Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Picking on form. Big calls

Doris back in for Deegan
    JGP in for McGrath
    Furlong dropped for Porter is the biggest but correct on current form

Larmour at 15 is good to see. RK on bench is strange one? especially with D Kearney in squad whocould cover 15

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Nakarawa a free agent.

I would pay good money to see that man in blue. Can you imagine him in a Lancaster coached team partnering Ryan in the second row.

Holy back to back titles batman.

He is an incredible player but seems like there's discipline issues there. Like if he's too lackadaisical for a team that's letting Zebo stuff his face with croissants then I don't think he's going to fit in.

Good team, think the switch in the back 3 is correct. D.Kearney has been really good this season.

Furlong on the bench for a game of this magnitude is a bit mad but that's a fair enough call. I knew Big Dev would start, right call too imo.

Will Connors has been playing out of his skin, I know he doesn't really fit in the 23 but harsh on him and he can feel hard done by.

JGP is the correct call.

VDF has been exceptional so far this season. I know Connors playing well but for a game like this VDF experience wins it.

Honestly I think all the calls are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Saints Team:

15 Ahsee Tuala
    14 Tom Collins
    13 Matt Proctor
    12 Rory Hutchinson
    11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
    10 Dan Biggar
    9 Cobus Reinach

1 Alex Waller (co-capt)
    2 Mike Haywood
    3 Ehren Painter
    4 Alex Moon
    5 Api Ratuniyarawa
    6 Tom Wood
    7 Jamie Gibson
    8 Teimana Harrison (co-capt)

Replacements:
    16 Michael van Vuuren
    17 Francois van Wyk
    18 Paul Hill
    19 Alex Coles
    20 Lewis Ludlam
    21 Connor Tupai
    22 James Grayson
    23 Piers Francis

Can't see how their pack is going to cope with ours. On paper it's a huge gulf in class. In practice we also have some players who have bounced back from a disappointing RWC in phenomenal fashion.

Leinster 6 point favourites for this one. Think it will be 10 or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd like to see Connors in for the Aviva game

I'd like to see Connors in for the Aviva game

He hasn't played a game in Europe yet has he? I thought I read that and was very surprised (though he did miss most of last season)

I'd love to see him chopping fellas all day next week.

I think it's probably more likely that he will have a bigger part to play in the interpros.

Josh will have his minutes managed over that time and we're still very short of 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's a good team - delighted with that.

JGP well deserves the start - he has been our best SH for a while now IMO. D Kearney has been great too, so delighted for him and Porter well deserves the start. Surprised Rob is benching, but very happy to see Larmour start.

Really looking forward to this match. I think Leinster should win, but probably not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good to see Doris back available after that nasty knock against Benetton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Looking forward to this one. Should be a good one.
    Dev is rolling along nicely could play a part in the 6nations. Porter gets a big game start! That's something I don't think I would have saw, Furlong on the bench. A win here, sets us up nicely. Next weekend, there might be some rotation? Possibly Fardy, Luke and Tadgh starting. Maybe RK also. Not bad options.
    For the interpro's I think we're going to see the youngsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

The way the Leinster team is picked is exactly how I'd like to see the Ireland team picked...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

To clarify picking on form.....^

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

Heard on the grapevine that there was a bad injury at training today.

Any word if this has been confirmed?

The way the Leinster team is picked is exactly how I'd like to see the Ireland team picked...

Full of Leinster players? Me too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

To clarify picking on form.....^

Connors is probably the form player over JvdF. Possibly Murphy ahead of Ruddock too (although maybe he's not available this week after what happened against Glasgow). Tomane and C. O'Brien are the players producing the goods at IC instead of Henshaw. Keenan is in great form but RK gets in ahead. So I think you're seeing what you want to see a bit.

Plus, it's way easier to introduce players at the level Leinster play at most of the time. A 6N game or a test against a big SH team is another level entirely. For Leinster's biggest games, the knock-out matches, the most experienced players are always wheeled out.

And anyway, there was a brief period when James Ryan and Andrew Porter were higher up the pecking order for Ireland than they were for Leinster, so hard top find fault with Schmidt from that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Connors is probably the form player over JvdF. Possibly Murphy ahead of Ruddock too (although maybe he's not available this week after what happened against Glasgow). Tomane and C. O'Brien are the players producing the goods at IC instead of Henshaw. Keenan is in great form but RK gets in ahead. So I think you're seeing what you want to see a bit.

Plus, it's way easier to introduce players at the level Leinster play at most of the time. A 6N game or a test against a big SH team is another level entirely. For Leinster's biggest games, the knock-out matches, the most experienced players are always wheeled out.

And anyway, there was a brief period when James Ryan and Andrew Porter were higher up the pecking order for Ireland than they were for Leinster, so hard top find fault with Schmidt from that regard.

Vdf was excellent against Lyon. Could easily been man of the match. (Which is a nonsense award anyway)
    Ruddock was very good as well.
    Not like either playing poorly and Connors being left out. Connors chance will come. He looks unreal.

Difference between Ireland and Leinster is Leinster are playing form players. Gibson park and Porter are form calls. Would agree henshaw lucky to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Vdf was excellent against Lyon. Could easily been man of the match. (Which is a nonsense award anyway)
    Not like either playing poorly and Connors being left out. Connors chance will come. He looks unreal.

Difference between Ireland and Leinster is Leinster are playing form players. Gibson park and Porter are form calls. Would agree henshaw lucky to be in.

VDF was the best player on the pitch by a mile against Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The interpro's will bear fruit for the new lads. How they perform then, will be a gauge to see where they are.
    Whilst I really like Keenan, I think he's better on the wing. I think that this round of the Euros will be all we see of the frontline players for a few weeks. Plenty of opportunities for lads to play down markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have one spare ticket for anyone that might be around Northampton today, standing section. Face value of 30 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

FrannoFan wrote: »

How can you take that post seriously? The recency affect is now down to one game. The only inform players we can consider are the 23 from last weekend. Sure the fact the internationals haven’t been playing for us can’t be factored in at all. Or the quality of the opposition, none of those things matter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    How can you take that post seriously? The recency affect is now down to one game. The only inform players we can consider are the 23 from last weekend. Sure the fact the internationals haven’t been playing for us can’t be factored in at all. Or the quality of the opposition, none of those things matter :rolleyes:

Seemingly none of those things matter to some posters

Or the fact that players got rested for the last match so they are prepared for this match....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Positive start, has the makings of a cracking match this. Pitch and conditions look excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Heaslip refusing to comment on the “knock on”. Laughs as usual. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Northampton looking pretty good.

Northampton try, this is set up for some match

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2 poor attempted tackles from Ringrose in the build up there. Brushed aside easily,

Great start for a neutral!

Leinster being ripped apart through the middle so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That's an awful miss of a forward pass but jaysus we got out of jail at the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Blatant forward pass in midfield there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement