Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odd Neighbours

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Ah, you might find that that's not actually a compromise.

They are nice people but obviously got used to using our side and can't see that they should stick to theirs since we moved in.

Not worth falling out with them when we have no other issues. If they were arseholes in other ways I would be less inclined to more than meet them half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

They are nice people but obviously got used to using our side and can't see that they should stick to theirs since we moved in.

Not worth falling out with them when we have no other issues. If they were arseholes in other ways I would be less inclined to more than meet them half way.

Do what im doing and widen your driveway (if you can)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I had a neighbour drop a few tons of sheep sh!te in my garden yesterday. I thanked him :)

But seriously, life's to short. Just live your life

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the parking out front thing always reminds me of this stretch of road, must be contagious, everyone has an idiotic no parking sign of their own design, laying claim to the area outside their house,

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2885523,-6.1417473,3a,68.6y,300.12h,66.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB8Seoq5NM6M0HeL2UaiF2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

if you scroll along you can see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Ugh, we moved in before Christmas and there is one unpleasant neighbour. Thankfully shes from further down the road and we're not directly beside her but shes tough to take.

Before moving in, I was around at the house dropping in some items, and she cought me coming out to the car. Full of questions, verging on personal for a complete stranger. Turns out she'd also managed to bump into my OH's parents who were over gawping at the house the previous day and introduced herself to them too.

We did some work on the house when we first moved in which involved a skip. She was full of opinions on that. As happens with skips, we'd some issues with people putting their litter in it while walking past. She came up the road and made a big song and dance about a can of coke which she claimed came from our skip. My OH, said grand, its not ours but whatever, we'll put it in our bins. She then persisted to tell us that our new roof was unnecessary and that it was only done last year (not true - was fully of asbestos and hadnt been touched in 50+ years) but apparently because she'd seen someone doing a patch job on it last year, she thought it was her place to tell us that we shouldnt be getting "unnecessary" work on our roof.

Needless to say, that was the moment I stopped trying to be polite to her - told her that her information was incorrect and we'd do whatever works were deemed necessary for our property without her input. Didnt see her for a while after that.

A few weekends back I saw her out pulling weeds outside various neighbours houses -the area between the road and the footpath. She was absolutely myrtering herself and making a big song and dance of sighing and wiping her brow due to her hard work. Thankfully she didnt get the opportunity to do outside my house as I'd actually done it myself. IMO it was the definition of passive aggressive - trying to shame people for very minor weeds that are actually beyond their boundaries and were not causing any issues and are probably along every street in the country.

There is always one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Did you ask him, how do you move space?

By placing mass in it. It causes spacetime to warp. Arthur Eddington used that fact in an experiment which showed behaviour predicted by Einstein's Theory of General Relativity

I’ve one beside me here that loves parking anywhere but their drive, though I suppose there’s nothing can be done as it’s all legal. Each drive can take 2 cars but they like to park on the road outside their wall and on the road outside our wall and leave the driveway free for visitors all day. There was also a period where they had 3 cars so basically scrapped one outside ours that didn’t move an inch for 7 months.
    As I said, all legal but they’re still arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I’ve one beside me here that loves parking anywhere but their drive, though I suppose there’s nothing can be done as it’s all legal. Each drive can take 2 cars but they like to park on the road outside their wall and on the road outside our wall and leave the driveway free for visitors all day. There was also a period where they had 3 cars so basically scrapped one outside ours that didn’t move an inch for 7 months.
    As I said, all legal but they’re still arseholes.

Feel like I could have written this exact same post! I just don't get people freaking out over spots on the road if they actually have space to park in their front garden

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At our previous house the road was quite narrow, so if someone was parked in the road outside their house and your drive happened to be directly opposite it was a very tight squeeze to pull out.

One neighbour across from us asked us not to park in one particular spot as it interfered with his exit, there was plenty of room in the street (a cul de sac) so we obliged by parking a bit further along.

