Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2019 / 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Very nice northerly shot on the 00z GFS this morning - Would be nice to get some proper winter weather even if only for a few days.

gfs-1-210.png.e7be12238a8a9202619861aebbf64cea.png

-12 air. Now that would be a northerly of old! I think you're right the last proper one was 2010. I don't recall having any since then during winter time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

-12 air. Now that would be a northerly of old! I think you're right the last proper one was 2010. I don't recall having any since then during winter time.

The beast from the east in 2018 was a returning northerly (like all cold we get it originates north).

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The beast from the east in 2018 was a returning northerly (like all cold we get it originates north).

Yes, although i mean one with a direct feed that delivers to the north and north west, as oppose to a returning northerly, which means we miss out, there has not been one of those in a long time for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Its a pretty short lived affair even on the gfs and its not really on the ecm at all so its still a long shot even at only 9 days away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Its a pretty short lived affair even on the gfs and its not really on the ecm at all so its still a long shot even at only 9 days away

Is GFS overcooking it again with its cold bias? I am left wondering if this will melt by the time we get to it especially if its not on the ECM at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Kamili wrote: »
    Is GFS overcooking it again with its cold bias? I am left wondering if this will melt by the time we get to it especially if its not on the ECM at all...

ECM is not far off it, though it does not get the cold to Ireland in the same way, wouldn't take much for an upgrade. The 6Z GFS is similar to the 0Z, it is showing a cold outbreak from the North/North East around Feb 5th, and sustaining it for a good few days, not sure about snowfall, certainly some along the east coast, but very low day-time minima would follow as pressure rises a little, with very hard frosts.

As you say, its still there on the gfs 6z so decent consistency now from the gfs. In fact the 6z gfs shows a generally very cold first half of February

A short lived affair is better than nothing at all, as you say its nine days away, but its good we have seen a couple of runs suggesting it- just need that to continue and the ECM to come on board

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

A short lived affair is better than nothing at all, as you say its nine days away, but its good we have seen a couple of runs suggesting it- just need that to continue and the ECM to come on board

ECM and a nacho snow dance

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM is not that far away from evolving in to something better - just need some tweaks

ECM1-192.GIF?28-12

• Advertisement

NMB wrote: »
    ECM and a nacho snow dance

If that's what it takes for our snow starved comrades in the east to see some snow, then i am happy to oblige :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

ECM is not that far away from evolving in to something better - just need some tweaks

yes please!

please-be-quiet-kermit-is-working.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

high migrates over to Scandi, keeps the cold close to East coast

gfs-1-258.png?12

yes please!

please-be-quiet-kermit-is-working.jpg

We said to change the ECM as per the GFS, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

all i see is the UK being plastered with snow and we are just on the edge,hopefully things move a bit more in our favour

12z GFS is cold again but not an upgrade. The downgrade is in its own ensembles though, where it stands as a real notable outlier. The 6z were better ensembles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭roosterman71

jambofc wrote: »
    all i see is the UK being plastered with snow and we are just on the edge,hopefully things move a bit more in our favour

Yeah but this is FI, and the UK will be out of the EU by then so the cold will have a free run at us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Mortelaro wrote: »

Bit of a stretch to call that one a northerly, came direct from Siberia!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=22&month=2&hour=0&year=2018&map=4&region=&mode=2&type=ncep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah but this is FI, and the UK will be out of the EU by then so the cold will have a free run at us :D

Will there not be checks going over the Irish Sea though?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the latest GFS runs see's a potent northerly but it's too far east for us here in Ireland to get anything proper from it, the UK looks of course set for a pasting, we would need this notherly to shift about 300km westwards to have any meaningful impact here, but it's still about 10 days away and alot can change in that time, the northerly could also end up several 100km further eastwards leaving Ireland and the UK high and dry. Certainly something to keep watching with every run, fingers crossed we get something out of this and finally deliver a taste of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

All of that air originated in a sub artic continental climate geographically North of Ireland

Gonzo wrote: »
    the latest GFS runs see's a potent northerly but it's too far east for us here in Ireland to get anything proper from it, the UK looks of course set for a pasting, we would need this notherly to shift about 300km westwards to have any meaningful impact here, but it's still about 10 days away and alot can change in that time, the northerly could also end up several 100km further eastwards leaving Ireland and the UK high and dry. Certainly something to keep watching with every run, fingers crossed we get something out of this and finally deliver a taste of winter.

No northerly on the 18z output unfortunately. Typical

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No northerly on the 18z output unfortunately. Typical

Unfortunately there is just too much power in the Atlantic to hold anything for our position. The charts really want to bring colder weather for February but the wrath of the Atlantic is just too much this year, so much so that most of Europe away from high ground has barely seen a flake this winter. I still think it might be possible to get something in the second half of February but we really need something to disrupt those relentless long fetch westerlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Unfortunately there is just too much power in the Atlantic to hold anything for our position. The charts really want to bring colder weather for February but the wrath of the Atlantic is just too much this year, so much so that most of Europe away from high ground has barely seen a flake this winter. I still think it might be possible to get something in the second half of February but we really need something to disrupt those relentless long fetch westerlies.

Just need the jet to go for another early summer holiday down to the Azores. Maybe if we all chip for its hotel?

So as per the ECM it looks like we are back to relying on brief north westerly incursions for some snow in the first week of February

With the record strength of the pv, it was a bit of a long shot to hope for a potent northerly. When the pv naturally breaks down it could herald quite a cold spring for us!

So as per the ECM it looks like we are back to relying on brief north westerly incursions for some snow in the first week of February

With the record strength of the pv, it was a bit of a long shot to hope for a potent northerly. When the pv naturally breaks down it could herald quite a cold spring for us!

I don't mind a cold start to spring as long as we're still not getting temperatures in the single digits during June like last year! I can just see the northern blocking forming again into April and holding for many weeks on end. Most of the long range models are pointing towards a continuation of mild and Atlantic driven weather throughout the Spring with maybe a few areas of high pressure moving up from the south at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

. Most of the long range models are pointing towards a continuation of mild and Atlantic driven weather throughout the Spring with maybe a few areas of high pressure moving up from the south at times.

That will almost certainly not be the case. We will more than likely get a cold Spring when the PV weakens and cold air spills out. The zonal winds will reverse and we will get our much sought after easterly. Those long range models won’t be right all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

esposito wrote: »
    That will almost certainly not be the case. We will more than likely get a cold Spring when the PV weakens and cold air spills out. The zonal winds will reverse and we will get our much sought after easterly. Those long range models won’t be right all the time.

Almost certainly? Based on? Gonzo's prognosis has long term averages on its side.

I'm feeling a mucky late winter with frosty, but not snowy, interludes blending into milder but still humid conditions in March and a mild April /May overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

esposito wrote: »

Even when the pv weakens ,there is no guarantee the cold will spill down into eastern Europe /Siberia.
    The cold could just as easy pore into Canada North am America.
    Yes we will get an easterly but it could be a mild even a warm one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I don't know what the weather will do beyond 7 days. I know it's not the most profound statement ever made in the FI thread but it offers hope for all of us from 6th February on for whatever we're into :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement