing, they are fine, and there is some very good alternative software at http://www.sandaysoft.com which is a very good alternative to the supplied software, and used by a lot of people with this station.

(No connection other than as a user of the software)

Best of luck with it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

For initial weather observing, they are fine, and there is some very good alternative software at http://www.sandaysoft.com which is a very good alternative to the supplied software, and used by a lot of people with this station.

(No connection other than as a user of the software)

Best of luck with it.

Yeh it's my first one so didn't want to go to mad "yet", see how I get on with this for a year of so and perhaps upgrade.

I have already downloaded the Sandysoft s/w (cumulus) after reading good reports about it.

No to get a pole long enough to mount it on, don't fancy climbing 30 foot up a ladder to mount it on the gable of the house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A few hints, based on experiences here.

Put the wind direction and speed units as high as possible, if necessary, extend the cable, and then make sure the rain gauge is as firm as you can make it, ideally NOT on the pole, as sway in the wind WILL upset the readings.

Spiders are a TOTAL PAIN on the rain gauge, so if you can, make up some sort of enclosure to prevent them getting in, and also make sure that there's no easy path for wind gusts to get in to the unit, as strong gusts can also upset it. Estate agent corrie board is very good for this, it's plastic, easy to cut, and join together, (cable ties), and works well

The temp unit is ideally "hidden" inside another piece of pipe, 4" waste painted white is OK, to help keep it from being upset by direct sun, even though it does have a shield.

Take great care to make sure that the wind direction indicator is level, if it's not, it will give false readings when there's no wind, or very little wind, and the same can be true for the wind speed unit, if it's not level, and balanced, (use small cable ties to get it right) it will under read in low winds. To Balance it, hold it horizontally, and spin it, and see if it tends to stop and then rotate to a different position having stopped. If it does ( they usually do, partly because of the weight of the magnet), then it will need some balance weight, (cable tie or 2) on one or 2 of the arms that are on top, the aim being to get to a point where when the wheel stops, it stays where it's stopped and does not change direction or always end up with the same cup at the bottom.

I modified mine by using a mains power supply (3V, ) and a couple of rechargeable batteries, with some diodes and an LED to display what was working, cabled to the sender unit, which means not having to go climbing when the batteries expire. Meant soldering 2 wires to the battery connections, and a small hole in the battery cover, but it saves a load of hassles.

Make sure everything is working before putting the pole in final position, it's a lot easier to test it all when the sender and receiver are close to each other.

Most important...... Have FUN

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

A few hints, based on experiences here.

Put the wind direction and speed units as high as possible, if necessary, extend the cable, and then make sure the rain gauge is as firm as you can make it, ideally NOT on the pole, as sway in the wind WILL upset the readings.

Spiders are a TOTAL PAIN on the rain gauge, so if you can, make up some sort of enclosure to prevent them getting in, and also make sure that there's no easy path for wind gusts to get in to the unit, as strong gusts can also upset it. Estate agent corrie board is very good for this, it's plastic, easy to cut, and join together, (cable ties), and works well

The temp unit is ideally "hidden" inside another piece of pipe, 4" waste painted white is OK, to help keep it from being upset by direct sun, even though it does have a shield.

Take great care to make sure that the wind direction indicator is level, if it's not, it will give false readings when there's no wind, or very little wind, and the same can be true for the wind speed unit, if it's not level, and balanced, (use small cable ties to get it right) it will under read in low winds. To Balance it, hold it horizontally, and spin it, and see if it tends to stop and then rotate to a different position having stopped. If it does ( they usually do, partly because of the weight of the magnet), then it will need some balance weight, (cable tie or 2) on one or 2 of the arms that are on top, the aim being to get to a point where when the wheel stops, it stays where it's stopped and does not change direction or always end up with the same cup at the bottom.

I modified mine by using a mains power supply (3V, ) and a couple of rechargeable batteries, with some diodes and an LED to display what was working, cabled to the sender unit, which means not having to go climbing when the batteries expire. Meant soldering 2 wires to the battery connections, and a small hole in the battery cover, but it saves a load of hassles.

