Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Principal Officer competition 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

I guess a free hit will be September retirements if anyone is hanging on to get the benefit of the pay increase. I think notice has to be given this month. Not sure how attractive retiring in a pandemic is. But maybe if you intend to take on a course or something. Still if anyone hears any inklings.....

all sounds positive- if retiring POs gave their notice this month, would that create vacancies that are notified to PAS now, or after September when the current incumbents finish up.. Conscious also that probably only a proportion will come to open. I understand the agreement between DPER and the unions was “the sequence for PO promotions will be 2 from the open competition followed by 1 internal followed by 2 from the open panel”- is this still applicable, is it followed or ignored in practice

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Grey AP

It's up to each dept to determine how it fulfills its staffing requirements, within budget. There could be a number of reasons for filling a PO post asap or for holding off for a while, so some vacancies will be notified to PAS very quickly and others may not be, depending on the dept's needs. There will likely be more vacancies in the next few months than there would have been without C19, but there probably won't be an immediate rush of them for PAS.

The appointments ratio is still the same - two appointments from the open panel for each internal appointment, with the wrinkle being that a dept can continue to make appointments from an internal panel, for example for specific expertise or operational needs, and owe places to the open panel, but at some stage it will have to accept open appointments to balance the books. My own dept has exhausted its internal panel, so will have to fill from the open panel until it runs another internal competition.

If that all seems a little gloomy, matching the weather, our panel is moving on steadily at the moment, so the next lot of placements should go ahead ok. Probably the main effect of Covid-based retirement decisions will be that the panel finishes earlier than it would have otherwise and well within the two years. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Asimov2004

Was in touch with PAS today and offers are now up to mid 20s, I'm in the mid 30s so hopefully this pace will keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Grey AP wrote: »
    And in very slowly breaking news - un petit oiseau has whispered that there may be another round of interviews in the autumn. If true, that would mean that they expect the panel to be done by then and that the panel is quite small, probably no more than seventy. I haven't heard of anyone beyond the sixties, but if anyone is higher than that, then it would be good to know. Also, it would tie in with AHCPS retirement stats, which would indicate about 70 placed this year.

(And just so no one is startled, this is a two year panel, so there wouldn't be new interviews until it is exhausted or the two years are up, whichever comes first - this would just show that PAS expects this panel to be finished this year.)

It’s probably wishful thinking to hope that this might happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

ShellyMCD wrote: »
    Grey AP wrote: »
    And in very slowly breaking news - un petit oiseau has whispered that there may be another round of interviews in the autumn. If true, that would mean that they expect the panel to be done by then and that the panel is quite small, probably no more than seventy. I haven't heard of anyone beyond the sixties, but if anyone is higher than that, then it would be good to know. Also, it would tie in with AHCPS retirement stats, which would indicate about 70 placed this year.

(And just so no one is startled, this is a two year panel, so there wouldn't be new interviews until it is exhausted or the two years are up, whichever comes first - this would just show that PAS expects this panel to be finished this year.)

It’s probably wishful thinking to hope that this might happen?

Personally I would put this in the wishful thinking category. I think there is greater likelihood of a PO1 competition in the Autumn to fill vacancies in DPER, Finance and Taoiseach's.

70 retirements in a year at PO level might mean that around 30-40 replacements might be sought from an open PO panel when you factor in PO1 posts, technical posts and internal promotions. That AHCPS figure probably includes Revenue also who do their own recruitment.

I could see this panel lasting until early 2021 and another competition announced around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Thanks. That makes sense alright.

hardybuck wrote: »

Personally I would put this in the wishful thinking category. I think there is greater likelihood of a PO1 competition in the Autumn to fill vacancies in DPER, Finance and Taoiseach's.

70 retirements in a year at PO level might mean that around 30-40 replacements might be sought from an open PO panel when you factor in PO1 posts, technical posts and internal promotions. That AHCPS figure probably includes Revenue also who do their own recruitment.

I could see this panel lasting until early 2021 and another competition announced around then.

Are all POs in those departments on the PO1/Higher grade- if I remember the documentation right, most of this panel (top 60) would be eligible to apply for the PO panel (along with incumbent PO1s) though the chance of success is probably slim

Are all POs in those departments on the PO1/Higher grade- if I remember the documentation right, most of this panel (top 60) would be eligible to apply for the PO panel (along with incumbent PO1s) though the chance of success is probably slim

Yes all APs and POs are AP Higher and PO Higher.

However I understand that one of those Depts. pulled in a handful of standard APs off the open panel in the recent past. When the next internal AP came up some of them got promoted to AP1 and some didn't. I think those who didn't make the cut might have received an allowance to make up the gap but I couldn't stand over that.

However the last PO1 was used by those Departments to bring in outside candidates.

Agreed - although that was from "a good source", it now looks unlikely and the panel should run into 2021.

Whether PAS decide to have a new comp or interview another batch from this one is up in the air, though. They haven't done a second round in recent years, but then they had much bigger initial panels in 2015 and 2017 - for 2015, it was 170 or so and the two years expired long before the panel did. I guess it would depend on how many vacancies there are, how many other competitions they have to run and whether they have the resources to start from scratch (I remember, in the glory days of the early 2000s, they had two or three panels off one AP competition). As ever, speculation is fun but we won't know till we get there.

Yes all APs and POs are AP Higher and PO Higher.

However I understand that one of those Depts. pulled in a handful of standard APs off the open panel in the recent past. When the next internal AP came up some of them got promoted to AP1 and some didn't. I think those who didn't make the cut might have received an allowance to make up the gap but I couldn't stand over that.

However the last PO1 was used by those Departments to bring in outside candidates.

I hadn't heard that about one of DPER/Taoiseach/Finance taking from the standard AP panel, very strange considering there is an active AP1 panel in place.

• Advertisement

You find it strange because there's an AP1 panel in place at the moment?

You find it strange because there's an AP1 panel in place at the moment?
    Yeah, there was an AP1 competition for DPER, D/Finance and D/Taoiseach last year and the panel hasn't expired. Given that those Departments normally only take AP1s I'm surprised they took regular APs when there was a panel of AP1s to call from.

Asimov2004 wrote: »
    Yeah, there was an AP1 competition for DPER, D/Finance and D/Taoiseach last year and the panel hasn't expired. Given that those Departments normally only take AP1s I'm surprised they took regular APs when there was a panel of AP1s to call from.

Perhaps you've assumed that I was referring to last year.

Do you know if that was the first ever open AP1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Molly Keane

Perhaps you've assumed that I was referring to last year.

Do you know if that was the first ever open AP1?

Hi on the panel but new to public service. Can someone explain the situation with AP and AP1 and PO and PO1? I’m confused about some of the conversation here...if people are on this PO panel does it mean only eligible for some departments or level of jobs? Thanks!

Hi on the panel but new to public service. Can someone explain the situation with AP and AP1 and PO and PO1? I’m confused about some of the conversation here...if people are on this PO panel does it mean only eligible for some departments or level of jobs? Thanks!

Hi Molly
    Not a civil servant either but it's a different scale. Listed as Ap higher and PO higher im the salary scales.
    The roles can only usually work in Taoiseachs, finance or DPER.

For Po higher its recruited through a separate competition. Our PO documentation suggested the first 60 people on this panel would be eligible along obviously with serving non higher POs who you'd imagine will get most places.

Think it's likely the same with APs.

I do know as well that sometimes other departments promote POs to PO higher scale based on service /seniority
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Molly Keane

Hi Molly
    Not a civil servant either but it's a different scale. Listed as Ap higher and PO higher im the salary scales.
    The roles can only usually work in Taoiseachs, finance or DPER.

For Po higher its recruited through a separate competition. Our PO documentation suggested the first 60 people on this panel would be eligible along obviously with serving non higher POs who you'd imagine will get most places.

Think it's likely the same with APs.

I do know as well that sometimes other departments promote POs to PO higher scale based on service /seniority
    Hope that helps

Yes thanks I hadn’t spotted that in the documentation - does eligible mean to enter a new competition or simply automatically eligible through place on panel?

