Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What is training?
    I pretty much forget everything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Had a seminar with Lachlan Giles on sat. He stayed afterwards for hour to roll. His guard was a nightmare, even when he was letting me advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mellor wrote: »
    Had a seminar with Lachlan Giles on sat. He stayed afterwards for hour to roll. His guard was a nightmare, even when he was letting me advance.

Rub it in, you bastard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oooo look at me being able to train :pac:

Rub it in, you bastard :D

I was actually gonna reply to you first and say “I feel bad you you guys”. But felt THAT would have been rubbing it in too - but I do feel bad that it’s been a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I was actually gonna reply to you first and say “I feel bad you you guys”. But felt THAT would have been rubbing it in too - but I do feel bad that it’s been a year.

Can any of the mods suspend Mellor until we can train again? He's that person who will sit there and happily scoff chocolates in front of someone who's on a diet :D:D

Hi folks, after this lockdown I would love to try jiu jitsu. Is there any early morning -6am classes- on the Northside of dublin? Im Late 30s , kids etc so would love to get into it but would need early morning classes. I know sbg do early classes but wouldn't get back across the city in time for school runs work etc.
    Do team KF have early morning classes? Can't seem to find timetable for them or sbg Charlestown? TIA

Definitely do it, you won't regret it but I suggest taking the mainstream classes or if possible, a beginners class. Generally, the early classes are people looking to get in extra sessions or open mat. I have 2 kids, in my early 40's and work a full-time job, plus I have my own business too. I make the time to train - if you look for reasons why you can't, then you will struggle because it's a tough sport and most people quit. Even if it's 2 days a week, you will progress and then you can look at the early classes.

Regarding choice, you're spoilt...
    Team Ryano HQ - the most BB's in one Irish club and fantastic coaches
    RGA - Roger & Foxy are both Marcelo Garcia Black Belts and fantastic coaches
    Team KF has Tom King, probably the most decorated Irish BJJ athlete
    SBG Charlestown has Owen Roddy, another fantastic coach

Leave it until there is more info about when the clubs will be reopening and contact them. I strongly recommend getting in with a beginners class because you will feel completely hopeless. once you have found your feet, then go with the higher belts as that is the best way to improve.

If you get into it and need a gi, drop me a PM... I know a guy :-P

RoboRat wrote: »
    Can any of the mods suspend Mellor until we can train again?

I'll try censor my posts in future. :pac:

Will struggle to get training n this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Definitely do it, you won't regret it but I suggest taking the mainstream classes or if possible, a beginners class. Generally, the early classes are people looking to get in extra sessions or open mat. I have 2 kids, in my early 40's and work a full-time job, plus I have my own business too. I make the time to train - if you look for reasons why you can't, then you will struggle because it's a tough sport and most people quit. Even if it's 2 days a week, you will progress and then you can look at the early classes.

Regarding choice, you're spoilt...
    Team Ryano HQ - the most BB's in one Irish club and fantastic coaches
    RGA - Roger & Foxy are both Marcelo Garcia Black Belts and fantastic coaches
    Team KF has Tom King, probably the most decorated Irish BJJ athlete
    SBG Charlestown has Owen Roddy, another fantastic coach

Leave it until there is more info about when the clubs will be reopening and contact them. I strongly recommend getting in with a beginners class because you will feel completely hopeless. once you have found your feet, then go with the higher belts as that is the best way to improve.

If you get into it and need a gi, drop me a PM... I know a guy :-P

https://primalfitnessdrogheda.com/classes/brazilian-jiu-jitsu/

Do you mind me asking Is above any good? I’m closer to Drogheda then those other ones in Dublin.

I had been thinking of trying tai chi (more so for the mental benefits), so do you mind me asking what’s the main benefits of my jitsu for you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://primalfitnessdrogheda.com/classes/brazilian-jiu-jitsu/

Do you mind me asking Is above any good? I’m closer to Drogheda then those other ones in Dublin.

I had been thinking of trying tai chi (more so for the mental benefits), so do you mind me asking what’s the main benefits of my jitsu for you?

I'm not familliar with that club but it looks fine. I see Chris Leddy at the front in the picture on their site, a well known Irish BJJ blackbelt and I don't think he'd be involved with anything subpar.

Another option is JSBJJ Drogheda which is headed by Damien Dowling. Damien is a legit black belt and competitor who also runs the Samurai Grappling show. I would also recommend him but he's a friend so :pac:

In terms of the difference between Tai Chi and BJJ...

I have never done Tai Chi but I have done other martial arts which had an internal, softer focus, and to be honest the difference between them and BJJ is quite pronounced. BJJ, and any combat sport, will have a much much higher level of contact and most people find it quite physically demanding. BJJ can in theory be practiced by anyone, and some beginners classes and programs are well adapted to making it inclusive, but it is fair to say that it is more physically challenging than many martial arts and I would include Tai Chi in that assessment.

• Advertisement

I'm not familliar with that club but it looks fine. I see Chris Leddy at the front in the picture on their site, a well known Irish BJJ blackbelt and I don't think he'd be involved with anything subpar.
    I recognise one of the purple belts. Keith Kavanagh. He popped up in a Brandon McCaghren instructional (10th planet black belt). And was promoted to brown belt under him. So not sure how old or accurate that photo is. Maybe check out who the actual bjj coaches are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

My recommendation for people looking to start BJJ:

Firstly:

Find a gym that you are able to actually attend with as little hassle as possible. No point training at SBG Jupiter if it's a 500 light year commute there and back because it'll become a chore.

Secondly:

Don't be afraid to try out a few gyms and pick one that feels right, even if it's not a fancy as some of the others. If you get a good vibe from the place that can be half the battle; that way you'll actually look forward to training.

For myself, I trained at a world famous BJJ gym for a number of months (outside Ireland) and overall absolutely hated it; the atmosphere, the coaches, I actually resented having to go there every evening (but I love BJJ :) ). I made a swap to an equally popular gym and it worked out really well.

Thirdly:

Whilst bigger isn't always better, it is a good idea to go for a gym with as deep a talent pool as possible. When you're a beginner you won't know your ass from your elbow anyway so it won't be that apparent but as you move up the levels you'll see why having as many people of all levels is important to your development. You need people to absolutely kick your ass so that you're challenged and learn new things (and to get your ego firmly put back in place), you need people on your level so you can push yourself and you need people at a lower level than you so you can try out new techniques/submissions with a higher chance of success (poor white belts :D ).

I don't know the two purple belts referenced earlier so I won't comment on their BJJ, I can speculate that they'd probably do a fine job teaching beginners BJJ. However, from experience I can say that a gym with a (relatively) shallow talent pool can actually be harder to progress in as you're only ever going to be challenged in a certain number of ways. All other things being equal, I would prefer to train in a gym with a large member base than a small base.

Fourthly

The only way to get good at BJJ is to do BJJ. Avoid the "dry land swimming" as Bruce Lee referred to it as. If you want to get good at BJJ then you need to be on the mat doing BJJ, not doing a CrossFit workout or running hill sprints. So, in essence, you don't need to get fit before you do BJJ. I started when I was a complete mess; overweight, coughing and wheezing my way through the classes. It gets easier and it takes time for your body to adapt so be patient with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Find a gym that you are able to actually attend with as little hassle as possible. No point training at SBG Jupiter if it's a 500 light year commute there and back because it'll become a chore.

This is a huge factor for long term BJJ. I've seen so many people drop out because they didn't have time when work changed, or kids came along. Being able to fit BJJ into your life with minimal fuss is huge.

Doff wrote: »
    This is a huge factor for long term BJJ. I've seen so many people drop out because they didn't have time when work changed, or kids came along. Being able to fit BJJ into your life with minimal fuss is huge.

Beside your house, beside your work, or on the way between the two.
    Anything else is just asking for hassle

So, I mention the other week I was at a seminar the other week.
    There was some open mats afterwards. Rolled with a few others, mix of levels.
    At one point I was waiting for a roll. And this guy comes up to me an asks me for a roll. Looked like he was a brown belt from his rashie. He mentioned where he was from, and asked me. He was aware of one of the well know guys in my gym. He seemed familiar but couldn't recall from here.

So we start the roll. And he was kinda looking to attack my legs (it was a leglock seminar). I felt comfortable playing that game, so started to counter legs rather than escape. Long story short, I got to SLX, sweep, outside ashi > heelhook. Didn't apply it, just caught the position and locked the grip tightly. He tapped and made some comment about why he taps quickly to strangers. Me: "Makes sense, good roll, see you next time".

Though nothing more of it. Had another roll and left.
    But the other day (c.10 days later) it dawned on me where I knew him from.
    He was the ref that DQ'd me from a comp - 3 years ago when he said I was reaping vrs a guy from his affiliation. Ironically the position was actually SLX.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104524086&postcount=1095

So, I mention the other week I was at a seminar the other week.
    There was some open mats afterwards. Rolled with a few others, mix of levels.
    At one point I was waiting for a roll. And this guy comes up to me an asks me for a roll. Looked like he was a brown belt from his rashie. He mentioned where he was from, and asked me. He was aware of one of the well know guys in my gym. He seemed familiar but couldn't recall from here.

So we start the roll. And he was kinda looking to attack my legs (it was a leglock seminar). I felt comfortable playing that game, so started to counter legs rather than escape. Long story short, I got to SLX, sweep, outside ashi > heelhook. Didn't apply it, just caught the position and locked the grip tightly. He tapped and made some comment about why he taps quickly to strangers. Me: "Makes sense, good roll, see you next time".

