Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone tempted by the open water?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I texted my mate who I'll be swimming with later to say the sea was very choppy

Portmarnock is very choppy now is it? Due to head down now in the next hour for a swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Portmarnock is very choppy now is it? Due to head down now in the next hour for a swim.

I was at the Martello end and yes it was choppy, I just checked my texts and that was at 10:50. It might have eased up a little.

Tbh it was just breaking nearer the shore, seemed ok'ish out a little further.

Like I said I was running, so didn't get it. Choppy can be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

batman1 wrote: »
    I am hoping to get into some open water swimming this summer. I am a good swimmer and swam 4-5k a week in pools in my teens but alas, the 40s have arrived. So I was hoping to get into it with a local group. Not competitive but just for exercise and social.

The reason I messaged is for some advice on a wetsuit. I've been researching and it's a real minefield between brands etc. Can anyone advise on what to get, or indeed what not to get? My budget will be around €200 .
    I was told to get orca if I can or blue seventy?
    Agree with everyone, try before you buy. Make sure what ever you get fits your body shape and has the flexibility around the shoulders to allow you the range of motion needed to swim. Speedo would be my preferred brand, i just got a new suit and I really like it. It's light and flexible.
    I'd also say that you should really get a suit that matches your level, else you won't really get the benefit from it. I know you mentioned your budget, but don't be tempted to spend more thinking that a super expensive suit will make you swim faster. Beginner swimmer = beginner wetsuit, elite swimmer = elite wetsuit, and the same for all levels in between

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

batman1 wrote: »
    I am hoping to get into some open water swimming this summer. I am a good swimmer and swam 4-5k a week in pools in my teens but alas, the 40s have arrived. So I was hoping to get into it with a local group. Not competitive but just for exercise and social.

The reason I messaged is for some advice on a wetsuit. I've been researching and it's a real minefield between brands etc. Can anyone advise on what to get, or indeed what not to get? My budget will be around €200 .
    I was told to get orca if I can or blue seventy?
    This may be of use to you
    https://outdoorswimmer.com/product-reviews/best-budget-wetsuits-for-open-water-swimming-2020

audiRon wrote: »

Thanks, that's probably the cheapest online prices I've seen!.

Another thing BM, I don't know whether you're using pool or open water googles but if you're still using pool googles (and they're fine) I find the larger open water googles are far better.

I've had really good pool goggles knocked off me by crashing waves but its never happened with open water googles, and I find sighting is far easier too.

• Advertisement

Lovely swim this evening, the water was crystal clear and mirror flat in Portmarnock this evening. Some jellyfish coming in with the tide but other than that had a really pleasant swim (other than a friction burn on my neck from my wetsuit)

519817.jpg

Lambay Island in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Was in the forty foot twice last week and have never seen the like of the panic about jellyfish. Lots of people talking about them, pointing at apparent lions mane in the water (I couldn't see anything), asking swimmers when they got out were they stung etc. I'm not doing justice to the atmosphere, it was a kind of mass panic.

Tried to shake it out of my mind and got in for a lovely swim with no jellies visible.

Then went down with the kids a few days later and there were signs warning about the presence of lions' mane but things seemed much calmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Heading to Dublin in a couple of weeks for a few days and would like to check out the 40ft. Are there markers in the water you can do a good swim from 1-2K? Are there many boats/jet skis etc to be wary of? Or even if there was a better place for o/w swimming I could check out, i'd be very grateful (I'm staying in South Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Heading to Dublin in a couple of weeks for a few days and would like to check out the 40ft. Are there markers in the water you can do a good swim from 1-2K? Are there many boats/jet skis etc to be wary of? Or even if there was a better place for o/w swimming I could check out, i'd be very grateful (I'm staying in South Dublin).

I'm happier in Seapoint just up the road (you'll see the Martello tower).
    I haven't swam much in the 40ft though

Handy 'maps' on this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057018500

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

The 40ft is iconic and worth checking out to tick it off the bucket list but agree Seapoint is more suitable for a 2k, it’s only down the road. It is tidal, probably best to avoid for an hour or two either side of low tide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

This may seem a silly question but as a new wetsuit wearer, what is the best thing to wear under it (men) and is a toncho or dry robe a must for changing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I just wear a pair of swim jammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I had a lovely (albeit very choppy) 1.8K swim in Seapoint yesterday evening, then myself and the kids (aged 9 & 11) went down to the 40 ft for a few jumps off the famous rock and another dip after. It was lovely to see the huge amount of o/w swimmers in the capital as both spots were very busy, It is usually very quiet down the country where I am from. Thanks again all for the recommendations, ye are deadly!

Advertisement