Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat Ducato camper build

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Totally down to you. Bit I'd put the floor insulation in now. As much depth as will allow head height. Putting it in after will have cold spots all over the place. Allowing damp to accumulate in hidden locations .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cabinets were made with the extra height of the floor insulation taken into account, we still need to cut out for drop vent, water lines and other things so insulation will be done at that stage. Floor is only sitting where it is, nothing’s fixed in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

We'll be going to Silverstone this year in a new enough camper. It's actually a demo vehicle from my mates job. They build them to spec. There's a double bed at the back like yours but higher. Then there's 2 singles underneath. It has some sort of pull out tray then for bikes or surfboards. Its a Sprinter sized van. I'll try get pics if you like.

Hoping to do something myself like this over next few years. have a house restoration project going at the moment. But love seeing people do their own.

Toying with the idea of metal fabrication of some components for weigh reduction. Ideally want it to be as reasonable on juice as it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A propos nothing in particular, we've got a bunch of these in the yard at work: step-framed (dropped) Ducato's on air suspension.....would make a serious camper base......you can see the pneumatic cylinder for the air suspension between the galv chassis rails, behind the cab.

482093.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

These are the standard types they build
    701-D77-F7-5-DB1-405-C-8073-542423255-E11.jpg

galwaytt wrote: »
    A propos nothing in particular, we've got a bunch of these in the yard at work: step-framed (dropped) Ducato's on air suspension.....would make a serious camper base......you can see the pneumatic cylinder for the air suspension between the galv chassis rails, behind the cab.

482093.png

Is that going to be an ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

galwaytt wrote: »

482093.png

They do build them on ALKO chassis (which is what that it). Fiat build the cab and ALKO built the back end.. ALKO build them as they are lower than the standard Fiat chassis.

However, ALKO chassis are loosing popularity with motorhome builders as Fiat are now building their own low floor Camping Car chassis (dedicated motorhome chassis and only sold to selected converters) with wide track suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

colm_mcm wrote: »
    These are the standard types they build
    701-D77-F7-5-DB1-405-C-8073-542423255-E11.jpg

Being a bo!!ox about it, they are not standard Ducato chassis cabs, they are the Fiat Camping Car Ducatos. They are only sold to specified converters.

Edit, the panel Van camping car still has the sliding door on the right hand side in right hand drive vans, not the normal left hand side for standard right hand drive vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Is that going to be an ambulance?

It is. Usually Sprinters, but we've had a gaggle of Iveco's of one sort or another over time, including 4 x 4's.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Unusual to have a FWD ambulance (Ducato)

Been a bit slow on the build the last week.

Did a bit more work on the beds tonight.

Cut down the frame I made a few weeks ago to fit the finished width of the van interior.

I used cable tray to reinforce the second frame (same process as the first one) I wanted something light and strong that wouldn’t take much space.
    0-CD5-BE54-600-E-4-E52-8-EF8-F9-C3-D215-EBD0.jpg

57-F9-B870-6087-43-A6-BFF6-0-B98-A3175-D69.jpg
    The rubber feet for the slats needed to be transplanted one by one.

C202-D4-D4-6132-4-AA4-96-C6-257-C4-BE5-FF44.jpg

11528-B9-B-D95-D-48-BE-8009-38-A71159-EFBD.jpg

So now the bed frame (which comes out to the door) sits on the boxes (which don’t come all the way out)

Happy with that.

(Also tidied up as it was starting to get dangerous)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Great thread Colm, only seeing it now.

Will you be putting in a w/c or shower?

Great thread Colm, only seeing it now.

Will you be putting in a w/c or shower?

That’s in the plans alright. Under pressure to get it on the road this year so we’ll see!

Next we lined the roof with foil backed rubber stuff for sound deadening. Then some insulation slabs.

CEB3-FB2-B-7-BBB-4573-A4-C2-564-C890949-F5.jpg

AC3-E15-A5-3856-4-B15-88-FB-6951-B8-D5-A55-E.jpg

The cavities are then filled with polyester insulation wool stuff. Mainly for sound deadening. It’s not going to stop the body conducting heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Next we lined the roof with foil backed rubber stuff for sound deadening. Then some insulation slabs.

CEB3-FB2-B-7-BBB-4573-A4-C2-564-C890949-F5.jpg

AC3-E15-A5-3856-4-B15-88-FB-6951-B8-D5-A55-E.jpg

The cavities are then filled with polyester insulation wool stuff. Mainly for sound deadening. It’s not going to stop the body conducting heat.

Will the wool stuff not just soak up condensation and never dry out after?

We have preventatively resealed all the roof seams, and are fitting a damp proof course over the slabs, so condensation shouldn’t be an issue.

We have preventatively resealed all the roof seams, and are fitting a damp proof course over the slabs, so condensation shouldn’t be an issue.

Any reason you didn't just foam those locations

listermint wrote: »
    Any reason you didn't just foam those locations

Ususual shape with limited access rules out the sheets, plus the wool is reversible if for whatever reason it needs to come out - unlike say expanding foam.

Bit more done in the walls
    EB46-E2-F9-ACFA-44-A9-A9-FD-B36-CB99186-F3.jpg

• Advertisement

Made a frame for around the sliding window. If you’ve seen the Transit you’ll know where I’m going with this.

We’re making provision for a toilet/shower which would have a wall flush with the right hand side of the window aperture.

CE3-A4-A39-91-BA-4-ABD-8-EF8-4-C6-FAB67-BAF5.jpg

Bit of work started on the rear seats. They’ll sit about 3” back from where they are now.

FAF70-B31-0557-497-E-BB5-A-5-A92-C73-D7362.jpg

The seats are from a Merc Sprinter which means there’s under-seat storage, the base flips up. Have to add more to the frame which will be done next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

The seats are from a Merc Sprinter which means there’s under-seat storage, the base flips up. Have to add more to the frame which will be done next week.

Cheers Colm, looking forward to see this coming together. Great to see the details and pics. Best of luck with the build

Next step was to build the walls. Decided to start on the trickiest but most fun one.
    Secured it to the window frame, then routered the opening for the window out.

8-EDA41-FC-74-FC-4413-BDD6-79522-C6-AAB29.jpg
    7-D8-EE183-8443-4786-8943-306-AE3-C3640-C.jpg
    EA2-BECD1-EA5-C-4-A26-BFA5-78172925-DFDE.jpg

This will be coming down again as we need to do the vapour barrier, drill for wiring and a small bit more insulation and support for overhead lockers.

274909-B0-450-D-4-E0-C-82-E5-F8-FA50819-F9-F.jpg

2-E1462-EA-A7-B7-47-F5-B251-99-BCAA8-D9887.jpg

Bit more progress today.

Made another section of wall
    05-AAACBF-B630-48-C1-8-DBC-2542512-B706-B.jpg
    More of this
    6-B8-E603-B-24-E6-4712-A84-B-ACC496-E4731-A.jpg

19-E11-D49-6583-48-C6-A016-7739-FBC8339-A.jpg

Could have gone straight up but want to maximise space in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Only spotted this now, looks great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I've really enjoyed watching this unfold, thanks. You've inspired me to address my own wish to make my Volvo 940 estate into a micro camper. Best of luck with the continuing build. :)

• Advertisement

Bit more done today. Dropout vent drilled out for the gas locker. This means if there’s a gas leak the gas will drop though the vent and not into the cabin.

C1-F82182-C51-C-4-C8-E-8-EF5-28-FE81-E9-CB26.jpg

DD7-B7-C83-704-E-4-FFA-907-C-B58-CA8-F93-DCD.jpg

Also made a start on the passenger side bedroom wall this is basically a mirror image of the other side. Not screwed in the bottom yet.
    CBDF9-A57-1-A00-4650-A4-F6-C177-D5-CDE3-DA.jpg

Starting the laborious job of drilling out the old screw holes from the old ply lining, and giving them an anti rust treatment

1-F501065-FFFE-4-F32-B46-F-576-EDD2-A06-B5.jpg

Advertisement