Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hand making ties

Options
  • 17-07-2018 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to jump feet first into the wonderful world of bespoke menswear, and I am going to start making my own ties. I have a vague plan to make a couple of different styles and attempt to sell them on t'internet under my own brand name.

I've looked into courses but they are pretty much non existent, so I'll be relying on video tutorials, books, and good old trial and error.

I know the first step is to take apart an old tie and see how it's put together, and trace out a pattern based on that. I plan to get some cheap material to practice on, and I already have a sewing machine.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience in this area, or advice / general tips, or even somewhere to go to get some firsthand tutoring. There's a free tie in it! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I’ve made my own bow ties and cravats but never a regular necktie.

You might be best to try a square end, uniform length tie just to get the basics down first before you try the triangular end.

A really good iron will be your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

You can buy white silk ties and paint them yourself with silk fabric paint. If I was buying an expensive hand made tie , I wouldn't want some cheap fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

So I've decided to jump feet first into the wonderful world of bespoke menswear, and I am going to start making my own ties. I have a vague plan to make a couple of different styles and attempt to sell them on t'internet under my own brand name.

I've looked into courses but they are pretty much non existent, so I'll be relying on video tutorials, books, and good old trial and error.

I know the first step is to take apart an old tie and see how it's put together, and trace out a pattern based on that. I plan to get some cheap material to practice on, and I already have a sewing machine.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience in this area, or advice / general tips, or even somewhere to go to get some firsthand tutoring. There's a free tie in it! :)

Yup. I’ve made a few. Just pull apart an old one and see how it’s done. You’ll need some interfacing to stiffen the tie. You’ll get it in any good fabric shop. However, one thing I’ll say is that while ties are still somewhat fashionable, they are going out of fashion. They’re barely worn in the corporate world in the UK anymore and as you probably know, we take our fashion inspiration mainly from the UK. I wouldn’t look at this as your next profitable venture. Open necks are more en vogue nowadays.

They’re barely worn in the corporate world in the UK anymore and as you probably know, we take our fashion inspiration mainly from the UK. I wouldn’t look at this as your next profitable venture. Open necks are more en vogue nowadays.

There will always be a place for ties, in particular with people who prefer style to fashion. I agree that workplaces are becoming more casual, but that doesn't mean people will stop wearing ties. If anything, there's a substantial group of people who want to wear ties rather than have to wear ties. Those are the people to target, especially with unique, handmade quality ties made well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thanks all, yes the market I'm looking at is those who see ties as an addition to their wardrobe, rather than something they have to wear. I'd be looking at the slightly more high-end market, StyleForum type person, so my ultimate aim would be to source high end fabrics, the likes of which produced by someone like Adamley of Macclesfield.

I'd be going for these sorts of patterns:

u11i_ai_2014_franco_bassi_10.jpg?itok=HEv4Rn7D

2w5nm7d.jpg

I know the main challenge will be sourcing the fabrics and producing something decent from them; not looking to make a big profit as it's really just a fun sideline so as long as I'm not making a loss I'm happy. If I get something established, great. If not, then it was a worthy experiment.

From what I can tell, there is no Irish maker doing ties in the above style, they are more of the Atkinson's / tweed variety. Perhaps there's a reason for that! But as long as I try, who knows.

• Advertisement

From what I can tell, there is no Irish maker doing ties in the above style, they are more of the Atkinson's / tweed variety. Perhaps there's a reason for that! But as long as I try, who knows.

Check Mr. Jenks, their ties are silk but in the more classic patterns. They're made in Italy but definitely an Irish company.

Also check out BeBrave Textiles, they're Irish and focus on upcycling vintage ties into new ties, particularly bowties and cravats. I have a bowtie of theirs that I really love to wear, it's unusual because they made it double sided, so it's 3 or 4 looks in one, depending how you tie it.

OK great, thanks for the tip. I'd love to use ancient madder silk, but no idea where you can buy it.

Wow, I love Mr Jenks! I got in touch with them. They might give me some tips (I'm not trying to compete in the market place. If I can make a couple of ties I can gift or sell to friends, I'll be happy!)

Mr. Jenks are probably my favourite Irish accessories company. I have two of their pocket squares and they are such beautiful quality and so well presented.

Mr. Jenks are probably my favourite Irish accessories company. I have two of their pocket squares and they are such beautiful quality and so well presented.

Maybe one day I'll be your second favourite! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Maybe one day I'll be your second favourite! ;)

Hi ETB (if I can call you that!) did you ever get your tie making off the ground?

Also, Mr. Jenks appear to have folded, I don't know if you know anything about that.....

• Advertisement

Hi ETB (if I can call you that!) did you ever get your tie making off the ground?

Also, Mr. Jenks appear to have folded, I don't know if you know anything about that.....

No I never did. I was probably more into the idea of making a tie than anything more serious than that. Sourcing the fabric seemed to take a long time and I would've been forking out a good bit as I'd have to buy in bulk. So that was the end of that.

Didn't hear about Mr Jenks. They did seem to be pretty niche alright. Harder to launch a higher-end brand esp in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

No I never did. I was probably more into the idea of making a tie than anything more serious than that. Sourcing the fabric seemed to take a long time and I would've been forking out a good bit as I'd have to buy in bulk. So that was the end of that.

Didn't hear about Mr Jenks. They did seem to be pretty niche alright. Harder to launch a higher-end brand esp in Ireland.

That's a pity. But you can't shell out for metres of silk if you are only trying it out.

Agree with you on the lack of demand for high end menswear in Ireland, and it's probably even lower for accessories.
    I went into a pretty good menswear shop in Ennis lately and the had fine casual clothes, decent enough suits, and really bad ties in garishly coloured polyester.

Advertisement