Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thursday 17/4

• 16-04-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Cheltenham 3:50

Golden Chieftain
    travelled well last time out at Aintree and I fancy it was just a lack of fitness that made him weaken at the end of the race. He is back here quickly after than run and really looks to be back on the upgrade. If he can travel as well here, he doesn’t have nearly as strong opposition as that race and 9/1 looks value especially given his further 3lbs drop in mark.

2 Points win 9/1 Bet365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Backed Ibsen at 7/1 in the last at Tipperary.

Nearly pipped my tip Black Spot On last time out at Leopardstown. Horse has seen a hike in the ratings, but still at a competitive mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When's this bet going to be announced Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

3.05 Ripon

Compton Park 6/1

Although the draw in stall 2 could have been a little better, I think Compton Park is going to take an awful lot of beating and 6/1 rates an excellent price to me. Trained by Les Eyre who has recently returned to Britain having spent 10 years in Spain and is best known for winning the 1997 Ebor with Far Ahead, Compton Park was a great servant to his trainer in Spain where he won 5 times and I thought he made a hugely promising return to British soil (trained by Hughie Morrison until 3) at Doncaster on the opening weekend of the flat season. Having being assigned a mark of 82 by the handicapper for his Spanish exploits, this 7 year old ran a blinder to be a never nearer 4th in testing conditions over 7f under David Allan. Held up throughout the contest, Compton Park travelled very well throughout the contest and was too far back in a race that suited those up with the pace but he made up an awful lot of ground quickly until being eased in the final furlong when it was clear he couldn't catch the leading trio. The form of that race has already taken a significant boost when the 3rd home Trade Secret won in good style by 4L off the same mark subsequently and I think the handicapper dropping Compton Park 1lb to a mark of 81 looks lenient. Sure to come on for the run on his first start since leaving Spain, Compton Park is returned to 6f on good ground which should suit him (won in these conditions in Spain) and I think he looks primed for a massive showing. With Les Eyre training his first winner since returning to Britain with Real Tigress yesterday, I firmly believe Compton Park will follow her into the winners enclosure if stall 2 doesn't prove a massive negative and I have backed him with confidence at a really generous 6/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Fancy Quartz du Thai 16-1- topout up a good performance in the race with golden chieftain. Has nice Cheltenham form and he's in last chance saloon today.
    Another one I like the look of is imperial leader 14-1 in the handicap with ryan hatch claiming 7. I was very disappointed with his last run at sandown given how bullish connections were..hoping they can make amends today

Was waiting to see if Quartz De Thaix drifted before putting him up.

• Advertisement

rossom wrote: »
    Was waiting to see if Quartz De Thaix drifted before putting him up.

20's now with 888. Only shortening with lads by the blue on oddschecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Just the treble for me today glutton for punishment, Gambling girl in the first for jessica harrington has some nice form before last two runs and has had a break so should be fresh for this. She Ranks me looks a great price at 7-2 in a weak race, and gonna chance Down ace at nice prices in the third ew douggie costello might be able to encourage the form she had shown before cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When's this bet going to be announced Francie?

You said Thursday night/Friday morning, my bad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Can anyone advise on how detrimental a high draw on the round course at Tipp would have to a horses chances over 7f?

Think Jackemil will go close in the 5.35 at a nice price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

only1stevo wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on how detrimental a high draw on the round course at Tipp would have to a horses chances over 7f?

Think Jackemil will go close in the 5.35 at a nice price.

Looked through that race and noticed him earlier as Dashwood came into my Tracker last night and he is the one I am hopeful can go close now that he is eased slightly in the weights. 14/1 still widely available

• Advertisement

Money looks like its trickling in for Quartz De Thaix now. Grabbed a bit of 22s there a while ago.

Off a mark of 139, Quartz De Thaix is now back to his last winning mark when a comfortable scorer at Haydock back in 2012 and 8lb below the mark when a fine 2nd to Master Overseer at Cheltenham on his next start. Since then he's been predominantly kept over hurdles where he has run very well off higher marks (I think he's a much better chaser) and he could go very close here today.

rossom wrote: »
    Money looks like its trickling in for Quartz De Thaix now. Grabbed a bit of 22s there a while ago.

Off a mark of 139, Quartz De Thaix is now back to his last winning mark when a comfortable scorer at Haydock back in 2012 and 8lb below the mark when a fine 2nd to Master Overseer at Cheltenham on his next start. Since then he's been predominantly kept over hurdles where he has run very well off higher marks (I think he's a much better chaser) and he could go very close here today.
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thought Toormore would be heavy odds on. Backed him at even money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Jessica Harrington doesn't often send horses to Cheltenham so when she does, I take note. Two mares running today and the one that interests me is cailin annamh. Has a very good strike rate with 6 wins from 11 runs and some decent form in the book. The mares hurdke last month was her first run after a long break and combined with the soft ground, can be forgiven for finishing down the field in the mares hurdle at the festival. She has black type already so I doubt they are here to make up the numbers. Acts on good or better ground and has won over 20f. Despite the big field and going to give away weight i think she's worth an ew bet in this listed event at 11\1. Lily Waugh ran well in a bumper here so she needs respecting though she wilted late on lto so I'm not sure the trip is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lack of interest in the flat on here pains me.

A lot of confidence behind Be ready in the craven but I think Toormore is definitely the one to beat, If he runs to the form of his vintage stakes win Be ready will have to be something special to get the better of him. Missed the evens but happy to take 10/11.

Aljamaheer is an interesting one dropping back to 6f having showed a lot of natural speed over 7f/1m and if he proves as effective over this trip he should have a class edge over his rivals. 6/5 is skinny enough so I might swerve but an interesting watching brief all the same.

Curse of Hugh Taylor strikes again. Compton Park didn't really seem to handle the track that well but was bitterly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Johner wrote: »
    Thought Toormore would be heavy odds on. Backed him at even money.

Yeeeeeehaw. Got my left testicle back from Aintree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Johner wrote: »
    Yeeeeeehaw. Got my left testicle back from Aintree!

Still missing my right. Hope to rectify that this weekend though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Would have backed the Grey Gatsby if there were 3 places. Those Mastercraftsmans training on very well, Mister Craftsman was 3rd in a decent race at 80/1 behind Kingman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Jesus Weld has some good bunch of fillies this year(mostly for the Aga Khan mind you). Another there in Tipp scoots in.

• Advertisement

Apparently Compton Park burst a blood vessel which explains his performance.

I think 7.05 Tipperary Zarib 10/1 looks a huge price. I like the look of his Maiden win and I think he can make a successful handicap debut in this 5 runner contest.

Elegant Piece traded at 1.01 there.

Had the one bet in Tipp goes in the last here thought South South West was fairly overpriced at 10s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Backed Ibsen at 7/1 in the last at Tipperary.

Nearly pipped my tip Black Spot On last time out at Leopardstown. Horse has seen a hike in the ratings, but still at a competitive mark.
    2nd, bleh.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Had the one bet in Tipp goes in the last here thought South South West was fairly overpriced at 10s.

Travelled into the race nicely but perhaps a bit to soon. Found nothing for pressure but I think he will have a day soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

kiers47 wrote: »
    Travelled into the race nicely but perhaps a bit to soon. Found nothing for pressure but I think he will have a day soon enough.

Have been following this fella for a while. On the flat he Seems a bit ungenuine. Often travels well into races only to fade and or fails to settle.

I here he has schooled very well over fences and he was a half decent hurdler running some nice races last season.

Owners turned down a reported 200k for him earlier in the year on the basis that they think he could be v good over a fence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

BumperD wrote: »
    Jessica Harrington doesn't often send horses to Cheltenham so when she does, I take note. Two mares running today and the one that interests me is cailin annamh. Has a very good strike rate with 6 wins from 11 runs and some decent form in the book. The mares hurdke last month was her first run after a long break and combined with the soft ground, can be forgiven for finishing down the field in the mares hurdle at the festival. She has black type already so I doubt they are here to make up the numbers. Acts on good or better ground and has won over 20f. Despite the big field and going to give away weight i think she's worth an ew bet in this listed event at 11\1. Lily Waugh ran well in a bumper here so she needs respecting though she wilted late on lto so I'm not sure the trip is ideal.

She ran her race and arrived at the last ready to challenge. Unfortunately, so did 6 others. Winner was impressive. Most races at Cheltenham today were won by quite a few lengths. Hopefully Good Friday lives up to its name :)

Advertisement