Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

• 05-04-2018 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thought this might be a good idea to stop anyone getting stung by one of those nasty replicas out there.
    Anyone spots a fake or has doubts over a watch can post here for advice, similar threads are going on watch forums and it could be handy to have one here for adverts, done deal and eBay

Right I will get the ball rolling with this one

http://www.adverts.ie/15021446

I can see a few flaws in this one

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Report the ads to Adverts if you believe the items are not genuine. It's better than drawing attention to them like this

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

This is a great idea. I'm not too familiar with watches to pick out a good fake. The first indicator is the price and seller feedback but looking at the watch and knowing for sure that it's a fake is beyond me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The Tag says replica in the description, or is that a recent edit?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

They don't always remove the fakes from adverts. One of my pet hates are the fakes coming out of India. Repainted dials with any manufacturers branding on them, they tend to dump a generic Chinese movement in them.

Butchered Seiko's from India also with repainted dials, reprinted caseback. These are cobbled together watches with fake Seiko dials and parts of different movements.

Fakes or replicas don't have to be from the big Swiss brands.

Buyer beware

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

HDMI wrote: »
    They don't always remove the fakes from adverts. One of my pet hates are the fakes coming out of India. Repainted dials with any manufacturers branding on them, they tend to dump a generic Chinese movement in them.

Butchered Seiko's from India also with repainted dials, reprinted caseback. These are cobbled together watches with fake Seiko dials and parts of different movements.

Fakes or replicas don't have to be from the big Swiss brands.

Buyer beware

I see a lot of "vintage" Omega's on Chrono24 from India and I wondered how they could have some many of them available at one time. I guess this explains it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there is a lot of rubbish on adverts i always report it when i see it, same people relist and relist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s not as bad as dung deal
    Aye. To be fair I've found Adverts to be pretty good at removing fakes, so when I see one I report it and 9 times outa 10 it gets nuked.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Morning all! All the ones listed in this thread are now gone!

I have a nuke button for the W&T section of adverts.. To be fair I generally try and check once or twice a day for replicas but the Tag as an example would have slipped through the net as it was advertised originally at a price in line with a second hand Aquaracer, the seller had good feedback and the pictures didn't look like the typical junk replicas you can see from time to time.

The others I may have missed. There is another mod that looks after reports also and between us I think we do a decent job of keeping the tat of adverts for the most part.
    If anyone spots anything they can always drop me a PM on here.. between here and adverts I'll generally pick it up fairly quickly!

I’m on the go at the moment and can’t do it from the mobile but will look after it later thanks for the head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Over on watchuseek there is an omega sub forum. And in there is a fake buster sub forum where people can get advice on an omega piece they are looking at.
    It is a real education looking at wine of the watches in there. Many look the real deal but those experts are on top of their game.
    That said a few recent fakes are very hard to spot. The fakers are getting better.
    There is also a vintage watch sub forum on wus and in there is a long running thread about bad redials. It's great entertainment looking at some of the bad efforts. Many from India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ELV1897

That said a few recent fakes are very hard to spot. The fakers are getting better.

No doubt because the fake makers read the fake-spotting tips given by experts on watch forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

http://www.adverts.ie/15150384

Photo 10/10 is a nasty shade of green

Reported that one earlier! Mods are fairly good.

Only thing that annoys me is when the same seller posts the same ladd multiple times and seems to get away with it. Not sure what the rules are for giving a ban.

Also annoying if you report it and it's still there a day later and the system won't allow you re report.

I also lol hard when a Rolex or something is posted for 500 ish with fake papers and you get a stream of simpletons asking;

"Is it real"
    "Offer 400 if you meet in Dawson's"

And-Its-Gone..jpg

893bet wrote: »
    I also lol hard when a Rolex or something is posted for 500 ish with fake papers and you get a stream of simpletons asking;

"Is it real"
    "Offer 400 if you meet in Dawson's"

Don't you think those "simpletons" are trying to call out the fake? I asked whether there were papers with a dirt cheap Hublot recently and the user promptly took down the ad (at least I think that's what happened).

Besides which there is always the hope that somebody really us selling a Rolex for 500. Well it's more likely than winning the Lotto...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

http://www.adverts.ie/15145252

This came back quickly lol
    I have reported it a while back
    What's wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hey guys. Interesting thread, but the best thing you can do is report the ad as fake and say WHY its a fake.
    It can be difficult to know just by looking so it does help if you explain why. Adverts does take them down as soon as possible.

It was fake

(I think he was asking how do you know... just a hunch)

Ah right
    It’s just a terrible copy from the get go

Ha, fair enough. The problem of fakes is compunded by the fact that the seller may not realise. I bought a watch that turned out to be fake (didn't lose much money) but the guy I bought it from had worn it for years and believed it was real. I couldn't bring myself to tell him (though of course I would have had it been expensive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It’s not as bad as dung deal
    If only they removed the fakes as quick as they remove ticket scalpers

The ticket mod is online a lot and can act quickly. He has a real dislike of scalpers. He doesn't know a lot about watches, hence my suggestion you explain what's dodgy with an ad, don't just say FAKE. That way he can assist Homer when he is not online.

ELV1897 wrote: »
    (I think he was asking how do you know... just a hunch)

Exactly! 😀

The clasp looked a bit cheap in the pic but was curious how you could tell from the photos and description it’s fake. What about the other watches that seller has up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Is there anything to be said for Adverts also removing ads where the photo is so bad it's actually impossible to tell if the watch is real or not?!

I’d prefer to politely tell the seller that better photos would help the sale of whatever the item is. You can usually tell if people are being disingenuous and deliberately trying to hide a fake/replica. Had one particular seller with very good feedback that kept listing replica watches that they had photoshopped out the logo on!

Homer wrote: »
    I’d prefer to politely tell the seller that better photos would help the sale of whatever the item is. You can usually tell if people are being disingenuous and deliberately trying to hide a fake/replica. Had one particular seller with very good feedback that kept listing replica watches that they had photoshopped out the logo on!

Fair enough. Though the ones I really can't stand are the ads that insult our intelligence:

"Covered in scratches and dents which as any real watch collector knows adds character and increases the resale value"

!!!!!

There was an Omega constellation removed today. Was watching add and there was a zillion notification but it's gone now? What was the story.....I thought the seller was ok? Do I need to recalibrate and add him to the naughty list?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Oris with Made in India at bottom of dial, chances are the rusted tatty movement is a Chinese clone.

http://www.adverts.ie/14480710

All that sellers watches are suspect cobbled together c##p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Oris with Made in India at bottom of dial, chances are the rusted tatty movement is a Chinese clone.

Love the last comment on that watch:)
    Quick question: what does the writing on the dial say, just under the number 6? I just can't quite read it. Thanks!

Yup. Scumbag seller. Same movement picture on the two oris for sale and on the the last two oris in his sold adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

Looks ok to me, would request a better picture of the case back though.

• Advertisement

... but best keep that secret

Is that not the point of the thread, to tell? :confused:

Ballsy putting an exhibition case back on a fake!

Advertisement