Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir psychodrama

Options
  • 04-06-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for advice on how to handle a situation with Eir. I signed up to the One Big Switch broadband offer on March 31, along with 12 months Amazon Video. There were a few issues with the installation, but nothing unmanageable.

But since then I have found the company so hard to deal with. In order to avail of Amazon, view your bills or change payment details you need to make an account on the Eir website. When I try to do this I get an error.

On the face of it, it seems like a relatively small problem that should be easy to fix. But I'd say I have spent at least four hours on the phone/on hold to Eir over the last 10 weeks. Normally when I call I'm on hold for a long, long time before the line just goes dead. When I do get through to someone they all tell me the same thing - that the issue has been escalated and will be resolved within 3 days. I check in 3 days and its not resolved. I got so annoyed on the last call that the woman promised she would personally call me back within 3 days to confirm it was working. It was not working, and I never heard from her again.

I have also been trying to resolve this on socail media, via messages to Eir's customer care team. It's a different person every time. They ask me for the same info every time. I have provided them with a screenshot of the error, yet they keep asking me for a screenshot. They then won't reply for 10 days, before asking me for the same info I've already provided. A team of children would provide better customer support. I have taken a screenshot of this entire chat, and saved it as a PDF but can't seem to upload it here.

I've made a complaint on Eir's website. Is there anything else I can do to resolve this? Access to Amazon video was one of the main reasons I signed up, so it is frustrating. I have also changed banks and need to update my payment info, but can't

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tusky wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for advice on how to handle a situation with Eir. I signed up to the One Big Switch broadband offer on March 31, along with 12 months Amazon Video. There were a few issues with the installation, but nothing unmanageable.

But since then I have found the company so hard to deal with. In order to avail of Amazon, view your bills or change payment details you need to make an account on the Eir website. When I try to do this I get an error.

On the face of it, it seems like a relatively small problem that should be easy to fix. But I'd say I have spent at least four hours on the phone/on hold to Eir over the last 10 weeks. Normally when I call I'm on hold for a long, long time before the line just goes dead. When I do get through to someone they all tell me the same thing - that the issue has been escalated and will be resolved within 3 days. I check in 3 days and its not resolved. I got so annoyed on the last call that the woman promised she would personally call me back within 3 days to confirm it was working. It was not working, and I never heard from her again.

I have also been trying to resolve this on socail media, via messages to Eir's customer care team. It's a different person every time. They ask me for the same info every time. I have provided them with a screenshot of the error, yet they keep asking me for a screenshot. They then won't reply for 10 days, before asking me for the same info I've already provided. A team of children would provide better customer support. I have taken a screenshot of this entire chat, and saved it as a PDF but can't seem to upload it here.

I've made a complaint on Eir's website. Is there anything else I can do to resolve this? Access to Amazon video was one of the main reasons I signed up, so it is frustrating. I have also changed banks and need to update my payment info, but can't

All help appreciated!

Comreg is the only body eir listen to, they are an unadulterated shambles of an excuse for a customer care team,they consistently lie,leave ppl down,on hold for hour's, overcharge,they are grossly unfair to their customers,and inept,my advice leave

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

Their customer care is appalling. Wrt to logging onto their website this can only be done using chrome from a PC.

Please follow the steps below to access my eir, we also recommend using the google chrome browser as it is the only browser currently with accessing the "My eir" portal.

-Ensure your browser is updated .If using google chrome, go to settings-about chrome- check for updates.
    -Clear browser history including your cache and cookies.
    -If using auto-fill, ensure it has your updated password details.

Hope this works and once logged in you’ll be able to change bank details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

Their customer care is appalling. Wrt to logging onto their website this can only be done using chrome from a PC.

Please follow the steps below to access my eir, we also recommend using the google chrome browser as it is the only browser currently with accessing the "My eir" portal.

-Ensure your browser is updated .If using google chrome, go to settings-about chrome- check for updates.
    -Clear browser history including your cache and cookies.
    -If using auto-fill, ensure it has your updated password details.

Hope this works and once logged in you’ll be able to change bank details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

I'm beginning to feel like Eir is a scam haha.

We switched via onebigswitch a month ago. We still haven't received our tv box and our landline no longer works. Internet connection is worse than our previous provider too, despite the fact our house is only metres away from a fibre hub (according to the Eir engineer that called to the house).

Have spoken to nine different people on the phone and none of them will help me.

Having our bank cancel the direct debit today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

I'm curious to see how people get around this.

I've had similar issues with Vodafone and when I complained on their website, their complaints manager was a rude a-hole. I went on to Comreg, Vodafone then got the ball rolling (still waiting on things to happen). But it sounds like there's a cushy relationship. The feedback I was getting from Comreg was that they value a smooth relationship with the providers a lot more than with an individual consumer. I'm pretty disappointed at that.

• Advertisement

mazzy maz wrote: »
    I'm beginning to feel like Eir is a scam haha.

We switched via onebigswitch a month ago. We still haven't received our tv box and our landline no longer works. Internet connection is worse than our previous provider too, despite the fact our house is only metres away from a fibre hub (according to the Eir engineer that called to the house).

Have spoken to nine different people on the phone and none of them will help me.

Having our bank cancel the direct debit today.

Eir are atrocious bad ref customer care, I'm with VF a few years now totally different animal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

LaAlgerie wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how people get around this.

I've had similar issues with Vodafone and when I complained on their website, their complaints manager was a rude a-hole. I went on to Comreg, Vodafone then got the ball rolling (still waiting on things to happen). But it sounds like there's a cushy relationship. The feedback I was getting from Comreg was that they value a smooth relationship with the providers a lot more than with an individual consumer. I'm pretty disappointed at that.

Steer clear of both Eir and Vodafone, basically.

The support and communications from both companies is attrocious on the enterprise side of things as much as the consumer too, the only difference with the enterprise support is you get through to someone who hits the same brick wall incompetence of their respective backoffice systems on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I had an issue signing up to my eir also - i was initially using my SKy (tv) email address - @sky.com and it would never work - switched to a gmail account and it was fine - from that I easily set up my Amazon Prime a/c - not sure if that is helpful or not in your case OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

The best part will be that after you cancel and settle up final bills with them, they'll probably pass your details on to a debt collection agency for some unknown debt that their broken system auto generated. That's my experience anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

You should checkout @eircare on twitter. Half the country is complaining and Eir are doing nothing for them. If that’s not a warning to stay away from them I don’t know what is.

Thankfully left them years ago but it still took 12 months to stop the bills coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I am simply amazed that Eir have any customers left at all. And I really mean that. They clearly have 0 interest in customer satisfaction.
    I cannot wrap my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

There are companies out there with no customer care. There are companies out there with bad customer care. Both groups are infinitely better at customer care than eir.

There's a lesson here for privatisation of public services. Eir might have all the stats in the world for their shareholders and investors that they have minimised running costs and maximised hardware investment in the network - but they have left customers with a shocking bad service.

I've recently completed a new build and I have to say both esb and Irish water have their acts together. They are expensive but they tell you what they are billing for, they arrive when they tell you (although not with lighting speed). They do the job. You have a service when the leave. Eir I'm 8 months ringing to get connected. Open eir only deal with commercial entities allegedly. Non eir service providers can only deal with you once open eir have you connected. Eir can talk to open eir, but can't seem to tell them what I need. Teles sales people can't patch you through to a manager to complain. It goes on and on... And on. I've gone so far as to source my own roll of eir fibre cable and run it to bottom of their pole. Can't get eir to just plug it into the terminating box... A 30 min job.

Oink wrote: »
    I am simply amazed that Eir have any customers left at all. And I really mean that. They clearly have 0 interest in customer satisfaction.
    I cannot wrap my head around it.

If you are lucky enough to actually get a decent service from day 1 and never needed to actually talk to them, the service is good. Relatively expensive but good. Until the day you cancel of course and bills keep coming of course. Then the threatening letters come, despite your cancellation and returning their equipment months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

Update:

I emailed Eir's CEO directly and made a freedom of information request looking for details of all notes/logs kept on my phone call interactions. Their "escalations executive" has since emailed me back and promised to phone me.

Six weeks into our contract, we still have no tv and no phone. They've now cut off our broadband without warning, presumably because we haven't paid the bill. Thing is that because the myeir site doesn't work, I can neither view nor pay my bill haha.

Anyway, the 14 day cooling off period only applies from the date that all contracted services are installed so I'm going to avail of that and try another provider.

Eir CEO email: carolan.lennon [at] eir.ie

Here's some text you can use for FOI request if anyone fancies putting the wind up them:

To whom it concerns,

I wish to make an access request under Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form in relation to any conversation I have had with members of the Eir customer care and technical support teams between the [25th of May 2020 and the 26th of June 2020.]

Please include details of all notes entered into your system by anyone and everyone at Eir that I have spoken with during that time.

My account number is: xxxxxxxx

Update:

I emailed Eir's CEO directly and made a freedom of information request looking for details of all notes/logs kept on my phone call interactions. Their "escalations executive" has since emailed me back and promised to phone me.

Six weeks into our contract, we still have no tv and no phone. They've now cut off our broadband without warning, presumably because we haven't paid the bill. Thing is that because the myeir site doesn't work, I can neither view nor pay my bill haha.

Anyway, the 14 day cooling off period only applies from the date that all contracted services are installed so I'm going to avail of that and try another provider.

Here's some text you can use for FOI request if anyone fancies putting the wind up them:

To whom it concerns,

I wish to make an access request under Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form in relation to any conversation I have had with members of the Eir customer care and technical support teams between the [25th of May 2020 and the 26th of June 2020.]

Please include details of all notes entered into your system by anyone and everyone at Eir that I have spoken with during that time.

They are the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Update:

To whom it concerns,

Tried it before, they didn't respond. They have a po box in Kerry somewhere for this, whch is likely to be a trash can. I was going to follow up on it but then I seen that they have been in court a few times over data protection.

But I plan to celebrate their demise when it happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

You are better off writing a complaint email to eir. Structure the email with the following:

1. Issue you are having
    2. how many times you have called/contacted on social media with rough dates of contact and promises made by eir staff
    3. Make demand for immediate resolution and closure of your issue.
    4. Request comregs intervention and to act on your behalf.

Send this mail to ccm@eir.ie this is their complaints team email address.
    Also in the "to" section of email send to comreg (dont have their email at hand but easy to find) It is important that comreg is in the "to" section and not "cc'd"

They now have 10 days to resolve this issue satisfactorily or face penalties from comreg. However extenuating circumstances may allow extension of this 10 day period.

I have to say when I escalated through comreg, there was no mention they got fined, even though issue was not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Update:

To whom it concerns,

Might be worth sending a copy to dataaccessrequest@eir.ie as that's the address given in their privacy policy
    Might stop them using the excuse it didn't reach the right team.

Advertisement