Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPC 1 - 2019 Blackhall

Options
  • 09-05-2019 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

There seems to always be a general PPC1 thread each year, figured I'd get the ball rolling!

Is anyone else scratching their heads trying to figure out how much hours/week PPC1 actually takes up? I'm the first trainee my firm's ever had, and I've been asked to let them know how many hours a week (if any) I'll be able to work remotely for them, so they can figure out if they need someone to temp in my place during that time. I've downloaded the 2018 iCal PPC timetable but it's hard to decipher - seems to have a lot of things I assume are extracurricular, like mindfulness and yoga. Not sure if it's like college, where there's lots of tutorials on the schedule but you only attend once every two weeks when its your turn etc.

Either way, it looks like there's usually one day a week where there's only 2 hours of so of classes, and the rest tends to be 5-8 hours of lectures a day - no idea what the workload is going to be like though.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

I would love to know the hours required etc aswel. I am trying to secure a training contract with my employer and although I don't think they would require me to work during PPC1, I would like to be able to tell them if I can provide any help or work during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

Yohnathan wrote: »
    I would love to know the hours required etc aswel. I am trying to secure a training contract with my employer and although I don't think they would require me to work during PPC1, I would like to be able to tell them if I can provide any help or work during the week.

If anyone could clarify the hours (how many, spaces between lectures etc?) I've also heard some people are lucky enough to have fridays off...is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

Ngannou54 wrote: »
    If anyone could clarify the hours (how many, spaces between lectures etc?) I've also heard some people are lucky enough to have fridays off...is this true?

I'd be very grateful if a recent ppc1 student could pm me their timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leek15

Does anyone know how to apply for PPC 1? Are the application packs sent automatically on passing the FE1's or do you have to contact the Law Society? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

leek15 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to apply for PPC 1? Are the application packs sent automatically on passing the FE1's or do you have to contact the Law Society? Thanks!
    Email them or call them and they will send them out to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

Just found out yesterday the deadline is June 14th (which they don't seem told anyone or published anywhere?!), you need to email lawschool@lawsociety.ie and they'll send an application pack.

Am I reading it right or do we need to provide our Junior Cert results aswel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I don't see anything about junior cert results, where are you getting that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommyh1979

Not required

Haha all the better so. Cheers guys. I had looked at it briefly last week and haven't looked at it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Patmo

Would anyone have any lists of suitable accommodations?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Could anyone give me a rough idea of the workload involved during PPC1 in terms of preparation for lectures/tutorials, and in particular the number of assignments involved. Also, how many exams and are exams only on in March at the end of the course. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BasedHobbes

FE!student wrote: »
    Could anyone give me a rough idea of the workload involved during PPC1 in terms of preparation for lectures/tutorials, and in particular the number of assignments involved. Also, how many exams and are exams only on in March at the end of the course. Thanks.

My understanding from reading a friend’s timetable was 3-4 hrs a day if you’re going to lectures, and a fair bit less if you’re not. As for workload, I was told there is some work, but it tends to be relatively easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

Anyone get this email regarding 'PPC Hybrid'?! I just submitted my application - if this means I can avoid moving to Dublin for months now, this has actually made my year.....

Introducing the new PPC Hybrid - starting January 2020

Law Society of Ireland’s Law School

Dear Colleague,

Congratulations on successfully attaining your FE-1.

The Law School is delighted to introduce our new Professional Practice Course Hybrid (PPC Hybrid) which will commence on the 10 of January 2020. This new course delivers an optimised blended learning experience. The combination of online lectures with face-to-face tuition provides a flexible route into practice without the requirement to be onsite in the Law School for a six month period. Both the PPC I and the PPC II will be offered in the hybrid (blended learning format). The PPC Hybrid option includes:

Online block release of lectures in play on demand mode.
    On-site face-to-face tuition through weekend sessions (ten such monthly weekend session for the PPC I).
    On-site educationally immersive week-long sessions (two such weeklong sessions for the PPC I).

The PPC Hybrid will commence on 10 of January 2020, with the PPC I exams occurring in October 2020. (Just to confirm, the standard PPC will of course also proceed as normal in September 2019). The course is structured so that you will potentially be able to continue working during the PPC I. The same two year in office training requirement will apply, but you may also be in a position to accrue credit of up to five months for in-office training occurring during the PPC I. (The PPC II for the PPC Hybrid will commence in August 2021)

DIGITAL LEARNING RESOURCES

Accessibility is one of the key factors in providing the PPC Hybrid option. We appreciate for many reasons some of you may not be able to relocate to Dublin for a six-month period to pursue your route to becoming a solicitor. Technological innovations are embedded throughout this course to provide a flexible student-centric experience. Digital course features include:

Complimentary apple iPad.
    Online block release of lectures in play on demand mode.
    Access to our customised virtual learning platform – StudyCloud.
    Online course materials and reading lists.
    Interactive learning e-resources.
    Online conferencing with fellow students, study groups and course forums.
    Engaging revisionary tools.

