Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in History

• 10-04-2020 7:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is not, directly, about Sabaton.
    I'm listening to a audio-book, Music as a Mirror of History, which links works to their historical context events. The author, Robert Greenberg, is perhaps a better musician than historian ( being a fan of Elizabeth I ), but so far the musicial pieces are excellent.

The first chapter is the interconnecting lives of George Handel and Geogre I of Hanover and the myth of how Handel wrote the Water Music to regain the king's good graces.

The second is on Mozart and the influence that the Ottoman Empire had on European culture, specially the Holy Roman Empire

The third chapter is the relgious background of Joesph Hayden "Mass in time of War" and the impact of the French revolution

Overall the book is an interesting listen that incorpates text and music to show the historical roots of these works. The only downside is no 1812 overture as this was written 60 years + after the events.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm listening to his course 'How to Listen to an understand great music' on audible right now. Sounds similar. So far it's really good. He has a rye sense of humour. I see coursera also have a classical music course.

Advertisement