Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial partnership with up and coming carpenter

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Any prototype yet?,

Its taking too long, we demand results:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

kadman wrote: »
    Any prototype yet?,

Its taking too long, we demand results:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4

Just set fire to it. The prototype, the thread, the time wasting BS from a Walter Mitty businessman with his idea and his notions.

Next time some randomer comes in here looking to benefit off the back of others efforts, they should be set upon with the daggs. Boss.

:D:D:D:D

We dont want any arsonists here please, too much wood and accellerents in this forum:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Ease up guys. Has no one else had a business idea fail?

I have - bigtime - and it sucks.

You start full of passion, you invest time, effort and money, you get others involved and passionately sell the idea to them, and they join you investing their personal time, effort and potentially money too. Months / years / decades can be consumed by that process.

Then like the vast majority of startups it fails for whatever reason.

Perhaps it has worked and Ben no longer wants to discuss it here and perhaps it fell on its face like most startups do and he's having to deal with that.

If the existence of the thread is irksome just delete it.

• Advertisement

I'm all for giving a guy a fair break, a hand up or a dig out.

Things may or may not have worked out for him. All sorts of things could have gone for or against. That's life, business, the nature of trying to create something out of (obviously, in the OP's case) nothing.

All that said and with respect to you Chilly and the others who have thrown in good advice and lent their experience to the OP, Granny's old saying about it costing nothing to be polite ring true here. He asked, we gave, he showed a lack of common courtesy in return.

With any luck, nobody here got mixed up with this fella who "strongly believe(s) that partnerships with suppliers should be mutually beneficial"

It seems mutually beneficial doesn't quite extend to being polite, engaging and showing due consideration for those who took an interest and contributed to his enterprise. That's more than irksome to be fair - It smacks of disengenuous postering, lack of integrity and little to earn the trust he goes on the espouse he values.

As said before, good luck to Ben, but keep in mind that when you solicit input you're also inviting critical input, not just the things you want to be told.

In all fairness, common courtesy costs nothing, and a heads up on the process is not a lot to ask,
    or expect after all the input posters gave on the process.

As I made clear at the outset with Ben on the topic of this post, I was reluctant from the start as I
    did not want to see any youngster starting out, end up getting burned. We messaged at length on this
    before I allowed it.

I would at least like to know that did not happen, and its why I was anxious to see the prototype. I was lucky enough to see
    the initial brief of the prototype required. It was a simple item, and could be produced in a couple of days.
    Not requiring exceptional skills, maybe a small bit of ingenuity and thinking outside the box..

I was going to offer my services, but the resume required a young and up and coming carpenter.
    And being a grissly old git I could never have passed the first hurdle due to my lack of youth.:D

And no I wont be deleting this thread. Ben asked for advice, opinions ect.
    Thats what he got, and if he is upset, or anyone else is about opinions given,
    good bad or indifferent. Well he or anyone else can take that up with Judge Judy.
    This is what a forum is about, exchange of views and opinions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

I'd say in all likelyhood the OP is simply not looking here,
    prodding at an empty space is all ye are at,
    tim

I'd say in all likelyhood the OP is simply not looking here,
    prodding at an empty space is all ye are at,
    tim

Well its not empty now Tim, aren't you his chosen one:P

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

kadman wrote: »
    Well its not empty now Tim, aren't you his chosen one:P

Like I said, proddin at empty space, a lifetime expert at procrastination proddin will get ye nowhere, slowly slowly catchee monkey...

In the workshop again tomorrow, finished a lovely beehive today,

might even plow a groove or two on the bit o furniture i got half built on the bench too..

tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ease up guys. Has no one else had a business idea fail?

I have - bigtime - and it sucks.

You start full of passion, you invest time, effort and money, you get others involved and passionately sell the idea to them, and they join you investing their personal time, effort and potentially money too. Months / years / decades can be consumed by that process.

Then like the vast majority of startups it fails for whatever reason.

Perhaps it has worked and Ben no longer wants to discuss it here and perhaps it fell on its face like most startups do and he's having to deal with that.

If the existence of the thread is irksome just delete it.

Would agree, this is a casual forum, not a consultancy firm. If someone drops in and looks for advise, it’s up to posters to decide if they want to contribute or not. And they must do that on the basis that they may get nothing in return. Yes it would be nice to get an update, but there is no obligation for OP to come back.

If the OP doesn’t respond so be it, don’t think it reflects well on others when people are making sneery comments. There could be any number of genuine reasons for the radio silence. If anything I believe it will discourage other new posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BenvanNiekerk

It is lovely to see that my little idea has been getting some attention here, and it seems to be keeping you all entertained at the same time.

I've been rather busy with our battle against COVID-19 (I am in healthcare as well), and am currently assisting the HSE in setting up, opening, and running a vaccination clinic. This has obviously kept me very busy.
    Our priorities should be ensuring everyone is safe and cared for, and thus my personal business endeavours should rightly so take a back seat.

I am also not subscribed to any threads. I like to check in when I have a few minutes to spare, which has been few and far between the last couple of weeks. I am sure some of you might understand.

I've been hard at work with my little idea, and a ton has happened (usually between 5 and 7 am) since I last logged in.
    I worked with the business coach, and we've filled in most of the gaps I needed some advice on, and I am happy with how far the idea has come. On the coach's suggestions, I applied for a grant. The LEO enterprise team enjoyed the proposal and unique angle and offered me a feasibility grant. This is currently receiving my full attention when I have a moment spare.

To date, I have completed the business plan, project action planning, financial forecasts, created the website, identified and started consulting with partners, finished the brand development strategy and corporate identity. I also met with our legal representatives, and the 8 prototypes, designed by a designer/professional architect, have been completed.
    The first of these prototypes were delivered last night, and another will be completed by this weekend, however, rollout is slower than expected due to the pandemic. I'm also working with my CG animator partner to ensure the dimensions and aesthetics work before the prototypes are commissioned. This actually saves a considerable amount of time, effort, and cost, and has been a great strategy thus far.

Once these have all been completed, a full market study is due to start at the beginning of June, and this will give me a better idea of my projected forecast sales figures for the Irish market so that I can use these to better plan and roll out a quality product, on time, and on budget.
    Plans would then be to find our feet locally before I, hopefully, consider exporting in 2022.

I'll share the website URL in good time, however, I am obviously playing cards close to my chest and binding suppliers and partners with NDA's for the time being to ensure I keep the slight competitive advantage I believe this might have.

Thanks for your continued interest and support, and I look forward to sharing the successes (and the failures some of you expect, but which are also bound to happen), with you all as this idea progresses, or stalls, whichever it may be.

I might check in after another few weeks have passed, and perhaps see what entertainment I may have for you then.

Regards,

Ben

Hope things go well for you,
    K.

Advertisement