Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

problem is just any eeprom wont work, youve got to have a method of flashing the new one to the xbox motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

encryptix wrote: »
    Yep, it is definitely a problem :D
    I'm 99% sure my xbox had the dashboard and kernel as 4817, although i cant check.

Heres my current situation:
    1)It didnt go into the normal screen when i tried booting the way you said.

2)I also restored the drive using the backup but then when i rebooted i got a message saying "System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support with a 17 in the corner!

3)Next step i decided to do was to reinstall the thing on the cd, this kinda worked. I dont get the error message when its turned on but the screen goes black after that. This lets me load games but ive no dashboard.

How will i go about updating it, i only have one really old game and no dashboard? :p

The restore should put everything back to exactly as it as before you started all this.

Hmm researching error code 17 gives :-

Service Error 17:
    Info: Unknown (or not used).
    Solution: None
    Related topic(s) on Xbox-Hq.Com: none

Your options the way I see it are :-

1) Borrow/rent/buy a newer game and play
    2) Reimage your drive using another xbox/eeprom of a mates
    3) Hardware mod the box (more expensive than just getting another one from Game-Stop these days)
    4) Get another €20 box from Game-Stop and try again (sorry)
    5) If you have a car your welcome to pop over here and I'll do it for you and throw in a demo..Easter Week offer only!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Pm sent longfield

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

I dont know why the restore didnt work fully, it lets me play games but still no dashboard.

Sorry i meant error 13, looking at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562
    it seems fixable, with the newer games will it update from in game, or do i
    need a working dashboard?

id try and find the files needed to make the dashboard work, but i dont know what they would be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yes you need a Live enabled game like Halo2 or newer. Disconnect network cable and start the game. Go to multiplayer and it should prompt you to update dashboard version to 5960.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Anyone do this using a dell e520? Cracked it open for the first time today (never tinkered around with the insides of a pc before) and notices it doesnt use IDE cables. The hard drive is connected by ATA cable.

Hope what i said makes sense. Can anyone tell me what i need to do to connect my xbox hd to my pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

There should be IDE connectors like the picture i posted earlier in this thread. Your CD/DVD drive (in the dell) would surely connect by IDE, there should be another connector there too.

There should be IDE connectors like the picture i posted earlier in this thread. Your CD/DVD drive (in the dell) would surely connect by IDE, there should be another connector there too.

Only looked at the hard drive. Ill look again in the morning, really hope it has an ide connector somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Lucifer 2

I'm getting the error below when I try to launch xbrowser after hotswapping the drives.

It is the primary master. If I boot my PC with the drive attached from the start it shows up in the BIOS (as the primary master).

My best guess is one of two things is happening:
    1. When i try to hotswap the drives the Xbox drive locks up for some reason.
    2. The partition table on my xbox drive is damaged or there are bad sectors on the drive. I bought the xbox second hand (in gamestop for 20 euro :)

Is there a way to permantly unlock the drive - and still use it with the xbox?
    Is it possible to repartion / reformat the xbox drive and still be able to use it?

the harddrive is an WD80EB-28CGH2

Note that if i actually boot the PC with the xbox HD connected, The HD is detected in linux but reports multiple read errors (status=0x51, error=0x04) during the boot process and reports "unable to read partition table". When I run xbrowser it still reports no xbox partition table found on /dev/hda.

root@Xbox-HDM:/1 xbrowser
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
    No disk drive found on /dev/hda
    Please connect a drive and try again!

We will now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table.....

No xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda

Done!!!
    root@Xbox-HDM:/3

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide !!

-Darragh

the dimension 521's have no ide, all drives are sata in it. im typing from one now

on that note im going to try and return the one i broke tomorrow

• Advertisement

Just did some googling and found this:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/building/186646-adding-second-harddrive.html

It talks about how to install a ide hd on a dell e520. I do have a spare ide cable around the house to so hopefully i can connect it up but will it still work?

After i plugin the xbox hd my pc will have two hd's one connected via sata and the other with ide. Will i still be able to do the softmod through this setup?

[EDIT]: Just took a look at my motherboard, it has a ide connection but it says 'floppy' beside it, so i guess a hd wont work in it. Anyone know of anyway to conect a ide hd to a sata connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

what advantage has the original xbox got over a new 360?

i have a 360 and tbh find the media centre a struggle and not mad about it

is an original xbox better then the new 360 for media centre use?

Look at Longfield's posts on the first page to get any idea of how XBMC works and feels. Its THE best media center available and completely free. It can be as basic or advanced as you want it to be depending on how much effort you put into customising it, using all its features.
    If you organise, tag and have album art for your music, it'll look superb as shown by Longfield's pics.
    It will play any non-HD video you throw at it without breaking a sweat with good NR, filtering using GPU pixel shaders.
    If you organise TV shows, films, you can scrape the metadata for these files from IMDB & TVDB and you will have thumbnails, plot outline for each film, episode.
    All around its a killer package, use it every day..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well i just found out just there how to get my stuff from pc to work on 360, and it works a charm :)

exactly what i want so i think ill stick with 360

although its annoying how its a dvd quality film, yet when i open up the display to full screen it loses a bit of quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sweet, i didn't think this was possible without an action replay... props to the op!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Lucifer 2 wrote: »

root@Xbox-HDM:/1 xbrowser
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda...
    Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
    No disk drive found on /dev/hda
    Please connect a drive and try again!

We will now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table.....

No xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda

Done!!!
    root@Xbox-HDM:/3

Thats what i was getting too, i had to make sure that the cd cdrive was set to master on the jumper settings (on the second IDE controller). Note that it cannot mount the CD-ROM. It might be set on slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭randombar

Hey lads anyone know where I can get one for 20 notes? gamestops seem to be sold out, there's one in game for 30 notes all right but i'd prob prefer to keep the tenner!

ring around, my local gs has some didnt the other day

on that note i took the one i messed up back to gamestop and they changed it for a nother pre owned one, crystal this time :D

weeder wrote: »
    the dimension 521's have no ide, all drives are sata in it. im typing from one now

on that note im going to try and return the one i broke tomorrow

Iv given up on try to hot swap with my e520. Went into maplins today and a sata to ide adapter was €42!

Walked into game after and picked up splinter cell for €1.50, all i need now is a memory unit to softmod by the game exploit. Anyone know where to pick one up, no one sells them anymore?

if your based near me i would be happy to let you pop over and i put the saves on the xbox for you
    anyway ive heard if the hdd detection is set to auto in the bios you might have a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Iv given up on try to hot swap with my e520. Went into maplins today and a sata to ide adapter was €42!

Walked into game after and picked up splinter cell for €1.50, all i need now is a memory unit to softmod by the game exploit. Anyone know where to pick one up, no one sells them anymore?

eBay. You'll also need to make sure your dash is at 5960.

I have a spare memory unit with Splinter Cell NDURE saves if anybody can't get this working also or has no PC with IDE connectors.
    Based in greater Dublin area (wherever the hell that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭randombar

Cant seem to get this working for some reason?

Not finding my hard drive?

The cables are confusing:

I've two in my comp

Guess my cable knowledge isnt great.

is one primary and the other secondary?

Where in the cable do you stick the drives?

a basic ide cable has:

connect - long part - connect - short part - connect

1 - L - 2 - S - 3

do you attach the cd drive to one cable at 3

and the xbox drive on the other cable at 3?

this doesnt seem to work for me?

Thanks
    Gary

You should have CD/DVD on 2nd IDE (Secondary) channel, doesn't matter if its master or slave.
    The XBOX HDD then connects to the 1st IDE (Primary) channel at the last IDE connector which is the master connector.

So it should be:

1 - L - 2 - S - 3 (XBOX HDD)
    1 - L - 2 (CD) - S - 3 (CD)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Thanks for the excellent guide. XBMC up and running :)

Had one problem when FTP'ing to E:\apps and E:\dash, in that I couldn't save anything to these two folders. Eventually solved the problem by deleting the folders and creating them again.
    Make sure you backup the files in E:\dash.

Paul.

Just an update on my situation, i now get error 21 after the xbox boots, i decided to fix this that i would just replace the files on the xbox drive (apart from eeprom) with what i hope is original file.
    But when hot swapping the drive it seems to be still locked when i put it in my pc, the cd that i boot from just gives messages saying file is locked or cannot be opened. Anyone have any suggestions? If i was to get it unlocked could i then copy the eeprom from it, to lock it later?

Edit: I have now got back into the drive after a few tries, any suggestions on what i should do next - i dont wana feck it up again :p

I can fix it for you with my Slinter Cell NDURE softmod if you are in Leixlip. That error code is a dashboard error, wrong files, incorrect xbe in the C: drive.
    You can't unlock the HDD as it in an error state with the 21 error code.

I can fix it for you with my Slinter Cell NDURE softmod if you are in Leixlip. That error code is a dashboard error, wrong files, incorrect xbe in the C: drive.
    You can't unlock the HDD as it in an error state with the 21 error code.

thanks for the offer but im not around here that often! As i said in the edit, im fairly sure i can unlock it. I think that if i replace the files on c and d with original files then it will work again, but where can you get these files? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks longfield, Got it done yesterday with this method after i gave up on getting the usb adapter to work!(im pretty sure i had it wired right, but apparently some usb sticks dont work)

Could i make a suggest that you add more to the IDE cable section though, I could not figure it out till Nick_olivera(SP?) post here. My interest in computers only really started in the sata era so i though primary and secondry were the middle and end of the one IDE cable!!:o

Now thats its modified will games from other region than pal work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

encryptix wrote: »
    thanks for the offer but im not around here that often! As i said in the edit, im fairly sure i can unlock it. I think that if i replace the files on c and d with original files then it will work again, but where can you get these files? :pac:

Simplest way is just to do a restore, boot off the xboxhdm cd you made and choose the restore option, that is if you can unlock the drive of course.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement