Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

alzer100 wrote: »
    Agreed, I would like to see them extend that show to 2 hours and have it run to 7pm but personally would prefer to have it go out on a Sunday and have The Golden Years run for 2 hours on Saturday 5-7pm. I think 1 hour is quite short for both shows. I would also prefer to see Mickey Mac back to the old slot on Saturday playing those classic dance tracks. I think it was 3-5pm or 4-6pm?
    That's. what I would do if I were Aidan Leonard or whoever is actually in charge of programming the station.

We must be on different schedules in terms of how we listen :)

I actually like that it is one hour... I would find it hard to fit in 2 hours listening at that time and I listen 'live' through the TV rather than a recording.
    Dalys 80s used to go out in that 5pm Saturday slot and I liked that at 1 hour also.

I'd like to see it repeated though, a lot of people listen live to RTE Gold and I think a few catch up slots over the week for ABC to XTC show would make sense.

Hmm... is the presenter of the show John Connolly the author John Connolly?
    I think I've read some of his books...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Agreed, I would like to see them extend that show to 2 hours and have it run to 7pm but personally would prefer to have it go out on a Sunday and have The Golden Years run for 2 hours on Saturday 5-7pm. I think 1 hour is quite short for both shows. I would also prefer to see Mickey Mac back to the old slot on Saturday playing those classic dance tracks. I think it was 3-5pm or 4-6pm?
    That's. what I would do if I were Aidan Leonard or whoever is actually in charge of programming the station.

Did Mickey Mac, aka Michael McNamara , have a slot previously on Saturday afternoons playing dance classics on RTE Gold? That does not sound like RTE Gold's style at all. Might be more plausible for RTE Pulse. If you referring to his old dance show on 2FM, that was Saturday nights. If you mean his old afternoon show on Saturday afternoons on 2FM, or RTE Radio 2 as it was then, that was golden oldies - not dance music - and he was known as Michael McNamara then!

Did Mickey Mac, aka Michael McNamara , have a slot previously on Saturday afternoons playing dance classics on RTE Gold? That does not sound like RTE Gold's style at all. Might be more plausible for RTE Pulse. If you referring to his old dance show on 2FM, that was Saturday nights. If you mean his old afternoon show on Saturday afternoons on 2FM, or RTE Radio 2 as it was then, that was golden oldies - not dance music - and he was known as Michael McNamara then!

I remember he had a Saturday late afternoon \ early evening slot on RTE Gold, after Daly 80s finished.

More info here on his career:
    http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/mus1133.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

When I say "dance classics", I mean that very loosely as it was very mainstream but yes he did have a Saturday afternoon/evening slot on RTE Gold before they stopped weekend presenter programming in December 2019.

I know it's probably a discussion for another forum but I can't help thinking that this time 40 years ago, Dublin radio had NoVa idea for what was about to hit it in June of that year!!!

I think I got the month right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

When I say "dance classics", I mean that very loosely as it was very mainstream but yes he did have a Saturday afternoon/evening slot on RTE Gold before they stopped weekend presenter programming in December 2019.

Yeah I used remember Michael McNamara on Saturday & Sunday afternoons on Radio 2 back around mid '80's. Micky Mac had the 2FM Dance Show on Saturday nights during mid-late 90's and perhaps longer? I also recall Micky Mac doing a short-lived stint on RTÉ Gold in recent years. I think Micky Mac is the father of sports commentator, Conor MacNamara who works for BBC Radio 5 Live and who also does work for sports coverage on Virgin Media Television here in Ireland. He had worked at TV3 Ireland in it's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Yeah I used remember Michael McNamara on Saturday & Sunday afternoons on Radio 2 back around mid '80's. Micky Mac had the 2FM Dance Show on Saturday nights during mid-late 90's and perhaps longer? I also recall Micky Mac doing a short-lived stint on RTÉ Gold in recent years. I think Micky Mac is the father of sports commentator, Conor MacNamara who works for BBC Radio 5 Live and who also does work for sports coverage on Virgin Media Television here in Ireland. He had worked at TV3 Ireland in it's early days.
    And Conor Irwin (ex-Radio Nova) is the son of Robbie Irwin IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Mickey Macs old show on Gold, before the cull of weekend staff was a sort of Disco/Popular dance classic type job I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RINO87 wrote: »
    Mickey Macs old show on Gold, before the cull of weekend staff was a sort of Disco/Popular dance classic type job I think

