Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Peckham wrote: »
    Would agree with above.

If given the choice between getting a filling and getting the snip done again, I'd probably go for the snip!

Thats a great discription and have to agree thats the same experience I had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can anyone tell me how sore is this procedure? Thinking about getting it done with Dr McCormick but can't get put asleep for it . Anyone who has actually got it done I'd appreciate some feedback

It is practically pain free as a procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Can anyone tell me how sore is this procedure? Thinking about getting it done with Dr McCormick but can't get put asleep for it . Anyone who has actually got it done I'd appreciate some feedback

I’ve honestly had more uncomfortable hair cuts, not even joking. It’s a very straight forward process and any issues that may arise, as unlikely as that may be, will be post op and not during the ten min procedure. Absolutely no need to be asleep for it plus you’d miss out on the puff of smoke coming from your balls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Slightly uncomfortable at worst.

Its like getting a football kicked at you in the nether region's.

Try avoid looking up at the reflection of the doctor at work on the overhead light..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I was talking to a lad today who was telling me his son is now going for a reversal. He is 41 with 3 kids from a former marriage but new partner and all going to try for more.

£4,500.00 is the asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gavlor wrote: »
    Absolutely no need to be asleep for it plus you’d miss out on the puff of smoke coming from your balls!!!
    My brother told me he was initially wondering about whether the staff were cooking a few rashers for breakfast nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had issues with epididymitis since getting there's done?

I had mine done in May, and have had epididymitis twice since. It clears up fairly quick with ibuprofen, but im just wondering is this going to be an ongoing thing, or just an initial issue?

Kind of annoying having a pain the balls every couple of months. Plus i don't like the idea of having to take so much ibuprofen for the rest of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

Gavlor wrote: »
    Jesus lads I came in here to ask if there’s tax relief (med expenses) for my upcoming snip. Wish I hadn’t bothered now based on the two posts above!

Yes, you can claim 20% back on the Med1.

As for a loss of libido, just my opinion: Absolute rubbish, all in the head. Its probably got a lot more to do with fragile masculinity than your vasectomy. I was insatiable afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

RockDaddy wrote: »

As for a loss of libido, just my opinion: Absolute rubbish, all in the head. Its probably got a lot more to do with fragile masculinity than your vasectomy. I was insatiable afterwards!

All in the head of your penis perhaps ...

Ask a mod to rename your boards ID to red blooded male or the like?

re mayo clinic:

Unfounded concerns
    Many men worry that a vasectomy could cause serious problems — but these fears are unfounded. For example, a vasectomy won't:

Affect your sexual performance. A vasectomy won't affect your sex drive or your masculinity in any way other than preventing you from fathering a child. Men have even reported higher sexual satisfaction after a vasectomy.
    Permanently damage your sexual organs. There's very little risk that your testicles, penis or other parts of your reproductive system will be injured during surgery. In extremely rare cases, injury to the blood supply can lead to the loss of a testicle, but that is unlikely to happen if your surgeon is skilled.
    Increase your risk of certain cancers. Although there have been some concerns about a possible link between vasectomy and testicular or prostate cancer in the past, there's no proven link.
    Increase your risk of heart disease. As with cancer fears, there doesn't appear to be any link between vasectomy and heart problems.
    Cause severe pain. You might feel minor pain and pulling or tugging during surgery, but severe pain is rare. Likewise, after surgery you might have some pain, but for most men the pain is minor and goes away after a few days.

worded wrote: »
    All in the head of your penis perhaps ...

:D:D:D Perhaps!!

All the same, some lads on here are nearly determined to find reasons to put a vasectomy off.

Maybe I'm lucky, had zero issues before, during or after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

:D:D:D Perhaps!!

All the same, some lads on here are nearly determined to find reasons to put a vasectomy off.

Maybe I'm lucky, had zero issues before, during or after.

I heard if you get a docs referral you can get it on the public system for 150 dolla. The wait time is probably 9 months + LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Well I guess you are lucky so, does`nt mean everyone has the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Well I guess you are lucky so, does`nt mean everyone has the same experience.

I’m another lucky one so. Although the vast vast majority of people suffer no side effects so I’m not sure that lucky is the correct description.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

I am about 1 month post vasectomy

No issues to report at all - thank God

The process was extremely straight forward with minimal discomfort
    Nurafen for a day or two

in and out of clinic in about 45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

ive mine done 2 years .. never had an issue ..i went golfing the day after my procedure. 5 of my buddies have had it done since, all have had no issues.. mind you all done by the same doc so maybe thats the reason why,most stories ive heard wouldnt lead me to believe im one of the lucky ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

Moved to finland recently. Did my consultation today. a 15 minutes conversation and most of it was just fact checking etc. The urologist wanted to make sure i didt want to freeze my sperm but i have no interest in biological connection to a child if i ever raise a kid.

Appointment for snip booked, 2 weeks from now, friday 13th!! :D

I feel pretty good about it. Bit nervous of course. Decided never to have children in a big deal in some ways. Though I just really dont want any, and havent for a long time. 35 years old!

My partner hates taking pills because she HAS to take some pills each day for a medical issue, so i understand she wants to limit them.

I've used condoms my whole life..and i can not wait to stop doing that. I've disliked them in various intensities over the years. Once in a relationship where she was on the pill so we didnt use them, and i loved the sex more because of it! So heres hoping to that type of feeling again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When I saw the thread notification I was half expecting a Black Friday deal :D

I've decided though that it's time to get it done as well. I've been humming and hawwing about it for a long time now and at 44 with a 7 year old, I think I'm done from that perspective. Plus any potential future partner would likely already have kids anyway, so that'll do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin15head

Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback here and update with my experience.

In my mid 40’s with 3 kids, youngest is 10 and had wrestled with the idea for a couple of years as my wife and I knew we were done. Seeing the positive difference in my wife, mentally, emotionally and sexually in the last year since she stopped the pill convinced me that it was necessary now.

8 weeks post procedure done by Dr. McCormick and no issues. He explains everything including the possibility of complications and then gets to work. All done in about 15 minutes. Took advice given and lay up for a couple of days afterwards. No real pain on the day or since that required any medication. A little bit of tenderness/achiness for about 2-3 weeks in that you would be more careful in that area.

No issues with libido, sex etc. since and just waiting now for the all clear in a few weeks.

Really glad I went through with it now and hoping another positive experience convinces another undecided like myself to bite the bullet and go for it.

Got my operation done yesterday. About 45 minutes on the table. It was pretty much zero pain. Just a pinch from the injection.

Recuperating with my gf n friend. Yesterday felt a bit like someone hit you by accident in the nuts.
    Today is more bruise or sharper but perfectly capable with a ibuprofen.

He gave me anti biotic too.
    I'm very pleased overall. My scrotum looks a little different lol. Just pulled in a different way I guess because of stitches.

3 months I've to go give a sample to get the all clear.

Appreciate everyone who posted in the thread. It gave me good support in my decision making.

So this is day 3 post op.

All is ok so far. The pain has been more intense than expected. It kinda feels like when I stand up n straighten my torso that it pulls on something. Guess it will just take a bit of time to rejig some muscle memory sensations.
    It's better every day. No more swelling today. Looks mostly back to normal.

About 4 doses of paracetamol 500mg each day. Today I expect 3 doses to manage.

I walked about 2km yesterday. Slowly but surely. I'll do that today too.

I masturbated this morning. Gently lol. It went well. I tried yesterday n got scared because it felt wrong in many ways. Today felt great n normal again. Delighted because I had a fear it might not feel good the same way.
    So very pleased today everything seems to be working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Sorry for what is prob an obvious question, is Med1 available to anyone who pays tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello everyone, sorry if I reply at an old thread. I didn't find any reply regarding what I was looking for.

I'm 24 and I'm living in Cork.

Anyone around my age have had any luck getting a vas while having no kids. And if so where did you go?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I see Dr.McCormick comes highly recommended on here.
    Whats the best way to make an appointment with him. Just call up and see when is available or via email?

Any idea of the waiting time for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Jacovs wrote:
    I see Dr.McCormick comes highly recommended on here. Whats the best way to make an appointment with him. Just call up and see when is available or via email?

vasectomyireland.ie is his website. Contact him through that and he'll answer queries over email or phone. I got an appointment very quickly. Think he offered me a slot a few days after I got in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Peckham wrote: »
    vasectomyireland.ie is his website. Contact him through that and he'll answer queries over email or phone. I got an appointment very quickly. Think he offered me a slot a few days after I got in touch!

Cheers. Used his email this morning as on the website but hadnt heard back yet so thought id ask.
    Might use the contact form instead tomorrow and see how that goes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sorry for what is prob an obvious question, is Med1 available to anyone who pays tax?

Yep just download the form from the Revenue website, or you can probably log in and do it online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Yep just download the form from the Revenue website, or you can probably log in and do it online too.

Ya, much easier and faster to do it online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Iamhere wrote: »
    Ya, much easier and faster to do it online

How much do you get back?

How much do you get back?

You get 20% back on the MED1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Iamhere wrote: »
    Need some insight from anyone who has experienced pain beyond the first few weeks.

I had the procedure on February 15th, I have had two courses of strong anti inflammatories, one antibiotic (no infection was identified).

I am still in a lot of pain, taking nurofen daily, while the pain has reduced it now seems to have settled at a reasonability high level. Pain is all down my left side, testicle and sometimes into lower abdomen.

Sitting seems to bring it on (I work in an office), it looks and feels like the left testicle is higher than before, has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks in advance.

A year on and my pain is drastically reduced, I would call it a pinch here and there, doesn't need managing, no meds, no issues with performance etc.

Running can cause some pain but overall in a much better place, this thread has been very helpful.

Advertisement