Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulling heifers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here ya go. Martin O'Connor's sale Elphin Mart 8th Nov.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/martin-oconnors-in-calf-heifer-sale-2019/23251571

Which of these heifers would people like? I'd only like pics 6 & 8, maybe 10.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/martin-oconnors-in-calf-heifer-sale-2019/23251571

You would want a calving jack handy for all those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

jfh wrote: »
    They are all fairly beefy alright and there would probably have less milk than a dandelion. Personally they would be two big for my place, they would be ploughing in this wet weather. The blue black 1 is a nice enough heifer & with AA in her breding she should have milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

jfh wrote: »
    They are all fairly beefy alright and there would probably have less milk than a dandelion. Personally they would be two big for my place, they would be ploughing in this wet weather. The blue black 1 is a nice enough heifer & with AA in her breding she should have milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Your very biased towards the limos :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Who2 wrote: »
    squinn2912 wrote: »
    Sounds like a likelier gamble. I’d love to be talking to anyone paying 3000 or 3500 for those heifers to ask what made them prepared to go to that money. My suspicion is that it’s someone wanting to show their cash on the hip I’d love to be proved wrong but going into that sale someone must have had it in their head that she’s worth 34

I seen a lad give similar money for a heifer and sold here for 6 odd at a fat stock show. There’s a lad for everything. The whole showing scene makes no sense really but I wouldn’t mind having a few to come into that sort of money.

6?!?! What the hell is the factory going to give to cover that? Silliness. Likevyou say there’s no logic to it

I guess 7 is nice too and the bluey one has nice coloring if she’s a bit gutty. They all look far too fleshy and heavy for calving, likely packed with meal. Was talking to a guy who bought heifers off a well known heifer man... we only had 7 caesarians this year... that’s some craic. I dunno how to understand this panic buying but it’s cutting my throat the nice lim heifers I threw away at 450 kgs in August. If I painted a white stripe on their bellies I’d be a f**king millionaire this time next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Too much muscle. The vet would be a busy man at the side door with those. Best left for the Butcher to hang em

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Too much muscle. The vet would be a busy man at the side door with those. Best left for the Butcher to hang em
    Way too much Beef/ Muscle/ Feeding and lack of Milk traits for me. They look like factory fit heifers not coming up to calfing. I think Breed an R grade cow with good calfing ability and milk with a good U bull and your winning. Doing it the other way around. i suppose you could put a Holstein on them they should be fit to calf them

cacs wrote: »
    Way too much Beef/ Muscle/ Feeding and lack of Milk traits for me. They look like factory fit heifers not coming up to calfing. I think Breed an R grade cow with good calfing ability and milk with a good U bull and your winning. Doing it the other way around. i suppose you could put a Holstein on them they should be fit to calf them

Yep I think you’d gravely regret buying those heifers. If it didn’t work out you’ve a big beast to sell. Another problem at a lot of these incalf heifer sales they’re very agey. Saw one got for £1600 at 42 months last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 p dogg

Delighted to have landed this heifer in Delvin weanling sale Friday night. March born 380 kgs. She is 3/4 bred simmental with shorthorn breeding in her aswell. She cost 880. The same heifer would have cost an extra 3 or 4 hundred at the special sale I was at in Carnaross last Saturday. Fingers crossed, may she be lucky.

p dogg wrote: »
    Delighted to have landed this heifer in Delvin weanling sale Friday night. March born 380 kgs. She is 3/4 bred simmental with shorthorn breeding in her aswell. She cost 880. The same heifer would have cost an extra 3 or 4 hundred at the special sale I was at in Carnaross last Saturday. Fingers crossed, may she be lucky.

Great work hope she works out well for you. Any photos? Would to try bulling her for calving next autumn or wait on?

Advertisement