No.. Micky had moved to a Saturday 4pm to 6pm slot, a general oldies show, before the removal of weekend Gold programmes.

His shows on Gold before then were dance classics programmes on various times on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons

Now he is "Living in the 70s" on Saturdays at 9am. A show previously presented by Lorcan Murray.

I wasn't aware that they had turned his show into a general RTE Gold programming slot "with a presenter". Any time I had listened to his show on a Saturday 4-6pm, he always seemed to play or lean towards playing mainstream dance/club/disco type music along with the general classic oldies, but look I am not an authority on dance/club music and I also wasn't listening to his show that much on the run-up to December 2019.

• Advertisement

He played around 20 to 30 mins of classic dance towards the end of his general 2 hour show.
    The rest of this show probably had a few other dance classics dispersed between Rock, Love songs etc

odyssey06 wrote: »

Micky is around 70 years old now. If he started on RTE Radio at 21 that would have been around 1972. Although there were years when he was not with RTE (between Lyric and Gold...8 years???) that's remains a long connection with RTE Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

enjoying will leahy each morning. I wonder does he then go to his "real" job in the Solicitors office once he finishes...

ABC to XTC starting with "This is the sound of the suburbs" ... which my sun addled head mondegreens into "This is the sound of summer..."

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Hour of jazz today on the Gold lounge, which I wasn't expecting but very welcome.

Listening to From ABC to XTC. So far REALLY getting to like this show.!

the show has been on 2XM for around the past 10 years

It's excellent if you are into the rare 80's.. though the voiced jingle "ABC to XTC" is pronounced "ABC to Ecstasy" which annoys me a bit.

Another gem from ABC to XTC, this was the closing song to Saturday's show.

The Pet Shop Boys were considered for the theme song to James Bond film The Living Daylights. Aha got the gig instead.

But the guys put a version of This Must Be The Place onto their next album. A few Bond \ soundtrack vibes coming across at the start and end I think:

"This must be the place I've waited just to leave". 2nd track on their 1990 album Behaviour. Great track, great album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Gold following up Bob Dylan’s Times They Are A-Changin’ this morning with Girls Aloud’s debut single Sound of the Underground. I’m usually forgiving of Gold’s sudden changes of genre, but that felt a bit much.

is there anything wrong with it? ....you'll hear nirvana followed by roger whittaker, so what!?...

far too much formatting and restricted playlists out there

good to hear micky mac presenting part of the Top 100 today

Rick O'Shea will be filling in for Tubridy on Radio 1 next Monday morning

At least RTE are for once getting an RTE Staffer to fill in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

RTE gold's schedule is looking pretty thread bare this Christmas and there isn't any daytime relays on Radio 1 this year either.

There's an ABC to XTC show on Christmas Day, will check it out on playback, not sure whether to expect quirky Christmas songs or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

How is this station doing these days - havn't listened in since March and have moved on to UK equivalents now in the car

Micky Mac doing his New Years Eve party tonight. I wonder is it live?

Last year it sounded live

I doubt it. Although it definitely will not be voice tracked, I would think the show was probably recorded "live" if you know what I mean. By commencing the program at exactly 9pm they can produce an accurate countdown to the new year but would love to be wrong on this.

• Advertisement

agreed, that would be how RTE Gold and others would do it, just like the countdown on TV.

but the listener requests into micky mac sounded genuine last year. maybe they were e-mailed in before.

Advertisement