Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a 250 ml coke bottle hold liquid propane ?

• 17-06-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

can a 250 ml coke bottle hold liquid propane at 170 psi ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

wsa30h wrote: »

Mother of god. NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Sounds to me like you plan to store propane

Think this is still current :

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2013-11/documents/storage.pdf

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Mother of god. NO
    Actually, yes, you just need to think outside the box bottle.

At normal temperatures are pressures, the bottle would likely rupture, either at the bottle cap (by forcing it off) or along any weak points (joints, folds, etc.) on the bottle body.

If the pressure outside the bottle is also 170 psi (about 11.5 atmospheres), then the effect on the bottle would be negligible. At question however, would be whether the propane is a gas at that pressure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane
    Propane requires just 1,220 kilopascals (177 psi) of pressure to keep it liquid at 37.8 °C (100 °F).

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-d_1423.html - check the critical point.

And what happens when the air temperature increases.
    And not to mention that this is a phenomenal fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

It's a very bad idea to ever store anything other than products suitable for human consumption in drink bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Not a good idea!

Fizzy drink bottles are not designed to hold those kinds of pressures for long periods, nor are the designed with any kind of serious safety margin as they only hold a food product that's of no risk.

I also wouldn't be sure how a liquid hydrocarbon like propane might interact with the seal on the lid.

You've also issues like static discharge possibilities when you open lid, which could potentially cause explosion as the container is in no way designed for flammable or explosive products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

It's there even such a thing as a 250ml bottle of coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Why would you want to do that?
    Is this some new incarnation for the Molotov cocktail?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭wsa30h

experimental purpose have been storing butane in a 1 litre coke bottle in the shed no problems so far. but thats because butanes vapor pressure is 38 psi and a brand new unopened coke bottle has 50 psi.
    also found out that propane stored in the same way in the freezer has about the same pressure as butane does at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You'll have blown before you even get to scream Allah hu Akbar.

I'm not joking about the first bit and only slightly about the 2nd.

• Advertisement

i found that a 250 ml coke bottle holds the propane for about 3 hours at room temperature and then the lid starts swelling so i cooled it down in the freezer and opened it poured the propane out and got rid of the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

i found that a 250 ml coke bottle holds the propane for about 3 hours at room temperature and then the lid starts swelling so i cooled it down in the freezer and opened it poured the propane out and got rid of the bottle.

It isn't going to hold liquid propane, as it comes warmer it will turn to gas and the actual plastic itself will not hold it never mind the lid.

If it was a bottle with no Cork, it would still leak.

The pressure It is under is what keeps it liquid.

but holds butane just fine because the pressure needed to keep it liquid is much lower.
    also i kept the propane liquid in the bottle by keeping it chilled at -18 Celsius to keep the required pressure at about 40 psi rather than 170 at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OP are you aware that propane is frequently used as a refrigerant in cold stores ?

On foot of this, a lot of work has been done on characterizing the substance.

If you do a little reading you will realize that there is no need to experiment with such a well understood substance.

Here is one jumping off point for you

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?131-Hydrocarbon-refrigerants

:)

i understand but i experiment with it because i find it fun and i know its dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

i understand but i experiment with it because i find it fun and i know its dangers.

Beats sniffing butane i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP, are you related to this guy, and if so, please invest in a geiger counter before you expand to the nuclear experiements.

no radioactive things arent my game i like cold things like liquid nitrogen.

no radioactive things arent my game i like cold things like liquid nitrogen.

I hope you like hot things too, cause you’re gonna cause an explosion

no am not because am not going to make a spark with either static electricity or any other way and am not going to let the propane heat up past -18 celsius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

no am not because am not going to make a spark with either static electricity or any other way and am not going to let the propane heat up past -18 celsius.

Are you an owner-occupier living alone, in a property a good distance from any of your neighbours? With no dry vegetation in between?

If so, go for it. If not, cop on.

il do what i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

il do what i want.
    Says the person with 7 fingers.

��

haha

Advertisement