Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best of the rest - broadband

• 19-04-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I'll probably be moving over the summer and the likely house does not have UPC. I've always used them so have no experience with any other supplier.

I will also be looking for a tv package but that's not overly important, we stream most things we want to watch (netflix, 4oD, skygo etc) so broadband with a decent speed and no usage cap (or at least a high cap) would be important.

Who do you use if you can't get UPC and are they any good?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I'll probably be moving over the summer and the likely house does not have UPC. I've always used them so have no experience with any other supplier.

I will also be looking for a tv package but that's not overly important, we stream most things we want to watch (netflix, 4oD, skygo etc) so broadband with a decent speed and no usage cap (or at least a high cap) would be important.

Your next would be E fibre from eircom or vodaphone you would get at lest 30MB + and unlimited downloads on witch deal you will take. I am not sure but it starts at €35 and up.

But if you are moving to the middle of no where your best bet would be wi max as a friend has it and has never had a problem with it since he got it and is getting at lest 10MB all the time

Then for tv your best bet is to go free to air and see does the house have a sky dish and just get yourself a multi box that supports free to air and sourview.

I would not be wasting time on getting sky as i would use the money you spend on sky and use it on your internet as you would be saving a lot of money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It depends where you are moving to, wireless-delivered internet is your best bet if you can't get UPC or are not close to a telephone exchange.

Or, of course if you don't want a phone line.

I work for a Wireless ISP. PM me for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

i have efibre and have to say its excellent!! used to have wimax and found for the price i was paying it was'nt value for money!! 40 euro a month for 8mb download when i was paying for 10mb and upload speed of 0.5mb!!!! took 11hrs to upload a clip to youtube that was only 40 seconds long

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm going to crack up if someone else is looking to sell Total Wireless or whatever it's called. It's getting ridiculous.

It depends on where in the city you want to go. A lot of the city is covered by UPC, who offer the best in terms of Broadband speeds. Closely followed by eircom / Vodafone. I think Vodafone do broadband only for €35. Eircom are at least €45 after their six months promotion with a usage allowance and €50 with unlimited but only evening time calls.

Sky Broadband isn't great as they have yet to sell the fibre service. Stay away from wireless/satellite if you can get decent fixed line broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Sully wrote: »
    I'm going to crack up if someone else is looking to sell Total Wireless or whatever it's called. It's getting ridiculous.

It depends on where in the city you want to go. A lot of the city is covered by UPC, who offer the best in terms of Broadband speeds. Closely followed by eircom / Vodafone. I think Vodafone do broadband only for €35. Eircom are at least €45 after their six months promotion with a usage allowance and €50 with unlimited but only evening time calls.

Sky Broadband isn't great as they have yet to sell the fibre service. Stay away from wireless/satellite if you can get decent fixed line broadband.
    well said sully!! i used to swear by wimax until i saw speeds that friends were getting through efibre for the exact same price i was paying wimax, when i went to cancel the wimax they offered a price reduction to €20 a month from €40, i explained it was'nt a reduction but a better service i required and that efibre was able to provide what there were'nt able to provide me with, the chap could'nt argue with me then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Thanks for that lads, gives me a few ideas to look into anyway. I won't be moving anywhere too remote, either Tramore or ferrybank I'd say so I'll probably look into the vodafone package.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No fibre in Tramore yet (well there is confusion) - May is the date at the moment but eircom keep changing it. It's fibre ready, eircom haven't hit the big switch in Dublin yet. UPC isn't in Tramore and I am not sure if if's in Ferrybank?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thanks for that lads, gives me a few ideas to look into anyway. I won't be moving anywhere too remote, either Tramore or ferrybank I'd say so I'll probably look into the vodafone package.

UPC covers a lot of Ferrybank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

100% youll need unlimited. I use about 1tb a month with Netflix and i barely watch it. 360 pushes everything to full HD and uses serious bandwidth.
    Also whereabouts are you moving? For all you know they could have good speeds.

Another thing to consider is you might get 4G. Not sure how far off that is to be rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

Magnet broadband is very good imom no contract so is ideal in rented accomodation. I stream netflix and sky go through it. Also for an extra 4 euro i think you can stream a load of terrestial channels through it. Its a tad pricey but its contract free and unlimited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

While I am not a regular poster on this site it has been brought to my attention that you are advising people to " Stay away from wireless/satellite if you can get decent fixed line broadband."

Wireless broadband is a completely different animal to satellite broadband, the same as fixed line is completely different to cable.

Total Wireless Ltd offer an excellent service at an extremely competive price.

Trick of the tail stated "It depends where you are moving to, wireless-delivered internet is your best bet if you can't get UPC or are not close to a telephone exchange.

I work for a Wireless ISP. PM me for more info"

If you are going to crack up because people detail options and mention, explain and recommend a company that you appear to have no experience of dealing with then go ahead, crack up, I would suggest you should just be careful about your implications while doing so.

While I am not a regular poster on this site it has been brought to my attention that you are advising people to " Stay away from wireless/satellite if you can get decent fixed line broadband."

Wireless broadband is a completely different animal to satellite broadband, the same as fixed line is completely different to cable.

Trick of the tail stated "It depends where you are moving to, wireless-delivered internet is your best bet if you can't get UPC or are not close to a telephone exchange.

If you are going to crack up because people detail options and mention, explain and recommend a company that you appear to have no experience of dealing with then go ahead, crack up, I would suggest you should just be careful about your implications while doing so.

I've been sent a PM from one of your colleagues about this before. I replied with one question and they didn't bother to answer.

I repeat that wireless/satellite broadband isn't something I would personally recommend if you can get decent fixed line service. It's my personal view and just because it's not good for your business, doesn't mean I should stop expressing my personal opinion.

In terms of people repeatedly plugging your service or asking people to get in touch for more information - I strongly suggest you read up on the Boards.ie guidelines about advertising/shilling. If Total Wireless want to advertise or communicate with potential customers than I will bring to your attention the Boards.ie Community Managers @ hello@boards.ie

I didn't mention the name of the company I'm associated with, you did Sully. I was simply offering impartial advice, which was asked for by the OP.

Being in the business, I am qualified to do so.

The fact is that if one is in an area served by UPC, then they provide the best broadband - as long as you want a TV service from them as well of course.

The next best would be a DSL service provided by Eircom, or resold by a number of others like Vodafone, again though so long as you want a phone line from them too. 'E-Fibre' is the trade name of Eircom's fibre based service, which is only fibre delivered to a roadside cabinet, then delivered down your phone line the rest of the way - and is very dependent on your distance from that cabinet.

If, however, it doesn't suit you to use these companies or you cannot because you're not in area served adequately by them, then wireless-delivered broadband is the best option.

Broadband delivered over the cellular phone network, 3G or 4G, is not reliable and is very expensive when you consider the data limits.

Satellite-delivered broadband is the worst option, because of poor download speeds, poor latency and caps on data, and price.

For clarity 'Wi-Max' is the trade name of a wireless service provided by one company, not a generic term for wireless broadband.

There - that is my qualified and non-partisan advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have upc broadband in ferrybank with pic, 34.50 for 120mb , broadband only, no telly.

great speeds, never had an outage.

but 12 month contract and you'd need to keep an eye on your bills, I've had 2 mistakes in the past 12 months, both refunded.

sky box and dish for telly, no subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Agree with most of your post, but have to correct the below:
    The fact is that if one is in an area served by UPC, then they provide the best broadband - as long as you want a TV service from them as well of course.

As wmpdd3 also stated, you can get broadband on its own with UPC, without paying extra for TV. Broadband packages also include phone service, which doesn't cost extra and you can choose not to use.

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Thanks lads,

just to clear up, the area in ferrybank I'm looking at doesn't have UPC as confirmed by one of their engineers who was out to fix a problem with me last week. It is in an estate alright so getting fixed line bb shouldn't be an issue, but I'll have to look into the distance from exchange/4g/wireless options and see what works out the best.

I didn't mention the name of the company I'm associated with, you did Sully. I was simply offering impartial advice, which was asked for by the OP.

Being in the business, I am qualified to do so.

The next best would be a DSL service provided by Eircom, or resold by a number of others like Vodafone, again though so long as you want a phone line from them too. 'E-Fibre' is the trade name of Eircom's fibre based service, which is only fibre delivered to a roadside cabinet, then delivered down your phone line the rest of the way - and is very dependent on your distance from that cabinet.

If, however, it doesn't suit you to use these companies or you cannot because you're not in area served adequately by them, then wireless-delivered broadband is the best option.

Broadband delivered over the cellular phone network, 3G or 4G, is not reliable and is very expensive when you consider the data limits.

Satellite-delivered broadband is the worst option, because of poor download speeds, poor latency and caps on data, and price.

For clarity 'Wi-Max' is the trade name of a wireless service provided by one company, not a generic term for wireless broadband.

There - that is my qualified and non-partisan advice.

I'm not sure I'd have went with the term 'impartial' seeing as you have publicly recommended them and often ask people to send you a PM for more information. We already had one shill admit he gets a fee for signing up customers, I've had PMs from the company representative (or claiming to be) giving out of my views which I repeated the same opinion as I do here and now there posting. You appear to be pouring cold water over competitors of wireless/satellite.

I've nothing against the company but I dislike people milking the site for free advertising and misleading people that satellite/wireless is better than a decent fixed line service.

UPC stand alone broadband is available. Eircom don't do stand alone but Vodafone do. Sky don't do fibre. Yes it's reselling but the fact remains it's a much better system and if you can get it than in my view, avoid satellite/wireless broadband. Even if you are a distance from the cabinet, you still get far superior speeds even with extended reach for fibre. I know because I sold it.

Regardless of if its the Pope or Total Wireless providing it, I personally don't believe a wireless solution or satellite is better than UPC or fibre. Or in a lot of cases, bog standard ADSL. Depending on distance of course.

I have no bias. Technology is something I enjoy, I studied and follow with interest. I've been selling it for nearly a year now. I'm not an encyclopedia of knowledge on it. Yes there are pros and cons of every service.

Whats the usage limits on Total Wireless. No mention of it on your site which is a bit strange.

Also is the 30 total or do they not mention VAT on top of that?

I won't go into those details here as that would be advertising, which I'm trying to avoid, but please PM or email.

OK on the correction to UPC; However in reply to Sully, the way one gets broadband is different strokes for different folks. I never said wireless was better than 'fixed line' as you call it, (in itself not accurate since it encompasses a number of different types of service).

However, where I live, 'fixed line' will yield about 1-2MB. Wireless up to about 8. Therefore, here, wireless is better.

It depends on what you want and which type of delivery suits one best. Which is the point I was making.

However, satellite is widely recognised as being the worst way to go, and broadband via the cellular network not much better.

Sully I've never sent or received any PMs with you re this, don't see much point in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Media999 wrote: »
    Whats the usage limits on Total Wireless. No mention of it on your site which is a bit strange.

Also is the 30 total or do they not mention VAT on top of that?

No usage limits and the 30euro is vat inclusive. Its a good deal imo.

• Advertisement

No usage limits and the 30euro is vat inclusive. Its a good deal imo.

That is a good deal alright if it has no problems with Netflix and has a good uptime its defo a good option. Id imagine it beats Eircom for prices out in the sticks.

Antenna on the roof could make all the difference to people using those 3 sticks inside the house getting half a meg with crappy limits.

Any ideas where the signal is sent from and where the best speeds would be?

I won't go into those details here as that would be advertising, which I'm trying to avoid, but please PM or email.

OK on the correction to UPC; However in reply to Sully, the way one gets broadband is different strokes for different folks. I never said wireless was better than 'fixed line' as you call it, (in itself not accurate since it encompasses a number of different types of service).

However, where I live, 'fixed line' will yield about 1-2MB. Wireless up to about 8. Therefore, here, wireless is better.

It depends on what you want and which type of delivery suits one best. Which is the point I was making.

However, satellite is widely recognised as being the worst way to go, and broadband via the cellular network not much better.

Sully I've never sent or received any PMs with you re this, don't see much point in doing so.

Now you're getting silly. You know full well what I mean by fixed line service and I have zero interest in getting into a petty tech term war with you.

As I have repeatedly said, fixed line service is often better than a wireless/satellite. As you rightly said, and as I effectively said many times myself, there will be times where it will be a better alternative. There is no disputing that.

I'm fed up of the frequency of posters interrupting broadband threads to plug Total Wireless. Like every other business, pay for advertising. I've no issue with fair and balanced discussions which discuss ALL solutions including wireless. Consumers need choice and need to be aware of their choice. But, they need not be fooled into thinking it's a better solution in areas that will get far superior speeds on a fixed line service than over the air. That's all I am saying when I make the observation.

The same can be said for pricing amongst all companies - its infuriating when people quote offer pricing when selling it snd not mentioning other costs and increases like installation, after the promotion ends, how unlimited isn't genuinely unlimited etc.

I didn't interrupt the thread to plug any company, as I'm sure a re-read of my posts will attest. I merely replied with judgement of the various options, as the OP had asked, and to avoid getting specific I invited a PM.

You (Sully) mentioned the company name. There are other companies, you could have mentioned them, also other companies were mentioned and promoted by you and others, like UPC, Vodafone, Sky and Eircom.

Anyway, I think I added my $0.02 to the answers to the OP, and to do so further would only grind it into the ground, so no more discourse is needed.

There are certain aspects of Sully's posts that make me fed up too, but that opinion is not for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Media999 wrote: »
    That is a good deal alright if it has no problems with Netflix and has a good uptime its defo a good option. Id imagine it beats Eircom for prices out in the sticks.

Antenna on the roof could make all the difference to people using those 3 sticks inside the house getting half a meg with crappy limits.

Any ideas where the signal is sent from and where the best speeds would be?

My parents are in the fenor/tramore area and couldn't get reliable broadband with anyone. They gave this crowd a go due to a neighbours recommendation. They can now use netflix and any other streaming services comfortably. They paid a 120e installation fee and are now paying 30e per month. They have free sat and use an IP phone so the broadband is all they now need. Ive no idea about the technical stuff other than my parents are happy with the service provided. Id contact the company if I were you as regards coverage and speeds etc...they were quite friendly when I called them.

Dont need them right now as im still living in city but if all that true it'll be my first choice in a few months.

30 bucks a month for unlimited internet. Gonna assume its at least 4 meg steady if it handles Netflix ok.

Cant ask for anymore if in a bad area for broadband.

I thought i read somewhere that Three have some kind of agreement with the government to cover 100% of the country. They couldn't be a worse company if they tried. Wrong prices advertised. ****ty speeds. Indian call centres who plug out the headset so people think the line is dead and hang up so the agents average scores improve.

If the government gave a **** they would have these antennae fitted free on every bungalow in the country.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

No fibre in Tramore yet (well there is confusion) - May is the date at the moment but eircom keep changing it. It's fibre ready, eircom haven't hit the big switch in Dublin yet. UPC isn't in Tramore and I am not sure if if's in Ferrybank?

Sully, a couple of tramore numbers got efibre switched on last Thursday, my mate works for Vodafone home and he is also from tramore. He was here with me on Thursday and he got a call about it. He then checked some tramore numbers on his app and atleast 3 of those he checked threw up results of 50+mb, he was going mad as his number didn't get upgraded :-)

I didn't interrupt the thread to plug any company, as I'm sure a re-read of my posts will attest. I merely replied with judgement of the various options, as the OP had asked, and to avoid getting specific I invited a PM.

You (Sully) mentioned the company name. There are other companies, you could have mentioned them, also other companies were mentioned and promoted by you and others, like UPC, Vodafone, Sky and Eircom.

Anyway, I think I added my $0.02 to the answers to the OP, and to do so further would only grind it into the ground, so no more discourse is needed.

There are certain aspects of Sully's posts that make me fed up too, but that opinion is not for here.

You're posting history shows the 'PM for more info' trend snd you have mentioned said company on a similar discussion in the past. Normally, it wouldn't phase me but lately a number of people seem to be slyly pimping the business without being realistic that it's really for rural or places without fibre or UPC.

Sorry for wanting to give consumers the full picture.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sully, a couple of tramore numbers got efibre switched on last Thursday, my mate works for Vodafone home and he is also from tramore. He was here with me on Thursday and he got a call about it. He then checked some tramore numbers on his app and atleast 3 of those he checked threw up results of 50+mb, he was going mad as his number didn't get upgraded :-)

Ah stop there driving me mad! Keep changing when it's being launched! Getting 12mb at the moment after fighting when the speeds dropped to below zero for a good bit and i'm a good distance from the exchange. Really looking forward to fibre which should bring it to 50mb due to distance to cabinet.

Its showing my number as available but the map says May and eircom directly said the same! I've asked them again anyway, waiting on a reply. The cabinet is definitely ready, I checked with an engineer. I'm with UTV so there ready and waiting for eircom before signing me up!

You're posting history shows the 'PM for more info' trend snd you have mentioned said company on a similar discussion in the past. Normally, it wouldn't phase me but lately a number of people seem to be slyly pimping the business without being realistic that it's really for rural or places without fibre or UPC.

Sorry for wanting to give consumers the full picture.

Wireless broadband isn't solely for rural places, it's just another way of getting broadband where ever you are, if for whatever reason cable or phone line doesn't suit.

That's giving people the full picture.

• Advertisement

Wireless broadband isn't solely for rural places, it's just another way of getting broadband where ever you are, if for whatever reason cable or phone line doesn't suit.

That's giving people the full picture.

You're manipulating my words to suit your agenda. I think I have explained the main circumstances why people would go down the wireless route, in an urban or rural area.

Advertisement