Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a new wetsuit

• 30-03-2021 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I posted this in swimming but got no response. Sorry for duplicating. Maybe somebody could come back to me here

I've had a zone3 wetsuit for 7 years. Still fits me perfect. Used to do triathlons, not any more.

It's starting to come apart at the seams. Little holes everywhere.

Been going for dips all winter in it and only really started to swim and cover distance.

I'll be doing a lot of lake swimming this summer, maybe a bit of open sea if we are allowed to roam free across this island.

I've picked out 2 suits initially that look good

https://www.wetsuitout...e-ombre-p-32176.html

Or

https://www.orca.com/i...-trn-core-openwater/

If anybody has ideas or opinions let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Neither of those links seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

themighty wrote: »
    Neither of those links seem to be working.

You're right.

One is an Orca Trn core
    https://jellyfishsurfshop.com/swim-wetsuits/1557-orca-openwater-core-trn-mens.html

The other a 2xu p1 propel

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/2xu-p1-propel-wetsuit-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

All wetsuits are compromises between insulation and flexibility. Generally speaking they will have thicker neoprene around the core, and thinner around the limbs (and sometimes shoulders). Thicker means you stay warmer, and also means greater buoyancy.

Its hard to suggest one suit over another without knowing much about the wearer. Lakes in Ireland are usually colder than the sea, and since they are fresh water you won't float as well. So if you have a lot of body fat you might need a different suit than someone who is skinny and prone to the cold.

You can also over-analyse these things- the most important thing is getting the fit right, everything after that is a bonus. Both the suits you linked are up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

bridest wrote: »

Either of those is suitable as a knocking around swim wetsuit.

The old version of the Orca TRN was uncoated neoprene and could withstand knocks and bumps. Neither is as bouyant or as 'balanced' as a true tri swimming wetsuit and will be slightly less flexible but unless you have perfect stroke technique you are very unlikely to notice any difference.

Where finances allowed, would always recommend a good suit for competition and one of these for training and general swim use.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

I couldn't agree more with Kurt. Fitting is everything.

• Advertisement

sconhome wrote: »
    Either of those is suitable as a knocking around swim wetsuit.

The old version of the Orca TRN was uncoated neoprene and could withstand knocks and bumps. Neither is as bouyant or as 'balanced' as a true tri swimming wetsuit and will be slightly less flexible but unless you have perfect stroke technique you are very unlikely to notice any difference.

Where finances allowed, would always recommend a good suit for competition and one of these for training and general swim use.

Maybe I'll order both. And whatever one suits best I'll keep. Send the other one back!
    I'll be swimming mostly in lakes, unless I get moving to closer to the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

I'd echo the others on fit being most important. Maybe look at the Orca S7 as well, I think it's a closer equivalent to the Propel than the TRN.

themighty wrote: »
    I'd echo the others on fit being most important. Maybe look at the Orca S7 as well, I think it's a closer equivalent to the Propel than the TRN.

Good call on the s7. I'll order both, and whatever one fits me best ill keep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good call on the s7. I'll order both, and whatever one fits me best ill keep

Double check the returns on wetsuit policy and be super careful if fitting. Any marks or nail damage and you could be in trouble for a return.

Use your zone 3 as a guide to size when ordering. Good luck with it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I posted this in swimming but got no response. Sorry for duplicating. Maybe somebody could come back to me here

I've had a zone3 wetsuit for 7 years. Still fits me perfect. Used to do triathlons, not any more.

It's starting to come apart at the seams. Little holes everywhere.

Been going for dips all winter in it and only really started to swim and cover distance.

I'll be doing a lot of lake swimming this summer, maybe a bit of open sea if we are allowed to roam free across this island.

I've picked out 2 suits initially that look good

https://www.wetsuitout...e-ombre-p-32176.html

Or

https://www.orca.com/i...-trn-core-openwater/

If anybody has ideas or opinions let me know.

Why would you not buy the same suit if you liked it and fit perfectly?which one was it .
    . Somebody mentioned the s7 which is a Good suit but it depends on your body type if it will fit as well as zone 3 they are not massively different cut but there is differences.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    Why would you not buy the same suit if you liked it and fit perfectly?which one was it .
    . Somebody mentioned the s7 which is a Good suit but it depends on your body type if it will fit as well as zone 3 they are not massively different cut but there is differences.

I'd like to try something different. My zone 3 was good, but a friend got one last year and under the arms started to blister and open up. Also happened to another person. Maybe zone 3 quality has dropped since I got mine

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bartybull

Orca s7. The fit should be tight it should be difficult to get on. I bought matching scull cap gloves and booties. Grear for when the water is cooler. I bought mine in the edge but have lost weight since and water comes in the neck back area

I'd like to try something different. My zone 3 was good, but a friend got one last year and under the arms started to blister and open up. Also happened to another person. Maybe zone 3 quality has dropped since I got mine
    fair enough
    would you now which zone 3 it is for most triathletes the s7 and 3.8 are the best orca suits. in the bmc team which is sponsored by orca 2019 every athlete chose the orca 3.8 which is not the most expensive suit in their range after testing it
    the thing with orca is upper body is shorter than zone 3 so if you have a longer uper body than it is not that great.

fair enough
    would you now which zone 3 it is for most triathletes the s7 and 3.8 are the best orca suits. in the bmc team which is sponsored by orca 2019 every athlete chose the orca 3.8 which is not the most expensive suit in their range after testing it
    the thing with orca is upper body is shorter than zone 3 so if you have a longer uper body than it is not that great.

Good to know, I do have a long upper body

fair enough

You were right, got the Orca S7 today. Far too short on the body, have to send it back. Weird sizing. Also, for something that is more expensive than my old Zone 3, the materials do not seem as high quality

you dont tell me much but based on what i can see, have a look at a blue seventy sprint Mt .

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I have just taken delivery of the S7 today - looks like a nice suit, I can't wait to try it out.

A quick question for any experts, along the above theme: does the suit stretch with use? I fit right in the middle of the size I ordered so was feeling pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues, I know it should be fairly snug, but this feels tight, like seriously body hugging tight :eek:

I'm not sure whether to go and test it out or whether to change it up a size.

wrstan wrote: »
    this feels tight, like seriously body hugging tight

Yeah they should feel tight out of the water (and tight too when first out of the box). Tight enough that it takes effort to put it on, but not so tight you can't breath. The suit will feel less constrictive when you get in the water.

Also, search for videos on how to put on a wetsuit (specific to your brand if possible). If you slowly pinch it to move an inch up from the forearm to the shoulder, you'll have a better fit and less constrictive. I spend about 5-10minutes putting on a suit and adjusting it.

I have just taken delivery of the S7 today - looks like a nice suit, I can't wait to try it out.

A quick question for any experts, along the above theme: does the suit stretch with use? I fit right in the middle of the size I ordered so was feeling pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues, I know it should be fairly snug, but this feels tight, like seriously body hugging tight :eek:

Sent mine back, size was weird. Fit perfect on legs and about 3 inches too short on torso. Cost me 40 euro to send it back and their support have no responded in a week. Good luck with it, make sure it's fitting snug under your arms otherwise you won't be getting proper rotation in the water

tight is relative if you can close it yourself its usally not too tight. my race suit i can not close myelf unless iam total race weight and it would still be a seruous struggle to do.
    chances are high if you can close your wetsuit yourself than it will let water in when you swim.

at the same time is also depends how nervous you are . if you are nervous aobut the sea than you want less restrictive as less chance to hyperventilate.

i think a good rule of thumb is really tight is when it takes about 7to 10 min to get it on . to lose is if it takes less than 3 min to get it on. take those numbers with a grain of salt but its and indication. in my race suit that fits really well i really struggle to get in its a fight.
    so it should be some work to put a wetsuit on but they will stretch when in the water . so unless your feel really restricted around the chest and you are worried of open water swiming i would say chances are very high it is ok.

and as kurt also says its important to put suit on proper its not brand specific though the princicples are the same. what is important is that once the wetduit is zipped up the reall fit process starts .

https://www.google.com/search?q=putting+on+a+wetsuit&oq=putting+on+a++wetsuit++&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i19l2j0i19i22i30l7.5152j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_0Zh0YJT1G5W91fAPnLaS2A012
    i did not watch this but it had the 2 things i wanted to see so its at least decent.
    the only thing to notice is this is the expensive suit ie a more flexilbe material than yours.

• Advertisement

what is important is that once the wetduit is zipped up the reall fit process starts .

Thats a great way of putting it. Should be stamped in big letters on every wetsuit box.

Thanks all for that, Peter and Kurt, it's really helpful. I've tried the suit on again having watched a couple of those videos and I'm confident it is right. It was important for me to get the cuffs high enough above the ankle as a starting point. Once I got that right the rest seemed to follow. Can't wait to get out in it.

Just a follow up to the post above, I took the S7 out for its maiden voyage on Friday (then again on Saturday, then again on Sunday).

It fits great, thanks to the good advice on putting it on. I really like it, it's comfortable, warm, the only thing I'm getting used to is that I feel like my legs are very high in the water. Looking forward to another quick dip after work this evening!

Anybody tried the cskins swim research wetsuit ?

did not try it at the same time the neoprene is on the thin side which is good for warmer swims and proper swimmers generally speaking
    or in other words if you look for and s7 than i fail to see why you would look at this suit.
    while the cut of front neck and side looks very good for many people the back of the neck will be a neck chafer as it is very high.

did not try it at the same time the neoprene is on the thin side which is good for warmer swims and proper swimmers generally speaking
    or in other words if you look for and s7 than i fail to see why you would look at this suit.
    while the cut of front neck and side looks very good for many people the back of the neck will be a neck chafer as it is very high.

Hello , good to know

I've already tried the s7 in a size 7 and it didn't fit me. Had to send it back.

Maybe I'll just go back to zone3. My old zone3 advance in a size large fit me perfect.
    Very difficult to know what to get

I've decided to go up a level, after having tried 2 entry level suits

either the Zone 3 Aspire
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zone3-mens-aspire-wetsuit-1

or the

Blueseventy Reaction

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/blueseventy-reaction-wetsuit-2

What makes you believe those suits are going up a level?

What makes you believe those suits are going up a level?

Exactly how would I know ahha sure can't go to see or try anything

• Advertisement

Exactly how would I know ahha sure can't go to see or try anything

The biggest problem with buying online is the fit- people often don't have much info to go on and end up deciding on a wetsuit by price (or by discount- I've done this myself).

I don't know where you live, but Base2Race in Dublin are open and will let you try on wetsuits in store. They sell the ZeroD range which have a variety of sizes, and the staff there know their stuff. I bought one there a few years back, expected to be size XL but the staff member sized me by sight as a Medium Tall. The suit felt way too tight in the store, but I was assured it was the correct size, and indeed it was once I started swimming in the water. They aren't the cheapest suits around but its worth paying whatever it takes for the advice you'll get.

Advertisement