Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

May be a silly question, with 48 using Three network, I wonder if a handset tied to Three will work with 48 sim plan?

No, they have different MNC values

48 MNC is 11
    Three MNC is 05

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tamsta

I'm not able to receive international SMS (including those sent from UK), 48 have no clue why… So if anyone is getting no reply to SMS sent to friends abroad don't start to think bad about them (as happened here) — this might be just a virtual mobile provider's fault :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah,I gathered. I naively assumed a bit of good faith in that I would be charged from the changeover date.

Good faith? Gomo is the Ryanair of mobile phones. Play by the rules and you will do well, if you want extra, get your wallet out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Intern.

I signed up for this as I thought it was strictly PAYG

I'm a bit confused now as I see other charges which then get charged to your card, I didn't want that

Got onto chat and they say your card won't get charged you have to use a credit balance

Happy enough with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Figured I'd give a 48 sim a test drive as I'm looking to switch after Vodafone's changes. Website wont let me order a SIM as it claims I'm not in Ireland, got onto their chat and they couldn't order me a SIM either. So supposedly the support person is going to order me a SIM in the next couple of hours and will email me to let me know.

Not exactly inspiring confidence here.

Anyone else had an issue like this?

Doomofman wrote: »
    Figured I'd give a 48 sim a test drive as I'm looking to switch after Vodafone's changes. Website wont let me order a SIM as it claims I'm not in Ireland, got onto their chat and they couldn't order me a SIM either. So supposedly the support person is going to order me a SIM in the next couple of hours and will email me to let me know.

Ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Really, I had no problem ordering last week. I just did a Google search and said order new Sim 48. Clicked on the link and ordered.
    Now awaiting Sim

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I had that issue. Switched browser to Internet Explorer and it worked. I previously had tried on Chrome & Firefox with add ons like Ublock & Privacy Badger disabled and it still wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Are you with Virgin Broadband?Sometimes their IP is assign to Netherlands for some reason.
    If u really stuck I have spare Sim cards with 10euro free credit once You buy first 10euro "membership".Can post 2moro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Are you with Virgin Broadband?Sometimes their IP is assign to Netherlands for some reason.

I had exactly the same problem, including the rep's offer to order me a SIM (which I turned down since I figured if I couldn't even order off them successfully it didn't bode well).

I thought it might have been the issue bigboss1986 mentioned - some of the old UPC IP blocks get geotagged as being in the Netherlands, or used to.
    But I also tried it on my phone with the wifi turned off so it was using Three's network, and had no joy.

You're not using Brave by any chance? Think in the end I managed to get it working on either Chrome or Firefox.

MOH wrote: »
    I had exactly the same problem, including the rep's offer to order me a SIM (which I turned down since I figured if I couldn't even order off them successfully it didn't bode well).

I thought it might have been the issue bigboss1986 mentioned - some of the old UPC IP blocks get geotagged as being in the Netherlands, or used to.
    But I also tried it on my phone with the wifi turned off so it was using Three's network, and had no joy.

You're not using Brave by any chance? Think in the end I managed to get it working on either Chrome or Firefox.

My BB is Virgin but I've tried on my 4G as well which is Vodafone. Tried Chrome, IE, Edge as well as Chrome Mobile and Samsung Internet none work. I'm now onto their twitter support and they're "looking into it".

I feel like these issues should make me just eliminate them from my consideration at all

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

My BB is Virgin but I've tried on my 4G as well which is Vodafone. Tried Chrome, IE, Edge as well as Chrome Mobile and Samsung Internet none work. I'm now onto their twitter support and they're "looking into it".

I feel like these issues should make me just eliminate them from my consideration at all

Have you tried downloading the app and signing up that way?

Yeah, I know what you mean, I was the same, wouldn't have gone with them if I hadn't even been able to order a SIM off them.

Ha! I've just tried again on the mobile, put in random details and tried to order a SIM - tells me I'm abroad even though I'm using 48's own mobile data. There's something seriously wrong with however they're determining geolocation.

jimmy86 wrote: »
    Have you tried downloading the app and signing up that way?

Tried the app just now. Error too. 'server not responding'.