New people came in opposite us though and would stop the car across their own driveway, a good foot out from the kerb, which made it impossible for us to get out. Each time we had to ask them to move their car a bit - and there was loads of space for them to park a car length back, but that would have involved another six steps of walking. We never got through to them, all very pleasant and cheerful to say hello, but no cop on socially - especially when their considerable numbers of relatives completely filled the turnaround at the end of the road, they just didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Cyrus wrote: »
    the parking out front thing always reminds me of this stretch of road, must be contagious, everyone has an idiotic no parking sign of their own design, laying claim to the area outside their house,

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2885523,-6.1417473,3a,68.6y,300.12h,66.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB8Seoq5NM6M0HeL2UaiF2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

What is so secret just further along the road?
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2885808,-6.142957,3a,75y,248.13h,78.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sha5F_HSUr9BHegAXEeqX7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement

emanresu wrote: »

Someone with a tinfoil hat. You can request to have your house removed from street view.

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

With a lot of the lads they accept into the army, let's just say, it could be far worse for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Funny, sounds like my experience moving into a new apartment.
    >boomers live 20 years, think they own the place
    >I move in
    >They leave me a note about turning off the light in the toilet. Even though you can't see into the apartment at all. You would need to have your ear to the wall to hear the fan the light triggers.
    >I go to work every day, 5 days a week. A month later at 23:30 the boomer is knocking on my door, I wake up check what in hell he wants - the guy says he wants to check if everyting is OK as he didn't see me in a while. This time **** is weird, I don't answer and ignore him.

Boomers are losing their faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

There's also a lot of people who are nobodies but pretending to be say the landlord makes them feel important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Cyrus wrote: »

In fairness, they must get a huge amount of people using their road as free parking being so close to the harbour. I parked down that way about 15 years back on a Sunday. Checked for parking restrictions and saw no signage. After a couple hours of fishing, car was clamped. I was furious, argued there were no signs AND it was a Sunday....free parking pretty much anywhere except paid car parks.

I kid you not, there were dozens of cars clamped as I walked up to the clampers office. I didn't notice any signage. When I checked more carefully upon returning to my vehicle, my friend spotted a parking sign......BEHIND A LARGE BOAT!! I never went fishing there again. It was and probably still is an issue there.

Stay Free

In fairness, they must get a huge amount of people using their road as free parking being so close to the harbour. I parked down that way about 15 years back on a Sunday. Checked for parking restrictions and saw no signage. After a couple hours of fishing, car was clamped. I was furious, argued there were no signs AND it was a Sunday....free parking pretty much anywhere except paid car parks.

I kid you not, there were dozens of cars clamped as I walked up to the clampers office. I didn't notice any signage. When I checked more carefully upon returning to my vehicle, my friend spotted a parking sign......BEHIND A LARGE BOAT!! I never went fishing there again. It was and probably still is an issue there.

I’m not sure what the story is to me it’s not close enough to bother parking there but maybe it’s close to something

The point is it’s not their space to stop people parking there unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Is it not a footpath?

Foot path is the outer part

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

I'd definitely be organising a rave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beekeeper1

368100 wrote: »
    Never thought of that....
    Hey OP ... have you ever considered that what he said to you that first day you met was taken completely out of context by you ? perhaps he was yknow....bantering with a new neighbour? And youre potentially gonna ruin his career by reporting him to ths army.
    i live in a cul de sac...all families...house goes up for sale and the fella selling it says its a family who has bought it (anyone who says they dont care to know who or what kinda people have bought the house you share a wall with is a liar ) after a few weeks it became apparent it was a single guy on his own. a single guy in a 4 bed house in an estate teeming with kids. OF COURSE the neighbours commented ! what added to the rumour was that from the day he moved in the guards were never away from his door. constantly calling. of course you think frig sake hes a paedo and they're checkimg on him ! the whole close was aware of him. what happened? turns out hes some kind of peace.commissioner or one of those people who signs off on stuff for the guards. you wouldn't think it to look at him ...he looks like a right wee scrote.
    my point is... you say it was a horrible way to welcome you . if i move in somewhere i dont see the onus as on my neighbour to knock into me and introduce myself. People dont like to think theyre being that kinda neighbour. i feel as the new guy the onus is on u to say....how u doing...my name is x, i just moved in next door , dont wanna be besties , but you can see im not looper lol (in the same banter he probably said listen if theres trouble the neighbours will send the boys round) why is this bothering you after 8 months...has he done anything since ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Where did I say I was going to report him? It was a suggestion by another poster and I said I hadnt thought about it.
    I'm not sure if you're just a troll or what with your profile just registered and that being your only post... but if you're not and you automatically think a single guy buying a 4 bedroom house in an estate with kids is justification ro call him a paedo then that's just plain weird....and vindictive, it says a lot more about you, and wouldn't encourage me to in any way respect your opinion......why would you automatically jump to the worst possible conclusion?
    A scrote? What should a peace commissioner look like?

