Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Agreed, we also offered 50k under asking for a house in D15 recently. A family member came with us who is somewhat savvy with building, having turned over a few houses. He estimated ~ 70k worth of work to bring the house up to scratch (The plumbing was visibly all over the place, electrics were not the best, old boiler out the back which looked like an explosion waiting to happen, house had been idle for ~ 1.5 years).

The EA pretty much laughed in our face when we offered 50k under asking - that was sometime back in early Sept I believe, no movement or other offers on the house yet (as far as we know).

Its very frustrating - to the point where we've now decided to likely shift gear and start looking at new build stock. Set price, no back and forth with unrealistic asking prices etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've been keeping an eye on the housing market in Dublin more out of curiosity than anything else and to see if Brexit or other factors have an impact in the coming years.

The current cost of second hand units in the area were I live are off in a fantasy land. Either the sellers or the EAs advising them are clueless or deluded. This is not in Dublin city, but a commuter belt town which has 2 x new developments in progress and potentially two more happening in the next 12 months judging by the planning passed for the area.

An example being of one house in the area that is a fair bit smaller than our current new build, in need of a good bit of work, new updated kitchen, insulation and heating upgrade etc and is listed at over €120k more than what we paid 12 months ago.

It's one of a number which are appearing on the market in the area and all appear seriously over priced. I know asking and actual selling price are two very different things but surely they know people do research and can see previous selling prices in the areas from the property price register.

I can understand why people are now preferring new builds, no bidding wars, price is fixed and everything is new with little or no maintenance required for the first few years.

Can anyone explain this type of behaviour for second hand houses as I'm completely confused tbh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-roseneath-villas-military-road-st-lukes-cork-city-cork/4326164

This place has been for sale for longest time, recently dropped 50k in listed price from 310k down to 260k, it has now peaked my interest a little.

Wondering if any Cork folk have experience of this house or the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 D.Wilmott

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye on the housing market in Dublin more out of curiosity than anything else and to see if Brexit or other factors have an impact in the coming years.

The current cost of second hand units in the area were I live are off in a fantasy land. Either the sellers or the EAs advising them are clueless or deluded. This is not in Dublin city, but a commuter belt town which has 2 x new developments in progress and potentially two more happening in the next 12 months judging by the planning passed for the area.

An example being of one house in the area that is a fair bit smaller than our current new build, in need of a good bit of work, new updated kitchen, insulation and heating upgrade etc and is listed at over €120k more than what we paid 12 months ago.

It's one of a number which are appearing on the market in the area and all appear seriously over priced. I know asking and actual selling price are two very different things but surely they know people do research and can see previous selling prices in the areas from the property price register.

I can understand why people are now preferring new builds, no bidding wars, price is fixed and everything is new with little or no maintenance required for the first few years.

Can anyone explain this type of behaviour for second hand houses as I'm completely confused tbh?

The minimum 10% social housing element would personally have me favoring 2nd hand house in more settled estates any day. That 10% is usually even higher, we bought 5 years ago and viewed showhouses in a new development in D15. Turns out an entire block of houses/apartments was being allocated as social housing adjacent to the private ones. By my calculations this was 25% of that particular phase of development. This is something that is being kept very quiet and conveniently never mentioned by the developers or EAs, as they don't want the folks handing them 400k for a house knowing large numbers of people are getting the same house next door essentially free. Call me snobby or whatever but we based our decision to avoid on the (repeated) history of how antisocial behaviour starts and grows in social housing estates.

Another reason may be, houses that are 20+ years old will have any building faults or fire dangers exposed by then. If they can get away with building defective primary schools (as recently as 2017), it's not a far stretch to believe there could be serious unexposed engineering faults or fire hazards in new home/apartment builds being completed now.

Anyway that's my 2c, in summary people don't just consider insulation and new kitchens when choosing whether to buy a new build or 2nd hand home. I still believe location is the #1 factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

With second hand homes, in particular those needing some work, the asking prices can vary substantially. Some sellers see that a house a few roads over went for X amount and read about average selling prices in their area which creates somewhat of an expectation. However, if there is work needed on their house, at the moment it is absolutely turning off first time buyers. Anything over €500k is practically unaffordable for first time buyers due to the lending restrictions so if work is required then they may as well forget about looking to sell to first time buyers.

