Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brendan Grace has passed

Comments

As a kid of the '80s I used to absolutely love when my dad arrived with cassettes of his shows. The material told in them long faded from memory but what hasn't is how wonderfully happy I was listening to the sets

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

McCrack wrote: »
    There was certain aspects to Brendan Grace off stage/screen that were not appealing and anyone that has had dealings with him over the years may attest to.

However I do acknowledge his talent and his passing and that he leaves behind a family, friends and fans.

If this were true (anyone who knew him says otherwise) this isn't the time to bring up such things. We have wonderful traditions here in Ireland. One of these traditions is not to speak ill of the dead for a respectful amount of time. The mans family could be reading this. I'm at a loss why you'd feel the need to even hint at something like that & the man barely 12 hours dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Very sad news. I've fond memories of being at home at Xmas with my parents and grandad, all of us laughing at his videos and having a great time together. Three generations of fans. Not every comedian can boast of that type of legacy. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

RIP Father Fintan Stack. Removal from St. Clabberts at...

(For me, BG's most memorable character.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

There was certain aspects to Brendan Grace off stage/screen that were not appealing and anyone that has had dealings with him over the years may attest to.

However I do acknowledge his talent and his passing and that he leaves behind a family, friends and fans.

That is the only time I've heard anything bad about him - and with zero detail as well.

You could have waited a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My worst fears were confirmed when Aengus Mac Anally was on RTÉ News at One O'Clock today saying that Ireland will miss Brendan Grace.

One of my uncles absolutely loved Brendan Grace. He came in one night with his partner a few years back telling Brendan Grace's jokes to myself & my mam. He then said that he (Brendan) was very funny.

Brendan Grace was a living legend while on both stage & screen. It's so sad to know that he died at a very young age in his life.

I hope he has a great send off when he has his funeral because he deserves it. R.I.P. Brendan Grace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have heard absolutely nothing bad about him. He was a gentleman by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

"Free a nipper"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I met him once at the old Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge at JFK before a flight, it must have been about 1993. There were only 2-3 other people there but didn't want to disturb him as he was immersed in whatever he was reading. Anyways I saw him go up for some drinks so I went up as well and said "How'ya Bottler", he started laughing and said I saw you watching me. We ended up having a nice chat for about 10 minutes, he was a very nice and gracious guy. When I was a kid we had a 45 of one of his bits about Bottler going to the circus and Combine Harvester on the other side. I must have played it about a thousand times.

RIP Bottler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

FatherTed wrote: »
    I met him once at the old Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge at JFK before a flight, it must have been about 1993. There were only 2-3 other people there but didn't want to disturb him as he was immersed in whatever he was reading. Anyways I saw him go up for some drinks so I went up as well and said "How'ya Bottler", he started laughing and said I saw you watching me. We ended up having a nice chat for about 10 minutes, he was a very nice and gracious guy. When I was a kid we had a 45 of one of his bits about Bottler going to the circus and Combine Harvester on the other side. I must have played it about a thousand times.

RIP Bottler

That really was the measure of the man. I remember seeing him in Dublin city a few years back with some of his family and he had time for anyone who came up to say hello. Anytime I seen him afterwards he was always about his fans and he would stay around for ages after a gig so that anyone who wanted to get a photo or just say hello, got to do so. Very few celebs are like that nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

His daughter was on radio this afternoon and people were ringing in with their stories of him. A comedy legend, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

"Oh, worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

there are few that truly deserve the title of 'legend' but this man is one.

unbelievably funny and always seemed a lovely man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

xzanti wrote: »
    Oh shut up.
    People can't bring themselves to say the 'D' word anymore.

Would have enjoyed his routine as a kid, kind of grew out of it though. He had his audience fair play to him.
    RIP.

I hate the nitpicking over saying passed or passed away instead of died. Welcome to the English language where euphemisms are commonplace. I doubt you were suffering any confusion over what people meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

flazio wrote: »
    So sad, may he Rest in peace.

On a side note, some people need to watch how they use social media.

RIP a true Irish comedy legend

"If you ever say that to me again, I'll put your head through the wall"

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.r...=0&w=205&h=154

I don't think anyone was being malice posting RIP tributes on social media believing he had passed before official confirmation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I’ve already responded to this with my personal positive experience of Brendan, but this post has really annoyed me. I can’t let it go. What a ****tty thing to say without any evidence. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Yes. Me too. Just slipped it in, no detail. The poster probably won't appear on the thread again but has cast doubts over Brendan Grace as a person to anyone who didn't know him. Very poor reflection on that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Agreed; and that poster is more than likely a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have never heard of any bad encounter from anyone anywhere with him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have been saddened by this today in a way I didn't expect.

My parents both died when I was quite young and one of my abiding memories of them from when I was very young was them laughing their heads off at Brendan Grace on the telly. It feels like another part of them died today - or joined them.

RIP Bottler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

I loved his song about the women with five legs.

"It could be worse, at least your knickers fit like a glove".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate the nitpicking over saying passed or passed away instead of died. Welcome to the English language where euphemisms are commonplace. I doubt you were suffering any confusion over what people meant.

Calm down a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

As a kid of the '80s I used to absolutely love when my dad arrived with cassettes of his shows. The material told in them long faded from memory but what hasn't is how wonderfully happy I was listening to the sets
    This ^^ Loved him as a young lad...as an adult his humour didn't hold up for me..but always liked him.

Free the nipper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Rest in Peace.

I had a bone to pick with him as a young lad.

Brendan's nipper must have been taking steroids because young me got one after an insufferable amount of collecting points, only to go into the cashier and take home a nipper that seemed to have been liberated from Dachau..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE 2 showing the Father Ted episode 'New Jack City' at 9.30, RTE 1 showing Brendan Grace, Funny Man at 10.15 and Virgin Media One showing Living With Lucy featuring Brendan at 10pm for anyone wanting a quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I once worked in a small company and we used to have our Christmas office parties in the hazel hotel in Monasterevin where Brendan was on stage before the dancing started. he was absolutely hilarious. always remember him telling the yarn of buying a talking weighing scales and when he stood up on it it said 'one at a time please'
    Rip Brendan. fondly remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

his fr ted episode is starting now on rte2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

RIP Brendan.

This was so sudden. I had tickets booked for me and my parents. Watched him as a child at various shows and charity events. He was so decent to charitable causes. I'll never forget the Christmas Panto in the Olympia. My first time there. Early 80s. Bottler Crusoe. Hilarious! Spent many a Sunday in the Blackchurch Inn as a kid, when Brendan owned it and he'd be in there givin it socks with punters. Nice memories. Thanks BG and once again RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

His performance as Fintan Stack is hilarious and unnerving in equal measure. Cracked me up and creeped me out. A brilliant performance in a show full of brilliant one-off characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What is the tune Fr. Fintan Stack is playing on the ghetto blaster?

Advertisement