If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LG OLEDB9PLA

• 26-05-2020 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Just saw one of these TVs in the flesh and blown away. (55" version)

More than I was going to spend, but still very concerned about burn in.

So:

I see in Euros priced at 1098

How much to deliver to Donegal (Millford) address (i.e. how much delivered).

Guarantee / burn in:

Just trying to guage exactly what the warranty covers / to what extent burn in would need to happen for it to be considered for replacement.

So:
    • I watch a fair bit of News (ticket tapes at bottom /Sky News / BBC News etc) If there was burn in here would that qualify for replacement
    • Channel logos - if the screen was left on a channel that featured it's logo (e.g. Channel 4 / RTEs etc) and there was ghosting here due to burn in etc
    • Son plays PS4 - would HUDs get burned in, again what could be done here
    [*]

In a nutshell, almost sold on the tv, but if it had a burn in issue I'd be gutted and want it replaced with probably non OLED (once bitten twice shy etc).

Am I being unreasonable / does the warranty cover me here.

Amazing screen...

-ZB

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

zaphodbeeb wrote: »

So:

Guarantee / burn in:

Just trying to guage exactly what the warranty covers / to what extent burn in would need to happen for it to be considered for replacement.

So:
    • I watch a fair bit of News (ticket tapes at bottom /Sky News / BBC News etc) If there was burn in here would that qualify for replacement
    • Channel logos - if the screen was left on a channel that featured it's logo (e.g. Channel 4 / RTEs etc) and there was ghosting here due to burn in etc

[*]

In a nutshell, almost sold on the tv, but if it had a burn in issue I'd be gutted and want it replaced with probably non OLED (once bitten twice shy etc).

Amazing screen...

-ZB
    [*]
    Hi ZB,

Thanks for the post!

The OLEDs are genuinely stunning TVs, I bought myself a B8 last summer and it's just incredible!

No other TV comes close to them however there can be issues with burn in on the panels and unfortunately no burn in is covered by the 6 Year guarantee or LGs manufacturer guarantee. There is a pixel refresher on the TV but it's a bit like the old plasma TVs, if you leave a static image on it for too long there is a risk that it will burn the panel.

I've had mine for a year now and I use an Xbox One on it and have noticed no burn in however it's not something that we can guarantee against. I decided to take the risk as the image quality is far superior to standard LED TVs.

If you are in doubt I would say it's probably advisable not to go for one though as you want to enjoy your TV and not be worrying about it all the time! You could go for something like the Samsung QE55Q90R which is a top of the line QLED. It would be similar to the OLEDs but not quite as good for picture quality!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thank you for the very honest reply.

You've just talked me out of it.

Pity the next best tv to it is 400 euro more expensive and not as good.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

ZB

So:

Guarantee / burn in:

So:

[*]

Amazing screen...

-ZB

[*]
    Hi ZB,

Thanks for the post!

The OLEDs are genuinely stunning TVs, I bought myself a B8 last summer and it's just incredible!

No other TV comes close to them however there can be issues with burn in on the panels and unfortunately no burn in is covered by the 6 Year guarantee or LGs manufacturer guarantee. There is a pixel refresher on the TV but it's a bit like the old plasma TVs, if you leave a static image on it for too long there is a risk that it will burn the panel.

I've had mine for a year now and I use an Xbox One on it and have noticed no burn in however it's not something that we can guarantee against. I decided to take the risk as the image quality is far superior to standard LED TVs.

If you are in doubt I would say it's probably advisable not to go for one though as you want to enjoy your TV and not be worrying about it all the time! You could go for something like the Samsung QE55Q90R which is a top of the line QLED. It would be similar to the OLEDs but not quite as good for picture quality!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Surprised that burn in is something that they can say isn't covered by a 6 year warranty.

However, will just accept it I guess.

Any other tv around the 1k mark that you'd recommend? Probably a big ask but ideally:

100hz refresh
    HDMI 2.1
    eArc
    Dolby Atmos / HDR / HLG (etc, can't even remember)
    10bit etc

Surprised that burn in is something that they can say isn't covered by a 6 year warranty.

However, will just accept it I guess.

Any other tv around the 1k mark that you'd recommend? Probably a big ask but ideally:

100hz refresh
    HDMI 2.1
    eArc
    Dolby Atmos / HDR / HLG (etc, can't even remember)
    10bit etc
    Hi ZB,

If you're looking around the 1K mark I would consider the LG 55SM8600 at 699 euro. It's a Nano Cell TV with a local dimming, 100Hz panel as well as supporting Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR10 and HLG but it does not support HDMI 2.1 or eARC!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204041-lg-55sm8600pla-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-nanocell-led-tv-freeview-play-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

I am sorry I talked you out of the OLED as at that price it's the best TV on the market!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

So:

Guarantee / burn in:

So:

[*]

Amazing screen...

-ZB

Snipped by Moderator

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Goose81,

I’ve snipped your post - queries here are for Richersounds to answer, advice/comments from Boardies is not appropriate.

Please take a moment to read the Charter for details - it includes the following advice to Boardies:
    • As a general principle, if you're not asking Richersounds for a quote/information/involved in a deal here, it's usually best to proceed with caution. A more judicious approach to interventions and expressing opinions is needed here than would otherwise prevail in a general discussion area, such as the Home Entertainment Forums.

• If you see a post which is looking for a quote or advice from RS, please resist the urge to offer your opinion. Such queries are not an open invitation for posters to make suggestions etc, these queries should be left to RS to answer. If queries or requests for quotes attracted everyone's opinion, the forum would be unworkable. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.

• If you have an opinion on some matter related to the items that Richersounds sells, or you wish to give people the benefit of your advice on some related issue, Please do not post it in this forum. There are other fora on Boards in the Tech section on Home Entertainment or TV related topics, or in the Consumer fora, which are suitable locations for endowing Boardies with the benefit of any advice or opinion you wish to offer. Bearing in mind the purpose of this forum, posts along the lines described here are not appropriate and will be suitably snipped or deleted without warning. This approach is taken to ensure the workability of this particular forum and to ensure that general advice and discursive posts are made in the appropriate forum. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.

If you have any queries about the Charter, feel free to send me a PM, but please do not post on this thread again, it should be left free of further commentary to enable the OP to deal with Richersounds.

If you have any queries for Richersounds, of course feel free to open a new thread and post away.

Ritz.

Cheers The Ritz!

Hope you are keeping well through all this!

Kenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Kenny,

Thanks, Similar good wishes to yourself and the team - stay well !

S.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.