Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC Radio Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Wouldn't surprise me if Nick Grimshaw becomes Hits Radio Manchester's new breakfast host, after all he is from the Manc area. I know he swapped shows with Greg last year but I have a feeling that was only to see him until the end of his contract.

Question: I listen to Radio 4 but find it difficult to navigate the abundance of choices of shows, especially musical shows, across the other BBC stations.

Looking for arts programmes (no radio dramas though, please!) and musical programmes with content that you might come across on the John Creedon Show. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Question: I listen to Radio 4 but find it difficult to navigate the abundance of choices of shows, especially musical shows, across the other BBC stations.

Looking for arts programmes (no radio dramas though, please!) and musical programmes with content that you might come across on the John Creedon Show. Any suggestions?

Many programmes on R2 in the evening that mirror John Creedon's show, unfortunately on at around the same time. Jo Wiley and Trevor Nelson both have a diverse playlist (Trevor is more orientated towards rhythm and blues).
    As for arts shows, one cannot ignore Kermode and Mayo's film review show on R5 on Fridays available as a podcast.

Have a look at the BBC Sounds page, unfortunately the Sounds App is not available to download outside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Radio 2 publishes their playlist for each programme. The other networks probably do the same, but I did not check.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005v4v

Steve Wright does 2.5 hours Monday to Friday, and 2 hours on a Sunday. The BBC do not give full salary details, but he is in the band £500K to £550K. He takes a lot of holidays, so I estimate that the UK taxpayer is giving him around £900 for every hour he spends on air.

Not too bad, but well below the 2 million Chris Evans was on, before he got a better offer from the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This isn't relevant to your request (sorry) but it did remind me of this site which lists all comedy shows on UK radio by day (Almost entirely BBC Radio based)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kirsty Young has announced she is stepping down as host of desert island discs permanently. As we know she stepped down recently due to illness. She said in the statement released by the BBC press office that while she's well on her way to recovery, the time away has given her a new perspective on things. Lauren Laverne it seems will get the gig permanently now.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Kirsty Young has announced she is stepping down as host of desert island discs permanently. As we know she stepped down recently due to illness. She said in the statement released by the BBC press office that while she's well on her way to recovery, the time away has given her a new perspective on things. Lauren Laverne it seems will get the gig permanently now.

The R4 fans on the Facebook forum won’t be happy. They seem to have a great dislike for the alleged lightweight Ms. Laverne.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

cml387 wrote: »
    Many programmes on R2 in the evening that mirror John Creedon's show, unfortunately on at around the same time. Jo Wiley and Trevor Nelson both have a diverse playlist (Trevor is more orientated towards rhythm and blues).
    As for arts shows, one cannot ignore Kermode and Mayo's film review show on R5 on Fridays available as a podcast.

Have a look at the BBC Sounds page, unfortunately the Sounds App is not available to download outside the UK.

We have untrammeled access to the BBC Radio iPlayer app here.

I find, by far, the most eclectic music show going is Gideon Coe, BBC6 Music, 21:00-00:00 Mon-Thurs. I also listen to Marc Riley. They're my 2 perennials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072l9v/episodes/player

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c72y1/episodes/player

And, BBC Sounds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The R4 fans on the Facebook forum won’t be happy. They seem to have a great dislike for the alleged lightweight Ms. Laverne.

Harsh but some truth in that. Maybe she'll grow into the role. A hard act to follow. Wonder what Kirsty will do now.

BTW "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" is back. Some very funny segments in the first two recent episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

cml387 wrote: »

It can be easily found and downloaded, just not through the bbc website.

Great little app and unlike the old radio player one the app doesn't need to be updated every few days.
    Try googling
    'bbc sounds app apk'

use the sounds app

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone listening to ISIHAC? Nearly all the old guard are gone or semi-retired which is sad but inevitable. That said still funny with a few cracking 'pick up song' rounds.

Anyone listening to ISIHAC? Nearly all the old guard are gone or semi-retired which is sad but inevitable. That said still funny with a few cracking 'pick up song' rounds.

I don't think it really survived the death of Humphrey Littleton.

He was so deadpan that he gave the impression that he was just reading out the lines for the money and that the whole thing was an insult to him as a performer.

Stephen Nolan cut off a caller this morning on Radio Ulster, telling him to look at anger management for the things in his head. Listen at 55 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0008nrm

Talk Back on Radio Ulster spent the first hour with a BBC journalist plugging his BBC documentary about his BBC journalist father.

Earlier on Stephen Nolan spent most of his hour and a half, trying to stoke up interest in a Sinn Fein Brits Out poster which was displayed at a Queens freshers week event. A couple of callers told him to find something more important to discuss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008w59

The BBC journalist Louis Theroux has a book out, and just by coincidence he got a full hour on BBC 5 Live this week to talk about it. He also made it on to Radio 4 Loose Ends, and will probably appear in other programmes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07p8r21

Another BBC journalist, Simon Reeve is doing a theatre tour about his life story. BBC Graham Norton show had him on to talk about it. The BBC know how to look after their own when it comes to plugging.

I don't think John Humphries' book got much publicity on the BBC though.

No, they don't like it up 'em. It's Humphrys, good old Welsh name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No, they don't like it up 'em. It's Humphrys, good old Welsh name.

I read that he was known around the place as LWC.

Little

Welsh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

How are people finding Lauren Laverne on Desert Island Discs?

I Like Lauren on R6 but I feel she doesn't really suit this show at all.

Humphrys was on with Steve Wright today plugging his book. Last week Romesh Ranganathan was doing the rounds on the BBC plugging his book. He is not the only one to get a job for a member of his family on the BBC.

• Advertisement

I think the BBC reached a new high or low this week in the book plugging stakes. The two stars of This Country were on The One Show and Steve Wright, probably others, plugging their book. They are brother and sister. In one episode they brought in their father for a "cameo role", and surprise surprise he turned out to be brilliant, and is now a regular. In recognition of his amazing talents, they gave him a whole chapter in the book.

Simon Reeve is still getting his plugs in. He was on Saturday Live, Radio 4 this morning.

The This Country duo were on Loose Ends this evening.

The This Country duo were on Loose Ends this evening.

Every broadcasting organisation in the world cross promote their own shows

Complete non story

Skid X wrote: »
    Every broadcasting organisation in the world cross promote their own shows

Complete non story

They are on the BBC promoting their book. Different story.

Rhod sharp is hanging up his microphone as host of up all night on BBC radio 5 live on April the 2nd, 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

i loved listening to Rhod years ago, I thought in the past 4 or 5 years it was all very similar, as in the same guests and spokespeople on at the same time on the same day(s) each week,

Or maybe that was me just listening too often

Ian Wright's Desert Island Discs episode was very well received this weekend.

I really enjoyed it, great insight into the man and his life.

The DID format is timeless, I know Lauren isn't to everyone's taste but I think she is doing a fine job as the interviewer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fdxw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

50 Things That Made the Modern Economy: Auctions is on World Service at the moment.

Always enjoy that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A recent BBC Radio 2 "Friday Night is Music Night" concert featured the songs of Burt Bacharach - the man himself with Joss Stone stepping in for duets.
    Available until end of February:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000dshv

Great version of The Look of Love, it's also up on Youtube:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

What are people's opinions on the bbc sounds app compared to the bbc iplayer radio app which was discontinued at the end of October for us non uk listeners ? I’d used it on a pc and I liked it and there are some nice features where you can pick up listening to a show you had been listening to. You have to register to use it. Anyway I’m listening to Sara cox from yesterday evening on her all request Friday on radio 2 and it’s just good wireless.

Advertisement