Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

You might have some credence if you posted that as gaeilge. :p

It's multi cultural world. There's literally an entire world outside of the comely maidens dancing at the cross roads. And, btw, would the local LOI garrison playing teams be Irish enough for you?

Irish culture is about dancing at the crossroads and being against foreign sports? :confused: You've just proved my point.

No you're not. :rolleyes:

Where did I say I'm a part of the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I don't need a link I live there

Right...but I'm the one who needs a link because I don't live there. Why do you think I asked for one? For you?

limnam wrote: »
    I took by "those who" that you're not one of them...

I don't follow English teams, I think it's important to be proud of our culture and traditions. It's clear here, many look down their nose at our culture and traditions, hence they are active participants in turning Ireland into little England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Perifect wrote: »
    Irish culture is about dancing at the crossroads and being against foreign sports? :confused: You've just proved my point.

How have I proved your point - I'm having a tough time trying to see what your point is.

What Irish culture do you think is in danger and that should be preserved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

I don't follow English teams, I think it's important to be proud of our culture and traditions. It's clear here, many look down their nose at our culture and traditions, hence they are active participants in turning Ireland into little England.

Seems you're missing the point then....

How have I proved your point - I'm having a tough time trying to see what your point is.

What Irish culture do you think is in danger and that should be preserved?

You look down your nose at Irish culture while embracing English culture.

Seems you're missing the point then....

On the contrary, the point has completely sailed over your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Me uncle worked in Manchester in the 70s, or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

Is it because Irish teams are ****e and English teams are far superior?

Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Stockport are comparatively ****e.

In a county with a population half of that of Ireland and with four giants within spitting distance they get more through the gates than the whole LOI. Four small teams that share a city with two of the biggest teams in the world get more in the gate of any of the big three Dublin clubs. Tens of thousands through the gates at eternal non achievers in the London area (Crystal Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Brentford, Leyton, Southend, Charlton Athletic, Luton, Crawley, AFC Wimbledon, QPR, Fulham) when the easy option would be to fob these off in favour of Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Spurs and Arsenal.

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies. Kids today wouldn't believe that until 18 or so years ago very few people outside of South east Dublin and Limerick cared for the rugby side.

• Advertisement

On the contrary, the point has completely sailed over your head.

It seems to be sailing over most people's.

Maybe you can formulate it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

8-10 wrote: »
    Right...but I'm the one who needs a link because I don't live there. Why do you think I asked for one? For you?

Apologies
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070

You look down your nose at Irish culture while embracing English culture.

Pointing out the deficiencies in LOI football is looking down on Irish culture? :confused:

Pog mo thoin! :p

Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Stockport are comparatively ****e.

In a county with a population half of that of Ireland and with four giants within spitting distance they get more through the gates than the whole LOI. Four small teams that share a city with two of the biggest teams in the world get more in the gate of any of the big three Dublin clubs. Tens of thousands through the gates at eternal non achievers in the London area (Crystal Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Brentford, Leyton, Southend, Charlton Athletic, Luton, Crawley, AFC Wimbledon, QPR, Fulham) when the easy option would be to fob these off in favour of Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Spurs and Arsenal.

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies.

Leinster and Munster get good attendances though it has to be said. Their average Pro 14 attendance is higher than many established Premiership clubs like Gloucester, Northampton, Bath etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Leinster and Munster get good attendances though it has to be said. Their average Pro 14 attendance is higher than many established Premiership clubs like Gloucester, Northampton, Bath etc

The rugger is loike the place to be seen though loike. Instariffic.

It seems to be sailing over most people's.

Maybe you can formulate it better.

Having to face up to the fact that you're apart of the little England alliance has upset you. You can do something about it!

The rugger is loike the place to be seen though loike. Instariffic.

You don't think it's because the teams are good at playing said rugger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You don't think it's because the teams are good at playing said rugger?

No, it's barely a sport when you look at the actual skills involved. Most of them haven't a clue what's going on anyway, but that's not why they're there. Prosecco anyone?

Having to face up to the fact that you're apart of the little England alliance has upset you. You can do something about it!

Doesn't upset me.

Regular LOI attendee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Born in England to Irish parents, grew up there until adulthood and now living in Ireland half my life.
    Growing up there I supported my local team who have always floated between Div 1 and the championship. I attended most home games and often away games.
    Everybody I knew had two teams, the local team and a premier league team and they still seem to going on Fb posts.
    Nowadays I couldn't give a rats ass about any league. The only football I see is when Ireland play (depressing) and then during the world cup or Euro's where I haven't a clue who a lot of the players are but i'll watch as many games as i can and enjoy it.
    My housemates sit down in their united jerseys and watch every single EPL game on Sky sports and occasionally fly over to matches.
    I can't understand why people are so affected by what other people do. Why work yourself up over it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

tuxy wrote: »
    To be fair the vast majority of Irish people support England in world cups that Ireland do not qualify for.

He he he.
    Good one.

I don't care if people follow, are fans of, or "support" English teams or teams from wherever.

What I do hate is when they start referring to the WE.
    WE played terrible the other night or WE are going to win the league.

Unless you are a die hard regular fan going to the matches, or a native with local links then I think you don't have the right to use the WE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Now that you mention it, I have family in the Birmingham Area. A number of them lived in Small Heath for years and are all Birmingham City supporters.

It does happen.

Nowhere near the scale it should if the "my uncle abroad" or the Irish diaspora reasons are used. Most people would hardly know any Blues fans over here

No, it's barely a sport when you look at the actual skills involved. Most of them haven't a clue what's going on anyway, but that's not why they're there. Prosecco anyone?

Still good that they're going to the Irish grounds and supporting the game here rather than daytrips to England though right?

Pointing out the deficiencies in LOI football is looking down on Irish culture? :confused:

Pog mo thoin! :p

No, you painted Irish culture as being about dancing at the crossroads and being anti-English. Sneering attitude so similar to what some in England have. Leannán tú cultúr Shasanach! :D

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Apologies

"Parental family ties appear to have been much stronger. "

It was a tradition, but nothing to do with sectarianism. Liverpool was formed after the Everton owners fell out with their Anfield owning landlord, but for money and not religious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Haven't read the full thread but whoever thinks there's no class in our league needs to check out Morrissey's goal from last night. There's bangers every week.

Doesn't upset me.

Regular LOI attendee :)

So you got my point then. ;)

No, you painted Irish culture as being about dancing at the crossroads and being anti-English.

That was mocking you (I assumed clearly). Do keep up mo chara :pac:

Omackeral wrote: »
    Haven't read the full thread but whoever thinks there's no class in our league needs to check out Morrissey's goal from last night. There's bangers every week.

I saw that earlier, I follow Cork on FB :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies. Kids today wouldn't believe that until 18 or so years ago very few people outside of South east Dublin and Limerick cared for the rugby side.

This is it. Irish people are event junkies. They don't want to go to a game every week. They'll do a few games a year and think they're great. Some will even do a few games in more than one sport and think they're some sort of super fan.

Advertisement