Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone tempted by the open water?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Yea I'd hate to be THAT unfit lol

I think I'd need to be strapped to a torpedo to get to that speed :o

Haha was thinking the same, I can swim 1.40's in pool but in the sea its 2.40's well I'm stopping a lot in the sea to see where I'm going but still I reckon i'm a good bit slower.

I have a toe float thing its great sometimes it get caught up in my arms though if waves blow it over my head in front of me , maybe i need to shorten the lead on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

new2tri19 wrote: »

I have a toe float thing its great sometimes it get caught up in my arms though if waves blow it over my head in front of me , maybe i need to shorten the lead on it.

The only time I find that happens is if I stop and breast stroke for a breather otherwise I'm fine with it.

I got a wetsuit this week, but I think its a size too big. Due to CV-19 I couldn't try it on in the shop, I've emailed them about it (Dublin store) and disappointingly they have read the mail but haven't replied. I'll try it again in Portmarnock this evening, but so far I'm not impressed by either the suit or the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Haha was thinking the same, I can swim 1.40's in pool but in the sea its 2.40's well I'm stopping a lot in the sea to see where I'm going but still I reckon i'm a good bit slower.

Practice sighting every 6 to 10 strokes, don't stop swimming. Integrate the sighting as.part of your stroke

audiRon wrote: »
    Practice sighting every 6 to 10 strokes, don't stop swimming. Integrate the sighting as.part of your stroke

Went out the beach tonight just went out to chest high water and swam to lifegaurd hut and back , really enjoyable. It was nice to know I could stand at any time so I got to work on my stroke and technique and sighting .
    These few little tips you gave me are a huge help thanks.
    I'll go back tomorrow now and set the watch up to laps and try do some speed work was happy to be around 2 mins per 100 for an easy swim tonight .

Went out the beach tonight just went out to chest high water and swam to lifegaurd hut and back , really enjoyable. It was nice to know I could stand at any time so I got to work on my stroke and technique and sighting .
    These few little tips you gave me are a huge help thanks.
    I'll go back tomorrow now and set the watch up to laps and try do some speed work was happy to be around 2 mins per 100 for an easy swim tonight .

Portmarnock?.

I was also out this evening, throwing a temper tantrum on the south beach.

I decided to give the wetsuit one last go but at 1km I threw the towel in. No matter how I adjusted it the suit is too big, I was like a water balloon bouncing around in the sea.

Rang the shop, returning it tomorrow and they're exchanging it.

Still got a 1k swim in, but very frustrating. I got changed back into my shorts just for a splash about at Low Rock, nothing too exciting but I didn't want to head home in a mood.

• Advertisement

Portmarnock?.

I was also out this evening, throwing a temper tantrum on the south beach.

I decided to give the wetsuit one last go but at 1km I threw the towel in. No matter how I adjusted it the suit is too big, I was like a water balloon bouncing around in the sea.

Rang the shop, returning it tomorrow and they're exchanging it.

Still got a 1k swim in, but very frustrating. I got changed back into my shorts just for a splash about at Low Rock, nothing too exciting but I didn't want to head home in a mood.

Yep on the beach there went from the tower end of the beach to second life guard hut and back just 1km building back into it slowly.
    The wetsuits are frustrating my new one was too tight at the neck had to cut it myself hard t get a right fit. Good that the shop are changing it for you.

Yep on the beach there went from the tower end of the beach to second life guard hut and back just 1km building back into it slowly.
    The wetsuits are frustrating my new one was too tight at the neck had to cut it myself hard t get a right fit. Good that the shop are changing it for you.

I'm wondering if I seen you (green cap?). I noticed a swimmer coming down towards the second guard hut as I was heading up beach, but my suit kept filling with water and the tide was taking me (like a water balloon) towards the beach, at which point I'd have to swim back out again.

My swim partner was saying I looked really pissed off and most of my time my body position was 45% just trying to stop me getting washed onto the beach. It was ridiculous.

All I could feel was cold water flushing through the suit, by the 1k mark I was swimming like I was fulled clothed in wet clothes. We had intended on 2k but I just called it quits.

The suit isn't important at the moment, the sea temps are grand for an hour but with my gym pool (Northwood) not re opening for winter training I want to get things sorted before that time comes.

