Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Winter starting as autumn finished in Donegal, another nice calm bright day with plenty of sunshine

Long may this reversal of North West and South East continue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Gavs Winter Forecast 2019/2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip! Winter has started in Dublin as Autumn left off....light rain.

And look at the air pressure
    Near 1030mb ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gavs Winter Forecast 2019/2020

Interesting forecast. I think he might be right about how it pans out- cold outbreaks throughout the winter, but nothing too prolonged.
    This winter might see a few frontal snow events, and a split at times between the north and north east of the country, which could be cold and snowy at times, with milder weather in the south.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely evening here in Kerry , clear skies for the most part , calm and cold at 3.4C . Ice already on the roof of the cars in the sheltered side of the house.

Fog forming about 30 mins ago.

eFlejJE.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

highdef wrote: »
    Had wet snow in North Kildare around dawn this morning. Was very surprised as I was expecting frost this morning.

Saw a bit myself this morning around 5:30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Already -0.5c in Kildare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's great to get to December. Game on now for some decent cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cold and frosty under a clear sky with just some shallow fog about. Currently -0.8c but had dipped to -1.4c earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Windscreen lighted frosted over at 7.30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

0.8c in Kilrush, Co.Clare currently, with a nice light smog over the town. A nice distinctive coal smell to the air, always reminds me of a nice crisp winters evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Interesting forecast. I think he might be right about how it pans out- cold outbreaks throughout the winter, but nothing too prolonged.
    This winter might see a few frontal snow events, and a split at times between the north and north east of the country, which could be cold and snowy at times, with milder weather in the south.

hard to know what to make of that winter forecast. The gist i'm getting from it is we are in for a mainly Atlantic driven winter and any cold outbreaks will be short lived. We do look to be in for a very unsettled December, but I think after that, everything's up in the air for now. Hopefully we will have a dryer January-March, with the Jetstream heading into somewhere like Morocco. My money is on the Atlantic to dominate the majority of the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

JCX BXC wrote: »
    0.8c in Kilrush, Co.Clare currently, with a nice light smog over the town. A nice distinctive coal smell to the air, always reminds me of a nice crisp winters evening.

Are you some sort of climate denier! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

-2 in in North Clare, no smog, twinkling stars, fresh air and crispy crunchy grass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Frost here in meath since sunset, had to clear ice on the car at 6.15, lovely crisp night out there

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Funny I read a news story saying that the Irish Bookies had greatly lengthened the odds on a white christmas in last few days, when my thoughts were actually starting to think the opposite. This morning's GFS run shows some very wintry weather from mid December. As long as patterns like this keep appearing in the mix I would be slow to rule out snow in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely frosty morning in West Clare, currently -1.1c with sun and mostly clear skies, bar a bit of high cloud. Sun making easy work of defrosting things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Lovely frosty morning in West Clare, currently -1.1c with sun and mostly clear skies, bar a bit of high cloud. Sun making easy work of defrosting things.

Yeah, similar to here in Tipp, perfect winters morning, wish this was more typical of our winter weather. More bright frosty mornings please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a cold first winter night in cork city. Currently about 2/3 degrees but as my house is north facing the roofs and cars are still frosted over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    hard to know what to make of that winter forecast. The gist i'm getting from it is we are in for a mainly Atlantic driven winter and any cold outbreaks will be short lived. We do look to be in for a very unsettled December, but I think after that, everything's up in the air for now. Hopefully we will have a dryer January-March, with the Jetstream heading into somewhere like Morocco. My money is on the Atlantic to dominate the majority of the winter.

This is pretty much what the Netweather forecast is saying. I think in such a pattern we can get decent, albeit short lived, snow events, but if you are after several ice days in a row you will likely be disappointed. If it does pan out like this, it will at least be better than last year. So hopefully we can get a potent northerly of old this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

After a beautiful dawn this morning, we are finishing with a glorious evening skyscape. A December day that really delivered at both ends here in central Mayo. More of these please!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Similar in Dublin. Missed the sunrise but sunset was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The Netweather Winter forecast,thats another winter down the ****ter,

great i can put my mind at ease.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/long-range/seasonal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful sunset in cork city today and drove out a bit too and looked lovely over all the fields with fog forming in them.

Down to about 1/1.5 degrees here in my garden now in the bishops town/Wilton area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Beautiful sunset in cork city today and drove out a bit too and looked lovely over all the fields with fog forming in them.

Down to about 1/1.5 degrees here in my garden now in the bishops town/Wilton area.

One of the best ive ever seen in Cork (Outside of summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »

What a beautiful shot!

From what I remember, sunrise wasn't really anything to write home about so you didn't really miss much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Netweather Winter forecast,thats another winter down the ****ter,

great i can put my mind at ease.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/long-range/seasonal

Pffft amateur I put my mind at ease months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lovely shot Syran. There seems to have been a lot of these unusual skyscapes (for the time of year.) around these last few weeks at times.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Artane2002 wrote: »
    What a beautiful shot!

From what I remember, sunrise wasn't really anything to write home about so you didn't really miss much.

A stunner of a sunrise this morning though!

It's very frosty and cold too in Dublin 5. It's already been a better winter than last year even though we're only three days in...

Advertisement