However, it would appear that it can only get worse for second hand homes over €500k. Any new builds on the market will be targeted at the first time buyer market and likely be snapped up straight away. This seems to be what will happen over the next five years as the trickle of completions starts to flow and there is strong political pressure to put a big push on getting more homes built. The pool of first time buyers of second hand homes will become smaller and those looking to upgrade or downgrade may struggle to sell. In addition, with an aging population, those looking to cash in for retirement will start introducing their homes to the market which will push down prices further. If the rental market becomes better, people may be happier to rent rather than take on a mortgage debt as well.

In summary, the second hand home market will probably continue to see an average price decline. However, it is a very broad market and some homes will go for a lot less than the area average while others will probably hold strong with their selling price versus the average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most builders went bankrupt between 2008 and 2010 ,or stop working in ireland,imagine building houses, in athlone priced at 200k,
    overnight they were only worth 130k.When the crash happened .Nama was set up to manage property and house,s ,building,s ,etc
    which the banks now owned .ghost estates were left empty which had to
    be managed and finished ,after the builders went out of business .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

This is precisely why prices are falling.
    We are building roughly 22k units per annum.
    Of this just over 10k units are hitting the open market- the other 12k are being sold to institutional investors of one type or another.
    The other 54,000 odd units being sold in the market are the secondhand units.
    People are increasingly not investing in improvements in secondhand properties- as the investment is not reflected in a commensurate increase in asking price.

So- the market is being dragged down- by secondhand units- because no-one is happy to make the investment to bring the units that are hitting the market up to modern specs.

The fall in prices could be arrested if some changes were made to, for example, the rules governing the grant for first time buyers allowing them avail of the government largess on secondhand units.

Everyone wants the new units- while there is a dearth of people chasing the secondhand units- which are being sold in increasingly shabby and dilapidated states.

Can I ask where you got that figure of 12k of new units being sold to institutional investors?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dereks

One of the main reasons 2nd hand house prices are so unrealistic is that anyone looking to sell needs to have a 20% deposit to purchase anything else.

Unless they have a huge chunk of savings they need the equity from the house sale.

The Central Bank rules for the most part are a good idea but 2nd hand house owners generally don’t have 80-100k lying around so will need to get that money from someone if they want to buy.

It is what it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got that figure of 12k of new units being sold to institutional investors?

Read it over the break online- think it was the dreaded Indo- I'll see if I can find a link for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

D.Wilmott wrote: »
    The minimum 10% social housing element would personally have me favoring 2nd hand house in more settled estates any day. That 10% is usually even higher, we bought 5 years ago and viewed showhouses in a new development in D15. Turns out an entire block of houses/apartments was being allocated as social housing adjacent to the private ones. By my calculations this was 25% of that particular phase of development. This is something that is being kept very quiet and conveniently never mentioned by the developers or EAs, as they don't want the folks handing them 400k for a house knowing large numbers of people are getting the same house next door essentially free. Call me snobby or whatever but we based our decision to avoid on the (repeated) history of how antisocial behaviour starts and grows in social housing estates.

Another reason may be, houses that are 20+ years old will have any building faults or fire dangers exposed by then. If they can get away with building defective primary schools (as recently as 2017), it's not a far stretch to believe there could be serious unexposed engineering faults or fire hazards in new home/apartment builds being completed now.

Anyway that's my 2c, in summary people don't just consider insulation and new kitchens when choosing whether to buy a new build or 2nd hand home. I still believe location is the #1 factor.

This was the reason why I didn’t look at new builds to begin along with gardens. It’s different in Cork as new build estates don’t seem to have planning for apartments (well the ones I’ve looked at) and are smaller in nature. I must say the two we look at first question I asked what which houses were social housing which they had no issue with disclosing. And also one or two second hand house estate we looked at - we were very surprised how many have been sold to the Council. One house we were bidding on we were bidding against the Council! So I would say you have to be wary in both regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

ittakestwo wrote: »

I have heard from someone I know in property that investors, including themselves are no longer buying, but are selling.

If investors are moving away it will have a big impact you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Prices are falling all across Dublin now which is great news.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Prices are falling all across Dublin now which is great news.

For who:D. Surely thats relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-roseneath-villas-military-road-st-lukes-cork-city-cork/4326164

This place has been for sale for longest time, recently dropped 50k in listed price from 310k down to 260k, it has now peaked my interest a little.

At a very wild guess, it needs works but you'll be hamstrung in that you need planning for absolutely everything, including wallpaper, rooms, floors, doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

I think the posters who say there's a variety of markets are correct.

