Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is BJJ all that?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Was just wondering what the title says really. Im a big fan of MMA but this is by far the one art that least interests me.

So I was just wondering if anyone feels the same/felt the same but has had their opinion changed by actually participating in BJJ, especially coming from a different background.

To me it just reminds me of 2 kids of a young age "fighting". I hope im not coming across as being disrespectful, because I know its an integral part of any fighters game but is it that interesting and that enjoyable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

JMCD wrote: »
    is it that interesting and that enjoyable?

Yes, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Try it and find out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's all that and a kettle of fish!

BJJ is a very fun sport, that just so happens to be an effective means of self-defense. Is it the be all and end all of martial arts? Of course not. But is it pretty damn sexy? You betcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think that the thing with BJJ, maybe more than any other martial art, is that if you use it on an opponent with no knowledge of it you can totally dominate them. That was the key to why Royce did so good in the early UFCs

BJJ is the art that I most like to watch. I think that it's really open, there's so much that you can do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Really unless you try it out you'll never know how effective it really is.

Ive yet to meet somone who tried it and didnt have the same reaction I did ... which was "f*ck me! that was some crazy cool sh!t"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

BJJ is the only thing I really love in fighting. I'm in and out of love with everything else, but BJJ keeps me coming back.

Copied from the Ring of Truth forum, an interview with Damian Maia:
    Congratulations for winning your last fight at UFC 95. This is your 10th win in a row, the 5th in UFC. Your first pro MMA fight was with Polish Lukas Chlewicki, just 3 years ago. Do you remember that fight?

Actually this is my 11 win. My first MMA fight was against Raul Sosa, in Venezuela, in 2001. About my fight against Lukas, of course I remember. It was a tough fight, he is a good fighter. He escaped from many positions but in the end I got him in an arm-lock.
    >
    > You've been preparing yourself for the fight at Wanderlei Silva's gym. The result of it was visible during your last fight. Was the change of your fighting style intentional or it is side effect of collaboration with Wanderlei Silva?

I didn t change my style. I just didn t need to fight too much stand up before. This fight I did a litle bit. Of course training with Wanderlei helps me a lot. He gives a lot of attention to me. I normally go there 3 weeks before my fights, to do the final preparation there. Most of my training I do in Brasil.
    >
    > After your last win everyone expects your fight with Anderson Silva. He has a nearly god status in UFC, do you think that anyone can beat him?

I think I could beat him.
    >
    > You are famous for your submissions. From your MMA fights only 1 you've won by TKO and another one by judges decision. You're notorious in winning ?submission of the night' honours in UFC. Do you think that BJJ techniques should be practiced in no holds barred fights in mind?

Always. BJJ was create for self-defense, and thats how we should pratice this.
    >
    > What do of think about Brock Lesnar? Is he a future of UFC?

He has just feel MMA fights, we cannot have too much conclusions about him.
    >
    > Let's talk about non UFC fighters. The first person to mention is Fedor. What makes him so great fighter? Does anyone can beat him? It is announced Fedor will fight at ADCC this year, what do you expect?

I think what makes him a great fighter is his mind, more than his skill. I mean, he has great skill, but the most amazing thing is his mind. There s just feel guys whom can beat him. About ADCC, I don t think he has a good chance. There s so much great graplers there and he cannot punch the guys, just graple with them.
    >
    > You're author of great series of tutorial films ? Science of Jiu jitsu?, what, in your opinion, is the most important thing for every BJJ practitioner to learn?

Good basic, complete BJJ, with self-defence, gi and no gi.
    >
    > One of the most important parts of preparation for the fight is physical training. Can you describe your usual workout?

Crazy. The most hard workout in the world. I almost die. Thats what my phisical coach (Rafael Alejarra) does to me. He is the guy.
    >
    > At the end of our talk, can you give some advise for young people who want to be professional fighters?

Train BJJ because you will need it. And make sure that you love to fight. Don t go for that because the money or the fame. The only way to be a champion is to love what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

as someone who's never tried mma / bjj ill add my uneducated opinion :D

Way i see it over here anyway , if you dont train bjj/jj you got nothing to defend yourself with either from getting taken down or getting out of trouble once your on the ground. In the US many of the fighters would have a wrestling background from school / college as a base for take down defense etc. Over here (open to correction) wrestling isnt very common i would have though and even less people instructing. So other martial arts like bjj and judo etc are trained. Adding more tools to the box i guess .

At the end of the day different people like different things when they watch a mma fight . I personally love the ground game. But in mma the rules allow for a fight to go to the ground and not doing some form of training for and against those attacks would leave a major hole in any fighters game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

BJJ is essential for mma, these days at the top level its less noticed as most fighters cancel each other out with it, so its less noticed than it was when 1 fighter had none or poor bjj, thats why striking is dominating at the moment, the top strikers have good level jitz so can use it to defend the bjj and can utilize there striking to its max, wrestling and striking combined seem to be the key these days but without the bjj knowledge most fighters would get subbed easy enough. Bjj is and always will be important, even if its less visible than it used to be in mma.. Thats because everyone has it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

dunkamania wrote: »
    Try it and find out :rolleyes:
    Really unless you try it out you'll never know how effective it really is.

Ive yet to meet somone who tried it and didnt have the same reaction I did ... which was "f*ck me! that was some crazy cool sh!t"

Thanks for the replies lads. I think I will try it see what all the fuss is about:p, its not something that really appeals to me although I know how important it is in mma so I guess I'll bite the bullet and let you guys know if I become addicted!:D

Thanks once again.

Put it this way, if you DON'T have BJJ (even if u just train sub defence) then you wont do much in MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

Thanks for the replies lads. I think I will try it see what all the fuss is about:p, its not something that really appeals to me although I know how important it is in mma so I guess I'll bite the bullet and let you guys know if I become addicted!:D

Thanks once again.
    As some of the lads said, you have to give it a go. I took it up to get an insight into what it was all about, thougt it was a bit of a boor or gayfest as I've heard it when fellas on non MMA sites discuss the UFC. Thought I'd learn a few escapes, the odd submission etc so I could deal with it if I ended on my arse on the floor. Within a few weeks I was saying, this is not only REAL deal, rolling as we call teh equivalent of sparring is a fantastic buzz. Great crack and I find their is much more genuine sportsmanship invovled than in sparring in strikiing systems, where despite what everyone pretends, it gets a bit too personal at times :rolleyes: I mean when one fella taps out another, it's not unusual for the winner to explain to the other guy where he made a mistake or explain the technique used that the other person may not be familiar with to allow him get the win. You'd never see that in striking.

Also an important aspect, because it uses arrest and retraint techniques, I've used it in secutiry work to great effect. Now TKD and boxing etc are obviously good if you get in a punchup, but my point is, if you punch a fella in the face and give him a black eye or kick him in the ribs and crack a rib - you could be in legal trouble. I know there are other arts that claim to be effective at arrest and restraint - none of them anywhere as realistic and effective as BJJ in my experience.
    So if you need it for door/security work etc - it's the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

but is it that interesting and that enjoyable?
    To train yes, to watch no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

O'Leprosy wrote: »
    As some of the lads said, you have to give it a go. I took it up to get an insight into what it was all about, thougt it was a bit of a boor or gayfest

Its only gay if you make eye contact
    http://www.stevekwan.com/graphics/postings/jiu-jitsu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

It's a bit like making love with a fat woman

Jason Mc wrote: »
    It's a bit like making love with a fat woman

No BJJ is fun, surfing is more like doing a fatty!

its ok to do just not fun to watch

Jason Mc wrote: »
    its ok to do just not fun to watch

I'll leave the fattys to you, even they need lovin! i went there once and never again, please dont ruin bjj for me comparing the 2!!

my advice is to not go north south, especially if she's on top

they usually have a good base and can be hard to shift

If you do roll with one, taking them in guard or from back control is the best option

lights out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

BJJ is essential and effective, but not as much as some would have you believe.
    To really utilise BJJ in modern MMA, you need good wrestling, and of course standup.

You can be an amazing BJJ fighter, but if you can't get the guy on the ground, you're gonna get your ass kicked time and time again (*cough* Travis Lutter *cough*).

All in all it's necesary to do anything in MMA.
    Imagine going into a fight not willing to throw a punch?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

If you're interested in becoming a MMA fighter you have to train BJJ (or something equivalent). No ifs or buts. You also have to train Wrestling and boxing (or equivalents). No ifs, no buts.

If you're interested in learning more about BJJ to enjoy being a fan more, you need to go out and train and learn it. BJJ is a chore to watch outside of a highlight reel and the only way of enjoying the sport is rolling.

The other cool thing about BJJ is that you can basically train in it as often as you can because once you understand how to play the game injuries are fairly rare. Wrestle every day in a competitive environment or box everyday in a competitive environment even if you understand sparring you'll still pick up knocks or exhaust yourself if you're cardio isn't top notch. BJJ is a sport you can start training in at a 40 year old and keep going for 30 years.

So MMA fan, fighter or casual martial arts enthusiast BJJ is something I consider essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYD-j9GSvo

this is a good short (older) Doc re the effectiveness of BJJ/GJJ in early UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Was just wondering what the title says really. Im a big fan of MMA but this is by far the one art that least interests me.

So I was just wondering if anyone feels the same/felt the same but has had their opinion changed by actually participating in BJJ, especially coming from a different background.

To me it just reminds me of 2 kids of a young age "fighting". I hope im not coming across as being disrespectful, because I know its an integral part of any fighters game but is it that interesting and that enjoyable?

Yes, it really is. For most of my life i have been big, strong and fast. I always felt that i was quite physically capable and had been doing doorwork for years and had been taking part in very physical sports as well. I had some experience with other arts and with their "sporting" ruleset, or engaging in an actual fight, i had always acquitted myself very well.

The first time i went to a proper class set up for BJJ i got a great idea of exactly what it is that BJJ is. It was something that all my previous experience left me completely unprepared for. I actually felt like i had just found how to effectively control another human being for the first time.

It was all hammered home the first time i rolled with Dunk here, we were about the same size, i was a lot stronger than he was and he easily controlled me. Don't underestimate the word "easy" either, I was literally like a child in his hands.

It's a great art and when combined with other arts in other ranges i would feel it is an essential part of a complete fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

:eek: Say it aint so.

Go watch any Judo Newaza, Aoki, Maia, Sambo, Jacare or Lister HL reel.
    Really.... watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

RNCFAN wrote: »
    Go watch any Judo Newaza, Aoki, Maia, Sambo, Jacare or Lister HL reel.
    Really.... watch them.

HL reels of BJJ matches are fine, other than that it can get very boring to watch very quick.
    The other cool thing about BJJ is that you can basically train in it as often as you can because once you understand how to play the game injuries are fairly rare. Wrestle every day in a competitive environment or box everyday in a competitive environment even if you understand sparring you'll still pick up knocks or exhaust yourself if you're cardio isn't top notch. BJJ is a sport you can start training in at a 40 year old and keep going for 30 years.
    Tis true. One doesn't need to be nearly as athletic to be competitive at BJJ as one would for boxing or wrestling.

Watch this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4u41omoNO4U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4u41omoNO4U&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u41omoNO4U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

that's judo footage

that's judo footage

And really cool Judo footage at that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    And really cool Judo footage at that..

Paul Judo can be pretty exciting, and tough.

If you'd like to see a good training night drop out to us in Portmarnock on Thursday @ 7pm. You'll get lots of ground work up there too.

There's also training tonight, but it'll be a small attendance due to the holiday (and I'm off the mat with this damn cold/flu I'm battling).

But not to hi-jack the OP's question.

Personally I've never been drawn to BJJ, however the best description of both BJJ & Judo I've heard was from John Kavanagh when he said they were opposite sides of the same coin. And indeed the most exciting BJJ fighters I've seen have also been competent Judoka.

Mairt wrote: »
    Paul Judo can be pretty exciting, and tough.

If you'd like to see a good training night drop out to us in Portmarnock on Thursday @ 7pm. You'll get lots of ground work up there too.

There's also training tonight, but it'll be a small attendance due to the holiday (and I'm off the mat with this damn cold/flu I'm battling).

Training my lads tonight but i know judo can be great, i've done a bit in my time-:)

respect

• Advertisement

that's judo footage

Yes, I know. I had advised him to watch Newaza and other HLs to get a taste of all things grappling.

Advertisement