Make sure everything is working before putting the pole in final position, it's a lot easier to test it all when the sender and receiver are close to each other.

Most important...... Have FUN

Appreciate all the advice Steve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Appreciate all the advice Steve :D

likewise , thanks Steve , i picked one up last week , have it in temp location currently , top of a pole on the kids trampoline , no risk they were going out on it the last few days !
    Going to install that Cumulus software now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

http://www.maplin.co.uk/b-grade-usb-touchscreen-wireless-weather-forecaster-682792
    N96GY.jpg

I bought this over the weekend too and the code from further up worked too! Excited now :)

I bought this over the weekend too and the code from further up worked too! Excited now :)
    Mine shipped today, I should have it Wed or Thurs, now to find a decent 25ft pole to mount it on.

Mine has arrived but I can't get it to connect to the PC. I have USB connected but I'm getting a read data error?

Edit: And I'm live!! Loving this :)

• Advertisement

Mine has arrived but I can't get it to connect to the PC. I have USB connected but I'm getting a read data error?

Edit: And I'm live!! Loving this :)

MM did you have any issues installing the Cumulus S/W, I keep getting a restart app, can't figure it out. D

No problems here, USB issue first. Its a "fine offset" station type I have it set to and USB. Didn't change any other sections. My OH did a lot of the technical set up so I'll ask him tomorrow if he did anything else I hadn't noticed

So finally got mine working with Cumulus, it appears it was a font issue, need to mount the unit correctly, for now I have it planted in the back garden, wind speed readings are pants the rest is okay.

Cumulus really is a nice bit of s.w, managed to link it to a few websites too.:D

http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=metric&station=IKILDARE8

http://robertstownweather.weebly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Just set up Weathercat for Maplin (WH1080) on my Mac. Thrilled. Had difficulties at first as I’m running a older OS system but figured it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

You could also try weewx on OS X. Am running mine on a Raspberry PI with Weewx - Dinky! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Anybody thinking of buying a Davis weather station might be interested in the deal Weathershop.co.uk are offering. The serial, USB and Mac data loggers are only £1 if bought as a bundle while stocks last.

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/collections/davis-deals

I'm kind of sickened as I paid £100 for the logger a month ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Those stations are imo only worth it if you live out in the countryside , otherwise you can get really low grade readings.

The only thing id like to get for the up coming winter is a barometer and a good thermometer .

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Those stations are imo only worth it if you live out in the countryside , otherwise you can get really low grade readings.

The only thing id like to get for the up coming winter is a barometer and a good thermometer .

Obviously depends on your location but no matter where you live you will have compromises. Very difficult to have ideal site.

I have the Vanatge Vue and while I don't live in the countryside it gives pretty accurate readings when comparing it to nearest Met Eireann station.

Currently mine is reading 15.5C, 1023.4 hPa and 85% Humdity.
    Markree Castle is reading 16C (rounded) 1023hPa and 83% Humidity.

Anyway I only posted the offer for those that might be interested and in the market for one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ah no im not saying they arent good stations ! Its just a warning more so to people who live in city areas to be cautious getting one.

I paid a few hundred for one a few years back , temp and pressure readings and charts where nice to look at and were accurate but the wind speed was shocking , even being up on a high pole i was only gettin max gusts of like 30km where Dublin Airport was getting 70+ ! lol

Didn't like the fact that to get the full use of them hooked up to a computer you'd have to have the computer on all the time too. :(

I loved the day in 2010 seeing the max and min temp at 0 and -12 C though! :D ha

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ah no im not saying they arent good stations ! Its just a warning more so to people who live in city areas to be cautious getting one.

I paid a few hundred for one a few years back , temp and pressure readings and charts where nice to look at and were accurate but the wind speed was shocking , even being up on a high pole i was only gettin max gusts of like 30km where Dublin Airport was getting 70+ ! lol

Didn't like the fact that to get the full use of them hooked up to a computer you'd have to have the computer on all the time too. :(

I loved the day in 2010 seeing the max and min temp at 0 and -12 C though! :D ha

Totally understand where your coming from :)

Hopefully I'll be reporting those temps later in the year ;)

Advertisement