Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant Pot Cooker 60% off on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

3.5 min from the time you put rice and water? Or from the time it builds up the pressure?
    And is it basmati rice?
    Miike wrote: »
    You'd not want to do that. White rice takes 3.5 mins to cook in the instant pot! Just cook it off when finished curry :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seriously tempted by this, I tend to use a slow cooker every week day during the winter. Can I just check I'm reading it right, this is a slow cooker too, but does quick stuff using pressure cooker? Would this be a good size for 2 adults 2 kids?

Say Hello to my BIG friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Ok! Ordered one aswell!

Hahah. Made first dinner. Turned out well :D
    Let's see how it runs on longer term.
    893bet wrote: »
    Ok! Ordered one aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Is this model big enough for 5-6 people for say a curry or casserole?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Hahah. Made first dinner. Turned out well :D
    Let's see how it runs on longer term.

Why you make? And how long it take?

Yes It is. 5.7 litre capacity.
    Is this model big enough for 5-6 people for say a curry or casserole?

I made chicken and chickpeas curry.
    Took 10 min once pressure started.
    Was definitely quick!! And fried onions in the same pot.
    893bet wrote: »
    Why you make? And how long it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Yogurt from it is class.

White rice too, 3 mins high pressure and 20 natural release. Equal quantity of rice and water.

Octopus took like 5 mins on high.

I highly recommend.

• Advertisement

Any recipe for yoghurt please?
    Lemsiper wrote: »
    Yogurt from it is class.

White rice too, 3 mins high pressure and 20 natural release. Equal quantity of rice and water.

I highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

Are these not the same (or similar) as the King Pressure Pro 5 litre which are available in did for €69.99? It’s also a slow cooker/pressure cooker. Might be an option for some

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yogurt from it is class.

I highly recommend.

To ask a stupid question, 3 on high and 23 release - is this a 23 minute time from putting it into the pot?

Or does it need time to build up as well?

Depending on the quantity of water, it will take 3-6 min to build up the pressure.
    To make things quicker, I cook longer on high heat and release the steam manually.

So I cooked chicken boneless cubes yesterday, 1 kg.
    Took some 3 min to build up pressure, then went on high pressure for 7 min. Then I released steam manually.
    So total time 10 min from the time I put in chicken and close the lid.

Ofcourse I did saute onions, spices, etc in the beginning which took additional 5 min.
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    To ask a stupid question, 3 on high and 23 release - is this a 23 minute time from putting it into the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Octopus

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

\I have both, and it's pretty much all I use. The oven gets turned on about once a month or less.

Instant Pot - risottos, curries, stews, casseroles, anything that needs a slow cooking

Airfyer - cooking meat, steaks, frozen things, sweet potato fries

Steaks ? In the Airfryer? Really ?
    How'd I never think of that?

Must try that next time now...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mine arrived today. I'd selected amazon packaging but it came in an instant pot box so amazon gave me a £5 credit.

Hmm.. Didn't know this way to save money. Mine has instant Pot packaging. Could I still try to get credit?
    Caranica wrote: »
    Mine arrived today. I'd selected amazon packaging but it came in an instant pot box so amazon gave me a £5 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hmm.. Didn't know this way to save money. Mine has instant Pot packaging. Could I still try to get credit?

Did you specifically select amazon packaging? I did and it's on my order so had a genuine issue. Mine was delivered to work hence my asking for plain packaging

Ah ok. I didn't know if we could choose different packaging options.
    Well, enjoy the pot :)
    Caranica wrote: »
    Did you specifically select amazon packaging? I did and it's on my order so had a genuine issue. Mine was delivered to work hence my asking for plain packaging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

This is similar to the recipe I use. You can also use UHT milk without boiling first if you like. Don't stress too much about the temperature of the milk after boiling as long as it's not too hot - I've made mine with stone cold milk without any problem.

Basically, I make about 2.5 litres every week and I strain it in the fridge afterwards (muslin bag) to make thick Greek yogurt. Chill it before straining for best results. Use a good starter (eg Fage) and you can then re-use some of your current batch for the next lot.

I use the whey to make bread, pancakes and scones. The OH drinks it too but I can't do that! Honestly, it's the best yogurt you will ever taste and you can add jam, fruit, seeds etc afterwards to your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

RoYoBo wrote: »
    This is similar to the recipe I use. You can also use UHT milk without boiling first if you like. Don't stress too much about the temperature of the milk after boiling as long as it's not too hot - I've made mine with stone cold milk without any problem.

Basically, I make about 2.5 litres every week and I strain it in the fridge afterwards (muslin bag) to make thick Greek yogurt. Chill it before straining for best results. Use a good starter (eg Fage) and you can then re-use some of your current batch for the next lot.

I use the whey to make bread, pancakes and scones. The OH drinks it too but I can't do that! Honestly, it's the best yogurt you will ever taste and you can add jam, fruit, seeds etc afterwards to your taste.

Be good if someone could start a thread in Food & Drink forum to share recipes and tips, like the one set up after a good few people on here bought the Airfryer

My wife googled it somewhere and followed that method.

Ingredients are basically whole milk and a yogurt contauning live culture. Just save some of the yogurt each time and repeat cycle.

naughtb4 wrote: »

3 minute timer on the pot and then 23 minute pressure release. I also wash the rice beforehand in cold water until the water runs clear. That's if you want individual grains, but you may want "sticky" rice depending on the meal.

I usually keep the whey and either ferment fruit/veg in it with a certain % of salt and aromatics depending on the produce.

You can also pop the whey in a saucepan and reduce it to make a whey caramel.

I usually keep the whey and either ferment fruit/veg in it with a certain % of salt and aromatics depending on the produce.

You can also pop the whey in a saucepan and reduce it to make a whey caramel.

Whey caramel sounds interesting. I have also tried making a type of lemonade with it, but it was awful! Probably my fault.
    Well diluted, it can be used for plants in the garden too.

Ben Done wrote: »
    Be good if someone could start a thread in Food & Drink forum to share recipes and tips, like the one set up after a good few people on here bought the Airfryer

I think that's a good idea as we're probably way off topic now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

RoYoBo wrote:

Would this be similar to, better than kefir grains?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

I think that's a good idea as we're probably way off topic now :o

Nah it's grand like - I'm just trying to figure if I really need one - be great to hear what use folks are getting from theirs, or whether it ends up at the back of a cupboard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I am expecting to get it next week.

Your dishes sounds yum. Any chance you get share some recipes or online link please?

sry, a day late :pac:
    more of my regulars

Beef madras, tried a couple of others, this one miles the best assuming I cooked
    the others correctly :p
    https://slowcookingperfected.com/slow-cooker-beef-madras-curry/

https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/slow-cooker-coconut-chicken-curry/ not possible to mess this one up and I always dice up a couple of potatoes very small and you can add as much veg as you like, good for the kids yet I'm
    sure there's plenty more out there as nice saying that

got this off fb, if you like stronganoff you won't ever appreciate this dish from anywhere else...it's that good
    can't link it as it's been years so i've added a pic
    not cooked it in a while as my young un isn't a fan, I usually cook it
    on medium for 2/3 hours (stir fry beef in aldi works well..2hrs for that)

next for me to try....

https://www.thispilgrimlife.com/instant-pot-shepherds-pie-take-two/

plenty of recipes on pinterest and this site which I find pretty good https://slowcookingperfected.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/watch/136026236799958/ any amount
    of dishes posted here also

Advertisement