A 2 bed bungalow near the red cow Luas stop in Clondalkin was listed at 239k , sold for 276k.

Houses nearby are also beating their asking prices sometimes considerably.

However the early 90s 3 bed semi d's in Dublin 16 asking near 600k are not selling. Mortgage rules mean people can't go mad anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

We are building roughly 22k units per annum.
    Of this just over 10k units are hitting the open market- the other 12k are being sold to institutional investors of one type or another.
    The other 54,000 odd units being sold in the market are the secondhand units.

I was surprised with the numbers, and couldn't find this information myself. But looking at PPR seems like it may be the right figures. I have aggregated data, on number of transactions (separated in New property and Second hand) from PPR. There is no yet full data on PPR for December, and Dwelling completion for 2019 Q4. But based on the Trends, New Dwelling transaction count should be almost identical to last year, at around 11K.

+
    +
    +
    +
    +
    | Year | New_cnt | Old_cnt | Completion |
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +
    | 2010 | 5,308 | 15,666 | |
    | 2011 | 2,950 | 15,463 | 6,994 |
    | 2012 | 3,170 | 22,167 | 4,911 |
    | 2013 | 3,752 | 26,292 | 4,575 |
    | 2014 | 5,412 | 38,183 | 5,518 |
    | 2015 | 6,237 | 42,849 | 7,219 |
    | 2016 | 6,834 | 42,937 | 9,892 |
    | 2017 | 9,340 | 45,517 | 14,368 |
    | 2018 | 11,044 | 46,156 | 17,995 |
    | 2019 | 10,335 | 44,625 | 21,237* |
    +
    +
    +
    +
    +

* - estimated 2019 completion based on the trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I think this article is slightly exaggerated but sure for anyone interested see below and as mentioned above the market is built of lots of smaller markets while most prices are leveling off some places are still going above asking
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/house-prices-are-flatlining-across-republic-myhome-ie-report-says-1.4128319?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

However the early 90s 3 bed semi d's in Dublin 16 asking near 600k are not selling. Mortgage rules mean people can't go mad anymore.

3 bed semi d's asking 600k down the road in D14 are selling though, those in OK nick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Prices of houses have been dropping alot more without people realising or the statistics properly showing.

This is due to a higher proportion of new houses on the market.

Take Naas for example, where there has been alot of new housing developments.

A 4 bed second house costs 300k on average. So when there were no houses being built, the average was 300k. Now for every brand new house that costs 350k, it drives up the average price of a 4 bed house. Even though the second hand house value hasnt gone up. Its just there is a bigger proportion of new houses. They are more expensive as better insulated and will have alot less maintenance.

So people in ireland were rejoicing that property prices were going up and their house was going up in value. their house wasnt. it was staying at 300k or even dropping. Just a higher proportion of new houses driving up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Good houses are still making their asking.

I totally agree though, having looked recently, there is a lot of serious "projects" on the market with high asking prices.

I viewed on in Dundrum that was subsequently reduced by €100k. When I went to see it in person, I could see why, it seriously needed a wrecking ball. Sure, it was a bungalow that had been given a dormer extension but it was so badly done (super narrow/steap stairs, awkward rooms etc) that I couldnt see how you'd fix it without spending a bomb. Its no longer on line and I wonder now if its been sold or withdrawn. The photos made it appear like it just needed redecorating and new kitchen/bathroom, but when I saw it the dimensions of the rooms and the quality of the previous extension were fundamentally flawed. You'd have had to have been mad to buy it at their initial asking price. It was an executor sale, so I don't know if there was greed on behalf of the family or just bad advice from the selling agent.

In contrast, a house on my parents road sold in H2 2019 for full asking. 1920s 3 bed red brick terrace, asking €875k but in very nice condition. The previous owners had done some work (sold due to marriage breakdown) and had obviously done it to a standard that they'd intended to live in themselves for years. Checked the PPR over christmas and it made full asking.

I think it just costs so much to get work done these days - the standards are so high, and builders charge a bomb. Properties with good fundamental characteristics, that have been maintained in an ongoing way by their previous owners etc will still sell quite easily. Delapidated wrecks however will need to be very competitively priced and will probably only appeal to those trading up who have equity, unless the govt were to offer more renovation incentives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

SozBbz wrote: »

I think it just costs so much to get work done these days - the standards are so high, and builders charge a bomb. Properties with good fundamental characteristics, that have been maintained in an ongoing way by their previous owners etc will still sell quite easily. Delapidated wrecks however will need to be very competitively priced and will probably only appeal to those trading up who have equity, unless the govt were to offer more renovation incentives.

I think that’s very accurate. Turn key second houses or those that have been maintained will meet or exceed asking and will have people bidding on them. Those type of houses usually have sellers selling to buy another house. But with restrictions of 20% or equity in property and the lack of a suitable home to buy, they aren’t putting them up for sale. I think Brexit scared people a bit to “see how things go”..

My sister is in a smallish three bed end of terrace house. It’s already been extended as was a two bed but has a massive garden. Bought it when they first married but with three kids it’s now to small for them. They would love to sell and move. Bought it at height of boom so although it’s not in negative equity, they isn’t the equity in the house to cover the 20% deposit. But I say there are a lot of people in that position stuck in the homes they bought it the boom that could be more Suitable for others.

What I’ve seen in Cork last few months was those type of houses weren’t coming on the market. It was a lot of probate and ex rentals in need of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

SozBbz wrote: »
    Yep - hard to get builders. Hard to get builders you trust. Hard to get tradespeople.

Plus, younger people in general are less DIY-competent these days, and are less confident about taking on a job themselves. They also have less time available in general. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Added to all that, mortgage rates are very low and quite affordable. Why take on the headache of a fixer upper, when you can just add 20 grand to your budget and go for a better maintained property?

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hmmm wrote: »
    Yep - hard to get builders. Hard to get builders you trust. Hard to get tradespeople.

Plus, younger people in general are less DIY-competent these days, and are less confident about taking on a job themselves. They also have less time available in general. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Added to all that, mortgage rates are very low and quite affordable. Why take on the headache of a fixer upper, when you can just add 20 grand to your budget and go for a better maintained property?
    I think this is it.

The stress of having to fix up a house means it would need to be considered a real bargain for someone to take it on. I think it's really driven by two things:

1. Builders are so busy these days that you'll be paying good money for any work, if you can even get one.
    2. The state of the current rental market means nobody is willing to risk buying a house that they can't really live in while it's being renovated. It's not like finding alternative, temporary housing is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The picture of the exterior has been photoshopped to death, fake green grass and fake brick work to cover up for something bad, and that's just the outside.
    Pictures like that don't sell a house at all. I wouldn't even bother viewing a property whose owner/selling agency went to such extent in faking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The stats are out, if this is the beginning of a declining trend we are still at the top of the curve

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/b52f2a466477d05576bc/?s=urban

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If house,s are not selling in general ,they are over priced ,
    or people may be waiting a year to see what happens ,how badly will brexit effect the irish economy.
    will it cause a steep decline in house,s prices.
    it costs nothing to view a house .
    do,nt just go by photo,s .
    we have a shortage of builder,s in ireland.
    many builders left after 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The picture of the exterior has been photoshopped to death, fake green grass and fake brick work to cover up for something bad, and that's just the outside.
    Pictures like that don't sell a house at all. I wouldn't even bother viewing a property whose owner/selling agency went to such extent in faking.

Cheers yeah, madness what they did with the grass alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I bought my home in 2013. If I’d bought it purely as an investment I’d sell in 2020. Not because of Brexit, supply concerns or even global warming. I’d sell because anyone who bought in 2012, 2013 and 2014 received an exemption for Capital Gains if the property was held for 7 years.

In a flat, or even a slowly rising market, I’d be losing money as the extra ordinary tax free gains start attracting Capital Gains.

Prices of houses have been dropping alot more without people realising or the statistics properly showing.

Take Naas for example, where there has been alot of new housing developments.

A 4 bed second house costs 300k on average. So when there were no houses being built, the average was 300k. Now for every brand new house that costs 350k, it drives up the average price of a 4 bed house. Even though the second hand house value hasnt gone up. Its just there is a bigger proportion of new houses. They are more expensive as better insulated and will have alot less maintenance.

So people in ireland were rejoicing that property prices were going up and their house was going up in value. their house wasnt. it was staying at 300k or even dropping. Just a higher proportion of new houses driving up the price.

Interesting take that I haven't heard before. Thanks.

Is there any data to back this up though?,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As a proportion of sales- new homes have a smaller slice of the pie since anytime in the last decade. They comprise less than 20% of all sales- and as a percentage this proportion is falling. Your hypothesis does not hold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement