Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Russia visa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I have had my passport checked getting on trains and buses in Russia. I had a full visa so had no problems.

I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    I'm also very curious about this, as would love to go to St Petersburg (fly in and out of there) but also visit Moscow for 2-3 days. I understand that going to Moscow airport would be a no-no, but would your papers/passport/visa really be checked if you just took a train, or even a bus to another city outside of your technical limits? I would imagine not, but I have no experience with Russia, so I would be very grateful if someone could inform us. I have already checked online and technically you cannot, but again as long as you fly in and out of the same place, would anyone know any different? Is it something to do with registering with hotels I wonder? Would it even be worth enforcing this for the Russian authorities?

Of course for the Kaliningrad e-visa, it makes sense that you can't go anywhere else, as it is completely landlocked, but this is not the case for St Petersburg.

No hotel would take you without the proper paperwork.

Have you been living under a rock and never seen a single film or TV programme or read a book about Russia? They love documents. They love checking them. They want to know where you are. They love to enforce their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dohouch wrote: »
    This new evisa is free with no consular visit necessary , and is ready in 4 days including weekend s. Unbelievable🀪

It's only for St. Petersburg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Have you been living under a rock and never seen a single film or TV programme or read a book about Russia? They love documents. They love checking them. They want to know where you are. They love to enforce their rules.

Having been the Russia recently this is spot on. Don't think they won't be bothered to enforce it, Russia is very bureaucratic. They are very particular about documents. You need your passport and migration card to check-in to hotels. Your passport is also checked on long-distance trains.

The visa includes Leningrad Oblast as well so you can travel slightly outside St Petersburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    I'm also very curious about this, as would love to go to St Petersburg (fly in and out of there) but also visit Moscow for 2-3 days. I understand that going to Moscow airport would be a no-no, but would your papers/passport/visa really be checked if you just took a train, or even a bus to another city outside of your technical limits? I would imagine not, but I have no experience with Russia, so I would be very grateful if someone could inform us. I have already checked online and technically you cannot, but again as long as you fly in and out of the same place, would anyone know any different? Is it something to do with registering with hotels I wonder? Would it even be worth enforcing this for the Russian authorities?

Of course for the Kaliningrad e-visa, it makes sense that you can't go anywhere else, as it is completely landlocked, but this is not the case for St Petersburg.

I wouldnt risk it either, it is pretty common for the Russian army to board a train and ask everyone for their papers. They absolutely love paperwork and bureaucracy and they're so paranoid that if your visa wasnt in order and you were caught in Moscow they'd immediately think you're a spy and its up to you to prove otherwise. That way lies several weeks in prison and then you'll get shafted with an expensive flight home.

As for hotels not sure, but I know some hostels do play fast and loose with the rules as the army dont check up on what foreigner is staying where unless something goes wrong- then they check it retrospectively. In theory you could do it but the consequences of getting caught far outweigh the benefits and if you took a train or bus from Peterburg to Moscow it is highly likely you would be caught.

Not sure why the whole visa issue puts people off going to Russia. Yeah its not easy to get one but its not like its impossible either, you just need to plan it in advance and have all your ducks all lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I saw police checking passports and visas on the street and in the metro stations in St Petersburg so yeah I wouldn't risk travelling outside the designated visa zone.

St Petersburg has been visa free for a while but you had to enter and leave by cruise line from Helsinki, Tallinn and Stockholm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Muahahaha wrote: »

Not sure why the whole visa issue puts people off going to Russia. Yeah its not easy to get one but its not like its impossible either, you just need to plan it in advance and have all your ducks all lined up.

My lil'ol brain just disconnect s when visa process is verging on Kafkaesque, and it's not like Russia is the promised land, flowing with milk and honey.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Thanks for all the replies. It seems pretty clear therefore it wouldn't be a good idea to head to Moscow when only in possession of an e-visa for the St Petersburg region. I can only claim ignorance through never having been there before.

Ok no problem, so basically this time round only St Petersburg or wait for the e-visa for the whole of Russia in two years, that's where I stand now.

Thanks again for all the help, it's great how I can get such a quick and precise answer within a few hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

I may still do, although I really have to decide by tomorrow in terms of this holiday, plus I have a few other options. I will decide what to do in the next 24 hours.

dohouch wrote: »
    My lil'ol brain just disconnect s when visa process is verging on Kafkaesque, and it's not like Russia is the promised land, flowing with milk and honey.

yeah its an annoying process, on that I agree. But Moscow and Petersburg are both great cities and when you're there you'll feel the visa process was worth the hoops they made you jump through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah its an annoying process, on that I agree. But Moscow and Petersburg are both great cities and when you're there you'll feel the visa process was worth the hoops they made you jump through.

Because of this thread i thing I will pull the trigger on St. Petersburg in January. €155 for return ticket. Lufthansa with short stopover in Frankfurt. Friday-Sunday. 2 full days in St. Petersburg. Do you think it's enough time?

Always wanted to see Russia in winter and St. Petersburg sounds better than gulag :)

If you can stretch to three full days then do that. But with two full days you can still see all the highlights.

Also it is January so check the typical temperatures and dress for it. Be aware that it will be dark very early that far up north. I would look up what daylight hours you can expect before booking as this could inhibit sightseeing. I know the middle of Finland only gets around 4-5 hours daylight in Janruary. Petersburg likely similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

I'm thinking of heading to moscow for new year, is it straight forward to get a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

ebayissues wrote: »
    I'm thinking of heading to moscow for new year, is it straight forward to get a visa?

From a recent post of mine: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111309905&postcount=6

Visa information from Russian consulate in Dublin: http://dublin.kdmid.ru/en.aspx?lst=en&it=/Applying%20for%20a%20visa.aspx

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I booked flights to St. Petersburg. I'll give the evisa a go. I always wanted to visit Russia but the visa/invitation put me off.

On the russia embassy website, where it says what institution are you going to visit, the dropdown menu says Travel company. Is this the address of this website https://visatoruss.com/?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The link is in the first post.

The link is in the first post.

Is that applicable if you are gooing to Moscow?

Is that applicable if you are gooing to Moscow?

No, you will have to apply in person at the embassy if you're going to Moscow.

No, you will have to apply in person at the embassy in you're going to Moscow.

Soory, jut a bit confused, I thought I had to follow the process mentioned in the link below

http://dublin.kdmid.ru/en.aspx?lst=en&it=/Applying%20for%20a%20visa.aspx

• Advertisement

Soory, jut a bit confused, I thought I had to follow the process mentioned in the link below

That link only applies if you're entering Russia through an entry point in Kaliningrad or St. Petersburg (not applicable to rail entry points), as I understand it.

That link only applies if you're entering Russia through an entry point in Kaliningrad or St. Petersburg, as I understand it.

My bad, so I need to get an invitation letter from the visatoruss website, have postal order, a photograph, passport and go to the embassy?

My bad, so I need to get an invitation letter from the visatoruss website, have postal order, a photograph, passport and go to the embassy?

Ya, I think for Moscow you'll need to do it the usual way, embassy visit for visa application and letter of invitation. Not sure where you get the letter of invitation. VG31 described the process of getting a visa the normal way in a link in their above post.

My apologies, that link is correct if you're going to Moscow and will be applying for a visa through the embassy. The link had a similar address to the one in the first post. Sorry for the confusion.

Guys,

Can someone please answer me tonight.

Does the Russian embassy take your passport?

I was meant to get my visa today butt couldn't find my passport. Now thinking if I left it with the Russian embassy.

Guys,

Can someone please answer me tonight.

Does the Russian embassy take your passport?

I was meant to get my visa today butt couldn't find my passport. Now thinking if I left it with the Russian embassy.

From what I remember you leave your passport with them and they put the visa on to one of the pages in it and you collect it a few days after

From what I remember you leave your passport with them and they put the visa on to one of the pages in it and you collect it a few days after

Thank you. I've searched the whole house and played a million simulations as to where the passport could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this. I'm currently looking at flights with Aeroflot with 14 hour layover. I think there's a transit visa I can get that costs a little less? It's just so I can take a quick peek around Moscow.

Going to the embassy would be a bit of a pain as I don't live in Dublin so maybe a visa company might be better? Or if I have to go to the embassy anyway it may not be worth it.

I'm not long back from Russia and went on the eVisa. The process of applying for the evisa was mostly straightforward. It was very quick, I think the eVisa was approved in about 3 days. Uploading the photo was frustrating though. I got passport size photos taken at a machine and scanned them. When you uploaded your photo your face had to fit within the dimensions of a template that appeared over your face. I thought it was very fussy and it took me ages to get it to accept the photo. I took a photo on my phone of the physical photo and eventually got it to accept that.

My eVisa arrived in the form of a PDF. The PDF would preview fine on my phone but it wouldn't open. Don't know why that was the case. It opened fine on a laptop though. I brought a printed copy of the eVisa with me on my trip.

Arrival in St. Petersburg went smoothly. There were loads of immigration desks open and it only took about 10 minutes to get through. I gave my passport and eVisa printout to the border official and she stamped my passport. She also loosely put a slip of paper in it. I think it was like those old green forms you filled out going to the US and part of it got stapled into your passport. The border guard had no English at all but I got the feeling you shouldn't lose the passport insert. The slip of paper was taken out of my passport upon leaving Russia.

Your hotel will also ask you for your eVisa upon check in so keep it handy.

I have Ukrainian stamps in my passport too and nothing was said about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

How difficult is it to obtain a Visa if someone wanted to drive into Russia ?

Advertisement