Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.

The word Reverend is used too loosely up there. The poster was right originally with knack bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

It's massive ! like a building, how the hell does it stay stable, is there many injuries of lads falling when they are putting pallets on the top ??
    We live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

There are plenty of laws governing what is going on up in northern Ireland. Incitement to hatred, environmental damage etc etc.

NI is light years ahead of the south when it comes to dealing with this kind of thing. The Gardai have no resources assigned to them or laws in place to stop IRA marches in Dublin, which is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Berserker wrote: »
    Belfast city centre is a great family day out also. People just sitting around, watching the bands going by and having a nice day out. A heck of a lot more civilised that St Patricks day, I can tell you that.

Oh look kids, this float celebrates how we used the world's largest army to carve out a supremacist enclave for ourselves in which we can brutalise the natives at our will.

They used to have this scum baggery in South Africa also, and there was often a guise of 'family fun day out'. As luck would have it, the DUP were deeply supportive of the apartheid regime in SA in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They are goin to party like it's 1699.

• Advertisement

NI is light years ahead of the south when it comes to dealing with this kind of thing.

But they chose not to?
    The Gardai have no resources assigned to them or laws in place to stop IRA marches in Dublin, which is interesting.

Again, like comparing the mass destruction of loyalist bonfires to the small remember internment bonfires, you are comparing 2 things with a massive disparity in scale.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    :D Yeah... We often burn effigies of our neighbours on St Patrick's Day.

I was commenting on the atmosphere during the parade itself. The focus on the burning of flags etc is very interesting. Nationalists burn UJs, Israeli flags, posters of DUP politicans on their bonfires but nobody ever mentions it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NI is light years ahead of the south when it comes to dealing with this kind of thing.

Dear me the delusion deepens.
    The Gardai have no resources assigned to them or laws in place to stop IRA marches in Dublin, which is interesting.

The Gardai didn't intervene in that march because that march broke no laws and was mostly peaceful.
    We know the northern Ireland state is 'light years ahead' on these things, the police there would probably have waded in with batons and rubber bullets and dragged people off to summary justice and jail. And of course they would do that to all confrontational protesters and marcher, equally! :):)

I was commenting on the atmosphere during the parade itself. The focus on the burning of flags etc is very interesting. Nationalists burn UJs, Israeli flags, posters of DUP politicans on their bonfires but nobody ever mentions it.

On a much smaller scale, contained within their own areas for their own enjoyment, nothing like the towering infernos we see now.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Again, like comparing the mass destruction of loyalist bonfires to the small remember internment bonfires, you are comparing 2 things with a massive disparity in scale.

They are no different. The media never cover internment bonfires down here. What do you make of this bonfire?

https://cdn-01.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article35972042.ece/2b401/AUTOCROP/w620h342/ONFIRE-Derry%20no2-.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,970 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Belfast city centre is a great family day out also. People just sitting around, watching the bands going by and having a nice day out. A heck of a lot more civilised that St Patricks day, I can tell you that.

Lol wains will be drunk and mess everywhere it's just the same as Paddy's Day but added in more drink and mess from bonfire's tonight which will be left again for rate payers to pay while they all sleep they hangovers off before getting their dole and dla

Dear me the delusion deepens.

NI doesn't allow republican terrorists to stroll down the streets of it's capital city. The RoI does and aside for a few woolly remarks nothing more is made of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Really sad and pathetic the way some individals feel the need to defend scumbaggery, thuggery and blatant triumphalism on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah right, that exclusionary atmosphere in celebrating a battle against your neighbours from a few hundred years ago, in the shared city centre, with military style marching bands, flags and slogans. Heartwarming for sure.

They are no different. The media never cover internment bonfires down here. What do you make of this bonfire?

https://cdn-01.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article35972042.ece/2b401/AUTOCROP/w620h342/ONFIRE-Derry%20no2-.jpg

AHH yes the protest bonfire that hoods did after the original smaller bonfire was removed by the police as the community wanted a family fun day but the hoods got what they wanted nobody else wanted it

It is wrong and also a disgrace. And thankfully not as widespread as it is in Unionist 'culture'.

One thing hugely missing in the comparison is Unionist leaders condemning vociferously this kind of behaviour and the roots of it, which lies fundamentally at the centre of Orange ideology...i.e. the heretofore mentioned 'culture'. Leave that in the past and we can move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see where there is a gigantic pile of pallets stacked up in an estate in Portadown which the fire service regard as a 'serious health and safety risk'. Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it. One things for certain if that was some years ago in a nationalist area the British army would be steaming in like a flash to dismantle it and anything else that was in its way.
    I think they were supposed to set fire to this last night, anyone know how it went.

My guess is that it is retaliatory and it was promptly taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

They are no different.
    Oh utter nonsense. They absolutely are different and you know it. Even Kevin Myers acknowledges that loyalists are worse.

Some unionists really need to grow up and admit reality.

Thankfully there are plenty of sensible ones who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't mind the bonfires, the flag burning, the effigies, its the size of the bonfires that trouble me. There is absolutely no need for it and then putting them up beside homes and buildings.

The whole place is a cesspit. Bonfires, marches, murals, "commemorations", recreational rioting. Their shared culture up there absolutely stinks.

It is amazing that both sides Identify staunchly as Irish or British, when both of them are nothing like Irish or British people.

• Advertisement

NI doesn't allow republican terrorists to stroll down the streets of it's capital city. The RoI does and aside for a few woolly remarks nothing more is made of it.

I'm curious how you've decided that those marchers were terrorists? the same way the NI state interred people for being Catholic I suppose.

AHH yes the protest bonfire that hoods did after the original smaller bonfire was removed by the police as the community wanted a family fun day but the hoods got what they wanted nobody else wanted it

A republican family fun day in Londonderry/Derry. Everyone is welcome, I suppose! I think I'll leave the thread at this point. I'm heading up to Belfast tomorrow, so I've a busy day ahead.

cgcsb wrote: »
    My guess is that it is retaliatory and it was promptly taken down.

Nope the original bonfire was taken down, that one was they built by hoods in reply to that and it was a nightmare time in Derry as nobody wanted it apart from those hoods who took over that part of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There is a massive difference. The bonfires, the intimidation, the aggressive nature of the marches, all have the full backing of the Loyalist community.
    Not a single DUP politician has condemned any of the intimidation and bonfires associated with the 12th.
    The stuff done on the nationalist side has zero support of any elected representatives.
    That is a massive disparity.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

janfebmar wrote: »
    Correct. In rural areas the day is more of just a family parade. Most areas do not have big bonfires. I cannot see the attraction in building bonfires. The Republicans do it too with anti internment anniversaries etc.
    One thing for sure, things are different up there, and there will never be a United Ireland in our lifetime, thank God.

hasn't been a republican bonfire in years .. every year in August in West Belfast it used to be mad .. kids getting killed and the area destroyed .. the west Belfast Festival was founded to get away from all the trouble and improve the lives of people living there .. giving people something to do, encouraging kids and teens to get away from collecting wood for bonfires. Growing up on the Falls Road most of my summer holidays involved this. But now they have the Festival to look forward to. No bonfires .. no contentious parades .. real culture have a look here http://feilebelfast.com/ This includes a massive Dance night in the Falls Park, Boyzone Concert (yeah real Culture) .. the World Cribby Championships! oh and the Wolf Tones! looked great craic last year! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MzEl7PqYsk

no bonfires!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

A republican family fun day in Londonderry/Derry. Everyone is welcome, I suppose! I think I'll leave the thread at this point. I'm heading up to Belfast tomorrow, so I've a busy day ahead.
    Of course you would throw that in.

Why on earth would a hardline unionist live in the Republic? :confused:

Same as how everyone is welcome to orange fest right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Only loyalist terrorists?

• Advertisement

To explain to you how archaic and unacceptable the ideology you are defending by saying it is 'a family day out', here is what was once an acceptable day out too...families gathering for a KKK 'day out'.

Jane_Snyder_at_K.K.K._services%2C_8-9-25_LCCN2016840308.jpg

1330728060.jpg

At the very least, nationalists have made a profound effort to get on the right side of history by condemning this culture of triumphalism and hate.

It's long since time the OO and Unionism did the same.

Advertisement