Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Millem wrote: »
    They use the old way. I got my breakage fee yesterday.

ah ok i was misunderstood

cant believe they are still doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Cyrus wrote: »
    ah ok i was misunderstood

cant believe they are still doing this.

They are some shower! At one stage they quoted €8k when I queried it they said they made a mistake and quoted €5k.

Anyway at this stage my fixed period is up in September of this year. They will waive breakage if I stay with them but want €1k if I move.
    I think half the time they make up the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Does the length you're into an fixed term impact the breakage fee?

18 months into 5 year fixed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I really don't know how the breakage fee works. I was only 9 months into my 5 year fixed with AIB - and to switch to the 5 year green had €0 breakage costs.

Ha, that's exactly what I mean! I asked previously and was quoted over 10k.

Does really seem like there are inconsistencies in what the fee can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well aib have their own formula but for everyone else its based on a proscribed one and changes with the borrowing rates of the banks

have a read

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/how-to-evaluate-if-its-worth-breaking-out-of-a-fixed-rate.208964/

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

chases0102 wrote: »
    Ha, that's exactly what I mean! I asked previously and was quoted over 10k.

Does really seem like there are inconsistencies in what the fee can be.

Not so much inconsistencies, as variables.

For example, with Ulster Bank, some of those variables would be how much it would cost the bank to lend you how much you owe today, for the amount of time you have left on your fixed part of the mortgage. So depending on the market the difference between the interest rates back when you fixed and today can be positive or negative. If negative then the break fee, for UB, is zero. This is gleaned from the very helpful folk in the Switcher Forum on Askaboutmoney.

Great info, makes it a bit clearer, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Half way through a 5 year fixed rate of 3.4% with UB, they've quoted me
    1666 breakage fee to change to a 2.3% 2 year fixed
    1883 breakage fee to change to a 2.6% 4 year or 5 year fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

I rang KBC to get my fee on the 7th of Jan and was given a quote of around €250. I wasn't quite ready to move on it so this expired. Rang again today to get a new fee, and it's not €2300! Shocked there was such a huge difference. Is it worth waiting another 2 weeks to see what the rates are like then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sync wrote: »
    I really don't know how the breakage fee works. I was only 9 months into my 5 year fixed with AIB - and to switch to the 5 year green had €0 breakage costs.

AIB told us they will waive it if we stay with them!

aomh wrote: »
    Half way through a 5 year fixed rate of 3.4% with UB, they've quoted me
    1666 breakage fee to change to a 2.3% 2 year fixed
    1883 breakage fee to change to a 2.6% 4 year or 5 year fixed

Are you sure about this?? Those look more like new repayments at those rates rather than the breakage fee. The break fee should be one figure and doesn't depend on what you are moving to - it's not part of the formula to calculate it - and is contained in a different letter to the rates letter which sets out repayments under various rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Sorry, that's the breakage fee if I leave the new rate early. So the breakage fee for my current one is 1927.88, approximately the saving I would make if I switched, and they won't waive the breakage fee if I stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I’m a bit confused about the cost of breaking our fixed rate mortgage in order to switch to a better rate. We’d like to change from a 4 yr fixed term with Ulster Bank which we’re halfway through to UBs 5 year fixed.

My husband phoned the bank to enquire and they sent us out a letter advising us that the cost of breaking the fixed term is the lesser of 6 months interest and another calculation which equals (the amount left on the mortgage) x (the difference in the money market rate at the date of drawdown and the money market rate at the date of breakage) x the number of days left on the fixed rate/360.

The letter we got from the bank just gives the 6 months interest cost which is €5.5kish but by my calculations, the other calculation should give a much lower break cost if I use the 12m euribor rates for a loose approximation. I would expect the break cost to be about €1k which would make changing interest rate worth our while.

So my question is, is the letter we received from UB just outlining the 6 months interest as a break cost very misleading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Where could one track this rate? Is it released publicly?

Usually its on the business rate pages.

Google Bank Cost of Funds rate and the bank name.

It differs from bank to bank. Ulster bank is currently 0.37:, bank of Ireland is 0.43%

It can change daily.

Aib do use the new method, but with a big drop in cost of funds, break fees have jumped.

Previously, banks were simply taking a bigger margin and as they reduced fixed rates, the margin fell as cost of funds did not change much, therefore the break fee was low.

But with cost of funds dropping by over 0.5%, break fees for most fixed rates have jumped

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Q&A

levi wrote: »
    I

So my question is, is the letter we received from UB just outlining the 6 months interest as a break cost very misleading?

UB do make it unnecessarily complicated.

Letter one is the maximum you would have to pay. I.e., they cap the fee at 6 months interest. That's all the letter really tells you.

Letter 2 will work out what the break fee will actually be based on changes in the cost of bank funding and the association of the 6 month interest cap.

Lucky you is you get the second letter. I periodically check to see what the break fee would be and is say half the time the letter never arrives.

levi wrote: »
    I’m a bit confused about the cost of breaking our fixed rate mortgage in order to switch to a better rate. We’d like to change from a 4 yr fixed term with Ulster Bank which we’re halfway through to UBs 5 year fixed.
    <snip>

I'm doing exactly the same, but am only six months into the 4-year fixed...

As Q&A says, Letter 1 (which you have got) is useful as it states the max you would have to pay on one of those new rates if you decide to break again in the future, say if the rates come down again or you want to move to a different bank. This seems to be confusing a lot of people, but TBH it's only of interest if you want to switch again in the future.
    The more important bit in the letter is the future repayments on those variety of different products, one of which you will now presumably switch to. BUT you have no idea how much the current break fee is, as you are missing Letter 2 which states it - I haven't got this either, asked for the cost to break last Monday and got Letter 1 today.

HOWEVER, as Letter 2 has been generated, UB can now tell you over the phone what the break fee is. They couldn't before if you requested the figure by phone as they hadn't crunched the numbers. So if it is worth your while - and look at the Askaboutmoney thread, it's NOT just about how much your repayments are reduced, it's also about how much extra you will have paid off the capital - you can then decide whether to accept the break fee over the phone and pay it then and there. I was lucky enough to have a break fee of zero :)

nephster wrote: »

HOWEVER, as Letter 2 has been generated, UB can now tell you over the phone what the break fee is. They couldn't before if you requested the figure by phone as they hadn't crunched the numbers.

Can I check if they've done this for you? Over the last 2 years I've probably called 4 times and each time they give me the talk of generating the letter and it taking 5-10 working days etc.

Q&A wrote: »
    Can I check if they've done this for you? Over the last 2 years I've probably called 4 times and each time they give me the talk of generating the letter and it taking 5-10 working days etc.

Yes, they did. In fact the first lady I spoke to last Monday specifically told me to ring again nearer the end of the week if the letter hadn't arrived, as the quote is only good for about 10 days but once the letter is on file they can see the details. She said I'd then be able to pay any fee by card over the phone, or arrange a transfer if it was above my card limit.
    So I rang again on Thursday, was put on hold for a minute, the lady told me the break fee of zero and I happily accepted to pay nothing :) Just had to wait till Letter 1 arrived so we could sign it and accept a specific rate.

fjon wrote: »
    I rang KBC to get my fee on the 7th of Jan and was given a quote of around €250. I wasn't quite ready to move on it so this expired. Rang again today to get a new fee, and it's not €2300! Shocked there was such a huge difference. Is it worth waiting another 2 weeks to see what the rates are like then?

Cost of funds has dropped substantially (0.5% or thereabouts) in the last couple of months for Irish banks which has allowed for these new rates - problem is, it increases the break fee and probably doesn't make it worthwhile

• Advertisement

nephster wrote: »
    Yes, they did. In fact the first lady I spoke to last Monday specifically told me to ring again nearer the end of the week if the letter hadn't arrived, as the quote is only good for about 10 days but once the letter is on file they can see the details. She said I'd then be able to pay any fee by card over the phone, or arrange a transfer if it was above my card limit.
    So I rang again on Thursday, was put on hold for a minute, the lady told me the break fee of zero and I happily accepted to pay nothing :) Just had to wait till Letter 1 arrived so we could sign it and accept a specific rate.

Get you now. I read it first that you could just phone up and get the break fee there and then like other banks. It's still the same hoop jumping. I was getting my hopes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Time2GetFit

Contacted UB a couple of weeks ago regarding breakage fee......like many it took the usual 5-10 days to receive the letter.

Looked at the breakage cost and didn’t make financial sense to change.......we’re 2 years into 4 year fixed at 2.6%. Not the end of the world we’ll sit tight I thought.

Then I notice in the letter it states the rate expires in September 2022 not April 2022 (we drew down in April 2018). Assumed it was an error and contacted them and informed me all was correct. The 4 years Is just a term used but the Loan Offer I signed would have said the date of expiration. Checked and sure enough it says 300922 (in that format).

I’m not denying I signed it etc and not the biggest of deals but surely such a practice is extremely misleading bordering on mis-selling?? Indeed I may have to potentially overpay for a number of extra months than planned should rates continue to have dropped below our current 2.6%. This wasn’t the first time we had switched provider and I’ve never heard of such a practice. My assumption which I feel is reasonable is I was signing up for 48 months at the rate.

Anyone else any experience of it? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ygaurav

Hi All

I hope I can piggyback on this thread to get some advice on Bank Of Ireland Funding fees.

I am in the process of moving my mortgage from Bank of Ireland (3 years fixed, contract finishing in Oct 2020) to Ulster Bank. Bank of Ireland has stated that its funding fees 596 euros.

This feels too high to me, does anybody know how it is calculated? Is there any way around it?

thanks

ygaurav wrote: »
    Hi All

I hope I can piggyback on this thread to get some advice on Bank Of Ireland Funding fees.

I am in the process of moving my mortgage from Bank of Ireland (3 years fixed, contract finishing in Oct 2020) to Ulster Bank. Bank of Ireland has stated that its funding fees 596 euros.

This feels too high to me, does anybody know how it is calculated? Is there any way around it?

thanks

If you fixed 2.5 years ago the funding fee would have been quite high. I remember ptsb funding fees were almost 2%, Boi would have been lower, but is now about 0.4%

€596 and I'd hazard a guess that the balance on your mortgage is about €450,000?

Contacted UB a couple of weeks ago regarding breakage fee......like many it took the usual 5-10 days to receive the letter.

Looked at the breakage cost and didn’t make financial sense to change.......we’re 2 years into 4 year fixed at 2.6%. Not the end of the world we’ll sit tight I thought.

Then I notice in the letter it states the rate expires in September 2022 not April 2022 (we drew down in April 2018). Assumed it was an error and contacted them and informed me all was correct. The 4 years Is just a term used but the Loan Offer I signed would have said the date of expiration. Checked and sure enough it says 300922 (in that format).

I’m not denying I signed it etc and not the biggest of deals but surely such a practice is extremely misleading bordering on mis-selling?? Indeed I may have to potentially overpay for a number of extra months than planned should rates continue to have dropped below our current 2.6%. This wasn’t the first time we had switched provider and I’ve never heard of such a practice. My assumption which I feel is reasonable is I was signing up for 48 months at the rate.

Anyone else any experience of it? Thanks all

Ulster always sell a time defined fixed rate and the end date is advertised on almost all promotional advertising.

People need to read what they are signing. You can't use the argument that you "thought"

But 2.6% is fairly decent anyway.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Ulster always sell a time defined fixed rate and the end date is advertised on almost all promotional advertising.

People need to read what they are signing. You can't use the argument that you "thought"

But 2.6% is fairly decent anyway.

100% acknowledge as I stated that I signed it so it’s fundamentally on me.

I do think in terms of financial products hearing and signing up to 4 years would lead to the conclusion that it lasts 4 years / 48 months from date of drawdown not an indicative 4 years.

2.6% is a good rate but wherever savings can be made to shorten the length of mortgage is something I’ll try and take advantage of wherever possible.

Agreed though And it’s a relatively inexpensive lesson. Still think it’s bordering on misselling but that’s just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Weighting up switching in the summer when our 3 year fixed with BOI is up which is currently set at 3% and moving to KBC 2.25% assuming can get LTV under 60% which I think we should be able to wrangle. BOI have said best rate they can put us on now is 2.9% but have reached out to branch where we originally took out mortgage to see if they can do better, waiting to hear back on this.

As it is 3% v 2.25% would save us €70 a month on mortgage based on figure KBC provided our monthly payments would be.

A few questions I have:

At the time we took out mortgage with BOI they gave us 2% of our mortgage back within I think it was a month of DD, can they clawback this amount? They are also due to provide us with a further 1% after 5 years (Aug 2022) which is another factor when weighting up decision to switch as will need to forego this payment if move to KBC.

Just got a quote from our solicitor to do the switch and if coming in quite high final total of €1,885. Her fee is fine €900 excluding VAT. There are a few other fees on her quote that never knew about and have been estimated, see below:

Fees to Bank of Ireland to take up Title documents €63.00
    Fees to Bank of Ireland to discharge existing mortgage €40.00
    Up to date Folio File Plan €40.00
    Commissioner for Oaths €30.00
    Fees to Land Registry to register Mortgage €175.00
    Search Fees (Estimated) €180.00
    Planning Search (Estimated) €250.00
    TOTAL: €778.00

It is mainly the last 3 I am querying as these are the pricier ones is there any way of saving here? I know we paid Registration Duty of €915 when we originally bought and for Searches of €200, so is it correct we have to pay once again?? It probably is but just annoying is all..

Doing basic maths on this our net saving taking everything into account based off 2 year term would be around €300 was hoping to clear a lot more than this been honest. I suppose the fact we get the 3k switching payment here and now when it is needed is a factor that pushes me towards going ahead with it but have heard of some horror stories of people switching to KBC too.

Sorry about long post and any suggestions on this would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

1. Clawbacks - Banks are not allowed to clawback any cashbacks since an EU change in 2016. Some banks have restrictions in place that say you have to be with your previous bank for 1+ year to discourage multiple switches in 1 year.
    2. Mortgage Fees - Solicitor fees can sometimes be negotiated however the land registry fees, etc are standard across the board. You might benefit to get a few more quotes for switching, for example Direct Law in Skerries have lower fees. You can then use this to ask you solicitor to lower their fees especially if they had managed your original or previous mortgage.

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Weighting up switching in the summer when our 3 year fixed with BOI is up which is currently set at 3% and moving to KBC 2.25% assuming can get LTV under 60% which I think we should be able to wrangle. BOI have said best rate they can put us on now is 2.9% but have reached out to branch where we originally took out mortgage to see if they can do better, waiting to hear back on this.

As it is 3% v 2.25% would save us €70 a month on mortgage based on figure KBC provided our monthly payments would be.

A few questions I have:

At the time we took out mortgage with BOI they gave us 2% of our mortgage back within I think it was a month of DD, can they clawback this amount? They are also due to provide us with a further 1% after 5 years (Aug 2022) which is another factor when weighting up decision to switch as will need to forego this payment if move to KBC.

Just got a quote from our solicitor to do the switch and if coming in quite high final total of €1,885. Her fee is fine €900 excluding VAT. There are a few other fees on her quote that never knew about and have been estimated, see below:

Fees to Bank of Ireland to take up Title documents €63.00
    Fees to Bank of Ireland to discharge existing mortgage €40.00
    Up to date Folio File Plan €40.00
    Commissioner for Oaths €30.00
    Fees to Land Registry to register Mortgage €175.00
    Search Fees (Estimated) €180.00
    Planning Search (Estimated) €250.00
    TOTAL: €778.00

It is mainly the last 3 I am querying as these are the pricier ones is there any way of saving here? I know we paid Registration Duty of €915 when we originally bought and for Searches of €200, so is it correct we have to pay once again?? It probably is but just annoying is all..

Doing basic maths on this our net saving taking everything into account based off 2 year term would be around €300 was hoping to clear a lot more than this been honest. I suppose the fact we get the 3k switching payment here and now when it is needed is a factor that pushes me towards going ahead with it but have heard of some horror stories of people switching to KBC too.

Sorry about long post and any suggestions on this would be appreciated, thanks.

We switched from BOI to UB back in April 2018. We were in a similar position to yourself but we actually broke out of our fixed slightly earlier so was also concerned about potential clawback of the 2%. Spoke with our solicitor who was handling the switch at the time (their fees were €1,280.50 all in) who explained they may / may not try to claw it back but the final redemption figure is what you have to pay to switch and that will include all relative penalties (breakage cost in our case as we were exiting within 3 years) and charges.

Once you pay that figure your contract with BOI is complete and they can’t come back asking for the money they gave at the start.

They didn’t claw back the money in our case. Don’t UB have 2.2% fixed rate you could avail of? If you do go down that route see my post a few above and make sure you know when the rate expires!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Brilliant thread folks!

Wonder could someone answer the below for me please regarding a switch.

I have a tracker mortgage with PTSB which I'm keeping, some years back we took out another small mortgage for house renovations so as not to loosed the tracker rate. Had never really thought much about it until this thread and I checked the VR which is 5.8%!! My question is, if I switch, what do I use as the LTV?, is it the values on the main tracker mortgage ?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement