Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Punchestown 2014 tips/talk/gossip

• 14-04-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Said id start a new thread for this exciting up and coming festival few cracking races anyone hear of any outsiders or any bankers yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Hidden Cyclone to finally get a win

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

The fly to beat Jezki...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

The Fly to beat Jezki but only if it gets a bit softer. Good ground and I'd be on Jezki probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Ruby said tonight on Second Captains he plans on racing at the festival and not just to make up the numbers. Riding out this weekend in preparation. That is an unreal recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ruby said tonight on Second Captains he plans on racing at the festival and not just to make up the numbers. Riding out this weekend in preparation. That is an unreal recovery.

It is although he will have a good few weeks after Punchestown to recuperate because the flat season is taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Will Un De Sceaux run in the Champion Hurdle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Will Un De Sceaux run in the Champion Hurdle?

Wouldn't have thought so. I think they'll try get Hurricane Fly his 20th Grade 1 success and then retire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

rossom wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought so. I think they'll try get Hurricane Fly his 20th Grade 1 success and then retire him.

Could they not run both. Un De Sceaux has run in either small fields with no challenge or over a distance that didn't suit in France. Surely the owners will demand he runs to find out how good he is. I would be losing patience at this stage if i owned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Hard to get excited about Punchestown. Holding Ireland's foremost National Hunt Festival at the end of April/beginning of May is about as sensible as Ascot having a Champions' Flat meeting on heavy ground in the middle of October......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Hard to get excited about Punchestown. Holding Ireland's foremost National Hunt Festival at the end of April/beginning of May is about as sensible as Ascot having a Champions' Flat meeting on heavy ground in the middle of October......

It's a double edged sword really.. They want big players..they can't clash with aintree or Cheltenham..they can't have a big festival in February given proximity to Cheltenham and leopardstown..only other option would probably be November..chances the best horses being fully wound up for November is small..really difficult to find another time to run them. Personally I really like the festival, and if some UK trainers were a bit smarter they would run their Cheltenham horses here instead of aintree given how flat some horses run there and how much it suits certain horses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Un de Sceaux confirmed for France on Saturday instead of Punchestown. Hong Kong next eh Willie! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Un de Sceaux confirmed for France on Saturday instead of Punchestown. Hong Kong next eh Willie! :rolleyes:

What distance is that race?

EDIT,,, 2m 3 and a half furlongs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Cant wait to see vautour again.

What distance is that race?

EDIT,,, 2m 3 and a half furlongs

Love the horse but kinda hope he's beaten. Should never be ran over anything bar the minimum IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Module confirmed for punchestown but is balder success? He is 8/1 currently and i think that is a big eachway price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Strange to hear Ted Walsh completely dismiss the chances of Hurricane Fly reversing the Champion Hurdle placings with Jezki at Punchestown next week during the racing coverage on RTE over the weekend. Walsh seems to have a very selective memory. Jezki has twice finished behind Hurricane Fly this season, and we all know that Cheltenham is a track that doesn't really suit Hurricane Fly, which makes his two Champion Hurdle wins there all the more remarkable. I hope Ted will be eating his words next week.

Strange to hear Ted Walsh completely dismiss the chances of Hurricane Fly reversing the Champion Hurdle placings with Jezki at Punchestown next week during the racing coverage on RTE over the weekend. Walsh seems to have a very selective memory. Jezki has twice finished behind Hurricane Fly this season, and we all know that Cheltenham is a track that doesn't really suit Hurricane Fly, which makes his two Champion Hurdle wins there all the more remarkable. I hope Ted will be eating his words next week.

Although I'd say its not a surprise if HF wins but Jezki absolutely lives punchestown based on his run last season..he will have it all to do

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Un De Sceaux going to France this weekend and not Punchestown, horse has not run at any of the big meetings/festivals in Ireland/England this season :rolleyes:

kfallon wrote: »
    Un De Sceaux going to France this weekend and not Punchestown, horse has not run at any of the big meetings/festivals in Ireland/England this season :rolleyes:

Willie's also hinting that he could go over fences next season now too. He'll get the horse killed before he gives him a proper chance over hurdles it seems..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Willie's also hinting that he could go over fences next season now too. He'll get the horse killed before he gives him a proper chance over hurdles it seems..

I'm pretty sure he knows more about his own horses than any of us. He obviously knows he's no where near Hurricane fly ,and if hes not going to compete in a champion hurdle why not over fences.. Id love to see him flying in the arkle next year. It has to be said all he has done yet like a lot of more or less unproven novices is look good against inferior horses.

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he knows more about his own horses than any of us. He obviously knows he's no where near Hurricane fly ,and if hes not going to compete in a champion hurdle why not over fences.. Id love to see him flying in the arkle next year. It has to be said all he has done yet like a lot of more or less unproven novices is look good against inferior horses.

Not even getting into this argument with you. Utterly pointless. If you believe that's the reason UDS had been campaigned the way he has then fair enough. Plenty of others with a different view, myself included.

FWIW I'm pretty sure he's somewhere near HF at this stage of their respective careers.

Not even getting into this argument with you. Utterly pointless. If you believe that's the reason UDS had been campaigned the way he has then fair enough. Plenty of others with a different view, myself included.

FWIW I'm pretty sure he's somewhere near HF at this stage of their respective careers.

To be fair Jim I've been shouting from the rooftops about UDS since last season and I personally feel a little let down by his run in Auteil actually receiving 7lb's to a 3m 2f horse!!
    You could argue that he ran over a distance to far but we know the champion hurdle plays out like a race over 2m all things counted for. You can't get away from the fact gemix got so close to beating him giving him weight..
    If you could put the same race in Auteil back in February and a price of 12-1 was available for the champion I wouldn't have backed him...
    I personally wouldn't be surprised if blood cotil won the race at the weekend..will have to see the weights.
    Sending him over 2m 3 again is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Ruby rides UDS Saturday. How in gods name did he recover from that injury so quickly.

ste2010 wrote: »
    To be fair Jim I've been shouting from the rooftops about UDS since last season and I personally feel a little let down by his run in Auteil actually receiving 7lb's to a 3m 2f horse!!
    You could argue that he ran over a distance to far but we know the champion hurdle plays out like a race over 2m all things counted for. You can't get away from the fact gemix got so close to beating him giving him weight..
    If you could put the same race in Auteil back in February and a price of 12-1 was available for the champion I wouldn't have backed him...
    I personally wouldn't be surprised if blood cotil won the race at the weekend..will have to see the weights.
    Sending him over 2m 3 again is madness

Don't think UDS will ever be at his best over a trip given how hard he goes. Gemix is a very good horse on his own turf anyway as shown when beating Solwhit comfortably last season. He clearly underperformed badly when coming over to Cheltenham this season. I wouldn't back UDS this weekend tbh and would consider backing Gemix pride depending. Do think UDS at least deserves a crack at top 2m race in Ireland though and the excuses trotted out for skipping Cheltenham with him don't really apply to Punchestown given the likely field and how impressive he was there previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Un De Sceaux gets 10lb this time from Gemix ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

BumperD wrote: »
    Ruby rides UDS Saturday. How in gods name did he recover from that injury so quickly.

Injury wasn't near as bad as first reported, the compound fracture was a straightforward break and the cut above the elbow healed in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Why is Annie Power not in the betting for the world hurdle with Paddy Power?
    Quevega is a balls deep bet for me if Annie isnt there

Moon Dice wrote: »
    Why is Annie Power not in the betting for the world hurdle with Paddy Power?
    Quevega is a balls deep bet for me if Annie isnt there

She's not running in it. They want Quevega to get the 5 in a row double.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tipster

annie is running in the mares hurdle on the saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

tipster wrote: »
    annie is running in the mares hurdle on the saturday

Great price too!

Advertisement