Their social media is still looking into it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Tried the app just now. Error too. 'server not responding'.

Their social media is still looking into it haha

Haha, I can see how it wouldn't inspire confidence. I had to reorder my sim as the first one didn't arrive, but apart from that I can't fault the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Tamsta wrote: »
    I'm not able to receive international SMS (including those sent from UK), 48 have no clue why… So if anyone is getting no reply to SMS sent to friends abroad don't start to think bad about them (as happened here) — this might be just a virtual mobile provider's fault :-)

Possibly not much help but anyway .....
    In the past I have seen an issue with MMS not being sent internationally.
    Is it possible that whoever is messaging you is inadvertently using MMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Also got that message about not been in Ireland when trying to order, tried different browsers, pc's and on my phone no luck, ended up using a VPN set to an irish IP and microsoft edge to order it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tamsta

Is it possible that whoever is messaging you is inadvertently using MMS?
    I have no problem to send SMS (and MMS) to anyone in EU (didn't try rest of the world), problem is I will not receive SMS (and MMS) sent from other countries; service in Ireland both ways is working perfect. That's 100% network provider problem but since 48 is "virtual" provider they have no power (nor wish) to get it fixed.

CYHSN wrote: »
    Also got that message about not been in Ireland when trying to order, tried different browsers, pc's and on my phone no luck, ended up using a VPN set to an irish IP and microsoft edge to order it

There seems to be no logic to it. Just checked it again on the mobile (on Virgin wifi).
    Brave - I'm outside Ireland. Tried incognito mode just in case but no luck.
    Chrome - I can order a SIM.
    Opera - I can order a SIM.

I know when I was ordering originally, it wouldn't work on Brave on the PC either with the VPN off or set to an Irish IP.

Whatever they're doing obviously defaults to assuming you're outside Ireland if it hits an error deciding. Which is a bit daft considering you have to provide an Irish address to get a SIM anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Does anyone know that 48 works with bank sms as i am with lyca & it doesnt work with them i need to reset password so need it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

homingbird wrote: »
    Does anyone know that 48 works with bank sms as i am with lyca & it doesnt work with them i need to reset password so need it to work.

There is a number of people on the thread say it does

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

homingbird wrote: »

yes, no problem with sms or login in notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

How long are the SIMs taking to arrive for people? And do they just come in the normal post?

Ordered a few days ago, got the dispatch email but nothing arrived yet.

How long are the SIMs taking to arrive for people? And do they just come in the normal post?

Ordered a few days ago, got the dispatch email but nothing arrived yet.

Think mine was 2 to 3 weeks.

Can't recall but think it was normal postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Mine took 4 days with normal post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Is everyone here getting a 4G signal

I've spent nearly 2 hours with support and even thought I'm in the centre of city in Ireland the 48 network is not available. I have a signal of H+ but it must be jumping onto another network to get that.

I've tried 2 different phones Redmi note 7 and iPhone 6
    I've tried 2 simcards sent to me as the first day I was told that would be the solution.

I've very close to a mast and I have had 4G with these 2 phones for years

I can see every network and their 4G signals, the iPhone did see a 48 network but when it connected immediately it went to "NO SERVICE" and had to let the phone automatically find a service to get a signal

I was in Dublin yesterday and still only H+ signal.

I think it must be tied to my account but can't understand why I can't see the 48network

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

Dymo wrote: »

I've spent nearly 2 hours with support and even thought I'm in the centre of city in Ireland the 48 network is not available. I have a signal of H+ but it must be jumping onto another network to get that.

I've tried 2 simcards sent to me as the first day I was told that would be the solution.

I can see every network and their 4G signals, the iPhone did see a 48 network but when it connected immediately it went to "NO SERVICE" and had to let the phone automatically find a service to get a signal

I think it must be tied to my account but can't understand why I can't see the 48network

I’m getting “LTE”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Joziburg wrote: »
    I’m getting “LTE”

I've LTE in settings but H+ on the status bar

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »

What apn is your phone on?

Mine goes by default to Tescomobile.

I find by changing it to 48months.liffeytelecom.com I get better coverage

Having said that I find coverage to be poor in some places you'd expect better.

Advertisement