Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent runners for work commute

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't spend big money if you're only going to be walking. Dunnes stores brand or LIDL will sort you out.
    Or even Sports Direct if you insist on branded items. Sports Direct stock the Lidl or Dunnes runners with a Nike symbol on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I got a pair of these to get me over the rainy months. Great value for money, but I might switch to a more breathable version for the summer

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-caracal-waterproof-trail-running-shoes-mens-120087#colcode=12008722

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PCros wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a nice comfy supporting mens runner that you would recommend for walking commute to work?

I do like Nike and I'm looking at these but am open to suggestions - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XWPX6E2?pf_rd_r=MC8FNG54X8DC1YMKAW3G&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

How far are you walking?

Are you looking for comfort or durability over style or do you want something that'll look ok with a suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Really not walking far at all - its 1km in and 1km out then standing on a train for 30 mins each way. I will also walk at lunch.

I have worn my suit shoes in all them time but know I'm having to deal with two disc bulges on the lower back so I just want to make it as comfortable for me while they heal.

In terms of style it would be nice to have something go with a suit so that's why I was thinking of the black and white trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PCros wrote: »
    Really not walking far at all - its 1km in and 1km out then standing on a train for 30 mins each way. I will also walk at lunch.

I have worn my suit shoes in all them time but know I'm having to deal with two disc bulges on the lower back so I just want to make it as comfortable for me while they heal.

In terms of style it would be nice to have something go with a suit so that's why I was thinking of the black and white trim.

If you've had two disc bulges in your back presumably you got treatment from a professional. Might be worth checking with them to get a recommendation.

Foot Solutions is another option worth considering given that injury. In your circumstances I think buying a cheap pair of runners would be a false economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ASICS.. if you go online , they have bargains

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you've had two disc bulges in your back presumably you got treatment from a professional. Might be worth checking with them to get a recommendation.

Foot Solutions is another option worth considering given that injury. In your circumstances I think buying a cheap pair of runners would be a false economy.

Yep hoping to schedule an online appointment with a physio this week. I'll mention if I need foot solution shoes. I just looking for something soft in the mean time as I do feel I'll be back in work before most retail shops are open.

as a runner, something too soft and focused on running impact may feel a bit squishy for walking

the impact of walking is many times less than running

what are commonly described as "mens trainers" or "walking shoes" would probably do the job.

Perfect, thanks for the links Glasso!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I bought running/walking shoes in the Run Hub in Ashtown last january and I have to say I was impressed with the service. I'm sure if you emailed your requirements they'd be able to sort you out with something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My solution was the cheapest Pennies one, they do a couple types of black hybrid trainer runner/shoe, so they dont look funny with black trousers but have a decent thick sole

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Don't go near the lidl ones bought a pair a few years ago shockingly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I do about 9km per day on my work commute (or used to, now I just do 6/7k but it's definitely difficult motivating myself, hard to beat a walk that has to be done) .
    The main advice I'd give is dont go with lidl/dunnes/pennys.
    I walk pretty fast and for me Asics or Nike are a pleasure to get into before setting off. I generally change them every 4 months, but you may not need to change as often.
    For Nike, any air running type shoes are good. Asics probably a bit longer lasting, the gel ones are recommended. Be careful with Asics as they have inbuilt orthotics which may not suit, these are removable, but not everyone knows that.

BTW, 50 to 60 quid should get you a decent pair if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As others have mentioned i would also suggest a dedicated walking shoe. I put alot of km up between walking the dogs in all weather and other activities and i usually get a pair of ecco walking shoes with the goretex liner.

Advertisement