Eligible to apply when the new competition is launched I believe

@Hardybuck, it was an interdepartmental competition run over the summer last year. I applied and ranked in the early teens and haven't been offered anything yet, I think they have only placed about 10 so far.

@Molly Keane, to add to previous comments, each Department/Office/Agency has a number of higher scale positions they can award each year. The number that can be awarded varies depending on the number of higher scales already in place, number of retirements from those positions etc. My understanding is that DPER, D/Finance and D/Taoiseach only take AP1s & PO1s while other Departments would have a mixture of standard scale and higher scale at those grades. Also just to say that it's a different pay scale only, the work etc remains the same regardless of whether you are on the standard or higher scale.

Eligible to apply when the new competition is launched I believe

Dug out the documentation there:

Principal Officer Higher Competition
    It is anticipated that a separate competition to fill vacancies in the Departments of An Taoiseach,
    Finance & Public Expenditure and Reform at Principal Officer Higher level may be held in the
    coming months. Eligibility for this PO higher competition is limited to existing civil servants at the
    grade of Principal Officer and equivalent, and to the top ranked 60 candidates from the first batch
    of the final stage in this Open Principal Officer competition.
    Any existing civil servant at a grade below Principal Officer or equivalent who wishes to be eligible
    for the Principal Officer Higher competition should therefore ensure that they apply and compete
    at this Open Principal Officer competition. In the event that a competition for PO Higher is
    advertised, a circular will issue from the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform in this
    regard.

@Hardybuck, it was an interdepartmental competition run over the summer last year. I applied and ranked in the early teens and haven't been offered anything yet, I think they have only placed about 10 so far.

@Molly Keane, to add to previous comments, each Department/Office/Agency has a number of higher scale positions they can award each year. The number that can be awarded varies depending on the number of higher scales already in place, number of retirements from those positions etc. My understanding is that DPER, D/Finance and D/Taoiseach only take AP1s & PO1s while other Departments would have a mixture of standard scale and higher scale at those grades. Also just to say that it's a different pay scale only, the work etc remains the same regardless of whether you are on the standard or higher scale.

Best of luck with your future promotion to AP1. You might be able to give a qualified view on the last sentence then!

• Advertisement

Best of luck with your future promotion to AP1. You might be able to give a qualified view on the last sentence then!

Your comment is a bit out of line, I'm speaking from personal experience on my promotion to AP1 from an internal competition, I remained in the same post I had been in prior to appointment to AP1. This is true for all AP1 assignments in my Department. If that is not true from your own experience or within your Department you could have simply said so. There is no need to call in to question other people's qualifications to speak to a subject, particularly when my opinion/experience was shared in an attempt to assist others in understanding the processes a bit better. In future I'll ask that if your comments on my post can't be civil then don't bother commenting as this last remark was neither helpful nor warranted.

Your comment is a bit out of line, I'm speaking from personal experience on my promotion to AP1 from an internal competition, I remained in the same post I had been in prior to appointment to AP1. This is true for all AP1 assignments in my Department. If that is not true from your own experience or within your Department you could have simply said so. There is no need to call in to question other people's qualifications to speak to a subject, particularly when my opinion/experience was shared in an attempt to assist others in understanding the processes a bit better. In future I'll ask that if your comments on my post can't be civil then don't bother commenting as this last remark was neither helpful nor warranted.

My apologies, you hadn't mentioned that you'd been promoted to the same job you were doing before. I can see how the work would remain the same in that scenario.

You previously mentioned that you were on a panel but hadn't been assigned yet. When congratulating you I was noting that you might notice a step up when you're assigned to an AP1 role in one of the central apartments. You might not, but you'd probably be able to offer a qualified opinion after you do - or maybe you'll get the PO first.

Best of luck again with the future promotion/new assignment.

My apologies, you hadn't mentioned that you'd been promoted to the same job you were doing before. I can see how the work would remain the same in that scenario.

You previously mentioned that you were on a panel but hadn't been assigned yet. When congratulating you I was noting that you might notice a step up when you're assigned to an AP1 role in one of the central apartments. You might not, but you'd probably be able to offer a qualified opinion after you do - or maybe you'll get the PO first.

Best of luck again with the future promotion/new assignment.

I'm hoping that the PO will come up first (obviously lol) otherwise will have to weigh up whether it is worth moving to another Department if I'm offered the AP1 Interdepartmental role for what would probably be only a very brief period of time as there are only 10 or so ahead of me on the PO panel. I guess I'm fortunate to have these decisions to make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I'm hoping that the PO will come up first (obviously lol) otherwise will have to weigh up whether it is worth moving to another Department if I'm offered the AP1 Interdepartmental role for what would probably be only a very brief period of time as there are only 10 or so ahead of me on the PO panel. I guess I'm fortunate to have these decisions to make :)

Another option may be to take the InterD AP1 (bird in the hand, etc.) and if you like the new dept, ask PAS to prioritise that dept for the PO allocation. I'm sure they'll be amenable to at least trying. Also, presuming the AP1 move will be to a "central" dept, those ones tend to have a bit more pull in retaining/securing the people that they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maestro123

Hi all, thanks for the very helpful info to date. I'm a current AP and also placed on the PO panel, and at the current rate hopefully will be reached in the Autumn at some point.

I was wondering whether anyone knows if many posts outside Dublin have come up/been offered as yet? Or if there is any info available on numbers of PO positions located within each county/zone? If you recall we were asked to indicate preference for up to 2 counties outside Dublin. The mobility map via DPER website only lists organisations but not which of those have PO positions available.

Many thanks

Every day's a school day and you're never to old to learn something new. I didn't actually know there were interdepartmental AP1 or PO1 competitions (must read all those HR emails one day). I assume they are solely for recruitment to the central departments (Taoiseach's, DPER and Finance).

In the olden days, the central departments' APs and POs were all at higher level, unlike the paysans in the line departments. In the 1980s, Bertie Ahern reached a deal with unions where the line departments would be funded to have part of their budget set aside to place a portion of each grade on this higher scale. According to union veterans I have spoken to, this was effectively a long service reward for civil servants who were unlikely to be promoted further and, as these are not promotions (you are still in the same grade, just paid a bit more), were intended to be based solely on seniority. Nowadays, most, if not all, depts use a mixture of seniority and merit, usually 50/50. The percentage of each grade on the higher scale is at each dept's discretion, but seems to vary from about a fifth to about a third. My dept does this annually, to take account of transfers/promotions/retirements, and I got AP1 through this process. It's not a huge amount of cash, but better going to my moneylender than theirs.

And in cheering news, if we are currently at 23 (PAS wouldn't say what number the panel is at, but how many are "approximately" ahead of me) and, if my failing memory is correct, the first appointment was in mid-February, then the panel is moving at 4.6 a month. If you are in the next ten or so, it would be worthwhile asking PAS what is needed for clearance (eg civil servants don't need Garda vetting but everyone else does) and get started on it. You can't start in post until clearance is completed, so the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can climb into that big state car the Sunday Indo is always telling us about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 celticfan1

Hi Folks

I am an infrequent user of Boards but I must say that the posters to this particular thread are extremely helpful to a non CS.

Can I ask has anyone confirmed with PAS the number that offers have been made from this panel - what number is it at ??
    And is it the case that some on the panel may have been asked and have opted not to take the offer.

Many thanks

Hi celtic fan. I believe the number Grey Ap quoted (23) represents the number of people from the panel who have been approached by PAS in relation to PO vacancies to date from this panel. I don't know of any way to determine how many of these might have refused the offered assignment. Can't imagine it's many though unless people have been otherwise assigned via other internal or inter departmentmental panels

• Advertisement

Hi celtic fan. I believe the number Grey Ap quoted (23) represents the number of people from the panel who have been approached by PAS in relation to PO vacancies to date from this panel. I don't know of any way to determine how many of these might have refused the offered assignment. Can't imagine it's many though unless people have been otherwise assigned via other internal or inter departmentmental panels

Inevitably a certain number won't take up posts. Maybe they'll have been promoted already, maybe they're holding out for a position in another geographical location. Shouldn't be too many, but I think geography was an issue a couple of years back when loads of regional candidates seemed to be holding on for regional posts and turning down Dublin.

Advertisement