Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Future of Longwave 252kHz (RTE Radio 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Longwave is amazing good value for money but RTE pretend it's some sort of severe burden. What about the real waste in RTE? Some years ago, (around the same time that MW 567 & 729 were closed down) they spent millions of Euros to recruit Colin Hayes from the independent radio sector, Mr Hayes never had any impact on ratings for them but what do they do in the weeks after they announce the closure of lw in 2014? They repeat the exact mistakes of the past by spending millions of euros to recruit Ray D'Arcy who like Colin Hayes has gone on to have no impact on ratings

If the RTE presenter lineup is this bad why do you even want to listen to it? Why would anybody want to listen it, and in LW also just to add to your misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

More Music wrote: »
    If the RTE presenter lineup is this bad why do you even want to listen to it? Why would anybody want to listen it, and in LW also just to add to your misery.

There are sports and religious programs broadcast on LW which aren't broadcast on FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

my3cents wrote: »
    There are sports and religious programs broadcast on LW which aren't broadcast on FM.

Because there's not enough demand for them at home, let alone for a practically immeasurably small listenership overseas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

my3cents wrote:

Well in that case please increase my tax-burden so we can continue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Some who shout down the diaspora benefitted through their funding of the education system in the early sixties etc amounting to over €13M- brown envelopes of a different kind.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel now. RTÉ Radio is available to all of the UK on satellite television and also the internet. Not everyone who listens to RTÉ in the UK or indeed Ireland is a technophobe.
    my3cents wrote: »
    Well I have older relatives who have just given up on technology. No point telling them how easy it is they have been thwarted by it so many times, they aren't going to be bothering anymore. I find that annoying but that's the way it is.

Help them with the new technology. No point in telling them it is easy. Show them. My grandmother was able to navigate the Sky EPG after being shown how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

How many people exactly will this be affecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

How many people exactly will this be affecting?

Probably a few hundred.
    The surveys carried out by the campaigners were loaded in their favour and can't be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Probably a few hundred.
    The surveys carried out by the campaigners were loaded in their favour and can't be trusted.

Source?

I'm still trying to figure out who Colin Hayes is. He was mentioned in an earlier post by the OP :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

lertsnim wrote: »
    . RTÉ Radio is available to all of the UK on satellite television and also the internet. ow.

How does one listen to satellite television while driving ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »

You don't. Great question.

I doubt the demographic in question is driving cars.

Banjoxed wrote:
    Source?

Source for what?
    A source of mine in RTE reckons that only a few hundred people listen to LW going by response.

I doubt the demographic in question is driving cars.

I listen to 252 in the car because RTE's FM signal is patchy where I live and DAB is non existent.

I have satellite DAB DTT and internet in the house

Not all 252 listeners fit into the elderly/lonely/vunerable/uncomfortable with technology stereotype on the other hand some elderly people still drive.

I dont figure in RTE's stats since as how I dont live in mainland Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

What the hell is Rtel W252? It sounds like a brand of modem

What the hell is Rtel W252?m

RTE Radio's long wave radio service on 252 KHz which some pen pushers want to kill off despite none of the replacement technologies being as versatile or reliable.

Prior to killing it off theyre running it at a fraction of its authorised power in order to convince people that the resultant poor reception is down to inherent flaws in the LW medium

I listen to 252 in the car because RTE's FM signal is patchy where I live and DAB is non existent.

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you're driving in that doesn't have a signal? I'm curious as to where the blackspots are.

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you're driving inre.

In much of County Antrim RTE's FM signal is poor to non existent. However in parts of Co. Derry its often stronger than the BBC or local stations

• Registered Users Posts: 27 savelongwave

LW252 listenership survey carried out by Ethics Dep Middlesex University and involved 3,000+ respondents. So many responded that extra staff had to be hired.

Digital television was successful because it was cheap to execute with a small cheap box connected to existing televisions and offered more channels. There was a quantum leap in quality easily visible. Replacing the multi use radio modes is far different which offer continuos listening throughout house and garden and on the move OVER VERY LONG DISTANCES THE SAME STATION CAN BE HEAARD EVEN INTERNATIONALLY. DAB DOES NOT OFFER THIS AND YET THEY DECIDE TO "DRIVE" US TOWARDS IT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Digital television was successful because it was cheap to execute with a small cheap box connected to existing televisions and offered more channels. There was a quantum leap in quality easily visible. Replacing the multi use radio modes is far different which offer continuos listening throughout house and garden and on the move OVER VERY LONG DISTANCES THE SAME STATION CAN BE HEAARD EVEN INTERNATIONALLY. DAB DOES NOT OFFER THIS AND YET THEY DECIDE TO "DRIVE" US TOWARDS IT.

WiFi or 3G/4G mobile internet with an app or an internet radio is NOT DAB.

If you can get internet access, which you can pretty much everywhere, you can listen to RTE radio.

You keep arguing as though this is 1970. It's not. LW broadcasting for a national broadcaster like RTE for a SMALL listenership overseas is a WASTE OF MONEY.

Kill it off.

. DAB DOES NOT OFFER THIS AND YET THEY DECIDE TO "DRIVE" US TOWARDS IT.

DAB is not even available in the Western half of the Republic of Ireland and RTE's DAB signal doesnt reach into NI (with the possible exception of south Armagh/Down ?) at all and coverage outside Ireland is virtually zero (bar maybe the odd mountain top in Wales ?)

So theyre driving people towards something which doesnt exist.

What the pen pushers fail to grasp is that these new technologies should compliment rather than replace existing platforms.

Theyre the ones who are ignorant regarding technology.

DAB is not even available in the Western half of the Republic of Ireland and RTE's DAB signal doesnt reach into NI (with the possible exception of south Armagh/Down ?) at all and coverage outside Ireland is virtually zero (bar maybe the odd mountain top in Wales ?)

What the pen pushers fail to grasp is that these new technologies should compliment rather than replace existing platforms.

Theyre the ones who are ignorant regarding technology.

As most of the country cannot receive DAB, RTE are not pushing people towards it. FM is the preferred platform.

LW and AM in general is largely redundant. Filling in the blackspots in the FM network should be their priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

WE MOST STOP THIS.
    Must we?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RTE have been discussing lauching a diaspora TV service on Sky or Freesat. Why not a diaspora radio service on UK DAB, would allow them to sell local advertising to defray some of the carriage costs, and would probably attract listeners who currently don't listen to LW because of the poor sound quality (or because they don't even know it exists)...

RTE has produced some excellent programmes on our emigrants and one understands the financial pressure broadcasters are

under with fragmentation of audiences etc but RTE executives are out of touch on the LW252 issue.

There must be no switch off of LW 252 until a suitable replacement exists.

UK attempted to turn off FM and had to postpone after two attempts.

Digital has been a leap forward connecting us together via the internet to share ideas and broaden

opportunities but the internet cannot replace a long distance service covering these islands be it BBC

Droitwich or RTE Summerhill.

Digital TV freed up channels that are now used for DAB.

These high frequencies originally used as tv channels do not travel far needing many more transmitters than FM.

so who is going to pay for all these new transmitter sites ?

In the UK some DAB multiplexes (transmitters) have been overloaded with extra services meaning MW mono quality.

FM provides consistent fidelity and cannot be tampered with by broadcasters as a means of making money by shoehorning in more programmes that the system was originally intended to carry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not driving people towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

the elderly, the lonely, the sick and the isolated, a disgusting attack on our diaspora and on rural Ireland.
    I understand that the elderly and the isolated may not have access to the internet, smart phones, etc. bar LW radio, but what's preventing the other groups that you mention above from switching to other channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

loyatemu wrote: »
    RTE have been discussing lauching a diaspora TV service on Sky or Freesat. Why not a diaspora radio service on UK DAB, would allow them to sell local advertising to defray some of the carriage costs, and would probably attract listeners who currently don't listen to LW because of the poor sound quality (or because they don't even know it exists)...

They did try to get onto DAB during the last round of licensing over there, but were not successful.

Despite the propaganda, RTE are doing their best to provide services to the Irish community abroad. It's just that LW is a really, really bad way to achieve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

long range LW and MW is of course potentially most of value in vehicles, but one major negative for the LW campaign is the removal of LW coverage on the car radios of leading car brands on 'these Islands' over the past number of years: Toyota, VW, Opel/Vauxhall and others all don't cover LW nowadays.

RTE R1 listeners in FM-less areas of NI, and Britain are not going to complain about the potential loss of this if they already lost it when they replaced their car, and have other options to listen at home/workplace.

Advertisement