Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes W124 estate- I need a new one

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

quenching wrote: »
    Very nice of you indeed, all the good ones are generally known to those of us who spend our time chasing them! If you hear it might be available I'd appreciate the nod.
    No problem... I got a response that the car is going fine, but no plans of ownership change in near future. The thing is that the good ones go rarely on sale and they quite often change hands without being advertised. That was the way I bought that car and the same way I got is sold...
    Anyway, I will keep my eyes open if anything else pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Only manners to post an update I suppose. The E220 involved in a crash was indeed written off by the insurance company, not on safety grounds but it would have cost too much to repair. I looked at most W124 estates that were for sale since the end of Nov and most needed way too much work as I needed a useable car immediately. In the end I bought this '91 230TE in the UK, it wasn't cheap but its in great condition and if I'd bought a cheap one it would have cost a lot more to get it up to the same standard. All registered, taxed and NCT'd now. Thanks to all for their suggestions and advice, very much appreciated as always.

I'm still in two minds about swapping the wheels with the 8 hole ones from the silver E220.

No negativity about it being white please :D

230TE%252520Hi%252520Res2_2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I think it looks fresh in the white......and the wheels are grand as it is.

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

quenching wrote: »
    Only manners to post an update I suppose. The E220 involved in a crash was indeed written off by the insurance company, not on safety grounds but it would have cost too much to repair. I looked at most W124 estates that were for sale since the end of Nov and most needed way too much work as I needed a useable car immediately. In the end I bought this '91 230TE in the UK, it wasn't cheap but its in great condition and if I'd bought a cheap one it would have cost a lot more to get it up to the same standard. All registered, taxed and NCT'd now. Thanks to all for their suggestions and advice, very much appreciated as always.

I'm still in two minds about swapping the wheels with the 8 hole ones from the silver E220.

No negativity about it being white please :D
    What a lovely machine! Congratulations and Happy Motoring. Nothing wrong with the car being white. This is not bad colour for a 124T.

I wouldn't swap the wheels, I would keep the original set, as it suits the pre-facelift squerness and sharpness of the car ;), if you know what I mean. But it is up to you, of course.

I agree with you that when it comes to one of these cars, it is far better option to pay more up front and get the right car in the first place.

All The Best with your New Baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Very nice , what sort of cost ball park, cleared and landed? if you don't mind me asking ? needent be too specific

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Well done Quenching, that's a beauty.

did you purchase the car from a dealer, or was it a private sale?

Happy motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Nice motor, a friend of mine has a minter 220t with leather interior early nineties. Wouldn't think there is a better one around as he has done some work on this one. Says it's the most comfortable car he has driven :D Enjoy yours..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Looks like a peach Quenching, I hope you get many years of happy motoring with that. I like them in White.(Still interested in a few bits out of your old machine if it's not already broken):)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭VinDevo

Lovely looking car - Personally I like the white 124s but my wife rejected one when I was buying ours.

thewintermute (Still interested in a few bits out of your old machine if it's not already broken)
    I might be interested in some of your old car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thanks for all the good wishes :)

I bought it from a dealer in the UK MTSV, who was very nice to deal with and I'd be happy to recommend him. Lots of emails and phone calls beforehand, he was completely honest in his description and sent many detailed photos of anything I asked about. It looks practically new inside and out (they really do scrub up well), and has a full detailed service history.

A few have asked about parts from the crashed car, I'll check with the garage that has it and see what they say.

As to the cost....including travel costs and VRT, about the same as this, I know which I prefer ;) I could easily have bought a cheaper one but they weren't fit to keep chickens in, I wasn't interested in a old banger on its last legs. I intend to keep the car for many years and wanted something presentable, reliable and comfortable that would seat 7. I'm even getting used to the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

that's gas - I saw an identical one yesterday on school house lane and thought of you, wondering if you'd found one. Clearly it wasn't as this one was being winched onto the back of a tow truck ! I'm sure you'd have mentioned it :)

Advertisement