HOW TO APPLY

The criteria for the PPC Hybrid is exactly the same as the standard PPC, namely:

Passed, or gained exemption from the Preliminary Examination.
    Passed the Final Examination - First Part (FE1).
    Found a suitable (practising) solicitor to act as a training solicitor.

The course fees for the PPC Hybrid are also the same as for the standard route, namely €8,300 for the PPC I and €4,500 for the PPC II.

There are limited spaces available on the PPC Hybrid starting in January 2020. Places will be provided on a first come first served basis. (We accept a maximum of 10 applications from any one firm). In order to secure a place on the course, we must first receive a completed application pack. To receive your application pack please email us on ppchybrid@lawsociety.ie

I look forward to hearing from you and would like to wish you well in your future studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭vid36

Lostudent wrote: »
    Anyone get this email regarding 'PPC Hybrid'?! I just submitted my application - if this means I can avoid moving to Dublin for months now, this has actually made my year.....

I got that email as well.It looks like a very interesting option, if I can find a training solicitor in time.No need to have the expense of 6 months living in Dublin.It is a pity they didn't announce it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leek15

In relation to the new hybrid course, can anyone tell me what the benefits are aside from not having to move to Dublin (which I know is huge for anyone not living here)?

As I understand the email, its takes longer to qualify and you would have to work while you study and it still costs the same amount? I'm not knocking it by any means but the email has confused me and just want to make sure I am not missing something before I submit any applications? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭vid36

In relation to the new hybrid course, can anyone tell me what the benefits are aside from not having to move to Dublin (which I know is huge for anyone not living here)?

As I understand the email, its takes longer to qualify and you would have to work while you study and it still costs the same amount? I'm not knocking it by any means but the email has confused me and just want to make sure I am not missing something before I submit any applications? Thanks!

The only other benefit apart from not moving to Dublin is that you can continue working while you complete PPC1 but you are correct, it will take several months longer to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I've considered doing the FE1s in the past but having to move to Dublin was an impossibility for me. Maybe this hybrid programme means I could finally do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Just on the topic of school results, is there a section in the application pack that asks for Leaving Certificate results?

I never sat my LC. I completed my LL.B as a mature student and now I'm halfway through my FE1s. I thought (hoped!) I wouldn't have to worry about the LC anymore.

Just on the topic of school results, is there a section in the application pack that asks for Leaving Certificate results?

I never sat my LC. I completed my LL.B as a mature student and now I'm halfway through my FE1s. I thought (hoped!) I wouldn't have to worry about the LC anymore.

I've just applied for PPC 1 the LC details were not a major factor, if you have degree plus FE1's you're suitable.

• Advertisement

tommyh1979 wrote: »
    I've just applied for PPC 1 the LC details were not a major factor, if you have degree plus FE1's you're suitable.

That's good to hear. The LC has been my great white albatross for the past 18 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

That's good to hear. The LC has been my great white albatross for the past 18 years.

Don't worry, they only ask about (if any) degree(s) was/were obtained in the different schools/universities you attended... until primary school lol. So I just filled it with the schools' details, and where relevant the name of the exam/degree obtained.

Only proof asked is the law degree so you'll have to send the original degree or certified transcripts, or a university letter.

On another note, I'd really be interested in knowing what the average timetable is too! If anyone could PM me about that, I'd appreciate it :).

lawless11 wrote: »
    Don't worry, they only ask about (if any) degree(s) was/were obtained in the different schools/universities you attended... until primary school lol. So I just filled it with the schools' details, and where relevant the name of the exam/degree obtained.

Only proof asked is the law degree so you'll have to send the original degree or certified transcripts, or a university letter.

Thanks for that!

It's 30 hours a week according to the admin in the Law Society...more than I thought. She sent me last years time table I'll attach if find out how

It's 30 hours a week according to the admin in the Law Society...more than I thought. She sent me last years time table I'll attach if find out how

You can attach a picture to your post, or insert a link! Thanks for that.

its a pdf doc over 150 pages

its a pdf doc over 150 pages

Wow okay aha! Then I suppose the most practical way would be to host it on a hosting website (like google docs, media fire etc...) and put a link here for those interested.

lawless11 wrote: »
    Wow okay aha! Then I suppose the most practical way would be to host it on a hosting website (like google docs, media fire etc...) and put a link here for those interested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DeJiPIdjhhBSmyb4kpGhmzVBBf-7Mm7n/view

Hi all,

Are any of you now considering the PPC Hybrid?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Are any of you now considering the PPC Hybrid?

No but because I'm already up for September & in Dublin. However it does look interesting for those that are not around the capital I guess!

Advertisement