Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just-eat.ie Discounts - No code requests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

The code is NTT2018, today only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I see they replaced the now illegal credit card charge with a service charge. Greedy gits. Charge also applies to CASH payments.

EDIT: Not the only ones, either. Their main competition had adopted the same approach. So much for EU and its consumer protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

I see they replaced the now illegal credit card charge with a service charge. Greedy gits. Charge also applies to CASH payments.

EDIT: Not the only ones, either. Their main competition had adopted the same approach. So much for EU and its consumer protection.

That EU regulation should have just asked retailers to rename that fee in the first place. Facepalm of a regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I ordered food on Saturday night and went to their live chat for the craic when i saw the 50c charge, they refunded it to my card! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just Eat revealed in 2016 that “payment card/admin fee revenue” accounted for about 13% of its total revenue. With the company forecasting revenue for 2017 at between £500m and £515m, that suggests the loss of the card fee cash would have cost it more than £50m.

With 12% charge to the takeaway + 50c surcharge it'll soon be worth chippies offering a 10% discount for phone orders, customer and retailer save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Sappy404

ED E wrote: »
    With 12% charge to the takeaway + 50c surcharge it'll soon be worth chippies offering a 10% discount for phone orders, customer and retailer save.

Our local pizza place does a free desert voucher redeemable when you order over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ED E wrote: »

what I've noticed it places have started their own website offering a discount for ordering through it

i really only use justeat/Marvin these days when i get a voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The Capri takeaway in kimmage does 10% off through their website. I wouldn't bother with just eat unless I've a discount code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Lot of local takeaways around me have developed their own orderings app with discounts for using them. Local chipper (lovely 9th Lough in Clondalkin) currently offering 20% off first order through it. Makes sense to cut out the middleman if possible for them I suppose. I only ever use JE or Marvin when there's discount codes, which is a rare event recently. Will use them even less now with this new fee, which is
    a bit greedy especially when it includes for cash orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Lot of local takeaways around me have developed their own orderings app with discounts for using them. Local chipper (lovely 9th Lough in Clondalkin) currently offering 20% off first order through it. Makes sense to cut out the middleman if possible for them I suppose. I only ever use JE or Marvin when there's discount codes, which is a rare event recently. Will use them even less now with this new fee, which is
    a bit greedy especially when it includes for cash orders.

Being pedantic here but they haven't developed their own system, most just use the Flipdish platform using their own domains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The Capri takeaway in kimmage does 10% off through their website. I wouldn't bother with just eat unless I've a discount code.

It helps that Capri is excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The 50c charge is added to cash orders now too so they can f*** right off. I've spent the last while registering online with a couple of takeaways I use regularly as a result so I'll order directly in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

near me it seem many have switch to company called orderyoyo

no discount code with those one though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Shameful carry on by Just Eat with the extra charge being renamed; expected, but still shameful. Agree with everyone here; only will order with them from now on if i have a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MB05

Unless your order value is big it may not be worth it even with the code. My local takeaway doesn't charge the card fee (or admin fee now) and they charge 30c less on the delivery charge so straight away Just Eat are 80c dearer for my meal. On some other takeaway places I looked at on the site the meal was dearer than on the takeaways own menu. I rarely bother with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dawnied

I used just eat once to order from the takeaway right up the road from me because I didn't have any cash on me... The owner rang me up and chewed me out of it! Said just eat charged them to process the orders too (something like €1.50),that i was already making a saving off the menu and to next time give my card details to them over the phone! (I don't think so buddy)
    Never ordered from them again..

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Ordered a cash collection earlier and was hit with this '50c Service Charge". Wtf?? Googled it and there is uproar in the UK it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/09/new-just-eat-50p-surcharge-branded-a-rip-off-by-customers

That's the end of using just eat for me after years of use. Just as easy to pick up the phone and order and not get charged 50c for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Anyone with AIB Rewards can avail of 15% cash back.

Just Eat 15% back on your next order

Choose from 100s of your favourite local takeaway restaurants and order food for delivery to your home or office

Terms and Conditions

To redeem this offer, you will need to order on the Just Eat app. Offer valid on the Just Eat app for one order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

danwhite88 wrote: »

Choose from 100s of your favourite local takeaway restaurants and order food for delivery to your home or office

Terms and Conditions

To redeem this offer, you will need to order on the Just Eat app. Offer valid on the Just Eat app for one order.

Doesn't appear for my card. Went through the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its also available on PTSB rewards until the 9th.

Terms and Conditions
    Activated on 02/02/18
    Available until 09/02/18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Gave up on Just Eat along time ago. Like most users it seems, nothing more I cannot stand is a cheeky fee. Even more is a so called discount code that ends up discounting just there charges.

Hoping more take away's just start there own online system, surely it can't cost that much to get up and running? Even with a company developing it and setting it up, the cost of the site itself about 1000€? Hosting you could get cheap enough if you shop around. Seen as your using a good web dev, they'll easily be able to set it up to print off tickets in store.

Separate note I find it hilarious who web companies under estimate consumers, just agreeing to charges. Halo's change to MyTaxi has to be the biggest flop I have ever seen, then they just wack on a 2€ charge. Now JustEat just wack on 50c as they please. Literally these companies think they are in some sort of market position. Someone would want to tell the CEO's that you can still go out and 'hail' a taxi off the street free of charge and in this case ring a takeway free of charge. Mind Boggling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

TallGlass wrote: »
    Halo's change to MyTaxi has to be the biggest flop I have ever seen, then they just wack on a 2€ charge.

The FACT is that is just not true. All they did was no longer offer the discount which they previously did.
    TallGlass wrote: »
    Someone would want to tell the CEO's that you can still go out and 'hail' a taxi off the street free of charge.

You do that so. Now a diver will not have to be given your job, turn around his car and travel a distance to pick you up. That is why you pay a call out charge for a taxi, it has been there for a hell of a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Oh yea, forgot why I came here in the first place. Is there any codes on offer these days for just eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

danwhite88 wrote: »

Terms and Conditions

Just tried this, best I could work out you just order using the app and order with the card that's got that offer on your AIB rewards account and it'll refund you the 15% later yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Just tried this, best I could work out you just order using the app and order with the card that's got that offer on your AIB rewards account and it'll refund you the 15% later yes?

Yes, register card with AIB Rewards order using the app and you'll get the cash back in your account usually 5-7 days after ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Even with AIB and PTSB, not ordering from Just Eat. Will call the place from now on.

If you're making a collection with no minimum order amount what stops someone from ordering say a can of coke and leaving a note in the special instructions box with the rest of the order and explaining that you'll pay for everything else in cash so that Just Eat don't take 12% from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If you're making a collection with no minimum order amount what stops someone from ordering say a can of coke and leaving a note in the special instructions box with the rest of the order and explaining that you'll pay for everything else in cash so that Just Eat don't take 12% from them?

Probably the fact that it’s just handier to ring them in that case.

Well some would debate that's true in general.

Even better. Every time you order just a can of coke, let the takeaway know that means you're ordering "the usual". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And what about the 50c service charge on all orders? Aren’t you basically just ripping yourself off?

50c for a moral victory isn’t something I’d bother my hole with personally, especially when I could just ring them up. Each to their own though.

Advertisement