Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MMO Server Emulation

Options
  • 03-01-2016 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

A topic I am greatly interested in. Mostly because I love to reverse engineer and figure out binary structures. Sort of like a puzzle for me.

Has anyone else here ever been involved in it in any way?

I currently am project lead and webmaster of a Ultima Online emulator written in c#. The community feel is awesome and you end up meeting some insane talent out there. We have members of all skill levels and the new guys end up learning a lot from the project. If any of you guys want to check us out we are at ServUO.com

I am interested in other people's experiences though. From any game emulation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

This is something I'm also interested in but I'm very inexperienced on the coding side of things. I've looked at the many attempts at WoW server emulators and the code base on many of them is so vast its mind boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

ryanch09 wrote: »
    This is something I'm also interested in but I'm very inexperienced on the coding side of things. I've looked at the many attempts at WoW server emulators and the code base on many of them is so vast its mind boggling!

The codebase is vast indeed. I have never really looked into WoW emulation as the game never really appealed to me but in our emulator there is something like 1.5 million lines of code in the main project and a few 10k more in libraries. The project is about 15 years old though so it grew over the years.

Advertisement