So you came down to the south beach. I find the sand bank there makes it a little choppier than the Martello end, but it was a nice evening for a swim all the same.

I'm wondering if I seen you (green cap?). I noticed a swimmer coming down towards the second guard hut as I was heading up beach, but my suit kept filling with water and the tide was taking me (like a water balloon) towards the beach, at which point I'd have to swim back out again.

My swim partner was saying I looked really pissed off and most of my time my body position was 45% just trying to stop me getting washed onto the beach. It was ridiculous.

All I could feel was cold water flushing through the suit, by the 1k mark I was swimming like I was fulled clothed in wet clothes. We had intended on 2k but I just called it quits.

The suit isn't important at the moment, the sea temps are grand for an hour but with my gym pool (Northwood) not re opening for winter training I want to get things sorted before that time comes.

So you came down to the south beach. I find the sand bank there makes it a little choppier than the Martello end, but it was a nice evening for a swim all the same.

I started at Martello tower and swam to 2nd lifegaurd hut and turned and swam back , I couldn't figure which way was easier . I was out there at 8.30pm didn't have a green hat no , was wearing a black one need to get a high vis hat but did have a big inflatable tow float with me bright orange.

The sea was grand temperature I'm going to go back today and swim a bit longer might do 2k and break it down into sets of hard swimming. I must say you just need a few little pointers to make a big difference to the swim.

Hopefully you get the suit sorted , I might bump into you out there some evening.

I started at Martello tower and swam to 2nd lifegaurd hut and turned and swam back , I couldn't figure which way was easier . I was out there at 8.30pm didn't have a green hat no , was wearing a black one need to get a high vis hat but did have a big inflatable tow float with me bright orange.

The sea was grand temperature I'm going to go back today and swim a bit longer might do 2k and break it down into sets of hard swimming. I must say you just need a few little pointers to make a big difference to the swim.

Hopefully you get the suit sorted , I might bump into you out there some evening.

I was home by that time.
    I had planned on going to Tower Beach in Portrane earlier but got a terrible nights sleep due to a neighbors dog barking, so I've wasted a morning but will likely get up this evening.

The suit, I won't mention the shop just yet but I spoke with the lad on the phone yesterday and he assured me that once the suit wasn't damaged he'd look after me in exchange for another, we'll see, I always expect these things to go belly up.

I might treat myself to a new pair of goggles while I'm down there. The goggles I use but be easily 15 yrs old, they're not leaky or anything but the lens aren't as clear as they were, and well... I just feel like a treat lol

Now, credit where credit is due.

Pure Magic in Clontarf is where I bought the suit. With C19 restrictions there were mistakes with the original purchase, everyone were being served at the door and I couldn't be brought in for a fitment. I was wearing a hood with a jacket under it when I called in first, a guess was made and I was given a suit too big.

But I PM's them on facebook and I was asked to come back to the shop. I went back yesterday, the lad closed the shop and gave me his undivided attention in fitting me for the suit, I dropped from a XXXL to an XL lol

Its a budget suit, tbh I was treated like the best customer he was going to have yesterday.

So I'm looking forward to trying it out in Portmarnock this evening, not looking forward to dragging the thing on lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Once you get used to skins you will never go back to a wetsuit. It can be hard at the start but might be worth a try, it is well worth it imo

radharc wrote: »
    Once you get used to skins you will never go back to a wetsuit. It can be hard at the start but might be worth a try, it is well worth it imo

I'm swimming years in skins and have just recently decided to splash out [get it] on the wetsuit.

Tbh I'm not entirely sure about it, its not what I thought it might be and I certainly miss some of the experience of the sun and sea on my body, and that nice feeling you have afterwards.

I usually train the winter months in Northwood gym, but they're not reopening their pool after lockdown so I just thought it might be an idea to try the wetsuit to get a few more weeks into the autumn.

Having used the suit for a few swims in the last 10 days I'm looking forward to skins again, but it won't be for a few days. I usually get an odd rotator cuff injury flair up on my right shoulder but I'm in agony in the last few hours with my left shoulder so I'll be out of the water until that calms down.

Anyway happy thoughts, yesterday evening was just about perfect. Got a really enjoyable 1.7k and only came in because the sun was setting behind the dunes :)

I'm swimming years in skins and have just recently decided to splash out [get it] on the wetsuit.

Tbh I'm not entirely sure about it, its not what I thought it might be and I certainly miss some of the experience of the sun and sea on my body, and that nice feeling you have afterwards.

I usually train the winter months in Northwood gym, but they're not reopening their pool after lockdown so I just thought it might be an idea to try the wetsuit to get a few more weeks into the autumn.

Having used the suit for a few swims in the last 10 days I'm looking forward to skins again, but it won't be for a few days. I usually get an odd rotator cuff injury flair up on my right shoulder but I'm in agony in the last few hours with my left shoulder so I'll be out of the water until that calms down.

Anyway happy thoughts, yesterday evening was just about perfect. Got a really enjoyable 1.7k and only came in because the sun was setting behind the dunes :)

I was down there last night myself came in at same time when sun was setting behind dunes was glorious . I've just been doing 1k a day as I get back into it , but hung around a bit longer to practice some drills.
    Swam tower to 2nd lifegaurd hut as back definitely quicker each night from tower to hut than vice versa .
    I was hoping to go back down tonight but not sure if your supposed to go with thunderstorms forecast.

I was down there last night myself came in at same time when sun was setting behind dunes was glorious . I've just been doing 1k a day as I get back into it , but hung around a bit longer to practice some drills.
    Swam tower to 2nd lifegaurd hut as back definitely quicker each night from tower to hut than vice versa .
    I was hoping to go back down tonight but not sure if your supposed to go with thunderstorms forecast.

I'm just home from the doctor, my shoulder was just too bad and my son insisted on bringing me. I've had a shot of Difene and a shot of Valium, so feeling a little dopey from the Valium & plan on hitting the sack for an hour or two.

I'll be out of the water for the rest of the week.

Anyway back to last night, yea it was brilliant. And something I was thinking about, I run and cycle too but its rare you'll get a nod from a cyclist but it does happen but never from another runner but I'd chatted to a good many swimmer who might be catching a breather and its always nice.

Only lads I seen training on the beach was an English chap in an Orca suit and a lad, black cap and back tattoo.. I was swimming with a training partner, I'd a lovely swim and she got her longest sea swim yet at 1800m.

I got a few nice photos too, I'll resize them and post later

I'm just home from the doctor, my shoulder was just too bad and my son insisted on bringing me. I've had a shot of Difene and a shot of Valium, so feeling a little dopey from the Valium & plan on hitting the sack for an hour or two.

I'll be out of the water for the rest of the week.

Anyway back to last night, yea it was brilliant. And something I was thinking about, I run and cycle too but its rare you'll get a nod from a cyclist but it does happen but never from another runner but I'd chatted to a good many swimmer who might be catching a breather and its always nice.

Only lads I seen training on the beach was an English chap in an Orca suit and a lad, black cap and back tattoo.. I was swimming with a training partner, I'd a lovely swim and she got her longest sea swim yet at 1800m.

I got a few nice photos too, I'll resize them and post later

That was me black cap and back tattoo, I can't say I noticed too many people seen a woman with a tow float no wetsuit and someone else swimming towards the Tower with a wetsuit and tow float.
    Hopefully the shoulder heals up soon.

That was me black cap and back tattoo, I can't say I noticed too many people seen a woman with a tow float no wetsuit and someone else swimming towards the Tower with a wetsuit and tow float.
    Hopefully the shoulder heals up soon.

Yup, that was us. So we were ships passing in the night lol

I didn't want to be that guy who asks ''are you from the internet?''.. I've actually had that happen to me on parkruns.

I noticed you when we were down near the tower, there was a cold undercurrent which I could feel on my face but it was starting to get to her so we took a breather and went down to where the water was a lot warmer, last night was her longest swim (1858m), she only started to learn to swim last August after a life terrified of water, now to get her BF to swim, we're trying to coax him along with a disposable BBQ and press gang him into team chef :)

I'll say HI next time

Yup, that was us. So we were ships passing in the night lol

I didn't want to be that guy who asks ''are you from the internet?''.. I've actually had that happen to me on parkruns.

I noticed you when we were down near the tower, there was a cold undercurrent which I could feel on my face but it was starting to get to her so we took a breather and went down to where the water was a lot warmer, last night was her longest swim (1858m), she only started to learn to swim last August after a life terrified of water, now to get her BF to swim, we're trying to coax him along with a disposable BBQ and press gang him into team chef :)

I'll say HI next time

Was back down again tonight will defo say hello!
    That's brilliant swimming considering she only started last August fair play .
    I'm not swimming that long myself started December 18 but done mostly pool stuff a few triathlons last year but want to really get comfortable in sea this year.

Was back down again tonight will defo say hello!
    That's brilliant swimming considering she only started last August fair play .
    I'm not swimming that long myself started December 18 but done mostly pool stuff a few triathlons last year but want to really get comfortable in sea this year.

I'd planned on a sprint tri this year, my competitive Judo days are at an end I'm afraid and I'm looking into filling the gap.

I wouldn't be competitive but it would give me a goal to train towards. I don't have a swim goal really, just getting into the water makes me feel great

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

FYI temporary (72 hrs) swimming ban now in place at portmarnock beach, due to water quality.

mickmc7 wrote: »
    FYI temporary (72 hrs) swimming ban now in place at portmarnock beach, due to water quality.

Dammit, do you have a link I can pass along?

Its ok, found it LINK TO THE BAN

• Advertisement

I see Dollymount has also been added to that 72 hour ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

A lifeguard at Seapoint was warning people against entering the water today too, said it was filthy yesterday. However there were at least 20 people in the water so I gave it a go, didn't find it bad.

Lots of jellies around this year, had my first sting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

radharc wrote: »
    A lifeguard at Seapoint was warning people against entering the water today too, said it was filthy yesterday. However there were at least 20 people in the water so I gave it a go, didn't find it bad.

Lots of jellies around this year, had my first sting :(

notices up this morning about not swimming if pregnant or with open wounds/cuts. Then the below notice issued from DLR. Personally I have never found the water too bad even with the overflow notices. especially if you stay up the Martello tower end of the beach and swim towards Blackrock.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/prior-warning-notice-seapoint-beach

After a week (or almost a week) on anti-inflam's for a rotator cuff issue (its a recurring problem) I got back in for a short 500m test swim in Portmarnock, had a really nice swim and was tempted to push on but decided to bank it for another day.

So I'll problem give it another small swim this evening and rest it for an organised swim in Portmarnock on Saturday

517686.jpg

Going to be there at 6am on Sat myself to support it

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I’ve a slot booked around high tide late Saturday afternoon too. Forecast at this stage is for pretty strong winds as the afternoon progresses.

I think I'm in the 15th wave, around 1:30pm (I'll have to check).

At the moment I'm 50/50 on it. My daughter is very sick in hospital, she was due for surgery but she's a haemophiliac and that's causing a lot of concern. Anyway long story short, I'm hopefully getting up for the swim, if not I'll let the Portmarnock organizers know as early as I can so they can allocate my slot to someone else.

Well that rain was something else!.

I'd an enjoyable swim but had to get out at 750m. As I said earlier my daughter is in hospital and I really didn't want to be too far from my phone and home.

I was delighted to meet a few people I parkrun with, a few I haven't seen since the lockdown.

It was fun :)

Well that rain was something else!.

I'd an enjoyable swim but had to get out at 750m. As I said earlier my daughter is in hospital and I really didn't want to be too far from my phone and home.

I was delighted to meet a few people I parkrun with, a few I haven't seen since the lockdown.

It was fun :)
    Was out there at 6am, stayed in for 90min, was rough but no rain. Fairly choppy. Hopefully the rest of the day went well and they'll hit they're target. Water very warm

• Advertisement

audiRon wrote: »
    Was out there at 6am, stayed in for 90min, was rough but no rain. Fairly choppy. Hopefully the rest of the day went well and they'll hit they're target. Water very warm

I went in at one o'clock, I was wearing a wetsuit so it was hard to say if it was cold or warm but some in skins said it was warm.

The sea was calm by then and getting out in time as the rain had just stopped. But I seen some video of an early swimmer on Instagram and he was swimming in fairly choppy waters alright, there was hardly a ripple for us.

I think the last time I checked they were shy of 8 thousand Euro so they're well on their way.

I had just come off a 24 hour shift so that swim woke me up but on the way home I felt the almost 30 hours since I got out of bed :D

Advertisement