Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move property from Leasehold to Freehold

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Carnadoe

It's a terraced house in a large estate in Dublin. Folio has F (meaning freehold) on it...but also has the lease burden mentioned on 2nd page. Had a look on Land Direct after I posted, and it appears most of the houses are exactly the same...with the exception of a few that have sold in recent years. They either appear to have had the burden removed...or...there is an application which is "awaiting attention ". I'd be fairly sure the ground rent was bought out. It's an odd one....but feel better now that I know its the same story for all the houses. Makes me think the resolution must be relatively straightforward..

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I bought our house when was leasehold. Dates back to 50s. Leasehold wasnt being collected it was so small. I went about getting it myself. You've to first attempt ro buy it out but if no response as in my case you can look to get the vesting interest by paying nominal fee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That doesn't mean you don't own both the leasehold and the free hold. have you obtained a copy of the Folio and seen who the parties to the lease are?

It was my Mums house. I have the original lease from 1959 when my parents purchased the house. The lease mentions the builder and the original owner of the land and a charge of £10 per yr. I'm fairly confident she did own the lease, but it seems the paperwork was never updated..

Thanks for your reply

You parents took an assignment of the lease in 1959. At some point the freehold was acquired. The law society do not recommend merging the titles until 20 years has passed from the date of acquisition of the freehold. Most liklely you own both titles and the Land Registry simply reflects that there has been no merger. Any sale 20 years after purchase of the freehold will be merged so what you are seeing on landdirect is a mix of merged and non-merged titles.

• Advertisement

So, does the merger happen automatically...or is it something I have look after ?

You don't have to merge. It will only be an issue when you are selling. If you sell before the 20 years you will sell bot titles, after you will do a merger and sell one title.

Thanks a mil. You have been very helpful. We are actually putting the house up for sale soon. Don't suppose you have any idea of the cost of merging the titles ?

How long is it since the freehold was acquireed?

Wouldn't be sure when it was acquired, but I'd say more than 30yrs ago anyway..

• Advertisement
Advertisement