Though nothing more of it. Had another roll and left.
    But the other day (c.10 days later) it dawned on me where I knew him from.
    He was the ref that DQ'd me from a comp - 3 years ago when he said I was reaping vrs a guy from his affiliation. Ironically the position was actually SLX.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104524086&postcount=1095

That's one thing I don't like about single X - it can be interpreted as a reap even when it's not, and I once saw a guy push the leg over past the midline and then complain to the ref about it being a reap. I generally use the single X to get to full X, or just sweep using it or use it as a set-up for DLR guard.

That's one thing I don't like about single X - it can be interpreted as a reap even when it's not, and I once saw a guy push the leg over past the midline and then complain to the ref about it being a reap. I generally use the single X to get to full X, or just sweep using it or use it as a set-up for DLR guard.

Yeah. It can happen (see old post above). But I like the position a lot, especially as a transition position, and I stubbornly refuse to be less effective because some people don’t know the rules.

The guy moving your foot should get DQ’d most of the time. Some pathetic lads out there to be trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

That's one thing I don't like about single X - it can be interpreted as a reap even when it's not, and I once saw a guy push the leg over past the midline and then complain to the ref about it being a reap.

I've seen that happen multiple times at competitions. Anytime the ref saw it they just told them to stop. Should be an immediate DQ in my opinion.

Next season of TUF is Ortega v Volkanovski.
    Ortega is bringing in Rener Gracie as his jiujitsu coach. So Volkanovski is bringing in Craig Jones.
    Craig was posting on Reddit and said he was going to challenge Rener to match.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Next season of TUF is Ortega v Volkanovski.
    Ortega is bringing in Rener Gracie as his jiujitsu coach. So Volkanovski is bringing in Craig Jones.
    Craig was posting on Reddit and said he was going to challenge Rener to match.

This should be a fun one to watch, traditional jiu jitsu from Rener vs the new wave with Craig.

• Advertisement

What's the outlook like for getting back to training/rolling now? Weeks away?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What's the outlook like for getting back to training/rolling now? Weeks away?

No real plan to be honest.

Although, I know a few clubs have been interpreting the new "Adult exercise outside allowed in pods of 15" rules as putting mats down in the car park and rolling in groups of 15.

The overall thing I keep hearing is "Mid-July" which seems realistic to me.

As a 4 stripe white belt who was two weeks out from the club's graduation before everything shut down......... i'm eager to get back :D

MrStuffins wrote: »

Although, I know a few clubs have been interpreting the new "Adult exercise outside allowed in pods of 15" rules as putting mats down in the car park and rolling in groups of 15.

As a 4 stripe white belt who was two weeks out from the club's graduation before everything shut down......... i'm eager to get back :D

The extended closing of the gyms gave my new piercing time to heal so I should hopefully be good to go mid July. Haven't trained in 2 ish years now so I expect to remember nothing when I get back at it.

MrStuffins wrote: »

I've seen quite a few clubs training in parks or carparks. Won't name them here. But they are both part of a the same know affiliation. One in T and the other C.
    Looks like just drilling, if they are rolling that's not going on instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've seen quite a few clubs training in parks or carparks. Won't name them here. But they are both part of a the same know affiliation. One in T and the other C.
    Looks like just drilling, if they are rolling that's not going on instagram.

A club close to me had a session on Saturday in the car park of their gym, regular session with rolling. They advertised the rolling part in Instagram posts too, which I found strange but hey!

They've been one of the clubs who have stuck as close to the restrictions as possible so i'm guessing if you look closely, nothing is mentioned about physical contact? I'm not sure.

Friend of mine in GB is back training outdoors. Bastard.

Got an email from SBG just after I sent that last message, looks to be 7th June for re-opening.
    Solo drills for now, showers and changing rooms staying closed so looks like I won't be back on 7th anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Outdoor training in my place. Full sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

They are working off government guidelines of outdoor training in pods of 15, which sport Ireland have clarified as ‘Outdoor contact training in pods of maximum 15 people is permitted for adults and under 18s’.

https://www.sportireland.ie/covid19/sport-faqs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Dave 101 wrote: »
    They are working off government guidelines of outdoor training in pods of 15, which sport Ireland have clarified as ‘Outdoor contact training in pods of maximum 15 people is permitted for adults and under 18s’.

https://www.sportireland.ie/covid19/sport-faqs

The vaccine bonus allowing fully vaccinated people from 3 households to meet indoors without any restrictions seems to point the way forward for a return to private BJJ training indoors.

I know it's not specified, but if I am fully vaccinated and have two teammates who are fully vaccinated then it would seem that if you were training together privately in your house there would no longer be any public health or legal impediment of any kind.

I know a lot of people will have been training away like this anyway, but nonetheless...

It'll be interesting to see when pod-based indoor training comes back. I can't see outdoor BJJ training being consistently do-able in Irish weather, although maybe weather-permitting you could have it at short notice.

Advertisement