So basically from what you've said....a guy moved into a house, was called a paedo just because he is single with absolutely no other basis, and when that was found to be untrue then he is called a scrote in relation to being a peace commissioner....(which is a volunteer role with no pay and is there to do good in the community). So you and your neighbours have absolutely slated this guy for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Have you ever spoken to him or are you judging and making wild accusations from afar? You sound like more than just an odd neighbour.... you sound like a gossiping, spiteful and vindictive one. I'm actually shocked at your post. You really ago should go and take a look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It is posts like this that make me so grateful to be living in the middle of nowhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Caught my Dad's next neighbour of 30 odd years trying to rip off my elderly father for a small tree he got cut down on my Dad's property, some of the branches were extending over to his garden. When I mean small I could have cut it down myself, approx 9 foot I'd say. But he took it upon himself to get his gardener that was cutting his trees at the time to cut it down.

I came home to visit my dad one weekend near Christmas, because he was sick at the time. Dad sent me into the neighbour because he was demanding 250 euro for the cutting of the tree.
    I seen red. The same neighbour, let's call him Michael, had ripped me off years previous for a nixer i done for him. I never got paid for that nixer.

I knocked on his door around lunchtime one Sunday. When he answered I told him I was sent to pay him for the tree that was cut. Asked him how much it was, he said 250. I said could I get the number for his gardener and I'd pay his gardener direct. At this point he got extremely irrate and said he had paid him already, and that it was nothing to do with me and that the matter was between him and my father. I said it was everything to do with me because I was sent to pay for it and my father was too sick to deal with it. I asked how much the entire job was, for the cutting of all his trees. His entire garden was cut and trimmed, and for our one tree. He said €450. At this point I lost it. He was charging my Dad the bulk of the bill for 1 tree. I told him never to f&@#g grace our doorstep again, that he wouldn't be getting paid and slammed his own door in his own face.

He subsequently went crying and moaning to my elderly and very sick father about what a nasty son he had. It caused an awful rift for months between me and my Dad. Needles to say, I never paid him because I was in control of my Dad's finances from that point, because he became too ill.

Imagine, trying to rip off your elderly sick neighbour!

Michael, said neighbour, is a pious man, the attends mass everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

We had the neighbours from hell and it started after i offered to collect their kids from school while I was collecting my own. The husband didn't work and the wife didn't drive and I would pass her every day in the car while she walked the kids to school in hail, rain or snow.

Biggest mistake I ever made. She started letting herself into our garden and then would knock on the door to ask if you could have stuff she'd seen in our garden, at least she asked though.. Had to put a lock on the gate.

Then she would ask for lifts into town all while her husbands car was sitting on the drive. Wouldn't have minded if it was occasional but it was a couple of times a week.

After her son battered my daughter with a hurley and she said nothing to him I distanced myself. He'd already thrown rocks at her and done/said things that were questionable. That's when she turned nasty. One day she came banging on our door screaming because our daughters FRIEND stood on her front lawn.

My kids couldn't even play in our back garden unless me or my husband was out there with them because she would intimidate them from an upstairs window. Shouting at them to be quiet while her own kids could scream like wild animals or sometimes just staring at them.

There's lots more I could add but I'd be here all day. I keep myself to myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beekeeper1

368100 wrote: »
    Where did I say I was going to report him? It was a suggestion by another poster and I said I hadnt thought about it.
    I'm not sure if you're just a troll or what with your profile just registered and that being your only post... but if you're not and you automatically think a single guy buying a 4 bedroom house in an estate with kids is justification ro call him a paedo then that's just plain weird....and vindictive, it says a lot more about you, and wouldn't encourage me to in any way respect your opinion......why would you automatically jump to the worst possible conclusion?
    A scrote? What should a peace commissioner look like?

So basically from what you've said....a guy moved into a house, was called a paedo just because he is single with absolutely no other basis, and when that was found to be untrue then he is called a scrote in relation to being a peace commissioner....(which is a volunteer role with no pay and is there to do good in the community). So you and your neighbours have absolutely slated this guy for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Have you ever spoken to him or are you judging and making wild accusations from afar? You sound like more than just an odd neighbour.... you sound like a gossiping, spiteful and vindictive one. I'm actually shocked at your post. You really ago should go and take a look at yourself.

I have 3 kids. I’m not going to apologise for being aware of who is living in my area. BUT when you’re a single person in your 20’s as I once was the VERY last place I’d be buying a house is in an estate jammed with screaming kids. And when that guy moves in and makes little effort to introduce himself to anyone,kits the house out in cameras and then has the cops there daily..... it’s not long before the neighbours question what yer mans story is.
    You say this neighbour of yours is in his 50’s so potentially been in the army 30+ Years and you’re going to maybe report him to his bosses cause he doesn’t say hello some days, and is odd......you call him an asshole for what exactly?
    And when someone suggested reporting him you replied”never thought of that”....”not ‘ hadn’t thought about it’ Which is completely different. Never thought of that .....ie .... oh Yes I could couldn’t I? Yet he’s the asshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Long game is paying off. Theyve dumped their motor outside for a month now.
    Driveway getting done this week, ive moved the entrance to the other side so the car space wont exist in a few days.
    I probably wouldnt have flipped the entrance around if he never called in so i suppose i should thank him in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Beekeeper1 wrote: »
    I have 3 kids. I’m not going to apologise for being aware of who is living in my area. BUT when you’re a single person in your 20’s as I once was the VERY last place I’d be buying a house is in an estate jammed with screaming kids. And when that guy moves in and makes little effort to introduce himself to anyone,kits the house out in cameras and then has the cops there daily..... it’s not long before the neighbours question what yer mans story is.
    You say this neighbour of yours is in his 50’s so potentially been in the army 30+ Years and you’re going to maybe report him to his bosses cause he doesn’t say hello some days, and is odd......you call him an asshole for what exactly?
    And when someone suggested reporting him you replied”never thought of that”....”not ‘ hadn’t thought about it’ Which is completely different. Never thought of that .....ie .... oh Yes I could couldn’t I? Yet he’s the asshole!

Firstly, you need to learn how to use the quotes function on boards.
    Secondly, why wouldn't a single person buy a house in an area with kids? Ever think maybe their intention or hopes are to have kids of their own?
    Also, most people put cameras up around their house these days, cheap way to keep property secure.
    Ever think maybe the person just wants to keep themselves to themselves? What Are you expecting? Them to go and knock on every door on the street to introduce themselves?
    You've had the explanation as to why the guards are there and you're still calling him a scrote etc.....you sound like a horrible horrible person.

If you read the OP properly you would see the problem was not about saying hello every day....At the end of the day, the neighbour used a threat, be it in some weird way in jest or not.....and my point was that it wasn't a nice way to welcome someone to the neighbourhood. If your kid bought a house and the next door neighbour said that to them you would just think it was hilarious would you??

You must live a sad life to be so suspicious about things.....maybe you should go and speak to someone about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread closed for mod review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement