Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MMA Referees

Options
  • 08-09-2010 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering how the referees for MMA events in Ireland are trained/selected. It seems to me that it's a hugely important job as serious injuries could occur if the referee fails to intervene to stop a fight when necessary to do so etc. If somebody were interested in trying to become an MMA referee what steps should that person take in order to begin to do so? Also, is it a requirement for referees to have some level of first aid training?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

The refs people use are experienced fighters and/or coaches. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 high quality refs who do almost every show. While I can't comment on how much first aid they'd have, I would say that it's not a requirement for their job since it's compulsory to have a medic (doctor or paramedic) at ring/cageside.

You're entirely right however, it would be extremely dangerous to have a poor referee who didn't stop fights in time, so we're quite lucky to have such good ones. In fact most of the refereeing "controversies" you see in Ireland pertain to fights being stopped early rather than being stopped after damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Personally I think it helps to have fought but probably not a concrete requirement. Coached I would say definitely. You need to understand all ranges, striking including muay thai clinch, wrestling, all positions and submissions in bjj/sub wrestling. Then a thorough understanding and implementation of the rules being used by the promotion you are working with. In the very near future hopefully this will be obvious as all shows will use same rules.

I have a rec 2 (mountain first aid) and a LS2 through the IRFU as well as an AED cert, which has to be redone every 3 months. This if for my job as opposed to refereeing but I think they can come in handy.

Oh and a very thick skin comes in handy but if you always call straight down the middle you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Has there ever been a "Referee Seminar" in Ireland? I think it would be a great idea if someone ran one. There are a lot of people who want to be a part of MMA but do not want to fight. Not sure if there are many MMA refs in Ireland (Dave being the only one that I know of) Does anyone think this is a good idea? I know Marc Goddard is doing one in the UK soon and it has got a lot of people interested in it.

Link: http://fighthounds.com/mma/mma-referee-judges-seminar-by-marc-goddard/

Not trying to plug the site before anyone starts (Mods can move the link if they like)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Has there ever been a "Referee Seminar" in Ireland? I think it would be a great idea if someone ran one.

I have spoke to Peter Lavery and asked him could he sort out a Referee coaching course so there was maybe 10 or so new refs, if Dave Jones was onside too we would have 2 top refs from both ends of our land running it and giving there vast experience to the future refs, the main reason for this would be too take pressure of them lads as they are very busy and must get a pain travelling every week to shows, i would like this to be done using coaches and fighters, people who don't coach or compete should stick to the supporting MMA position imo as thats what there best at and don't have the same understanding of whats happening in the heat of a battle as people who have been there.

And before anyone mentions Big John-he's a terrible ref and more of a UFC made figure than anything!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    i would like this to be done using coaches and fighters, people who don't coach or compete should stick to the supporting MMA position imo as thats what there best at and don't have the same understanding of whats happening in the heat of a battle as people who have been there.

I get what you are saying but I don't think that is fair for people who are not fighters or coaches, the whole point of a seminar is to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I get what you are saying but I don't think that is fair for people who are not fighters or coaches, the whole point of a seminar is to learn.

you cant learn what it's like to get the face pounded off you in a seminar, or get the feel for when the fighter has no escape etc...

If people don't want to compete or coach i would say there fans or just looking to get fit, keep that up as that's cool.

But leave the fighting part to people who have experience in it, all our current refs have fought and most are also knowledgable coaches too, best of both worlds.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    you cant learn what it's like to get the face pounded off you in a seminar, or get the feel for when the fighter has no escape etc...

If people don't want to compete or coach i would say there fans or just looking to get fit, keep that up as that's cool.

But leave the fighting part to people who have experience in it, all our current refs have fought and most are also knowledgable coaches too, best of both worlds.

Very true, safety first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Hopefully the growth in the number of MMA shows taking place in Ireland at the moment will not be compromised by a shortage of referees or officials.

The number of shows isn't the issue it's when promoters don't communicate and there are show clashes. I really don't think the country is big enough for two big shows on same night there aren't enough fighters which is already on another thread. As for Marc Goddards venture good luck to him but I have reffed a lot more fights than him and I don't think people should be charged for what is basically common sense. I believe lee hasdell is running an ISKA one soon too. Besides, going on a course or even just reading the rules for youself doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to apply them if you have no background in the fight ranges concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

why are you so eager to get into a cage or ring? sound like you just want to seem important, i don't think many fighters would have the respect for a ref who has never fought or coached as the have for the likes of dave jones or peter lavery, fighters safty is more important than your ego

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

I think it would be extremely difficult to become a referee without some experience fighting, even at an amateur level (C class).

Attending a seminar would give participants an insight into the theory of being a referee but none of the pratical experience. That experience could be earned by refereeing at the MMA league and moving from there to amateur shows before finally making the grade to professional fights.

We are very lucky to have such experienced and confident referees working here. I wouldnt want to see that change by just anyone becoming a referee by attending a seminar or weekend course.

why are you so eager to get into a cage or ring? sound like you just want to seem important, i don't think many fighters would have the respect for a ref who has never fought or coached as the have for the likes of dave jones or peter lavery, fighters safty is more important than your ego

When did I say I wanted to get into a ring or a cage? Ian made a post about "MMA Referees" and I made a reply. That is what you do on a forum! I am a fan of the sport and nothing else and if I wanted to step into a ring or cage I would do it the hard way by training ass off like the rest of the fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

So does a ref have to have competed/Coached in MMA or studied all forms which make up MMA before he can be considered competent enough to ref?
    I only ask because not all coaches are proficient in all martial art forms, what if you coach BJJ and wrestling at a gym you will have no experience 'getting the face pounded off you' but by the standards set out in this thread you would be eligible to ref because you have coached. Do you get what i'm saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

Quadsey wrote: »
    So does a ref have to have competed/Coached in MMA or studied all forms which make up MMA before he can be considered competent enough to ref?
    I only ask because not all coaches are proficient in all martial art forms, what if you coach BJJ and wrestling at a gym you will have no experience 'getting the face pounded off you' but by the standards set out in this thread you would be eligible to ref because you have coached. Do you get what i'm saying?

I'm not even sure you get what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Steve Mazzagati is coming to do a seminar. Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Hopefully the growth in the number of MMA shows taking place in Ireland at the moment will not be compromised by a shortage of referees or officials.
    Hopefully it will. Too many shows are running as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

I'm not even sure you get what you are saying.

What is the point of a response like that? I'm asking a valid question so if you don't have a legitimate response try not block up the thread with pointless replies.

I think all refs should have relevant experience of striking arts relevant to MMA ie thai or boxing but preferably the former, and equally experience of bjj, how it works how it flows, positions, submissions etc

Do I think its possible to ref without the above, sure, do I think it is possible to ref well without the above? No.

Advertisement