Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Joe be Gone Til November like Wyclef Jean? Liveline: 17/09/2019 to date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This one saying what fungus told her to say now.;)

Where's the man who lost his son?

His experiences of sewerside is too raw for Katie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The cynic in me says that man was cut off deliberately by RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

His experiences of sewerside is too raw for Katie.

Katie doesn't like to hear what actually happened?

She'd rather have it dressed up in flowery language that doesn't cause offence.

Of course he was. He was getting to the point. RTE can't be having that.

• Advertisement

Katie doesn't like to hear what actually happened?

She'd rather have it dressed uo in flowery language that doesnt cause offence.

I was screaming at the radio. Putting a muzzle on him. Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So do we ignore or bury the topic? How is the issue to be addressed?

It matters not a bit whether we address it or don't address it. Some people will still commit suicide; it has always been the case and always will.
    I've heard it discussed many times in the media. Many government agencies and charities have been set up. There have been advertising campaigns.
    It has made no difference. Anyone who is determined to commit suicide will do so. It is a sad fact of life.

I was screaming at the radio. Putting a muzzle on him. Disgraceful

I felt the same. It's hard enough to discuss these things without someone trying to shut you up.

It was he who was saying he had a bad line, not KH though.

I don't think Katie was asking him not to say 'hanging' per se, I think she was wary of him going beyond that and getting into further detail.

There are probably people listening to this who are very distressed and may have even found their own loved ones. I can see where she's coming from. It's the exact opposite to what Joe would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

listening to this is not going to make anyone anyway better anyway !

• Advertisement

Katie in conscious. Shes rendering us unconscious

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It matters not a bit whether we address it or don't address it. Some people will still commit suicide; it has always been the case and always will.
    I've heard it discussed many times in the media. Many government agencies and charities have been set up. There have been advertising campaigns.
    It has made no difference. Anyone who is determined to commit suicide will do so. It is a sad fact of life.

You could say that about pretty much anything.

Why bother doing anything to improve?

Sure people are going to crash their car. Why bother with road safety?

Why bother trying to do anything positive in life?

It was he who was saying he had a bad line, not KH though.

I don't think Katie was asking him not to say 'hanging' per se, I think she was wary of him going beyond that and getting into further detail.

There are probably people listening to this who are very distressed and may have even found their own loved ones. I can see where she's coming from. It's the exact opposite to what Joe would have done.

I disagree, she balked the second he mentioned hanging. That was his experience, he should have been given the decency to relate his story,not get cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭shearforce

"your friend was only 14 when she took her own life"

Yes Katie that's what she just said

let ppl talk ffs

I disagree, she balked the second he mentioned hanging. That was his experience, he should have been given the decency to relate his story,not get cut off.

I agree. It's difficult to discuss these things in public at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I was beginning to like Katie Hannon on Liveline,but she is very diappointing today.Its a bit like reading a death notice of a person that died by suicide or cancer,"tragically" or "after a short illness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Not tuned in but suicide? Again?

Now we could have a poetry reading...because it's nice

That's not quite true... the suicide rate in Ireland has fallen from 13.5 per 100,000 population in 2001 to 8.5 in 2016. That's a reduction of nearly 40%.

Public funding for mental health has remained static (about 6% of health budget), so the only thing that we can link that to is increased openness and discussion, through things like Darkness Into Light, and changing attitudes in general.

Given that so many people have exerience of this, I find it hard to understand why it isnt discussed more effectively.

• Advertisement

Wonder did Katie's experience of sewerside involve hanging ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I was talking to a nurse from Loughlinstown Hospital. She says there are three suicides a week being dealt with by that hospital alone. Some school children foind still wearing their school uniforms. It's incredibly sad and disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

We were promised loads of things at the start of this Downs,Dogs, Discipline in kids sports,doubting thomasses and weve only hear dthe one topic!!

I was beginning to like Katie Hannon on Liveline,but she is very diappointing today.It's a bit like reading a death notice of a person that died by suicide or cancer,"tragically" or "after a short illness"

Her first couple of shows were enjoyable. Duffy put a stop to that though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

You could say that about pretty much anything.

Why bother doing anything to improve?

Sure people are going to crash their car. Why bother with road safety?

Why bother trying to do anything positive in life?

You can do plenty of things to improve road safety. The essential difference is that road casualties are the result of accidents.
    Suicide is a deliberate act by someone who simply does not want to go on living for whatever reason.
    Does anyone else have the right to prevent them from ending their own lives. Surely that is the ultimate human right?
    We have every sympathy for a person with a terminal illness, or who is in unbearable pain, to end their own lives but we have little sympathy or understanding for those who may be suffering with unbearable mental pain to do the same thing.

Peter's line is gone...my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Should she address him as Dr?

You can do plenty of things to improve road safety. The essential difference is that road casualties are the result of accidents.
    Suicide is a deliberate act by someone who simply does not want to go on living for whatever reason.
    Does anyone else have the right to prevent them from ending their own lives. Surely that is the ultimate human right?
    Not if the person's freedom to act is being manipulated by some aspect of, for example, their brain biochemistry.

Aside from the biochemical side of things, suicide is also known to be correlated with family breakdown, unemployment, and other major stressors. If a person can be assisted with relieving that stress, then yes that option should be exhausted.

If they cannot be helped and are in intractable misery, then absolutely, suicide (or assisted suicide) has to be understood in that context.

Interesting to hear the experience of a GP of diminishing cases of child sex abuse and associated trauma.

Good old Catholic Ireland eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

RTE is obsessed with misery. WTF? People have enough misery in their lives without being bombarded with it morning noon and night , weekends included .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement